Why There's No Microsoft Settlement

By rusty in News
Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 08:13:26 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

The inimitable Brunching Shuttlecocks have blown the lid off the veil of secrecy shrouding the MS-DoJ talks, and revealed for the first time the "real" reason there's no settlement. From Brunching:

Lawyer for Microsoft: Okay, so we're agreed. My clients will agree to charge everyone the same price for Windows, we'll allow people to remove Internet Explorer from the desktop...

Lawyer for the Department of Justice: Without the Trial by Fire.

Read the rest of the real truth at brunching.com.

o Brunching Shuttlecocks
o the real truth
o Also by rusty

Why There's No Microsoft Settlement | 20 comments (20 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
One word: Quickies :-)... (1.00 / 1) (#1)
by Skippy on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 12:26:08 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

One word: Quickies :-)

Cock on, fellow Shuttlecocks!... (1.00 / 1) (#3)
by fluffy grue on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 12:39:08 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Cock on, fellow Shuttlecocks!
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

From the desktop? What about from w... (2.00 / 1) (#5)
by pulsar on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 05:11:19 PM EST

pulsar voted 1 on this story.

From the desktop? What about from window$ itself?

Well, even if this story *wasn't* g... (2.33 / 3) (#4)
by Anonymous Coward on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 06:11:44 PM EST

Anonymous Coward voted 1 on this story.

Well, even if this story *wasn't* good, it'd get posted anyway. Every single story gets posted, it seems. It just takes longer for the bad stories to get posted.

Maybe all stories by *rusty* get posted... (none / 0) (#7)
by joeyo on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 10:43:24 PM EST

I dont think everything gets posted... I think that everything by Rusty has been posted (and who's complaining :)

Re: Maybe all stories by *rusty* get posted... (none / 0) (#11)
by rusty on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 01:52:48 AM EST

One of these days, though, I'm going to get all wound up and post something that's just rotten, and you're all gonna smack me down for it. And I'll be so proud. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Maybe all stories by *rusty* get posted... (none / 0) (#12)
by ramses0 on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 04:43:18 AM EST

You masochist, you ;^)=

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: Maybe all stories by *rusty* get posted... (4.00 / 2) (#15)
by Anonymous Coward on Tue Apr 04, 2000 at 08:06:27 PM EST

That's not it.

I was honest in my vote on *THIS* story.

But my point is that ALMOST everything gets posted. Even the really really bad
stories that 90% of the people don't like seem to get posted. It's just a
little uneven. Some silly people hit 1 on their votes on horrible stories and
just, though I hate to say this (it's normally not fair), truly have *bad*
judgement.

Like I said, I normally don't feel like I have the right to say someone has bad
judgement on somehting like this, but in this case, *SOME* of these people just
plain do. Or rather, they're just not hard enough on stories. If something is
really bad, don't feel sorry for them - vote -1. Otherwise you need to start
feeling sorry for all the lost hits this site will receive =( Realistically, it
wouldn't make the site lose hits, but it might attract the wrong kind of
intelligence level.

PS: I wish plain text was default. There's no serious consequences of using
simple HTML and forgetting to hit HTML mode, but there sure is of NOT using
HTML then forgetting to hit Plain Text.

Re: Maybe all stories by *rusty* get posted... (none / 0) (#16)
by rusty on Tue Apr 04, 2000 at 09:15:28 PM EST

But, if 90% of the people didn't like them, they *couldn't* get posted. I agree with you that people seem to vote 0 when they meant -1 rather more often than they should. I encourage people to really vote how they feel. But, seriously, I don't see the imbalance that you seem to. It only takes a score of -4 to drop a story (one got dropped this morning BTW). It takes +16 or +17 to post one.

I see your point though. There is disagreement about stories, and I think the source of a lot of it is people have different ideas about what should be appearing here. Is it a one or two stories a day essay site, or a as many as we can news site? Different people want different things. Hopefully having sections will help people focus their sense of what is right or wrong for the site.

Stick around, and keep pushing. Every community has a great need for a naysayer. And I do think you're right, that the -1 button should be used rather more often than the zero button.

About html vs. text-- if you're accepting cookies, whatever you set the selecter to should stick around, until you log out (logging in won't change it). There will be a pereference you can set for this as well.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Maybe all stories by *rusty* get posted... (5.00 / 1) (#17)
by Anonymous Coward on Wed Apr 05, 2000 at 06:49:23 PM EST

Well, no. 90% didn't hate it.

I think it should be dumped at -2 or -1. The thing is, many people will vote 1
and say, "This would be good for quickies..." and give the idea that they don't
like it, yet they voted 1. They're just *too nice*.

