DOJ vs. Microsoft - Out for Blood

By nascent in News
Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 01:00:39 AM EST
Tags: Politics (all tags)
Politics

I'm going to take a wild guess and posit the DOJ/Microsoft negotiations went less than smoothy. A few comments by prosecuting council suggest that the DOJ is out for some serious payback.

From Wired:

"The findings of fact reveal a serious pattern of anti-competitive conduct," Klein said in reference to findings handed down by a federal judge last year. "I think that a remedy ought to be commensurate with those practices."
- Assistant Attorney General Joel Klein

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o DOJ/Micros oft negotiations
o Wired
o Also by nascent

DOJ vs. Microsoft - Out for Blood | 8 comments (8 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I really, really hope that MS get t... (2.00 / 1) (#7)
by pwhysall on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 03:55:01 AM EST

pwhysall voted 1 on this story.

I really, really hope that MS get the proverbial kicked out of them. After spending an afternoon picking the bits out of a shafted IE5 installation I really, really want them busted.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

We know.... (1.00 / 1) (#6)
by Velian on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 10:00:19 AM EST

Velian voted -1 on this story.

We know.

I say hold off until we have hard f... (2.00 / 1) (#8)
by marlowe on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 10:40:20 AM EST

marlowe voted 0 on this story.

I say hold off until we have hard facts. And it would be nice if we had an option in the vote pulldown for this.

--- I will insist on my right to question ---

DoJ's ToDo List ... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by hattig on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 12:14:08 PM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

DoJ's ToDo List
---------------

1) Break up Microsoft into 34 different companies
2) Make Microsoft open source all their software
3) Create a series of business management videos showing what happens when you abuse your position. Use Microsoft as an example.
4) Triple Punish Microsoft for all post-trial offences (e.g., you need IE to install Office2000 update - without it you can't install this software, thus forcing the consumer to have IE)
5) Eat the last Twinkies in America

When will it end. I'm so sick of it... (2.00 / 1) (#3)
by Emacs on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 02:38:58 PM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

When will it end. I'm so sick of it all. Actually I think the US government should buy MS and make them the software division of the government. That way they could keep and eye on them and they could take all of the profits and dump them into social security... or something. sigh

Like anyone who broke the law, Micr... (3.00 / 1) (#2)
by bmetzler on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 02:48:56 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

Like anyone who broke the law, Microsoft should pay. And they should be sentenced to the fullest extent of the law. -Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

Maybe a few hints, but there doesn'... (2.00 / 1) (#5)
by Serf on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 03:22:53 PM EST

Serf voted -1 on this story.

Maybe a few hints, but there doesn't seem to be anything really new here.... Not too much substance in that article.

I'm always intrested in the MS+DOJ ... (4.00 / 1) (#4)
by FlinkDelDinky on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 07:50:40 PM EST

FlinkDelDinky voted 1 on this story.

I'm always intrested in the MS+DOJ thing. Here's an intresting link about MS's business practices (should probably be its own article submission): http://www.billparish.com/20000222fraudfactsupdate.html

DOJ vs. Microsoft - Out for Blood | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)