More info on the Microsoft X-box

By Strider in News
Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 05:19:23 PM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

Microsoft's "SECRET" gaming system, known only as the X-box, has caught the attention of gamers. With a 600 mhz AMD processor, 128M of ram, an NVIDIA Video card, DVD, and a built-in modem - all for around $200 - it just seems too good to be true.

o 600 mhz
o AMD processor
o an NVIDIA Video card
o DVD
o Also by Strider

More info on the Microsoft X-box | 19 comments (19 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Gah, what is this, PlanetHardware? ... (2.50 / 2) (#12)
by fluffy grue on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 11:00:16 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 0 on this story.

Gah, what is this, PlanetHardware? More hype without any new information on vapor products which Microsoft is claiming to be developing to show their "superiority" by shoving a PC into a game console form factor.

Remember, if it all seems too good to be true, it probably is. Looks like 1e-6squishy has decided to make enemies with Sony and/or Nintendo. (It most likely wouldn't be with Sega, whose little license on the WinCE name probably gives them bunches of money even though I've yet to play any WinCE-based Dreamcast games or hear anything good about any of them.)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Gah, what is this, PlanetHardware? ... (none / 0) (#16)
by superfly on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 05:50:58 PM EST

Worms Armageddon uses WinCE and is overall very good. The only problems I have with it are:

1. The menu system is a little weird. I don't think WinCE has anything to do with that.
  2. The game occasionally freezes for a second or two when the CD drive wakes up (to loop the music, I think). I haven't noticed this on other games, but Worms does have long games during which it doesn't need to load anything. More careful programming seems the answer here. Without knowing much about WinCE or the Sega libraries, it seems like you could get around the problem using either.

So, despite my fear at seeing a Microsoft logo on my console system, I have nothing bad to say about WinCE. Damn.

Interesting to see an AMD processor... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 11:18:59 AM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Interesting to see an AMD processor in there. Is the WinTel alliance in jeopardy?

____
Not the real rusty

Actually, I could care less about t... (5.00 / 1) (#5)
by bmetzler on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 11:27:56 AM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

Actually, I could care less about the X-box. By the time it's released, it probably won't be able to keep up with other game consoles in terms of hardware capabilities.

Also, where are the games going to come from? The Playstation has games already, and theres no 'compatibility' that you need to have with a game console. Not only has Microsoft stepped out of the market that they excel in, they stepped out of the market that they can leverage their monopoly in. How can Microsoft ever expect to be successful?

Also, It probably will be a lot more then $200. However, after the 'rebates' and the MSN deal, you will be able to get it for only $200 and $25 a month for the next three years.

-Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.
This is one box I won't be buying, ... (5.00 / 1) (#4)
by hattig on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 11:46:11 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

This is one box I won't be buying, except for the fact that the Playstation 2 has crap memory cards (all the 8Mb ones have been recalled according to The Register), the Dreamcast is old hat and Nintendo will only release games with bears and flamigoes for its next generation system...

The X-Box sounds like a PC that has standardised on components (processor speed, graphics and sound, memory) instead of the current diversity. I think it is an excuse to stop having to develop DirectX for all of those different platforms, and then to kill off Windows as a gaming platform, and return the PC to the business world. Won't work of course, but the price is a killer.

$200 in a years time:

• 600MHz Athlon in quantity: $30 each
  • 128Mb RAM in quantity: $30 each
  • DVD-ROM in quantity: $30 each
  • GeForce in quantity: $40 each
  • Controllers: $10 each
  • Small HD: $30
  • Case: $5

And the prices will probably be even less than that!

Re: This is one box I won't be buying, ... (none / 0) (#15)
by fluffy grue on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 05:28:26 PM EST

The Dreamcast is "old hat"? What brand of crack are you smoking? It only came out in the USA last September, and its hardware has only *begun* to be explored. FYI, it's based on the PowerVR 2 rendering chip, which uses infinite intersecting planes, rather than polygonal primitives, to represent its geometry, which buys you a LOT of really neat side-effects, such as "free" shadows and reflections. It's also a very extensible system, already has a quite nice and large library of games (though I wish they'd come down in price... $50/game is just too much), and has interesting quirks of its design which allow for the potential of, for example, DVD playback (I don't know why that seems to be the holy grail of console game systems though).

