Patent office gets tough

By krogoth in News
Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 11:34:38 AM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

I saw this on ZDNet: 'Suffering a rash of recent criticism, the patent office is overhauling the way it awards patents for many online practices.'

'Broad, general patents such as Amazon.com's "one-click" order and Priceline.com's "reverse" auction patents, threaten to stifle innovation on the Internet. The patent process will now include an additional layer of review by a senior examiner and an online database search to make sure an idea is truly innovative.' But it doesn't sound like they can change existing patents.

o ZDNet
o ZDNet [2]
o Also by krogoth

Patent office gets tough | 9 comments (9 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
This was posted on Slashdot several... (none / 0) (#4)
by raph on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 06:10:40 PM EST

raph voted 0 on this story.

This was posted on Slashdot several days ago. My take is that it's primarily a PR move - I'm willing to bet serious money that bad patents will continue sailing through the USPTO at nearly the same rate as before.

Damn, I hope this isn't an april fo... (none / 0) (#5)
by fluffy grue on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 06:20:36 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Damn, I hope this isn't an april fool's joke. The USPTO's been needing this for ages.

Oh, phew, it was posted to ZDNet March 29. It's safe.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Har har, could've fooled me... (none / 0) (#8)
by Pike on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 07:00:20 PM EST

Pike voted 1 on this story.

Har har, could've fooled me

This is silly (the PO, not the stor... (none / 0) (#6)
by nascent on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 07:29:37 PM EST

nascent voted 1 on this story.

This is silly (the PO, not the story itself). The place needs less beauocracy (sp?), not more. If it comes to pass that they simply cannot filter out the reduntant or nonsensical, perhaps they should stop issuing them entirely or at least wait until there exists an AI that can handle it.

Sorry, I just chafe at the idea of knowledge being "owned" for any strech of time.
nascent

This is almost a week old.... (none / 0) (#3)
by evro on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 09:20:51 PM EST

evro voted -1 on this story.

This is almost a week old.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Do I smell FEAR?... (none / 0) (#2)
by Skippy on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 11:00:44 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

Do I smell FEAR?

old news.... (none / 0) (#7)
by dieman on Sat Apr 01, 2000 at 11:55:38 PM EST

dieman voted -1 on this story.

old news.
blah

yeah, but i'll believe when somethi... (none / 0) (#1)
by del on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 01:09:26 AM EST

del voted 1 on this story.

yeah, but i'll believe when something actually comes of it..
how perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure

Re: Patent office gets tough (none / 0) (#9)
by krogoth on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 07:42:27 PM EST

Sorry this is old. I heard on the 30th, then posted to slashdot, and wondered why it didn't go through. On the 1st, sick of Slashdot, i followed a link to kuro5in, created an account, and posted the story.
"If you've never removed your pants and climbed into a tree to swear drunkenly at stuck-up rich kids, I highly recommend it."
:wq
Patent office gets tough | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)