Linux Handheld PDA - Yopy

By nascent in News
Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 03:05:38 AM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

Some of you might have seen this before, but I thought it was so darned cool that I wanted to post it here in case a few of you missed it. It's the Samsung Yopy.

• Plays MP3s & MPEGs
  • Browser
  • Optional digital cam
  • 100% Open Source
  • 4" True Color Backlit TFT LCD touch screen
  • 65,536K colors, 240x320 resolution
  • USB, serial, IR port
  • 206 Mhz 32-bit ARM RISC w/32MB RAM
This little bundle of happiness is expected to hit shelves around May at $400 or so. Maximum Linux has the story, but this is pretty much what's there.

Dang. Wish I could find the original link I had, some great pics were on that site. If you know it, please reply to this. Merci.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o Maximum Linux
o story
o Also by nascent

Linux Handheld PDA - Yopy | 10 comments (10 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Hattig saw this at CeBit - apparent... (none / 0) (#1)
by Fish on Sat Mar 25, 2000 at 08:47:31 PM EST

Fish voted 1 on this story.

Hattig saw this at CeBit - apparently its spelt "Yopy", and its on p.27 of PC Magazine (May 2000, UK edition I suppose) as well! "It looks like a colour Windows Palm-suze PC and boasts an extensive feature set ... There's no built-in GSM or Bluetooth capability. It weights 225g" - Charles Mclellan, from the afore-mentioned magazine. And it has handwriting recognition.

the links to the site and to the st... (none / 0) (#2)
by Philipp on Sat Mar 25, 2000 at 09:40:21 PM EST

Philipp voted 1 on this story.

the links to the site and to the story are switched

alias kn 'killall -9 netscape-communicator'

I really wish they'd make PDA's wit... (none / 0) (#3)
by Skippy on Sat Mar 25, 2000 at 10:18:30 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

I really wish they'd make PDA's with higher res screens. I'd even give up color for an 8-bit (or even 5-bit) greyscale. You just can't really browse the web at 240x320. Hell it's hard enough at 640x480. I think that with the coming of wireless connectivity (ala Richochet) I think that's where PDAs are really going to find another killer app. But no one wants to browse a truncated version of the web. Other than that, this thing sounds really cool. I wonder if you can get to the command line on the thing without major hacking.

Higher Res Screens (none / 0) (#8)
by hattig on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 05:47:22 AM EST

The problem is, the higher the screen resolution, the more costly it is. 320x240 pixels is the best you are going to get for a Palm-format colour device, at least this year. Microsoft have their cleartype technology, which would make the above seems like 960x240, but only for text, and only in certain situations (monochrome on a colour device!).

I would prefer a monochrome (4 or 8 bit depth) display that is 640x480, but the same size. All the advantages of Cleartype, but in both directions, and you lose colour (but Cleartype loses you colour anyway!). Nice smooth characters, clearer displays etc. Palm will be dead in two years unless they make their display 320x320, the competition is just getting so much better.

Another problem of having a higher resolution in the same area is that it gets harder to read unless you scale everything up. I.e., a 10 pixel high font at 100dpi should be a 20 pixel high font at 200dpi (I think you will be able to get away with 15 pixels high, though). It is hard to read text that is 1/20th of an inch high!

Anyway, the future is with Readers (e-books). These devices are basically a combination of Paperback or Pocket size e-book readers, GSM/GPRS mobile phone, browser, PIM, email and fun games etc. These will become viable when 200dpi displays can be made cheaply - but colour is not important.

Re: Higher Res Screens (none / 0) (#10)
by fatjim on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 08:27:46 PM EST

What you've described is essentially a Newton Messagepad 2000. They were
wonderful, useful devices, but failed totally in the marketplace. People (as
in, non-geeks) just didn't want them.

Neat story, but I'd rather see the ... (none / 0) (#5)
by fluffy grue on Sat Mar 25, 2000 at 10:23:46 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Neat story, but I'd rather see the heading article include a link and most of the details be in the extended writeup, as this conserves front page space, encourages people to enter the comment areas, stays more concise, and makes it easier to just skim the headlines for interesting links. What good is a link to an external story if you've got to read the entirety of its information before you get to the link?
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

The $400 price tag on this Linux PD... (none / 0) (#4)
by shepd on Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 02:14:03 AM EST

shepd voted 1 on this story.

The $400 price tag on this Linux PDA proves that Windows CE is the real cost barrier of most PDAs.

Re: The $400 price tag on this Linux PD... (none / 0) (#9)
by hattig on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 05:52:29 AM EST

Estimates say that Microsoft charges around 60cents for each copy of WinCE on such a device. The cost comes from the higher processor speed and better battery technology, and the needless colour displays that all these devices use.

OTOH, a 206MHz StrongARM processor is damned fast for a device like this. I wonder if they have shoehorned XMMS into it?

Re: Linux Handheld PDA - Yoppy (none / 0) (#6)
by Greener on Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 12:23:47 PM EST

Pics from CeBIT can be found here and mirrored here.

100% Open Source? (none / 0) (#7)
by fluffy grue on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 02:34:12 AM EST

Does this mean that they'll release the schematics and allow people to improve upon them and re-release them as they see fit? If so, cool. If they're jsut talking about the software, though, not so cool...
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Linux Handheld PDA - Yopy | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)