History of the 'net

By Inoshiro in News
Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 07:46:10 PM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

History of the 'net was originally a flat text file I found somewhere (I don't remember where). I've since updated it with some HTML formating and HTTP links to all the associated bits of knowledge.

If you can name the last names of all the people mentioned throughout the story, you've obviously had a lot of experience with the web.

All comments are welcome :)

o History of the 'net
o Also by Inoshiro

History of the 'net | 12 comments (12 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
It clearly relates to culture - whi... (none / 0) (#6)
by nascent on Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 03:47:24 AM EST

nascent voted 0 on this story.

It clearly relates to culture - which belongs here - but I just don't give a salamander's tush. No offense. =/
nascent

Great, funny, gotta love the links ... (none / 0) (#1)
by ramses0 on Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 03:53:32 AM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

Great, funny, gotta love the links and the first-name-dropping... but

where does IE figure into the picture, and why did java happen before mosaic? that part is confusing

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: Great, funny, gotta love the links ... (none / 0) (#9)
by Inoshiro on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 12:52:04 AM EST

I'm not sure. If you could point to the section, we might be able to revise it. I know I rewrote the tail end (because it was quite bad previously). :-)

[ イノシロ ]
Re: Great, funny, gotta love the links ... (none / 0) (#11)
by ramses0 on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 02:42:07 AM EST

But as good as Larry's creation, Perl, was, it couldn't do everything, so God created Scott. Scott announced Java, and this was big news. Now Java really pissed Bill off, because Bill also created Blackbird, and Java killed Blackbird(1). This was bad because killing Blackbird also meant killing the Microsoft Network. And many rejoiced over that, but that, too, is another story.

...(snip four paragraphs)...

And God realized he had put Bill down too far. So then God made it so that Marc's Netscape and Mosaic could run on Windows. We already know that Bill had to licence Java from Scott. We know that Bill missed the boat for not beating Tim to the punch on the World Wide Web. The last straw was for God to make it possible for Larry's Perl to run on Bill's Windows.

...but note, I didn't click any of the explanatory links ... my mind has already been made up on a lot of those ;^)=

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: Great, funny, gotta love the links ... (none / 0) (#12)
by Inoshiro on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 05:41:28 PM EST

As I said, I didn't write it. It'd be nice for the triumphant return of Bill to be when he creates his own Mosaic clone, and integrated it. ;-)

Then, of course, the "dark horse" which had been shown during the MS trial, Linux, could be expanded upon, as well as Jamie, the man who helped OpenSource with a lizard.

[ イノシロ ]
This was cute. It needs more to be ... (none / 0) (#3)
by Skippy on Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 11:02:06 AM EST

Skippy voted 0 on this story.

This was cute. It needs more to be funny though.

What kind of god would look at a po... (none / 0) (#7)
by marlowe on Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 11:27:29 AM EST

marlowe voted 1 on this story.

What kind of god would look at a pointer based language and declare it good? Must be one the elder gods.

Re: What kind of god would look at a po... (none / 0) (#8)
by Inoshiro on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 12:51:13 AM EST

You have to remember, the only languages popular back when C came out were Cobol, Fortran, and Basic. True, there were the odd Pascal people, but it was a language in its infancy at the time :-)

Now we have Perl, Python, C++, Java, Eiffel, etc. Now we can talk about OO and cleaner function oriented languages. But C was designed to implement Unix, and Unix helped it. It was good :-)

[ イノシロ ]
Quickies!... (none / 0) (#2)
by Strange Charmed One on Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 11:44:45 AM EST

Strange Charmed One voted 1 on this story.

Quickies!
Feel the urge to put excessively cute little quotes into your .sig?

JUST SAY NO!

If you or one of your friends is frequently plagued by this tendency, Help IS available- Ask me how.

I can come up with a few of the las... (none / 0) (#5)
by scorpion on Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 07:40:03 PM EST

scorpion voted 1 on this story.

I can come up with a few of the last names, but I have been around longer than most of them so it is understandable.

I knew all the last names. My god..... (none / 0) (#4)
by analog on Sun Mar 26, 2000 at 07:46:10 PM EST

analog voted 1 on this story.

I knew all the last names. My god... my wife is right... I am a geek...

Re: I knew all the last names. My god..... (none / 0) (#10)
by Dacta on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 01:05:45 AM EST

I didn't even realize they didn't print the second names - I had to go back & check you were right. That's scary!

History of the 'net | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)