Interview with Chris Blizzard of Mozilla and Red Hat

By julian in News
Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 12:53:02 AM EST
Tags: Interviews (all tags)
Interviews

Linuxpower.org has an interview up with Chris Blizzard, of Mozilla and RHAD Labs fame. Chris mainly works on getting Mozilla to play nicely with Unix, and there are some very interesting bits in the interview, especially if you haven't been following Mozilla too closely.

o Linuxpower .org
o interview
o Also by julian

Interview with Chris Blizzard of Mozilla and Red Hat | 7 comments (7 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I want to read it but I think it's ... (none / 0) (#1)
by rongen on Tue Mar 07, 2000 at 10:18:55 PM EST

rongen voted 1 on this story.

I want to read it but I think it's slashdotted right now.
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Mozilla is essential.... (none / 0) (#2)
by emjay on Tue Mar 07, 2000 at 10:55:42 PM EST

emjay voted 1 on this story.

Mozilla is essential.
-------------------------
We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Re: Interview with Chris Blizzard of Mozilla and R (4.00 / 1) (#3)
by henrik on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 04:18:47 AM EST

Hmm.. I'm using Mozilla M14 to post this, and it's come a long way - NS 4.7 is going away soon, but i'm not sure if i'll use Mozilla or Konqueror (the kde2 filemanager/browser) as my main browser. They both seem to render most pages equally good, and are pretty much equally fast. They're both too unstable though. But soon.. very soon.:)

BTW, Mozilla seems to have big problems with k5 - it's not rendered correctly at all. Anyone else seen this, or is it a figment of my imagination? :)

Akademiska Intresseklubben antecknar!
Re: Interview with Chris Blizzard of Mozilla and R (none / 0) (#4)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 05:09:05 AM EST

Zax Spoken says:

Yeah actually I used Mozilla once, and met that freak Mike Shaver from the Mozilla dev team. He is really cool though. He talks a lot.

Mozilla is good. Free and new. I like new things and Mozilla is new. I like Mozilla.

Too unstable and doesnt render properly. I dont like the fact that their objective is to be compilable across platforms. I want to write a browser in xlib and c only.

Yes I am nuts. Yes my code is much gooder than me english.

Are all the real programmers dead? Do we all use perl and bloated nixen? I mean cmon. I want bare metal and love reading hex dumps. MMMMmmmm. Good.

Well, maybe I am just sick of all this bloated stuff, and nix is goood though (compared to wincrud). But I don't think that the way that it is made is for end users! I mean just try and explain the concept of being 'root'. heh

I think I am going to specialize : assembly, c, prolog, cryptography, mathematics, nlp.

Thank you for your time, and listening to my mad, mad ravings.

bye,
xtreme dinner (eggos % syrup + curolv1.2)

Btw, thanx rusty for this cool site. Slashdot is cool, but I go there mostly for laughs, (the trolls are funny) and to your site for information. Just don't get any banner ads! you have a nice elegant design here :) Oh yes, I like how you delete trolls! (Big Brother -> Rusty) hahaha :))))

P.S. Congratulations if you have read this far. If you want, I will show you a bunch of projects that I am thinking about doing with my gf (you may join me, you are welcome to):

-xlib, c, web browser for linux only ( i dont care for cross compilation, i just want a fast dedicated browser that _WORKS!!!!_ )

-um...my brain is fried. e-mail me. :)))))) If you keep hanging around here, you will be sure to hear my mad mad ravings, so just stick around.

supercoolage@hotmail.com

Re: Interview with Chris Blizzard of Mozilla and R (none / 0) (#7)
by julian on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 06:43:51 PM EST

Mozilla seems to render k5 perfectly fine for me... except I can't click the submit button for logging in. I'm running CVS from a few days ago (I compile it from CVS at least once per week, and yes, I'm writing this with mozilla.)
-- Julian (x-virge)
Re: Interview with Chris Blizzard of Mozilla and R (none / 0) (#5)
by Zeros on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 09:53:34 AM EST

Does he have something to do with Blizzard Software of Warcraft and Starcraft fame?

Re: Interview with Chris Blizzard of Mozilla and R (none / 0) (#6)
by Emacs on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 10:07:00 AM EST

Hmmmm.... interesting article. I was surprised to see him say they are targeting developers more than users. That's the first I have heard of that. My impression is that Mozilla really has a ways to go, but each milestone has been better than the previous one, so the progress is there.

They really have an uphill battle when it comes to beating IE... I'm not a MS fan, but I use IE at work and I like it. In fact *the man* (my boss) just bought me a new box with Win2000 and IE5 and I'm looking forward to see how IE5 compares to IE4. For my money IE is about the best thing to come from MS and it will be tough to beat it (For the Windows world anyways)

Well...I'm off to play with my new box and to see how many hours it takes to bring down Win2000 :)

Interview with Chris Blizzard of Mozilla and Red Hat | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)