XFree 4 is here!

By fvw in News
Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 03:55:02 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

XFree 4.0 is on the ftp server here! Everybody, let's wait with downloading this and get it when it arrives on the mirrors. We don't want to take out their servers. At least not untill I've finished downloading it. :grins. [editor's note, by rusty] Find a good mirror and get it before... well, you know.

o here
o mirror
o Also by fvw

XFree 4 is here! | 16 comments (16 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I've heard very disappointing thing... (none / 0) (#7)
by julian on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 09:43:39 PM EST

julian voted 1 on this story.

I've heard very disappointing things about it. I'm waiting for the SRPMs for RH6.1 when/if the red hat people manage to make them... I don't have the bandwidth to grab it multiple times, I hope it works.
-- Julian (x-virge)

Re: I've heard very disappointing thing... (none / 0) (#16)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Mar 13, 2000 at 04:15:21 PM EST

Make sure you check the Status document first. Support is not the same as 3.3.6 and you need to verify your particular card was ported to 4.0 already.

All I see is FreeBSD binaries so fa... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 09:55:43 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

All I see is FreeBSD binaries so far. But source packages are there.

____
Not the real rusty

Sweeeeeeeeet!!!!! Now we don't ha... (none / 0) (#4)
by neonman on Thu Mar 09, 2000 at 11:35:52 PM EST

neonman voted 1 on this story.

Sweeeeeeeeet!!!!! Now we don't have to run separate true-type font servers. We also get a lot of other fun GLX stuff and chipset support.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

Details! I want details!! ... (none / 0) (#5)
by kmself on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 12:07:42 AM EST

kmself voted 1 on this story.

Details! I want details!!

I also want a non-Slashdotted ftp site.

...and when Kuro5hin starts being a bigger source of referrals than Slash, are we going to talk about sites getting rusted into the ground?

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Re: Details! I want details!!... (none / 0) (#8)
by locutus074 on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 06:56:38 AM EST

Korea
ftp://ftp.kreonet.re.kr/pub/Linux/xfree86

Australia / New Zealand
-----------------------

ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/XFree86
ftp://x.physics.usyd.edu.au/pub/XFree86

"If you haven't gotten where you're going,
you aren't there yet." --George Carlin
Awesome! I've been waiting for thi... (none / 0) (#2)
by joeyo on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 12:50:53 AM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

Awesome! I've been waiting for this for a long time. Maybe my SiS based video card will finally work right.

Finally! I hope this means getting... (none / 0) (#6)
by fluffy grue on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 01:53:30 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Finally! I hope this means getting *real* OpenGL support in Linux finally. Then I can keep on putting off writing the software renderer for Solace even longer. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I think the waiting part was alread... (none / 0) (#3)
by henrik on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 03:55:02 AM EST

henrik voted 1 on this story.

I think the waiting part was already spoiled by ./ :)

Akademiska Intresseklubben antecknar!

Re: XFree 4 is here! (none / 0) (#9)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 08:56:10 AM EST

Great! But will it support my video card under FreeBSD yet? Getting bored of using Windows.... (hey! text-line interfaces AREN'T fun! especially when coding cgi-scripts and wanting to test them out in a graphical browser!)

Re: XFree 4 is here! (none / 0) (#10)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 09:36:46 AM EST

If it works in linux, it should work in FreeBSD. (as long as you have the same cpu architecture) The new module system in XFree86 4.0 is platform independent. (not cpu independent)

So, if your driver works on Solaris/x86, it should work on OS/2, Linux/x86 and FreeBSD!

Rad!

Re: XFree 4 is here! (none / 0) (#11)
by hattig on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 09:51:25 AM EST

My guess is that the original poster is using a Diamond S530III graphics card, powered by the Savage4+ chip.

This does not work under FreeBSD as far as I can tell. Well, it does, in 640x480 in 16 colours. Shame is, this is one of the graphics chips not supported in XFree86 4.0 in its initial release. I hope that support is incorporated very quickly.

Damn it, why did I have to buy the most irksome graphics card on the market? I am going with ATI next time, primarily because of their display at CeBIT (nice dancing girls etc). (Waits for other half to come over and beat me up)... OUCH! Not there. Please! <sweat> :-)

I too am tired of using vidcontrol to get bigger text terminals... but it is worth is for yellow on purple text. I also like running at 40x25 for that 8bit feeling. :-)

Upgrade info (none / 0) (#12)
by Emacs on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 11:41:19 AM EST

Is there a howto, or somthing of the sort, which describes the upgrade process for XFree86? I have thought about it in the past but I'm never really sure which files I need to replace etc...

I don't mind doing a litle research, and I don't mind an adventure every now and again, but sometimes I just want to read some simple point by point instructions on what to do.

HELP! ?? (none / 0) (#13)
by fvw on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 11:57:48 AM EST

Would some XFree/C guru please tell me what this means?

making all in programs/Xserver/include...
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/X/xc/programs/Xserver/include'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/X/xc/programs/Xserver/include'
making all in programs/Xserver/dix...
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/X/xc/programs/Xserver/dix'
rm -f atom.o
gcc -c -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -ansi -pedantic -Wall -Wpointer-arith -I../include -I../../../exports/include/X11 -I../../../include/fonts -I../../../include/extensions -I../../../programs/Xserver/Xext -I../../.. -I../../../exports/include -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -DSHAPE -DXINPUT -DXKB -DLBX -DXAPPGROUP -DXCSECURITY -DTOGCUP -DXF86BIGFONT -DDPMSExtension -DPIXPRIV -DPANORAMIX -DGCCUSESGAS -DAVOID_GLYPHBLT -DPIXPRIV -DSINGLEDEPTH -DXFreeXDGA -DXvExtension -DXFree86LOADER -DXFree86Server -DXF86VIDMODE -DX_BYTE_ORDER=X_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DSMART_SCHEDULE -DNDEBUG -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO atom.c
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h: In function `__signbitf':
In file included from /usr/include/math.h:348,
from ../include/misc.h:181,
from atom.c:49:
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h:117: warning: ANSI C forbids specifying structure member to initialize
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h:117: initializer element for `__u.__f' is not computable at load time
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h: In function `__signbit':
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h:122: warning: ANSI C forbids specifying structure member to initialize
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h:122: initializer element for `__u.__d' is not computable at load time
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h: In function `__signbitl':
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h:127: warning: ANSI C forbids specifying structure member to initialize
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h:127: initializer element for `__u.__l' is not computable at load time
make[1]: *** [atom.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/X/xc/programs/Xserver/dix'
make: *** [dix] Error 2

I've done all sorts of fun things with (and to) compilers, but I've never had the initializer element for ... error before.

Re: HELP! ?? (none / 0) (#14)
by fvw on Fri Mar 10, 2000 at 04:14:29 PM EST

K, I've found this problem a lot on usenet. Apparently, the solution is adding:
#define DefaultCCOptions -O2 GccWarningOptions

To the site.def. Compiling now, fingers crossed.

Re: XFree 4 is here! (none / 0) (#15)
by entropist on Sat Mar 11, 2000 at 11:14:49 PM EST

Has anyone noticed a weirdness with truetype rendering, specifically with fonts appearing larger than you expect.

And if you got it sorted out, what did you do to get it back to normal?

XFree 4 is here! | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)