Fun with Springs

By Notromda in News
Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 03:38:03 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

I'm not sure if this is well known to others, but I found this site, www.sodaplay.com to be very entertaining. If only there was a way to save your work... I spent an entire evening playing with the springs. I'm curious if anyone else has seen anything like this - an Open Source version could probably lend some improvements. [editor's note, by rusty] From the site: "sodaconstructor animates and edits two dimensional models made out of masses and springs..." Basically, it's a java toy that builds little thingys, then animates them. But it's cooler than that sounds, really!

o www.sodapl ay.com
o Also by Notromda

Fun with Springs | 24 comments (24 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
... (none / 0) (#5)
by stimuli on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 10:36:54 AM EST

stimuli voted 1 on this story.

Yeah, I love that site. And my boss hates it, considering how many otherwise productive hours at work I while away there.

I think an open source version would be easy and fun. I wonder if they've pattened "A program to simulate masses and springs in a world with adjustible gravity".

-- Jeffrey Straszheim

Interesting. Innovative.... (none / 0) (#15)
by homer on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:06:44 AM EST

homer voted 1 on this story.

Interesting. Innovative.
-----------
doh!

I'm proxy voting on behalf of my ca... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:11:36 AM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

I'm proxy voting on behalf of my cat (who doesn't have a user account). I was lukewarm on this, but he *loved* it, so his vote counts.

____
Not the real rusty

Well, there goes my afternoon!... (none / 0) (#6)
by eann on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:25:33 AM EST

eann voted 1 on this story.

Well, there goes my afternoon!

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Finally, something new to keep me a... (none / 0) (#12)
by smiley on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:34:53 AM EST

smiley voted 1 on this story.

Finally, something new to keep me away from that pesky annual report. :-)

There isn't enough mindless joy her... (none / 0) (#7)
by error 404 on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:35:00 AM EST

error 404 voted 1 on this story.

There isn't enough mindless joy here in the trenches, so I'm voting +1. But I bet everyone has seen this link by now.
..................................
Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase
- Donovan

Funny you should mention an open so... (none / 0) (#4)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:38:47 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Funny you should mention an open source version. :) The inverse kinematics engine in Solace (my current primary research project) uses masses and springs in order to do constraint geometry and avoid having to tediously (and artistically) animate characters and the like. I don't have anything really reasonable to show yet, but the constraint solver (which I wrote during a boring LAN party), which is based on spring equations, is in a sort of usable state, though I was going to rewrite it anyway. If anyone wants the source, just let me know. Right now you can only have a single hard-coded constraint system, and again, it's just the constraint solver (no physics model), but it shouldn't be too hard to add on a real interface, among other things.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Funny you should mention an open so... (none / 0) (#20)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:06:28 PM EST

Oh, and to fill in the unobvious which I left out when doing this early-morning writeup: Solace will eventually be open-source, hence the open source thing.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I've seen this before but it's one ... (none / 0) (#16)
by charsplat on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:53:47 AM EST

charsplat voted 1 on this story.

I've seen this before but it's one of the greatest toys out there. It gets my vote!

Doesn't really matter what I vote.... (3.00 / 2) (#9)
by Anonymous Coward on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:55:27 AM EST

Anonymous Coward voted 0 on this story.

Doesn't really matter what I vote.

Seen it. It's cute, but not earths... (none / 0) (#10)
by marlowe on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 12:13:19 PM EST

marlowe voted 0 on this story.

Seen it. It's cute, but not earthshattering.

I was playing with this yesterday. ... (none / 0) (#3)
by Skippy on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 12:14:04 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

I was playing with this yesterday. It's pretty neat, but I'm just not smart enough to build my own little creatures :-(

seems interesting, but the site is ... (none / 0) (#8)
by levl289 on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 12:31:05 PM EST

levl289 voted -1 on this story.

seems interesting, but the site is ultra slow, and crashes linux netscape...imagine what it'd be like if it were posted...
"What sadness lengthens Romeo's hours?" "That, which having, makes them short."

This is about the 50th time I've se... (none / 0) (#14)
by angelo on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 12:46:35 PM EST

angelo voted -1 on this story.

This is about the 50th time I've seen a weblog mention the soda toy. This was even posted on /. in quickies last week. In fact, slashdot must have posted that 4 other times as well. So much for originality...
lowmagnet.org

I am voting -1 out of sheer spite. ... (none / 0) (#11)
by Pike on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 01:39:34 PM EST

Pike voted -1 on this story.

I am voting -1 out of sheer spite. Every time I turn on Java in Netscape Navigator/Linux I always end up cycling power, and this time is no different. This thing worked pretty well for awhile, but even my very stable Linux box was helpless against netscape 4.72's JVM; after about two minutes, everything locked up solid and it took *two* hard restarts to get my desktop back.

-JD

Re: I am voting -1 out of sheer spite. ... (none / 0) (#24)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 12:52:24 PM EST

Use the Blackdown Java Plug-In. The Netscape JVM is so old and buggy, I wouldn't use it to run Java 1.0 applets, much less stuff written since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Quickies!... (none / 0) (#2)
by Strange Charmed One on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 02:20:39 PM EST

Strange Charmed One voted 0 on this story.

Quickies!
Feel the urge to put excessively cute little quotes into your .sig?

JUST SAY NO!

If you or one of your friends is frequently plagued by this tendency, Help IS available- Ask me how.

I like it. Somebody actually sent ... (none / 0) (#13)
by greentea on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 02:25:07 PM EST

greentea voted 1 on this story.

I like it. Somebody actually sent this to me a little bit back. It's cool!
MFGT

Putting java to good use (none / 0) (#17)
by Emacs on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 04:06:43 PM EST

Finally.... a good use for java   :)

Re: Putting java to good use (none / 0) (#18)
by ramses0 on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 04:47:08 PM EST

After watching The Matrix again last night, I can't help but think what would happen if you hooked these things up to some sort of genetic algorithm, and gave them the condition "keep as many dots as possible off the ground, but the more dots you have, the better an organism you are"

The way some of those things move ~look~ an awful lot like those harvester-bots in Matrix.

I'm not gonna do it, but it'd be cool to see if somebody else did :^)=

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: Putting java to good use (none / 0) (#19)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:05:19 PM EST

That's similar to some of the A-life research which has been done in the past. I saw a show on TLC a few years ago which showed such an evolving system, though it was "given that you're in water, move as fast as you can with the fewest possible links" and then "given that you're on land, move as fast as you can with the fewest possible links" and so forth. Unfortunately, I can't remember which research institution this was at. But it was very cool stuff.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Fun with Springs (none / 0) (#21)
by Inferno on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 09:09:52 PM EST

This could be modified to make a really cool evolution simulator.  I've been
thinking about this kind of thing for a while: having computers simulate
evolution.  Not only is it a great test of the theory, but it can offer a lot
of insights on where we came from, where we might be going, and what designs we
can apply to present designs to make them move more efficiently.  Space
exploration robots based on such experiments could potentially be very useful.

Re: Fun with Springs (none / 0) (#23)
by End on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 10:07:12 AM EST

No computer test could be a good test of the theory of evolution, because any human-designed test would have to make too many assumptions to be scientific.

-JD

-JD

Re: Fun with Springs (none / 0) (#22)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 02:30:07 AM EST

The is an old X program called xspringies that does similar things. The interface isn't too hot, though. I think it uses either the Athena widgets or it is right on top of Xlib. Of course, I haven't ever used sodaconstructor so it might not even be the same kind of application.

Fun with Springs | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)