IBM Developers' Party To Feature LEGO, Miguel de Icaza

By paulds in News
Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 07:26:01 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

If you're in the Boston area on Thursday evening, you may want to register to attend the launch party for IBM's new DeveloperWorks web site. Miguel de Icaza (of Gnome fame) is the featured speaker, and there will be numerous cool LEGO MindStorms robotic toys to play with. The obligitory free drinks/appetizers/video games/billiards will also be in effect. The event will be held at Jillian's, on Landsdowne Street, next to Fenway Park.

o launch party
o IBM
o DeveloperW orks
o LEGO
o MindStorms
o Jillian's
o Also by paulds

IBM Developers' Party To Feature LEGO, Miguel de Icaza | 8 comments (8 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Ok, this has to go up, because it m... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 03:31:02 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Ok, this has to go up, because it mentions Jillians. Jillians ROCKS. That place is so great-- it's a bar/video arcade. Any of you from the DC area might have been to Dave and Busters (are they national? I don't know). Jillians puts D&B utterly to shame. Comparison: D&B to Jillian's as Mickey D's is to Spago.

If any of you are in Boston and haven't been down there yet, go anyway, regardless of IBM or Legos. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Ok, this has to go up, because it m... (none / 0) (#4)
by fluffy grue on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 12:46:56 AM EST

I've been to a D&B, but it wasn't in the DC area. I didn't know there were any around there. The D&B I went to was in Atlanta, sponsored by Andover.net at ALS. It ruled. And mooching lots of free food, beer, and powercards from Andover.net was strangely satisfying, even though I spent most of the time chatting with Roblimo. ;) (Yeah, he's out there, but I can definitely appreciate that, and man can he drink.)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Ok, this has to go up, because it m... (none / 0) (#5)
by rusty on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 10:44:30 AM EST

The problem with dave & buster's is it's basically a family place. Jillian's is
  1. A real bar-- few lights, disgusting bathrooms, booze aplenty
  2. A real gameroom-- That place has everything. And the sort of dark noisy slightly menacing feel that gamerooms used to have back when they were basically just pinball and pac-man. Dave & Buster's is sanitized, Jillian's is definitely *not*! And if anyone goes, once you're good and drunk, I recommend heading down the street to Axis, which remains the only good techno dance club I've ever been to.

____
    Not the real rusty
Re: Ok, this has to go up, because it m... (none / 0) (#8)
by fluffy grue on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 05:33:45 PM EST

When I was in the DC area, I was too lame to bother with driving for an hour to get into DC proper (and I only lived 3 miles away!) and so I only bothered to go into DC for a few relatively-special occasions, such as when Cibo Matto and They Might Be Giants were at the 9:30 (not on the same night). The 9:30 rules. I also dig any place whose head bouncer has several pictures on BME.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

If someone goes can they do a write... (none / 0) (#2)
by rongen on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 04:37:39 PM EST

rongen voted 1 on this story.

If someone goes can they do a write up? I've never attended one of these things so I am wondering what the disappointment to coolness ration is....
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Re: If someone goes can they do a write...Seconded (none / 0) (#6)
by Demona on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 10:50:41 AM EST

Seconded! I hardly ever leave my house, much less my state :) and go Hearing others describe the experiences is the next best thing to being there.

Re: If someone goes can they do a write...Thirded (none / 0) (#7)
by rusty on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 11:01:04 AM EST

I'd love to read it too. I'm probably going to YAPC this year, and I'll be doing a writeup of that. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
damn... Wish I was up there. I wo... (none / 0) (#3)
by neonman on Wed Mar 08, 2000 at 07:02:13 PM EST

neonman voted 1 on this story.

damn... Wish I was up there. I work in Boston in the summer.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

IBM Developers' Party To Feature LEGO, Miguel de Icaza | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)