Linux supports 2TB's of memory!

By pulsar in News
Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 03:49:59 PM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

I just read that Linux now supports up to 2TB's of memory! SuSE has made a patch to the Linux kernel, 2.2.14 to be exact, that allows Linux on Alpha to use as much as 2TB of physical memory. No I didn't typo, that's two TeraBytes! That should help aruge that Linux can scale well. [editor's note, by rusty] I didn't even know there *was* that much memory. Total. Anywhere. :-)

o patch
o Also by pulsar

Linux supports 2TB's of memory! | 21 comments (21 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Phew well I guess that putting linu... (none / 0) (#7)
by kraant on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 01:50:08 AM EST

kraant voted 1 on this story.

Phew well I guess that putting linux on IBM big iron stuff is a lot more feasible than it was a week ago *g* IBM will be pleased.
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

Well.. This is somewhat weak. ... (none / 0) (#5)
by Inoshiro on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 02:11:38 AM EST

Inoshiro voted 0 on this story.

Well.. This is somewhat weak.

[ イノシロ ]

One of the faults MS had with linux... (2.00 / 1) (#8)
by evro on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 02:16:33 AM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

One of the faults MS had with linux was that it could "only" use 2 gb (or 4?) of memory. Jeez, 2,000,000 MB of memory (yes, I know that's not exact...). 10 years from now we'll look back on it and go, man, that was a lot back then. Actually, it will probably still be a lot. I remember my first computer had a 20 meg HD. Now there are 40 GBs selling for a few hundred dollars. 2000x larger. so the standard now is 128mb memory, 2000x that is 256 gigs, only 1/8 of 2 tb. I think this oughta keep linux set for a while... Then again, if servers are already at 4 gb memory, 2000x that would be 8tb, so maybe not. Of course, plenty can happen between then and now.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

"16K is more memory than anyone wil... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 02:22:36 AM EST

rusty voted 0 on this story.

"16K is more memory than anyone will ever need." or whatever. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Well, it's neat, but not really any... (none / 0) (#9)
by fluffy grue on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 03:21:18 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 0 on this story.

Well, it's neat, but not really anything newsworthy IMO...
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

2 TB appears to be overdoing things... (none / 0) (#6)
by Strange Charmed One on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 05:40:16 AM EST

Strange Charmed One voted 0 on this story.

2 TB appears to be overdoing things but given how fast computers are improving it may be necessary, and there is nothing like a good future- proofing.
Feel the urge to put excessively cute little quotes into your .sig?

JUST SAY NO!

If you or one of your friends is frequently plagued by this tendency, Help IS available- Ask me how.

Re: 2 TB appears to be overdoing things... (none / 0) (#21)
by fluffy grue on Tue Mar 07, 2000 at 07:37:35 PM EST

Thing is, for a LOT of stuff it helps a lot to have an addressing mechanism which can handle huge datasets. Just because you don't have 2TB of physical memory doesn't mean it isn't useful to, say, mmap() a 2TB database file. Virtual memory is limited by your physical memory's address space.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I thought this patch was made a lon... (none / 0) (#3)
by hattig on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 06:39:24 AM EST

hattig voted 0 on this story.

I thought this patch was made a long time ago. This will please people with Alpha systems running Linux though.

640k should be plenty! ... (none / 0) (#4)
by bmetzler on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 10:33:04 AM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

640k should be plenty!

Well, in 10 years even 2 TB well not be enough. But for now, it satisfies. Of course, we may never see 2 terabytes in a consumer device, but enterprise databases use a ton of RAM.

-Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

This is cool, but is kind of Linux ... (none / 0) (#2)
by rongen on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 03:46:25 PM EST

rongen voted 0 on this story.

This is cool, but is kind of Linux specific and doesn't really act as a catalyst to discussion... A write-up tacked onto it might do ths trick if the poster had something in mind, but I am generally not interested in seeing this here (there are linux sites where this would be more appropriate).

