Spicing up the Millionare Show

By JDogg in News
Thu Mar 30, 2000 at 05:52:36 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

As the ratings success of ABC's Who Wants to be a Millionare continues to amaze me, I've come up with an idea for a new fourth lifeline that would keep the show fresh and bring in a wealth of sponsor revenue for Regis and the gang.

Most of the viewing public knows what the three millionare lifelines are (phone a friend, 50-50, poll the audience). I propose that the producers introduce a fourth lifeline into the mix. Contestants would have the opportunity to "surf the net." For a show that uses such a technologically concentrated theme and studio look this seems like it would be a natural match.

When the Net lifeline is used, the monitor in front of the contestant would switch to a browser interface. Using a keyboard and mouse (which would have to be incorporated into the controls), the contestant would have a minute to surf the net in order to get information to aid in answering the question.

It would seem that this would be in the best interest of ABC. They could charge big bucks for a search engine to be used as the official engine of the site (the contestant would start at this engine to begin his/her search). It's a no brainer that IE and Netscape would be fighting to get their browser on the show. The lifeline would also be entertaining to the viewers as the screen would shift to the browser screen to show exactly how the contestant is navigating the net.

The only potential snag would be if some content from www.teensluts.com popped up on the screen. I'm sure that this is a precaution that the producers would work out with the search engine and broswer companies in advance.

I'm thinking of writing the show and letting them in on this idea (with an eye on some royalties:) ). Who knows, maybe Kuro5hin.org will help someone win a cool million. (Although Rusty would probably only allow it if they ran Linux)

o Kuro5hin
o Who Wants to be a Millionare
o Also by JDogg

Spicing up the Millionare Show | 29 comments (29 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Old News, especially since the UK h... (1.00 / 1) (#12)
by pwhysall on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 09:56:38 AM EST

pwhysall voted -1 on this story.

Old News, especially since the UK has been subjected to the drivel that is WWTBAM for over a year now.

Slightly OT, I think Rage Against The Machine had it dead right on the video for "Lay Down In The Fire" when they spoofed the show, calling it "Who Wants To Be Filthy F*@!ing Rich".

I hate programmes like this that are designed to engender greed and nothing else.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Nitpick (OT) (none / 0) (#22)
by zztzed on Thu Mar 30, 2000 at 06:48:25 PM EST

ObNitpickSinceI'mAnObsessiveRageFan: The song is called "Sleep Now in the Fire"

Re: Nitpick (OT) (none / 0) (#23)
by rusty on Thu Mar 30, 2000 at 09:23:16 PM EST

I resisted the urge to pick that nit myself. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Nitpick (OT) (none / 0) (#28)
by zztzed on Tue Apr 04, 2000 at 01:27:31 PM EST

Obviously you're not as obsessive as I am, then :)

NitPickAck (none / 0) (#24)
by pwhysall on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 02:14:33 AM EST

Doh.

I *know* that. It was early :)
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

And mozilla. Although it would be a... (4.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 09:59:06 AM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

And mozilla. Although it would be a riot to watch netscape leak memory and explode live on TV.

____
Not the real rusty

Good idea, except that I'd hate to ... (none / 0) (#6)
by Skippy on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 10:13:48 AM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

Good idea, except that I'd hate to waste my minute changing from the crap search engine they might end up with to one that actually is worthwhile (Google).

Hmmm. I am a contestant and I need ... (none / 0) (#4)
by hattig on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 11:05:52 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Hmmm. I am a contestant and I need to find out in a minute what the capital of zimbabwe is (is it harare?). Google. "Capital of Zimbabwe". Tucows. Damn. (how did Tucows get there?)

Ah! third entry down - it is in fact harare and I have wasted one of my get-out clauses.

good concept, even though i hate th... (1.00 / 1) (#2)
by ladybug on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 11:24:58 AM EST

ladybug voted 1 on this story.

good concept, even though i hate that stupid show.

Who wants to feed the hungry?... (none / 0) (#14)
by dgfitch on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 11:30:48 AM EST

dgfitch voted -1 on this story.

Who wants to feed the hungry?

Of course, "Who wants to be a milli... (none / 0) (#8)
by fluffy grue on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 12:06:29 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Of course, "Who wants to be a millionaire"'s questions are already far too easy as they are. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

It's not just that I don't care abo... (none / 0) (#15)
by marlowe on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 12:28:14 PM EST

marlowe voted -1 on this story.

It's not just that I don't care about game shows (though I don't). It's that I'm sick of reading about them. I've got game show story overload.

That is an awesome idea. I'd love t... (none / 0) (#9)
by julian on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 01:02:29 PM EST

julian voted 1 on this story.

That is an awesome idea. I'd love to see them use it.
-- Julian (x-virge)

While am I certainly loathe to endo... (none / 0) (#16)
by Teneo on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 02:00:44 PM EST

Teneo voted 1 on this story.

While am I certainly loathe to endorse anything that will help line the pockets of Regis Philbin or ABC, this _is_ a cool idea. --Teneo

What can you find in a minute? Mos... (none / 0) (#5)
by bmetzler on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 03:04:22 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

What can you find in a minute? Most likely they'd have the browser pointed to Compton's Online enclyclopedia (on AOL!) and then you'd try to find the answer.
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

I don't actually know what time of ... (3.00 / 1) (#10)
by eann on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 04:50:12 PM EST

eann voted 1 on this story.