Yeah, okay, so the PSY will have a faster CPU and hardware-level Bezier curves. Big deal.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: This is one box I won't be buying, ... (none / 0) (#17)
by hattig on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 06:12:40 AM EST

It will be old hat in Q3 2001, the expected release date of the XBox!

Okay, I was being a bit silly, but if I was waiting for a new machine to arrive before buying it, and that machine was unlikely to appear before Q3 2000 (Playstation 2 in Europe if we are lucky), then I obviously would be considering the feature set of the machines.

And the Dreamcast, whilst being a good machine, with good games, just isn't my cup of tea. 1Gb Nearly-CDs, no DVD support, WinCE... hmmm. And Sega doing their add-on errors again (Dreamcast Zip with USB, Keyboards, Harddrives, etc).

Well what OS is it going to run? I... (none / 0) (#2)
by joeyo on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 01:53:53 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

Well what OS is it going to run? It probably IS too good to be true.

no microsoft here please!... (none / 0) (#14)
by pulsar on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 02:13:09 PM EST

pulsar voted -1 on this story.

no microsoft here please!

Looks like Mr. Bill will be announc... (none / 0) (#10)
by c.jaeger on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 02:56:26 PM EST

c.jaeger voted 1 on this story.

Looks like Mr. Bill will be announcing this console gaming system (pronounced Windoze PC) at Game Developers' Conference this coming Friday 2000-Mar-10. The DVD link in the story above was very enlightening.

Looks like MS will release the wrong hardware now and maybe 4 iterations from now they may have a good console/PC system. Personally I think my nephews like the console systems because they don't have to use a keyboard, mouse or install software. Instead they turn a box on, plug a game storage device in and play like little monkeys. Simplicity is the name of the game in the console market, give MS 5 years and they might learn that.
--c.jaeger
My opinions are strictly those of a digithead swimming against the tide of mediocrity espoused by: hammernoodles, knuckleheads, and induhviduals.

It does seem too good to be true --... (none / 0) (#13)
by Anonymous Coward on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 05:15:15 PM EST

Anonymous Coward voted -1 on this story.

It does seem too good to be true -- where's the info? Maybe I missed a link? Coulda clicked on the wrong one... But I don't see any info here.

I wonder what the architecture of t... (none / 0) (#8)
by neonman on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 07:05:14 PM EST

neonman voted 1 on this story.

I wonder what the architecture of this will be. I also wonder if it will have ethernet or at least be hackable for ethernet.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

And probably is... (none / 0) (#9)
by kraant on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 11:01:16 PM EST

kraant voted 0 on this story.

And probably is
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

the PS2 will blow it away. Microso... (none / 0) (#7)
by mr. creep on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 04:18:11 AM EST

mr. creep voted -1 on this story.

the PS2 will blow it away. Microsoft Sucks. :)
brian - geeknik.net

Does indeed look awfully vaporous e... (none / 0) (#6)
by Demona on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 10:41:52 AM EST

Demona voted 0 on this story.

Does indeed look awfully vaporous even for the kings of vaporware. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't turn out to be Microsoft's "Intellivision" -- a big black hole they keep throwing money into that ends up nearly bankrupting them. State of the art changes too fast, there's already established competition who do a good job even at the low end, and even the trends toward more specialized appliance hardware don't give MS the edge they'll need to be a contender in this area.

There is nothing new here. This st... (none / 0) (#3)
by ebunga on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 11:16:46 AM EST

ebunga voted -1 on this story.

There is nothing new here. This story is way too short. Short, and with content is good. Short and beautiful is great. Short and having nothing good, or stuff that is already known is not good.

... (none / 0) (#11)
by emjay on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 05:19:23 PM EST

emjay voted 1 on this story.

My favorite quote: While Microsoft has said little in the way of particulars about the X-Box, one thing is sure: The company would not be developing a product unless it fit Microsoft's image as an industry leader - and involved great amounts of money.
-------------------------
We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Re: More info on the Microsoft X-box (none / 0) (#18)
by skim123 on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 02:25:27 PM EST

Good article on this at:

PT Barnum

Re: More info on the Microsoft X-box (none / 0) (#19)
by rusty on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 06:42:18 PM EST

From the above-linked article:

and connection to high-speed Internet services that will allow users to take part in multiplayer games as well as connect to the Web and exchange e-mail.

All software products naturally expand until they can send and receive email. Looks like Bill & Co. are attempting to move this rule into the hardware world as well.

____
Not the real rusty

More info on the Microsoft X-box | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)