Personality Types

By psicE in News
Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:32:50 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

Personality types were created by Carl Jung, a contemporary psychologist of Freud. The basis of them is that every person has a different basic personality. He identified personalities by primary functions, introspecting, observing, thinking, and feeling, and each one could be introverted or extroverted. That makes for eight different types. Introspecting and observing were considered related, as were thinking or feeling. He also said that every person had a second function. This would appear to make for many more possibilities, but the second function had to be opposite to the first's' introversion/extroversion preference and in the opposite function class (i.e. if someone was introspecting, they couldnt be observing, but they could be either thinking or feeling).

These 16 basic types were later expanded on by Isabel Briggs-Meyers. She wanted to make each personality a four-letter acronym, making an introverted introspector who's minor function is extroverted feeling (Fe, normally Jungian types are referred to by the function in uppercase, extra/intro in lowercase) an INF. But this wouldn't tell whether the person's main function was Ni or Fi, so she added a fourth attribute, judging/perceiving. This served to allow correspondence of these types (known as MBTI types) with Jungian types.

It's second purpose came in later, with work done by Kiersey. He wanted to combine the benefits of Jungian and MBTI research with larger type groupings to make psychological interpretations of results easier and more reliable. He created what are known as temperaments, or the four basic types. The four temperaments are:

Idealist - xNFx

Rational - xNTx

Artisan - xSxP

Guardian - xSxJ

If you notice, they all define the second letter in, but two define the third in, two define the fourth in. Also, temperament theory is not completely accepted in this field :)

If you don't understand this, don't worry. My personality type (INFJ) makes me really cryptic at stuff like this. I would recommend everyone go to http://www.keirsey.com and take the Character Sorter. If you do, PLEASE post your personality type here, preferrably the four-letter combination, but the word is fine too. I think you'll be an INTJ.

o http://www .keirsey.com
o Also by psicE

Personality Types | 64 comments (64 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I know.... (2.50 / 6) (#9)
by Anonymous Coward on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 03:01:41 PM EST

Anonymous Coward voted -1 on this story.

I know.

This is rather offbeat, but cool, i... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 03:16:44 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

This is rather offbeat, but cool, in a Who Are You? kind of way. I dig finding out about people, and whether it's accurate or not, these tests are a good way to make you take a look at yourself.

____
Not the real rusty

INFP the same as I was about 15 yea... (1.00 / 1) (#5)
by Skippy on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 03:48:52 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

INFP the same as I was about 15 years ago when I first took it in school. Fortunately, a lot less I than I used to be :-). We took this in grade school as part of a career day sort of thing so that you could see what interested you. I looked at the job choices usually associated with INFP and FREAKED OUT! All kinds of things that I didn't want to be. So I made a concious decision to become more extroverted and today I'm (mostly) happy and a LOT more extroverted. I took the short version again and it's creepy how accurate the character description is in my case. Always thought this stuff was interesting.

i hate this dumb test. on almost e... (3.00 / 1) (#3)
by ramses0 on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 04:00:31 PM EST

ramses0 voted 0 on this story.

i hate this dumb test. on almost every single one of the questions, my answer could literally depend on the day of the week, or the environment i'm in.

So although the writeup was informative but cryptic, i'm gonna vote "don't care" because i don't think that the test is universal, no matter how many people trot it out.

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: i hate this dumb test. on almost e... (none / 0) (#22)
by FlinkDelDinky on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 10:03:11 PM EST

Maybe you're just confused? :-)

Seriously, maybe you could take the test everyday. Simply answer honestly relative to that day. If you do it for a week and six times it comes up a given type, what would you think then?

Re: i hate this dumb test. on almost e... (none / 0) (#30)
by ramses0 on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 12:51:06 AM EST

...I'd think I'd wasted too much time taking this goofy test :^)=

But seriously, I'm a much bigger fan of exploring [my|your] inner self rather than labeling it. This exploration can happen through conversation or watching a person's creative process.

Not that I think I'm more qualified than these "learned" figures who came up with the test, I just don't think that it covers the possible range of emotions or actions a person can take.