I don't actually know what time of day the show is taped, but the typical east coast congestion between 6:00 and 10:00 might make things tricky. I guess that's the risk of using the lifeline.

Now I want to go create a bunch of bogus trivia pages (with incorrect answers) all over the place, just to see if I can trip someone up. :)

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

This is the wrong site! Perhaps you... (4.00 / 4) (#11)
by Anonymous Coward on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 06:00:46 PM EST

Anonymous Coward voted -1 on this story.

This is the wrong site! Perhaps you were looking for a "suggestions" email box somewhere on www.abc.com. But in any case, this idea wouldn't work anyway. 1) 1 minute is an annoying wait 2) 3 lifelines is enough, 4 might make things unbalanced) 3) can we say, "java irc client with 10 really smart friends waiting?" 4) how about, "www.sometriviasite.com"? Not good.

Jargon (3.33 / 3) (#29)
by Anonymous Coward on Wed Jun 27, 2001 at 04:16:24 PM EST

Jargon?

Network lag could prove to be anti-... (none / 0) (#3)
by rongen on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 07:47:54 PM EST

rongen voted -1 on this story.

Network lag could prove to be anti-climactic. Not to mention the fact that watching someone else browse the web is usually a frustrating experience ("USE GOOGLE, MAN! GEEZ!") :)
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Yes! Can't wait until the $64K que... (none / 0) (#13)
by HiRes on Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 11:00:32 PM EST

HiRes voted 1 on this story.

Yes! Can't wait until the $64K question is "What is the standard diameter of a manhole cover?" and the contestant attempts a Yahoo search for "manhole"... (Love to see original content at K5, btw. Much better than just a list of links.)
wcb
wait! before you rate, read.

Re: Yes! Can't wait until the $64K que... (none / 0) (#17)
by rusty on Thu Mar 30, 2000 at 08:12:25 AM EST

Love to see original content at K5, btw. Much better than just a list of links.

I wholeheartedly agree :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Yes! Can't wait until the $64K que... (none / 0) (#18)
by JDogg on Thu Mar 30, 2000 at 11:32:51 AM EST

I totally agree! I think this site needs more culture and less techonology:)

***It's like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, he's Ben Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED-UP BAR!!!***
-- Jay from Dogma
Re: Yes! Can't wait until the $64K que... (none / 0) (#19)
by your_desired_username on Thu Mar 30, 2000 at 01:25:47 PM EST

'Who wants to be a Millionaire' is not culture - it is shallow,
greed-generating sensationalism. It's about as cultured as powerball.

Re: Yes! Can't wait until the $64K que... (none / 0) (#20)
by rusty on Thu Mar 30, 2000 at 01:33:05 PM EST

And what is more directly in tune with American culture than shallow, greed-generating sensationalism? You may not like it (I don't like the show either) but it's our culture. And, when has mass culture not been about greed and sensationalism, anyway?

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Yes! Can't wait until the $64K que... (none / 0) (#25)
by HiRes on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 09:03:58 AM EST

cul·ture (klchr) n.

1. a.The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.
b.These patterns, traits, and products considered as the expression of a particular period, class, community, or population: Edwardian culture; Japanese culture; the culture of poverty.
c.These patterns, traits, and products considered with respect to a particular category, such as a field, subject, or mode of expression: religious culture in the Middle Ages; musical culture; oral culture.

2.Intellectual and artistic activity, and the works produced by it.

3. a.Development of the intellect through training or education.
b.Enlightenment resulting from such training or education.

4.A high degree of taste and refinement formed by aesthetic and intellectual training.

etc., etc.

I claim that "culture" as used in the K5 masthead is a neutral word in the sense of defeinition 1a, much like "quality" was a neutral word until all these bastard automotive service shops started talking about "quality" service and "quality" care. I want to shake them and scream, "Dammit, man what kind of quality?!?"

Anyway, "culture" to me means discussing the good with the bad.

And if your post wasn't meant to be taken seriously, nevermind. :-P
wcb
wait! before you rate, read.

Culcha culcha culcha (3.00 / 1) (#26)
by rusty on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 09:31:56 AM EST

I agree. And, if I may just be autocratic for a moment, "culture" as used in the slogan, means whatever I damn well want it to mean. And I meant it to mean exactly what you say: Not the mistaken notion that "culture" == "high culture" or "ahhht" (snooty pronunciation), but "culture" == "stuff people do". I was a cultural studies major for a while, and man, will that ever broaden your idea of what culture is. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Don't Ask Jeeves is a good article ... (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by evro on Thu Mar 30, 2000 at 12:07:38 AM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

Don't Ask Jeeves is a good article related to this idea.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Re: Spicing up the Millionare Show (none / 0) (#21)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Mar 30, 2000 at 03:58:07 PM EST

Lame

Re: Spicing up the Millionare Show (none / 0) (#27)
by Anonymous Hero on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 03:36:55 AM EST

Well, IF I were gonna be on the show, i would make a website that had a java chat room in it. Then I would have every smart person I know in there. Use it like the Call a friend except I can talk to all my friends and they will tell me the answer.

Spicing up the Millionare Show | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)