AMD and Intel Possibly to Release New Procs Next Week

By in News
Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 01:31:30 AM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

This C|Net story reports that AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) is planning to release their 1 gigahertz Athlon x86 processor on Monday. This is in response to Intel's "strategic" marketing plan to also release their 1 gigahertz Pentium III Coppermine early next week as well.

This move may prove fatal to Intel (or at least damage them a little) because many reports say that the Coppermine 1 gHzs are not fully ready to go, and that the release is only to keep up with AMD and retain its name as an innovator.

AMD plans to release 850 mHz through 950 mHz processors at the same time; details on Intel's move are sketchy at best.

A determining factor in which processor large OEMs choose will be who can supply the most. This may be where AMD shines, because though they have suffered some shortages of chips, Intel's manufacturing speed and output has caused problems that have plagued the company since October.

o C|Net story
o Also by

AMD and Intel Possibly to Release New Procs Next Week | 13 comments (13 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Just as long as it doesn't become a... (none / 0) (#6)
by Velian on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 10:02:06 PM EST

Velian voted 1 on this story.

Just as long as it doesn't become a daily "AMD announces 1.11GHz," "AMD announces 1.12GHz" kind of thing, this story is fine. 1GHz is a good achievement, even if it's just a PR thing (which it is, IMO).

Re: Just as long as it doesn't become a... (none / 0) (#10)
by mike on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 10:18:27 AM EST

The reason, I think, that it was posted was because it is such a huge jump in PR terms, and it may be the one thing that can get AMD ahead of Intel in the public and large OEM view. Everyone knows that you can overclock and supercool an AMD proc to 1 GHz, but these are regular air cooled. That's quite an acheivement.

One also doesn't get to see Intel's business practices this clearly - they are releasing something that does not fully work ahead of time to retain their market share. It's quite obvious that they are not trying to make money by making a better product, but by their humongousness. Microsoft, anyone?
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
mike

YAY Athlon... (none / 0) (#5)
by stimuli on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 10:08:30 PM EST

stimuli voted 1 on this story.

YAY Athlon
-- Jeffrey Straszheim

I don't know. The hardware wars wil... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 10:12:51 PM EST

rusty voted 0 on this story.

I don't know. The hardware wars will always go on. Good analysis, but the story doesn't affect me very much. I'll leave this decision to the rest of you.

____
Not the real rusty

Wow. That's a lot of megahertz. ... (none / 0) (#4)
by Perpetual Newbie on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 10:19:26 PM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted 1 on this story.

Wow. That's a lot of megahertz.

Meanwhile, I find that my p200 is more than enough for what I need to do, and I know guys getting along on less.

I really do not think kuro5hin is t... (none / 0) (#2)
by Nyarlathotep on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 12:07:57 AM EST

Nyarlathotep voted -1 on this story.

I really do not think kuro5hin is the best place for the latest interpretations of the chip makers propoganda.. or the perpetual stream of newer and better flat screen displays. The technology and culture slant of this site means we should ignore things with no culture significance unless it really has a crapload of technological significance.. which this dose not. Actually, I would not mind seing this story hit the front page if that stupid story about the 1Ghz P3s and the stupid story about bigger monitors would go away. This story at least attempted to provide some analysis of a situation instead of just marketing hype.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

Why are people trying to drop jet e... (none / 0) (#3)
by Demona on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 12:14:32 AM EST

Demona voted 0 on this story.

Why are people trying to drop jet engines into cars? Why isn't more attention being paid to make systems more efficient and less wasteful? Planned obsolescence, continual sales revenue, keeping up with the Joneses. Transmeta at least is something different. Intel and AMD just seem like the same song and dance in a different wrapper.

Re: Why are people trying to drop jet e... (none / 0) (#13)
by stimuli on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 06:35:18 PM EST

The answer is obvious: A stupid public.

Seriously, the way that most folks make their purchasing decisions is very ill informed. And the way to successfully market to them is to play on what we know are their irrational opinions, not what is objectively of value.

Ask a computer purchaser what his I/O throughput is. Ask him what the term means and why it is important. Want more fun: ask your typical computer salesman the same question.

Most folks are very ignorant of real performance measurement, but that "megahertz" thing is something they believe is important. Intel knows this.
-- Jeffrey Straszheim

This was already posted at Slashdot... (none / 0) (#7)
by Novalis on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 01:14:22 AM EST

Novalis voted -1 on this story.

This was already posted at Slashdot, and we all hate duplicated news.
-Dave Turner

That may not necessarily be a bad thing. (none / 0) (#8)
by static on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 04:06:38 AM EST

I think a lot of people are verging on giving up on SlashDot. If I had a choice, I know I'd rather read the comments here.

Wade.

Re: This was already posted at Slashdot... (none / 0) (#11)
by fluffy grue on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 02:11:37 PM EST

I hate duplicated news on a single site. However, I, and many others on here, don't read Slashdot anymore, and if we were to perenially not get a story just because Slashdot already did, then we'd miss out on a lot of useful stuff. I, for one, came to K5 so that I could keep on getting the interesting tech news and get some actual informed feature content without having to put up with the boatloads of crap they've been posting (as well as the completely useless comments).
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: This was already posted at Slashdot... (none / 0) (#12)
by stimuli on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 06:29:11 PM EST

I have nothing to add, but I'd just like to second the vote. I "end up" looking at slashdot still, from time to time. Luckily some of my coworkers still do the slashdot thing, so I can usually be warned if I'm missing any thing truly neat on the other side.

But really, I'd like nothing more than to completely ignore slashdot, and if a story is worth talking about here, it shouldn't matter if that slashdot has carried it or not.

And while we're on the subject: YAY ATHLON.

-- Jeffrey Straszheim

Intel is running scared. (none / 0) (#9)
by static on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 04:09:02 AM EST

Didn't they have troubles with their 800MHz PIII chips? It was along the lines of complete failure for embarressingly high numbers of product. A problem AMD were not having, incidentally. I would be surprised they don't have this problem with their 1GHz CPUs this time...

Wade.

AMD and Intel Possibly to Release New Procs Next Week | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)