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: i hate this dumb test. on almost e... (none / 0) (#31)
by FlinkDelDinky on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 01:27:45 AM EST

Now you're making entirely to much sense. You sound like an experimentalist. A theoratician would never say such a thing. :-)

I like to spell creatively.

Re: i hate this dumb test. on almost e... (none / 0) (#23)
by Inoshiro on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 10:15:21 PM EST

If you sit down and really think it over, the answers will come to you.

I found myself saying, "damnit, 3 of those 4 are goals I strive for." However, what you strive for is not what you also actually DO. It can be hard, but that's the only way towards true self understanding. So I'm a concrete-random iNTj. Good for me :-)

[ イノシロ ]
INFJ, though I don't really get wha... (none / 0) (#7)
by evro on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 05:14:07 PM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

INFJ, though I don't really get what this article has to do with tech/culture...
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

I was going to vote 0 because the a... (none / 0) (#4)
by FlinkDelDinky on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 05:41:20 PM EST

FlinkDelDinky voted 1 on this story.

I was going to vote 0 because the article wasn't executed clearly. But I went to the sight and it's pretty intresting. I'm going to spend some time there and try and figure things out a bit more.

No I see the value of community edit.

Oh yeah, Your Temperament is Rational : NT Your variant temperament is Architect : INTP

These things are fun, although it s... (none / 0) (#10)
by Notromda on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 06:34:46 PM EST

Notromda voted 1 on this story.

These things are fun, although it seems like I usually come up in the middle. NT = 36; NF = 36; SJ = 37; SP = 51; As you can see the first three are close! :) It came up with INFJ... Now I gotta go read what that means, exactly.

Re: These things are fun, although it s... (none / 0) (#13)
by psicE on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:40:37 PM EST

Guess what? INFJ's LOVE personality tests. No kidding! http://www.infj.org ; read everything there and subscribe to the mailing list. You'll love it.

1. Yah, so? ... (1.00 / 1) (#6)
by mattdm on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 06:56:18 PM EST

mattdm voted -1 on this story.

1. Yah, so? 2. Poor grammar. 3. Poorly written, for that matter.

Re: 1. Yah, so?... (none / 0) (#14)
by psicE on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:41:27 PM EST

I was tired when I wrote it. Sorry. I'll do better next time.

Re: 1. Yah, so?... (none / 0) (#18)
by mattdm on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 08:49:50 PM EST

Sorry to sound so harsh. When Rusty gets his fancy collaborative review stuff done, it'll be easier for picky people to go over the text and actually contribute, rather than just whining.

PS (none / 0) (#19)
by mattdm on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 08:50:46 PM EST

xNxP.

According to various variants of th... (none / 0) (#8)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:08:22 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

According to various variants of the Myers-Briggs, I'm an INTP, myself, with really strong I and N, moderate P, and low T (which is understandable, given that I do often lapse into emotional criteria in making decisions).
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I don't really hold too much creeda... (3.00 / 1) (#2)
by joeyo on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:26:31 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

I don't really hold too much creedance in these theories- I think personality is probably more fluid than people think. But for what it's worth, I'm an I/ENTP. (the I/E means that I'm supposedly right in between the two categories)

Re: Personality Types (5.00 / 1) (#11)
by psicE on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:37:54 PM EST

Good, I can finally reply. First and foremost, all INFJ's should go to http://www.infj.org and INTP's to http://www.intp.org if you haven't already figured that out. Also, most of the Slashdot-crowd is INTJ; most of us are INFJ and INTP. If you think you're an NF/Idealist of any sort but the description you got doesn't sound right, you might be an INFJ. We're sort of the oddball type; we're mixed with everything else.

I'm an INTP... (5.00 / 3) (#15)
by rusty on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 08:04:21 PM EST

... and since the descriptions are so numbingly positive, here's my interpretation of the type. And yes, it's based on intimate self-knowlege. :-)

Portrait of an INTP, with apologies to "Portrait of an INTP"

INTPs exhibit the greatest precision in thought and language of all the types; they tend to see distinctions and inconsistencies in thought and language instantaneously. This makes them prissy and nitpicking, and a tremendous pain in the ass to be around, for those who don't have the patience of a saint. Your grandfather was probably an INTP. Luckily, this type is found in only 1 percent of the population and therefore you don't have to actually meet them too often. On the other hand, the knowlege of this tends to make them think they're better than everyone else (but they thought that already).

