$6 Vision System-on-a-chip

By in News
Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 09:52:48 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

A French technology research company will auction off the technology behind a $6 Generic Visual Perception Processor (GVPP) They claim the chip can detect objects and track their movement in real time and can be made as cheaply as a microcontroller. A complete system with control circuitry should cost less than $50.

o Generic Visual Perception Processor (GVPP)
o Also by

$6 Vision System-on-a-chip | 12 comments (12 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Wow. Just... wow! I want a car that... (1.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 03:11:16 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Wow. Just... wow! I want a car that uses these to track lines on the road and drive itself. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Smaller, cheaper, faster! If stuff ... (none / 0) (#3)
by Demona on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 03:23:32 PM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

Smaller, cheaper, faster! If stuff this good is this cheap, think of what the Big Boys have? Stay even in the Great Technology Arms Race!

I like this one and it should be po... (none / 0) (#2)
by Nyarlathotep on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 05:35:34 PM EST

Nyarlathotep voted -1 on this story.

I like this one and it should be posted, but I must vote -1 because it is a hardware article and I feal I must take a stand against all the stupid hardware articles which have been posted here recently by voting no to all hardware articles.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

Re: I like this one and it should be po... (none / 0) (#6)
by fluffy grue on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 02:27:08 AM EST

If you don't like all the hardware articles, then submit other stuff. You have the powah, my friend.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: I like this one and it should be po... (none / 0) (#9)
by rusty on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 06:39:27 PM EST

Thank you, He-Man. :-)

"By the power of Greyskull...!"

____
Not the real rusty

Re: I like this one and it should be po... (none / 0) (#10)
by fluffy grue on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 09:27:16 PM EST

Can I be She-Ra instead? ;)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: I like this one and it should be po... (none / 0) (#12)
by Anonymous Hero on Sat Mar 11, 2000 at 04:39:14 AM EST

i call being man-at-arms! :) "mah daughter is fsckin HOT, yeahhhhh baby wooooooo"

Re: $6 Vision System-on-a-chip (3.00 / 1) (#4)
by rongen on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 10:16:13 PM EST

Maybe I'm tired but I was unsure, after reading, if this thing is a "mini-camera" or a specialized motion/light sensor (or whatever). Like, are we talking Dick Tracy-style wrist video-phones or is this more an embedded thing that wouldn't really work as a camera (more as a highly programmable sensor)?

Anyone know?

Thanks
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Re: $6 Vision System-on-a-chip (none / 0) (#5)
by rusty on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 11:21:02 PM EST

I think it's a sensor. Although they mention the "charge-coupled device" which is what most digital video cameras are. Basically, it's a "vision package" for electronic devices that need to be able to see. What happens is, the CCD feeds a stream of video into the hardware, which you can "train" to recognize certain objects. It does this by detecting differences between the objects video signature and the surroundings. If they really can manufacture these for 6 bucks, I think there'll be some really cool devices coming out in the near future, provided some military doesn't buy it and slap a classification on it. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Tiny robots? (none / 0) (#7)
by fluffy grue on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 02:35:15 AM EST

This is really damned cool. From what I can tell, it looks like it does in silicon what our retinas do naturally. And, of course, if it's modelled on biological processes, that means that it'll likely integrate well with Mark Tilden's BEAM Robotics stuff, as long as it's small, light and low-power enough to fit in. That is, of course, only an off-the-cuff remark; imagine what this could do for, well, *everything*.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

A new user interface for computers. (none / 0) (#8)
by Iago on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 11:13:22 AM EST

I think this would have great potential for designing a new interface to replace the mouse. One of these things could sit on your monitor and detect gestures, facial movement, eye-blinking, etc., etc. Think of the possibilities. Maybe it could dectect where my nose is pointing. Cursor control by a nose. Wow!

Re: $6 Vision System-on-a-chip (none / 0) (#11)
by Anonymous Hero on Sat Mar 11, 2000 at 04:03:02 AM EST

Now this seems like something which I would give them a patent for. But I think it's fucked that they are only licensing it to ONE manufacturer. It should be licensed to anyone who wants to make one, at a reasonable price.

$6 Vision System-on-a-chip | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)