Locusts could be driving your next car

By ramses0 in News
Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 09:20:54 AM EST
Tags: Science (all tags)
Science

New Scientist has an article describing how neural nets based on the brains of locusts could help cars of the future avoid collisions.

The coolest part is that the researchers played parts of Star Wars (where tie-fighters fly towards the viewer) and these robo-bugs were 90% effective at dodging them.

Although the writeup is kindof long, I'd love to be submitting this as a quickie.

o article
o Also by ramses0

Locusts could be driving your next car | 8 comments (8 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Yay! hackhackhack This reminds me ... (2.00 / 1) (#3)
by fluffy grue on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 02:13:06 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Yay! hackhackhack This reminds me quite a bit of Mark Tilden's BEAM Robotics stuff, by the way.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Oh, I just adore biology-inspired t... (2.00 / 1) (#4)
by nascent on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 03:19:23 AM EST

nascent voted 1 on this story.

Oh, I just adore biology-inspired tech. Damn, why isn't there a +2...?
nascent

What heppens if the electonic locus... (4.50 / 2) (#2)
by hattig on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 04:23:05 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

What heppens if the electonic locust brain suddenly deels the need for,erm,company? Will our cars suddenly start veering off and hitting other cars in some kind of mechanical bug-lust?

Re: What heppens if the electonic locus... (none / 0) (#7)
by ramses0 on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 11:40:41 AM EST

hahahahahahahahahahah!!!!

whew. that was painful. the thought of two itty-bitty locusts driving miniature starwars podracers in the hood-ornaments of some giant sport utility vehicle... glancing at one another, winking, checking each other out, revving the engine. ;^)=

Thanks, hattig... you made my day!

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Alright, alright, we need quickies.... (1.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 07:44:00 AM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Alright, alright, we need quickies. I get it already! ;-)

____
Not the real rusty

They'd better be sure to get all th... (3.00 / 1) (#6)
by marlowe on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 08:00:18 AM EST

marlowe voted 1 on this story.

They'd better be sure to get all the bugs out of the system. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

A cool idea, lets ditch the AI pers... (2.00 / 1) (#5)
by hardcode on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 08:15:43 AM EST

hardcode voted 1 on this story.

A cool idea, lets ditch the AI perspective for the tried and tested Mother Nature. Anyway from what I've seen locusts have to be better than your average BMW driving sales exec ;)

Re: Locusts could be driving your next car (none / 0) (#8)
by mattdm on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 04:18:41 PM EST

Wow. Sounds like a great idea, until I think of all the bugs splattered across my windshield.

Locusts could be driving your next car | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)