INTPs detect contradictions in statements no matter how distant in space or time the contradictory statements were produced. Don't you just hate that? "But three years ago, you maintained that Karl Marx was potentially the greatest political thinker of his time, did you not?" Makes you want to smack them.

Authority derived from office, position, or wide acceptance does not impress INTPs. Therefore many of them can be found in prison, where they spend a great deal of time insisting that external authority per se is irrelevant. The high number of INTPs found in jail is mostly to blame for the higher incidence of domestic violence among jail guards.

INTPs prize intelligence in themselves and in others, but they never seem to actually know as much as they think they know about anything. They're too busy collecting more Jeopardy trivia to actually sink to the level of "learning" anything. They can be intellectual snobs and may show impatience at times with others less endowed intellectually. Their favorite word tends to be "idiot". This quality, INTPs find, generates hostility and defensive behaviors on the part of others, who may describe an INTP as arrogant. Being described as arrogant, though, usually just makes INTPs more so, as they take it as a compliment. Silly buggers.

For INTPs, the world exists primarily to be understood. Reality is trivial, a mere arena for proving ideas. They spend a lot of time insisting this in prison too. Butch usually isn't interested.

INTPs tend not to be writers or to go into sales work. They often, however, think they are excellent teachers, particularly for advanced students, although INTPs do not always enjoy much popularity, for they can be truly rotten sons of bitches. Dickens tended to cast INTPs as his schoolmasters, if that gives you any idea. Students hate them, but the INTP obliviously believes that it's best for the student to be "challenged." With a stick, if necessary.

INTPs never get dates, because people who can stand them are ever rarer than INTPs themselves. So when they do get some, they take their mating relationship seriously and usually are faithful and devoted--albeit preoccupied at times. They are devoted largely because they are too self-obsessed and arrogant to find a mate, so once they do, they won't do anything to jeopardize that. If left to his or her own devices, the INTP mate will retreat into the world of books and emerge only when they stink like a three-week old fish and their bellies are distended from malnutrition. This, as you may imagine, contributes to the difficulty of finding a date.

INTPs deal with the environment primarily through intuition, and their strongest quality, the thinking function, remains relatively hidden except in close associations. Therefore, INTPs are often misunderstood, seen as difficult to know, and seldom perceived at their true level of competency. That is to say, they generally know how to do things right, but they just can't be bothered. "I'm above all that. Where's my peon?" is the INTPs battle cry. Because their feeling qualities may be underdeveloped, they may be insensitive to the wants and wishes of others, often quite unaware of the existence of these wants and wishes. Or, indeed, of the very existence of people who are not expressly put on this Earth to serve them.

Overall, if you are an INTP, chances are most people dislike you, and the ones that don't, hate your guts. You are annoying, and we all wish you'd just go away. Next time you take this test, you'd better have become an INFP, or you're in big trouble.

Thank you. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: I'm an INTP... (none / 0) (#36)
by eann on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 07:15:54 AM EST

Oh yeah. In some places, that fits me better than the more positive-sounding description. Just ask my wife. I wonder if anyone's done a correlation between these personality types and astrology, and what percentage of INTPs are Leos.

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Re: I'm an INTP... (5.00 / 1) (#40)
by psicE on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 08:55:05 AM EST

Actually, someone has. It appears that many INFJs are Cancers, Scorpios, or Capricorns. For INTPs, I'd recommend subscribing to your mailing list and asking. I might guess, though, that some Leos and/or Libras will be INTPs and vice versa. Don't try to figure it out with an online horoscope site, though; you'll probably be unsuccessful. Most of the sites are commercial, and thus lie to make money.

Re: I'm a [lazy] INTP... (none / 0) (#57)
by eann on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 12:43:41 PM EST

Did you notice that the INTP mailing list was running near 200 messages a day over 3 years ago (averaging more than 1 per subscriber per day)?

