Andover.net seeks injunction against Advogato

By raph in News
Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 08:00:01 PM EST
Tags: Freedom (all tags)
Freedom

Kuro5hin readers will probably be interested to hear the latest news in the longstanding legal battle between Andover.net and Advogato. Andover just filed and injunction against the site, as reported in this PR Newswire story. It sucks, but I guess if you run a high-flying site, you have to be ready for setbacks too. [editor's note, by rusty] Ok, I wasn't sure whether I could talk or not, but I guess the cat's out of the bag now. Andover has made similar filings against my site, I presume as a sort of "blanketing" move against their competition in general. See the full story over on Advogato.

o Kuro5hin
o PR Newswire story
o the full story
o Advogato
o Also by raph

Andover.net seeks injunction against Advogato | 16 comments (16 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I frickin' hate advogato. And Ando... (1.00 / 1) (#5)
by evro on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 01:39:58 AM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

I frickin' hate advogato. And Andover. I also Hate Microsoft, Bill Gates, and Conan O'Brien. And most of all, I hate the dragon beneath my home. "LET THEM ALL SUE THEMSELVES INTO OBLIVION, I SAY!"

hafd!
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

And the plot thickens. Well now I g... (3.00 / 2) (#1)
by rusty on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 01:58:47 AM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

And the plot thickens. Well now I guess we know what the priorities of those corporate vultures at Bend^H^H^H^HAndoverVaOLTimeLinuxWarner-Cola Co. really are.

By the way, I will not comment at this time on similar rumors about any potential or actual legal action against kuro5hin.org itself, for our blatant ripo-- err, "similar look and feel."

____
Not the real rusty

Oh my GOD. A look-and-feel suit fo... (none / 0) (#6)
by fluffy grue on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 02:04:35 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Oh my GOD. A look-and-feel suit for a website?! It's not like Slashdot even invented that damned look, and Advogato looks NOTHING like Slashdot anyway. PLEASE tell me this is another april fool's joke. Ugh.

Oh, wait, after reading on, it became apparent that even PR NewsWire has a sense of humor. Hehe. :) Okay, this one got me. (Oh, and the "related news" blurbs at the bottom are priceless.)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

raph never lies... (none / 0) (#8)
by vipw on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 02:09:28 AM EST

vipw voted 1 on this story.

raph never lies

Hahaha. I love it!... (none / 0) (#10)
by dieman on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 03:01:51 AM EST

dieman voted 1 on this story.

Hahaha. I love it!
blah

get some discussion going about thi... (none / 0) (#2)
by ramses0 on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 04:47:48 AM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

get some discussion going about this, but maybe it -is- an april fools joke
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Sigh. Frankly, I'm a little disapp... (none / 0) (#7)
by eann on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 08:40:16 AM EST

eann voted 1 on this story.

Sigh. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed. Y'all could've at least gotten Rob to corroborate on /. Instead, all he's got it pig latin and enchefferization.

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Re: Sigh. Frankly, I'm a little disapp... (none / 0) (#12)
by rusty on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 08:13:55 PM EST

We have zero contact with Malda or anyone over there. What would have been fantastic is if they had taken the cue and posted a "defense" of their company's behavior, or, even better, taken a stand against Andover's legal actions. That would have kicked ass. But instead we get emmet's little "Ok, fellas, we're done with our zany prank for the day, and oh yeah, here's a joke that's actually funny over at a different site." Blah.

What I want to know is, what was up with those translated stories? Who decided that would be humorous, in any way? It looks like what happens when a corporate committee gets together and plans out some "fun" for the drones. I was seriously weirded out by the whole lack of humor, from the site that has in the past really been a giant in the field of AFD pranks. They got badly outdone today, I must say.

And all of the credit for this "Lawsuit" prank goes to raph. I was just following his lead, after I saw this submission last night.

____
Not the real rusty

Unfunny (none / 0) (#16)
by evro on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 02:24:22 PM EST

I agree about Slashdot's complete lack of humor. On top of the horribly stupid "translations" (posting in Portugese? Brilliant! I laughed till I cried. And did anybody catcht he first stupid translation done by Hemos into "um... uh... er..."-speak? That was truly a magnum opus.) was the fact that they felt the need to basically say "here is an April Fool's Joke for ya" with every story. Like the story I submitted, which, like any good April Fool's Joke, I tried to do in a serious tone, but which Emmett not only transformed into l33t-speak, but added the line at the bottom, "j00 w0u1d b3 4m4z3d h0w m4ny p30pl3 subm1tt3d th1s 4s 4 tru3 st0ry." This not only ruined it as an AFJ, but shows how stupid, or maybe just nave, he truly is: of course people submitted it as a true story, if you say "here is a funny AFJ," you instantly ruin all the humor.

But then (and I know this is not the bash-slashdot site, but...), I don't think I have liked any stories emmett has ever posted, nor any from timothy (whose biggest claim to fame seems to be having attended CTY, which I hated with a passion). Roblimo was a good addition to Slashdot, but since Andover took over, honestly, I think they have gone downhill. Plus their unrelenting willingness to post anything StarWars, despite the crappiness of Phantom Menace and the no-DVD ordeal, angers me to no end.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

It's a good April Phules Joke.... (none / 0) (#11)
by cetan on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 09:21:40 AM EST

cetan voted 1 on this story.

It's a good April Phules Joke.
===== cetan www.cetan.com =====

April fools is over!... (none / 0) (#4)
by Strange Charmed One on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 02:33:04 PM EST

Strange Charmed One voted -1 on this story.

April fools is over!
Feel the urge to put excessively cute little quotes into your .sig?

JUST SAY NO!

If you or one of your friends is frequently plagued by this tendency, Help IS available- Ask me how.

Re: April fools is over!... (none / 0) (#13)
by fluffy grue on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 08:51:51 PM EST

April fools is over!... (none) (#4)
by Strange Charmed One (a.n.other@hushmail.com) on Sat Apr 1st, 2000 at 02:33:04 PM

Don't know about where you are, but here it's still April 1.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: April fools is over!... (none / 0) (#14)
by techt on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 07:44:26 AM EST

Traditionally (or where I am at least) the pranks on April 1st are done only until noon. However, the application of such rules are impractical to enforce on a world-readable site.
I must say I did enjoy this prank. It had me fooled for a few minutes -- long enough to cross post it into the Hackers On Planet Earth 2000 mailing list this morning. Then I realized what day it was. Ouch. :)
Proud member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation!
Are You? http://www.eff.org/support/joineff.html
Re: April fools is over!... (none / 0) (#15)
by kraant on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 08:22:51 AM EST

Yeah and guess what... I didn't even get to check kuro5hin until today (the second) the previous time was on the 31st.... shouldha seen me.... I mustha looked stricken *g*
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...
CmdrTaco's reputation precedes him.... (none / 0) (#3)
by bmetzler on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 02:49:47 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

CmdrTaco's reputation precedes him. This would be just the response you'd imagine from him: "Every time you ask if we're suing you, I'm asking for $24 million more in damages."
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

Got me Rusty. =)... (none / 0) (#9)
by nascent on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 08:00:00 PM EST

nascent voted 1 on this story.

Got me Rusty. =)
nascent

Andover.net seeks injunction against Advogato | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)