PBS Airs "Code Rush" on March 30

By Emacs in News
Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 04:15:36 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

On March 30th PBS will air Code Rush , a documentary that takes an inside look at Netscape during 1998. From the article:

"The one-hour documentary follows bright and quirky Netscape Communications engineers as they pursue a revolutionary venture to save their company. Through the program's verité style, viewers see human and technological dramas unfold in the collision between science, engineering, code and commerce. "

The show doesn't air until Thursday, but I thought it would be nice to give everyone some advance notice. Too many times when that other weblog would post something of interest on TV it would be 3 hours before it aired and I wouldn't see the post until the next morning.

Enjoy!

o Code Rush
o Also by Emacs

PBS Airs "Code Rush" on March 30 | 6 comments (6 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Neat! This is the first I've heard ... (none / 0) (#2)
by lachoy on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 11:35:16 AM EST

lachoy voted 1 on this story.

Neat! This is the first I've heard about this. It would be interesting to hear what everyone who saw the show has to think about it.
M-x auto-bs-mode

Ah, Netscape. I maintain that 3.01 ... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 11:57:13 AM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Ah, Netscape. I maintain that 3.01 was the last usable navigator release. Should be an interesting show.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Ah, Netscape. I maintain that 3.01 ... (none / 0) (#5)
by pwhysall on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 07:37:37 AM EST

Point 1. It's no good saying "Show X is on Channel Y" without telling us which country. The Web is an international medium, dontcha know. Point 2. Mozilla is mighty fine when you put the Navigator 3 chrome on it :).
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown
Re: Ah, Netscape. I maintain that 3.01 ... (none / 0) (#6)
by rusty on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 08:38:21 AM EST

Point 1: In the US, PBS ("Public Broadcasting System") is a national public tv network, not just a channel. Depending where you are, the channel will be different, but it'll always be PBS. I'm sorry we don't have any info for elsewhere, but I have no idea if anyone else will be showing this porogram.

Point 2: I expect Mozilla to be the next usable release of Netscape. When they have the remaining bugs ironed out, we can all just pretend the whole 4.0 series never happened. We'll emulate the British royal family's attitude toward India. (Sorry, I couldn't resist) ;-)

____
Not the real rusty

How accurate is this documentary? ... (none / 0) (#3)
by bobsquatch on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 02:32:39 PM EST

bobsquatch voted 0 on this story.

How accurate is this documentary? I'm assuming it's better than TNT's "Pirates of Silicon Valley," but that's not much of a stretch IMHO.

Support your local PBS station. Cr... (none / 0) (#4)
by eann on Mon Mar 27, 2000 at 03:38:14 PM EST

eann voted 1 on this story.

Support your local PBS station. Cringely's 3-hour special was very good. Robot Wars looks really cool. Why not a show about Netscape? Most mainstream, widely-available television (in the US, anyway) doesn't even get new tech, much less try to make thoughtful shows about it. If PBS doesn't do it, who will? :)

Full disclosure: My wife is an employee of the local PBS affiliate, and I've been known to volunteer there, too. Auction's coming up next month!

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

PBS Airs "Code Rush" on March 30 | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)