New twist in the Coolio case

By fluffy grue in News
Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 10:47:40 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

Well, it seems that the newest turn of events in the DDoS attacks is that Coolio is claiming innocence. He admits to having defaced websites, and that his "confession" to the DDoS was simply him joking on IRC (he must have been high on cough syrup again). Just goes to show that you have to be careful what you say, especially online with all those larger siblings watching all the time.

o Coolio is claiming innocence
o high on cough syrup
o Also by fluffy grue

New twist in the Coolio case | 13 comments (13 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
So who's the bigger fool? Coolio, o... (2.00 / 1) (#3)
by Demona on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 05:10:12 PM EST

Demona voted 0 on this story.

So who's the bigger fool? Coolio, or the journos who swallowed his tale hook, line and sinker?

It's always good policy to follow u... (2.00 / 1) (#2)
by ramses0 on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 05:16:29 PM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

It's always good policy to follow up and present an unbiased view of 'news'. --Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Story is good, but post is bad. Too... (2.00 / 1) (#7)
by Velian on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 09:23:48 PM EST

Velian voted -1 on this story.

Story is good, but post is bad. Too much opinion, "Well" is irritating, etc. Don't post it. Let someone else. :)

I am fascinated with the tendency o... (4.00 / 1) (#1)
by rongen on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 09:28:46 PM EST

rongen voted 1 on this story.

I am fascinated with the tendency of the FBI to use scapegoats to get the "real culprits" to relax thier diligence because they believe someone else has been arrested in thier stead. Personally I think Mojo Jojo is behind all these DoS attacks! :)
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Much more interesting than the orig... (2.00 / 1) (#4)
by kraant on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 09:37:19 PM EST

kraant voted 1 on this story.

Much more interesting than the original article. I say post it...

ps. Rusty I hope you don't mind me using HTML in the voting explanation it's just that scoop doesn't recognize CRs from netscape on solaris

"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...
HTML in voting coment (2.00 / 1) (#8)
by rusty on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 10:50:23 PM EST

Not a problem. There should be an "allowed html" string below the box. Anyway, they're just treated like normal comments.

____
Not the real rusty
Ha ha ha, interesting turn of event... (2.00 / 1) (#6)
by julian on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 10:00:35 PM EST

julian voted 1 on this story.

Ha ha ha, interesting turn of events.
-- Julian (x-virge)

I'm sorry, I can't seem to make mys... (2.00 / 1) (#5)
by emjay on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 10:47:40 PM EST

emjay voted 1 on this story.

I'm sorry, I can't seem to make myself ph34r anyone named "coolio". I am following this story though, it is amusing.
-------------------------
We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Re: New twist in the Coolio case (2.00 / 1) (#10)
by Inoshiro on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 01:56:25 AM EST

(sarcasm)
"he has been using computers since he was 3 years old and spends about 16 hours a day on the Internet, "

Yeah, who needs to do anything else. :-)

"A friend of Moran's who requested anonymity told CNN.com that Moran is intelligent and cocky and that he and his friends regularly drink cough syrup to get high. "

Look, the strange fellow is being hunted by police, time to trash talk him! Wow, it's just like Jerry Springer!
(/sarcasm)

Does anyone else hate the society that the US seems to foster? "Turn in your parents for extra credit" isn't just for Hitler youth anymore (see Jerry Spinger topics in the area :-()..

Ahh well. The decline of western civilization -- continues..

[ イノシロ ]
Rant 0x00 (3.50 / 2) (#11)
by TomG on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 05:51:27 AM EST

He's just a script kiddie!

I, so far, have had four experiences in my life which were influenced by "coolio" and the DoS attackes which he allegedly did.

The first time was watching him try to take over an IRC channel. Yeah, pretty damned lame. What's even lamer is that he couldn't do it. And this is efnet, efnet doesn't have a chanserv to deop crackers. I helped prevent him do it. He had a client connected to some split server that he might have been able to gain ops on. I sat in the channel to prevent him from gaining ops. That was my part. I did tell him what I thought of script kiddies, but he didn't seem to notice.

The second event was the DoSes themselves. I was wondering (out loud, too) who would have the motivation to do such a thing? One of the hypothesis was that a script kiddie did it. I discounted this hypothesis on account that even a script kiddie couldn't be that lame to have nothing to do except collect cracked systems and organize an attack. There would be a supreme lack of a real life involved. I guess coolio could prove me wrong.

The third event was www.rsa.com being cracked. (Actually, I think he just cracked the dns box.) Lame[0] testosterone surge to do something he thinks is funny and sign his name to it. (Serves RSA right for referring to hackers as terrorists, if you ask me. :-)) Again, lame.

The fourth event was hearing about his arrest in the news. I have not actually read any articles [1] (well, skimmed some). But what I've gathered is that the reporters say he's a teenaged computer junkie (how many of YOU fit that description?). I also heard that they called EFNet#goonies a CHAT ROOM. Bleah.

If I were to believe that Coolio is the worst thing the internet has in it's cracker/script kiddie arsenal, I'd feel much safer as a netizen.

I am also largely unimpressed with CNN et al. (But you knew that.)

*sigh*

TomG

[0] Yes, I did use the word lame alot. Synonyms are welcome. :-)

[1] Due to the fact that I'm not interested in reading anything that seems to be under the impression that a computer programmer is a terrorist.

Re: Rant 0x00 (2.00 / 1) (#13)
by fluffy grue on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 02:03:21 PM EST

[0] Yes, I did use the word lame alot. Synonyms are welcome. :-)
Stupid, braindead, mungy, blechy, crack-smoking/crack-headed, brainless, clue-by-four-needing (i.e. "He needs to be hit by a clue-by-four"), retarded, gimpy, crippled (the last two go back to the original meaning of 'lame'), Microsoft-style coding, fubar, unintellegent, funny(sarcastic), stinks monkey poo, and quite a few others come to mind. :)

Now, to describe someone who is lame in a noun form, you can always call them "a slug-stuffing marmot-fucking cocaine-snorting gerbil" or, worse yet, "a Microsoft programmer."

Sorry, no offense intended to any slug-stuffing marmot-fucking cocaine-snorting gerbils out there.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD! (2.00 / 1) (#12)
by Strange Charmed One on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 09:24:37 AM EST

The only things I would like to see petrified are trolls. This is easy enough as trolls turn to stone in sunlight. :-)

Rusty has an effective policy dealing with trolls- he deletes them! You are the first troll that I have seen round kuro5hin (even if you are a polite one). If you have something constructive to add to one of the discussions, then please do so- if not please crawl back to slashdot where you appear to have the run of the place.

I believe that I speak for most of the site when I express these opinions, and believe that this is satisfactory answer to your question. The main reason I am replying to your post is to help Rusty spot this troll so it can be deleted.
Feel the urge to put excessively cute little quotes into your .sig?

JUST SAY NO!

If you or one of your friends is frequently plagued by this tendency, Help IS available- Ask me how.

Re: PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD! (none / 0) (#14)
by rusty on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 02:20:39 PM EST

These things are all true. Look: as though by magic, the troll is gone! :-)

Please do notify me when you spot a troll (let me know the story and cid, if possible). Troll patrol is coming soon. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

New twist in the Coolio case | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)