DVDCCA are at it again...

By fvw in News
Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 01:18:03 PM EST
Tags: Freedom (all tags)
Freedom

I got an email from my isp today saying they had been contacted by the DVDCCA, asking me to remove decss from my homepage. I didn't know the DVDCCA where still trying to remove decss from the net. I know everybody has already mirrored, but how about everybody mirror again? Never hurts... My isp gave me 3 days to remove the software from my site, I think I'll comply and find a homepage somewhere else, but while it's still there: Go get it!.

o Go get it!
o Also by fvw

DVDCCA are at it again... | 13 comments (13 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
that's ok.... (2.33 / 3) (#5)
by Anonymous Coward on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 10:35:55 AM EST

Anonymous Coward voted -1 on this story.

that's ok.

Although this issue has been beaten... (none / 0) (#1)
by Inoshiro on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 10:42:47 AM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

Although this issue has been beaten to death, I think it's important to make sure this software, which does enable fair use under Linux, be circulated. If they really didn't want DVDs to be readable by anyone, they should have used an encryption algorithm like 3DES or Blowfish.

We shall use all peaceful means to overcome tyranny :-)

[ イノシロ ]
mirrors! we need mirrors!... (none / 0) (#7)
by dlc on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 11:09:02 AM EST

dlc voted 1 on this story.

mirrors! we need mirrors!

(darren)

Welcome to the club. I also was for... (none / 0) (#6)
by pulsar on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 12:06:11 PM EST

pulsar voted 1 on this story.

Welcome to the club. I also was forced to remove DeCSS from my site. I would have ignored the lawsuit B.S., but the system admins said otherwise...

There wasn't a link in the article,... (none / 0) (#2)
by tnt on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 12:58:34 PM EST

tnt voted 1 on this story.

There wasn't a link in the article, so... I went found the link DVDCCA.

Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.
__________________________________________________
  Kuro5hin user #279

You should consider putting up the ... (4.00 / 1) (#3)
by evro on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 01:03:14 PM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

You should consider putting up the "other" DeCSS -- http://pigdog.org/decss/. This at least confuses them a bit. "Take down that illegal DeCSS program!" "Which one!" "DeCSS!" "It's perfectly Legal!"
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

'The legal one'? (none / 0) (#13)
by fvw on Sat Nov 18, 2000 at 08:04:42 PM EST

Both are perfectly legal, it's just that the people adminning the server my site is hosted on don't realise it yet...

Wow, you should try posting somethi... (3.00 / 1) (#4)
by fluffy grue on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 01:18:03 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Wow, you should try posting something which isn't the DeCSS source instead. (Oh, and one of these days I'll get around to redoing that image with the bugfixed enstegger, honest.)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: DVDCCA are at it again... (none / 0) (#8)
by eann on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 01:34:07 PM EST

eann would have voted 0 on this story, but it was posted while he was composing his comments. Rusty, if you're reading this, it should've gotten carried through as a comment anyway.

I would think that most people who want this code already have it. I don't particularly care, since I don't really want to watch DVDs on a computer at all (regardless of OS), but I agree that the MPAA et al. haven't taken the best possible course of action.

They didn't protect their asse(t)s well enough to keep them from shoving their own heads in.

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Re: DVDCCA are at it again... (none / 0) (#12)
by mcrandello on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 09:57:20 PM EST

"I would think that most people who want this code already have it."

This may be true...however the real point of hosting the DeCSS Source code, as
well as the css stripping program by the same name, is to make sure that the
DVDCCA is keeping their lawyers employed. By that I mean actively paying people
to sit in chairs and look for it. When they say take it down, that's fine. Take
it down from one site and put it up on three more. Put it everywhere you can,
even the geocities and	xoom accounts. I also saw several copies of it on
Gnutella.

Perhaps you don't care to watch your DVD's on a computer but let's not forget
what else they are doing. When you buy a DVD mail-order, how can you be certain
your player will even let you view it? The MPAA/DVDCA wants to make sure you're
not paying too little for those DVD's by buying from a cheaper area, and they
also don't want you to see them before they are officially available in your
area. Maybe one day they'll realize that while politicians will help them take
away such oft-taken-for-granted rights as 'fair use' and establish price fixing
by region, the *people* will have none of that. I personally like the quote at
the end of the 2600 flyer that said "We're not their enemies, we're their
customers."

Re: DVDCCA are at it again... (3.00 / 1) (#9)
by techt on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 02:03:36 PM EST

Yes, as the president of the MPAA, Jack Valenti, said "if we have to file a thousand lawsuits a day, we'll do it."

There are other ways one can support the good guys besides mirroring the code. One can make a donation to the Electronic Frontier Foundation. The EFF is supporting all of us with the legal defense for 2600 magazine and this can be extremely expensive. Speaking of 2600, they (as many of you know) have very generously put themselves at the front of the legal fight and will not stop until this has gone to the highest courts if need be. You can help them by purchasing their way cool anti-MPAA t-shirt or bumperstickers. Two other cool shirts are the Copyleft's "Got DeCSS?" and "OpenDVD" t-shirts. Copyleft will donate $4 per shirt to the EFF defense fund.
Proud member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation!
Are You? http://www.eff.org/support/joineff.html
Re: DVDCCA are at it again... (none / 0) (#11)
by Nyarlathotep on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 05:16:10 PM EST

We should get more non-US mirrors to be high profile. It will cost the MPAA more money and bad press to harass people in other countries then US citizens. Remember, these countries have their own film industries which are probable getting dicked over by the MPAA.. and their citizens are getting dicked overt with region codes.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!
Re: DVDCCA are at it again... (none / 0) (#10)
by SPLurge on Tue Apr 11, 2000 at 03:57:23 PM EST

mirrors eh? you want mirrors?
The Reactor Core Project
Also check my site later. I should be adding the DeCSS source in a few mins.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that" George Carlin
DVDCCA are at it again... | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)