Software Quality and OpenSource

By Inoshiro in News
Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 09:43:21 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

Why do Linux distributions work so well? Why are true show-stopper bugs, or bugs which inhibit proper usage so rare? There's is an interesting discussion on Advogato that addresses this.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad
If you just read the top of the essay, you'll come away with only half the story. The discussion, following the essay, really touches upon the important issues which some people might not know about. Having contributed a few patches to Open Source projects myself (Dgen/SDL had a few functions cleaned up, Gnome tasklist applet had a feature added), I understand this fairly well.

If anyone else here has had good experiences working with Open Source software (hmm ;)), or submitted patches, I'd like to hear about it. Software development is, after all, Good Stuff (tm).

o interestin g discussion
o Advogato
o Also by Inoshiro

Software Quality and OpenSource | 6 comments (6 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I read that today, and was also muc... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Thu Mar 30, 2000 at 11:17:48 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

I read that today, and was also much enlightened. And yes, absolutely read the comments. They're better than the essay, and extend it to a great degree.

____
Not the real rusty

hooray for the dogfood-factor ;-)... (none / 0) (#2)
by djzoot on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 02:08:41 AM EST

djzoot voted 1 on this story.

hooray for the dogfood-factor ;-)
There is no K5.

Re: Software Quality and OpenSource (none / 0) (#3)
by Emacs on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 05:23:02 PM EST

Wow... they really have some intelligent, well thought out comments over there.
I'm very impressed, and thouroghly enjoyed reading that. Thanks for the link.
I'm actually thinking about starting my own project and this has given me some
inspiration. My only real problem is lack of time and a pesky non-compete
agreement from my employer ( which may or may not be a problem :)

Anyways, it's nice to see some documentaion as to why open-source works. We are
deluded with why it's bad (nobody to sue, are you gonna trust your business to
a bunch of rogue programers etc...) and I felt this pretty much hits on why
these standard excuses are wrong.

Well, it's Friday and I need to get moving.

Cheers

Re: Software Quality and OpenSource (none / 0) (#4)
by Emacs on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 05:24:13 PM EST

I'm wondering why my post has that horrible font...Am I doing something strange
here Rusty?

Re: Software Quality and OpenSource (none / 0) (#5)
by Inoshiro on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 12:30:39 AM EST

Plain-text posts are wrapped with pres. That uses a fixed-width font on most browsers, which looks crufty if you've not gone and made X do nice things with fonts. Scoop will also fix this in a later revision :-)

[ イノシロ ]
Re: Software Quality and OpenSource (none / 0) (#6)
by Anonymous Hero on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 05:55:27 PM EST

I couldn't post on advogato, so i'll ask my question here: I'm starting to work on an Open Source project, and i go to shcool, so i have no "real" programming experience. How does a programming team work together to develop and debug a project? Do they use a program similar to CVS to share the code? Do they have a bug tracking system? What is a normal way of debugging a program?

Software Quality and OpenSource | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)