I am all for a high number of stories per day. Slashdot claims to get hundreds
of submissions per day. But there's a reason why you don't see them all,
excluding duplicates, posted - because a good number of them just plain suck.

And that's the same here. A good number of them just plain suck, and people
don't seem to know how to judge.

The most reasonable solution I can think of is something that, IIRC, you've
already got planned: adding more categories and then letting us filter them out
like on Slashdot. But if this is to work, then everything can't be in "news,"
etc. If there was a system like this, I'd probably filter out "Security,"
"Funny," (I have a great sense of humor - but, meaning no offense, I find 99%
of the humor on K5 and /. very silly and, heh, well, dorky. But I don't insult
someone because of their sense of humor. I just don't have the same kind
sometimes) and a couple others.

That'd probably work, assuming people can put things in the right categories.
I'd also like to filter out stories posted by specific people (allow us to
write-in, perhaps. And if we made a typo in the name, oh well. I just would
like the ability to). No names... :)

Re: Maybe all stories by *rusty* get posted... (none / 0) (#18)
by djzoot on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 02:24:57 AM EST

rusty sez: ".... It only takes a score of -4 to drop a story ...."

is that really true? my neg vote on the stone-souper article put it to -4 and then it was posted anyways ...

reading through lots of old k5-discussions :), -rob
There is no K5.

Re: Maybe all stories by *rusty* get posted... (none / 0) (#19)
by rusty on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 02:32:44 AM EST

It's based on total score. So twelve +1 votes and 6 -1 votes would give a story a score of 6. It needs to be a total score of -4 to drop. I.e. you may have been the fourth -1 vote, but there were lots of +1 votes outweighing you. Does that make sense?

____
Not the real rusty
Doh... (3.33 / 3) (#20)
by Anonymous Coward on Wed Jun 27, 2001 at 04:14:04 PM EST

This was pre-plain text.

Re: Well, even if this story *wasn't* g... (none / 0) (#8)
by fluffy grue on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 12:31:52 AM EST

If only everything did get posted, just perhaps into different sections (I've suggested to Rusty that instead of a 'post' or 'don't port', give a choice of sections for a story to be posted to, even if it might be the "dungheap" or something), since there have been a few discussions I've been looking forward to which never happened because the article was rejected at large.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Well, even if this story *wasn't* g... (none / 0) (#9)
by Inoshiro on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 12:37:15 AM EST

AFAIK, some things don't get voted. As with any majority rule situation, some people will not get what they want. A +1 means it will get posted. A 0 means you won't help it, but you won't hinder it, either. And a -1 means it will hopefully be slowed, until it expires.

Rusty's sister had a story posted here a while ago, or at least it was posted to the inbox. It was moderated out of existance. That weird "backstreet" one-liner story (which, really, needed more) disapeared into the bit bucket.

What goes through depends on you. If you don't want it, vote -1. Others will likely do so. It takes only a few -1s (overall, -5 or so) to kill a story, whereas it requires 15 to 20 +1s to post it.

[ イノシロ ]

Re: Well, even if this story *wasn't* g... (none / 0) (#10)
by rusty on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 01:51:56 AM EST

The post threshold is 3% of users, currently around 16. The "dump" threshold is -4 (hard, unchanging number). So it's *heavily* weighted in favor of "dump" really. There have been soveral really good ideas for how to deal with the preponderance of postings, and the tendancy for things to be posted. The system will develop and evolve, and, for the record, I always appreciate input, even in the form of complaints.

____
Not the real rusty
True (3.33 / 3) (#21)
by Anonymous Coward on Wed Jun 27, 2001 at 04:16:42 PM EST

True dat.

Cute. Very cute. And probably not... (1.00 / 1) (#6)
by nascent on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 06:57:40 PM EST

nascent voted 1 on this story.

Cute. Very cute. And probably not that far from reality, judging by King Poobah's hedging at the meaning of the word "browser".
nascent

Probably not too far from the truth... (1.00 / 1) (#2)
by gaijin|dog on Fri Mar 31, 2000 at 08:08:54 PM EST

gaijin|dog voted 1 on this story.

Probably not too far from the truth.
gaijin|dog

If pain tells us we are alive, what does apathy say?

Microsoft will not be broken up next week. (none / 0) (#13)
by xah on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 09:46:49 PM EST

Mediation has failed. This will likely precede the court answering the question: has Microsoft violated the Sherman Antitrust Act? The question hinges on whether the judge finds that Microsoft has engaged in monopolistic business practices. This will not include the remedy. If Microsoft has violated the Act, then the court will hold hearings later on to determine whether they should break Microsoft up or do something else.

Why There's No Microsoft Settlement | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)