Coolest MP3 Player Yet

By evro in News
Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 04:27:39 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

The Rome MP3 Player is shaped like a cassette (remember cassettes?) and can be played in your car's cassette deck or even in your walkman. Wired had a review about a week ago. The downside is that it only holds 32mb and costs US$249 + S&H. Quite a lot of money for such little product, but I think the idea is way cool.

o Rome MP3 Player
o review
o Also by evro

Coolest MP3 Player Yet | 11 comments (11 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Someday... maybe soon... I'll be ab... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 03:34:29 AM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Someday... maybe soon... I'll be able to justify buying one of these. I'm sorry, but 32M is just not enough to do it for me. The idea is very cool though.

On another note, that has to win for "worst website I've seen in a long time."

____
Not the real rusty

Their website is the biggest pile o... (none / 0) (#2)
by hattig on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 06:48:15 AM EST

hattig voted -1 on this story.

Their website is the biggest pile of doggy-do I have ever seen in the civilised world. Super-Aliased text on a black background with no words of any sort.

And $249 for 30 mins of music? I have a suggestion - use cassettes. You can fit 90 minutes on them, and they only cost $1. Now if they put an IBM microdrive inside that cassette formfactor - 6 hours of music - and the price didn't go up by much... that would be neat and worth reporting on.

There are lots of CD based MP3 players coming out now anyway, for only about $200 more than the equivalent CD player, and this price differential will drop as they become more popular. Being able to write all my favourite songs to 1 CD would be great.

Re: Their website is the biggest pile o... (2.00 / 1) (#5)
by shepd on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 04:33:27 PM EST

>What would be great is a mini-CD format drive (6 or 8 cm disks, 100 or 200Mb capacities respectively - RICOH sell CD-Rs of that size) because that would be small, yet powerful, and require no amazing technology to read disks, being based upon a 20 year old technology.

I'd go for 200 Mb disks, but I would prefer the player supported all sizes and CD-RW. The Mambo player seems to fit the bill, but as of last week, I STILL couldn't buy one. >:-(

Oh well, eventually it'll happen. Good things take time.

If only... (2.00 / 1) (#8)
by static on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 06:23:45 PM EST

A MiniDisc player the size of a cassette would work really well. I think the drive sprockets in the player would get in the way, unfortunately. Ah well. Portable MiniDisc players aren't quite that expensive. Wade.

Ok, I'll vote for it, but I can not... (none / 0) (#3)
by Nyarlathotep on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 09:05:27 AM EST

Nyarlathotep voted 1 on this story.

Ok, I'll vote for it, but I can not fine out if it supports SDMI. We need to take a stand aagainst SDMI so when you post an article for a player which supports SDMI I will not vote for it unless the article says "lets keep them from making any money from this product."
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

Sounds like a cool little thing, al... (none / 0) (#4)
by pulsar on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 11:15:51 AM EST

pulsar voted 1 on this story.

Sounds like a cool little thing, although it only holds like 5 or so songs.. With that in mind I still wouldn't mind having one! Hopefully products like this (that use your existing tape deck) will be come more popular.

Will it sound good... (none / 0) (#6)
by shepd on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 04:35:57 PM EST

Most cassette decks don't have the same fidelity as CD players. So is this cassette adapter going to sound very good being played through a walkman? Or will it sound like all my other walkman tapes - like crap?

I'd read the site for answers, but it looks so horrible my eyes are beginning to bleed... :-)

Logistics (none / 0) (#7)
by mike on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 06:01:43 PM EST

Although it's a cool little toy and I'm glad someone made it, just to further the spread of such devices that play mp3s, there are a few problems logistically with such a device and most mp3 players short of ones that have a mini hard drive in them.

The fidelity will probably be too low through a cassette player for myself, especially if a lot of the mp3s you have are classical - I like to listen to classical sometimes when I work. Also, cassette players can skip and occasionally just mess up because they have moving parts. Thirdly, it's WAY too expensive, but then again most things are when they just come out, and it doesn't have enough memory. That goes for most players these days as well. Lastly, who even has a portable cassette player that works anymore (I know no one in my family doesn't anymore and we are kind of obsolete as a rule), and why would you put one in your car if you can make an mp3 player from scratch, with Linux as the OS, full ID3 support, a few gigs of space, and an LCD display for less money?

The only way that mp3 players are truly considered part of the regular music playing device category is when they are in everything - cassettes, high and mid-priced component systems, bookshelf systems, and when it's really easy to pipe music to them and there's more than 256 megs of memory (a gig will make it great, but an IBM MicroDrive will do). Removable media that could store that much would be great as well.
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
mike

Power (3.00 / 1) (#9)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Mar 06, 2000 at 07:23:25 PM EST

It would be cool if the motion of the cassette deck motors could recharge the batteries in this thing. Would they generate enough power to do this? You'd never have to worry about batteries if it could draw enough power from the cassette player.

Re: Power (none / 0) (#10)
by evro on Tue Mar 07, 2000 at 01:13:25 AM EST

That is exactly what I was thinking. but the wheels turn so slow I don't know if it would work. then again, I think compaq created (or at least patented) a way to recharge laptop batteries through typing on the kbd, so I guess anything is possible.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"
Re: Power (none / 0) (#11)
by rusty on Tue Mar 07, 2000 at 06:31:36 AM EST

Actually, with some gearing, you could probably get a pretty good feed off cassette deck wheels. I used to lurk on the wearables mailing list, and there are guys there who could do the math, and tell you exactly how much power you could get. But stranger things have been done. My question would fitting the recharger and all the electronics in the tape form factor. Seems tricky, and there's already not enough memory. I'd rather buy batteries and have them put a microdrive in there, myself. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Coolest MP3 Player Yet | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)