Thanks for the heads up though! Now where am I going to get a motherboard big enough to hold all that RAM!?! :)
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Re: Linux supports 2TB's of memory! (none / 0) (#10)
by pulsar on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 04:11:35 PM EST

Cool! I posted this to /. three times and it was rejected. Good to see there is a place out there that isn't driven by corporate money...

Anyways, this is helpful to those who want to run massive databases but do not want to run Tru64 UNIX or OpenVMS on their Alphas. You'd be surpised how many databases there are out there that use more then 4GB of physical memory. Previously Linux supported up to 2GB and there was a patch floating around to do 4GB, but hopefully this 2TB patch will be included in the next verion of the Linux kernel. AFAIK the only architecture that Linux supports that could handle this much memory would be the AlphaServer GS140's (formerly 8400's) on up. FYI the AS GS140's can handle up to 32GB of physical memory.

This also helps push Linux futher into the "high end" arena!

Re: Linux supports 2TB's of memory! (none / 0) (#12)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 06:02:29 PM EST

Yes. Now when is that patch coming along that will let Linux work with files greater than 2 gigs? That, IMO, is where the real need is today.

Standard disclaimers apply, YMMV, etc. After all, that just (0 1 == my two bits). :)

Re: Linux supports 2TB's of memory! (none / 0) (#14)
by pulsar on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 07:30:56 PM EST

This is one of several issues being addressed by the upcoming ext3 filesystem.

Re: Linux supports 2TB's of memory! (none / 0) (#15)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 09:07:59 PM EST

No trolling here. Go back under your bridge.

Re: Linux supports 2TB's of memory! (none / 0) (#16)
by pulsar on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 09:26:19 PM EST

No trolling here. Go back under your bridge.

Umm, excuse me. Someone asked when Linux was going to support files larger then 2GB and I told him/her. Support for that will be in ext3. It is not a limitation of Linux that files cannot be larger then 2GB, it is the ext2 filesystem! Now how is that trolling?

Re: Linux supports 2TB's of memory! (none / 0) (#17)
by rusty on Tue Mar 07, 2000 at 06:54:01 AM EST

Now how is that trolling?

Wow. I think we may have seen another "social experiment" in troll dynamics. I'm pretty sure, from reading the thread, that in fact the "No trolls here" post was the troll, i.e. it was an attempt to rile you up and defend yourself against an obviously unfair accusation.

Well, that was interesting.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Linux supports 2TB's of memory! (none / 0) (#18)
by pulsar on Tue Mar 07, 2000 at 12:31:28 PM EST

I figured it was a troll, but to be sure (you can never fully tell) I had to correct him/her!

Well, that was interesting.

Yes, quite interesting. Unfortunately IMO these types of trolls are going to be near impossible to stop, unless anonymous postings are banned...

P.S. Great site!

Re: Linux supports 2TB's of memory! (none / 0) (#19)
by rusty on Tue Mar 07, 2000 at 03:23:11 PM EST

Eh. I don't care much about them. If there get to be too much, I'll just shut off anonymous posting.

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Linux supports 2TB's of memory! (none / 0) (#11)
by henrik on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 05:50:47 PM EST

Hmm.. assuming you use 256 mb dimms, you'd need 8192 of 'em to get 2 TB memory. I would really like to see that motherboard.

BTW, you think 2 TB would be enough to download all the pr0n on the net? ;-)

-henrik

Akademiska Intresseklubben antecknar!

Re: Linux supports 2TB's of memory! (none / 0) (#13)
by rongen on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 07:13:35 PM EST

BTW, you think 2 TB would be enough to download all the pr0n on the net? ;-)

No. But this is inevitably what it will be used for.... Wa Wahhh..... :)
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Moore's Law (none / 0) (#20)
by Zeros on Tue Mar 07, 2000 at 06:46:59 PM EST

I don't know if Moore's Law apply to RAM storage, but if it apply, then 2 TB of memory would be a normal thing by 2020...

Linux supports 2TB's of memory! | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)