I don't need that kind of traffic flowing through my mailbox. Especially from a bunch of people as arrogant and opinionated as me!

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Re: I'm an INTP... (none / 0) (#46)
by rusty on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 11:03:12 AM EST

Like I said, it was based on their description, but mostly drawn from self-knowlege. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: I'm an INTP... (none / 0) (#52)
by lachoy on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 10:46:46 AM EST

Hm. So what does it mean when two INTP folks work together? :)
M-x auto-bs-mode
Ok, serious reply now. :-) (none / 0) (#16)
by rusty on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 08:06:14 PM EST

What's your angle on this, psicE? What motivated you to submit it? Your writeup doesn't really get into that, and I was curious.

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Ok, serious reply now. :-) (5.00 / 1) (#17)
by psicE on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 08:18:00 PM EST

Good point, I overlooked that. I had multiple reasons for submitting it. As follows: I have studied astrology-style personality testing for a while, and had been looking for reliable methods of testing that. I always found every astrological/numerology entry, regardless of whether it is supposed to apply to me, to be correct. I knew that you couldn't make an accurate test based on that; and when I found this recently, and realized that if more people knew about it it could have a huge potential for increasing self-respect, self-awareness, and positive relationships among people in general. Especially so, when I found that myself, being an INFJ, fit my description to the letter. I wanted to see if other people did too. Also, I was interested in the general personalities of the K5 readers. From personal experience I could guess most /. readers are INTJs, also known as geeks :). I always felt, after reading the columns, that some people were just too heartless. Finally, I wanted to see the K5 audiences' reaction to this. Again, I knew that a site like /. is sort of like a communism. They all believe the same basic ideas, as if they were forced too. And INFJs are VERY incompatible with INTJs, so it became unbearable. I belong to INFJ-L, and I'm loving it. There's the same level of conversation as on /., but no one's feelings get hurt.

And, also: For myself, I know that I get along with INFJs, ENFJs, INFPs, INTPs, ISFJs, and ISFPs best. You, on the other hand, I'm not as sure of, but I know you get along with INFJs better than with INTJs.

Finally, pardon my bad grammar and/or formatting; I'm tired right now. :)

Re: Ok, serious reply now. :-) (none / 0) (#20)
by FlinkDelDinky on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 09:31:17 PM EST

Just curious, but at the sight you directed us , it mentions that infj's have extreme intuition. Perhaps even to a psychic degree.

In a prior post on this article you mention researching astroligical personality profiling. That makes me think you have researched into psychic phenomina.

What are your psychic expierences (if any)?

Re: Ok, serious reply now. :-) (5.00 / 1) (#21)
by psicE on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 09:37:04 PM EST

Am I glad you asked. First, I think I have been able to transfer psychic energy... i.e. "energize" myself through someone else. It works. Also, I have great empathic abilities; I can sense someone's feelings, often before they've done it themselves. Finally, I can often induce actions on someone else; when a decision is taking place, and I really want someone to pick a certain way, and I think about it strongly, it turns out toward me. And sometimes I've spontaneously been able to "guess" people's thoughts at very high probabilities, though I think this is true telepathy.

And I'm getting better. This is all I can think of right now. But wait. If it matters, I have had very lucid dreams, often to the extent that I could have teleported to the place of the dream and back again. :)

If more comes up, I'll tell ya.

Re: Ok, serious reply now. :-) (5.00 / 1) (#28)
by Inoshiro on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 12:01:40 AM EST

I think this is more of a mental discipline than any real "psychic" experience. I've studied some sociology, and find that people are susceptible to subtle body language cues. I think that's how you're controlling others, as well as noticing their emotions.

As for lucid dreaming, it's similar to LSD. What will happen is what you believe will happen. I go to sleep each night knowing I will have an enjoyable, realistic (in the senses sense) dream, and each night I do have one or two. Sometimes I can't remember them right after I awake, and sometimes I remember them days later (I write them down if I can).

[ イノシロ ]
Re: Ok, serious reply now. :-) (5.00 / 1) (#37)
by Skippy on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 08:43:23 AM EST

I'd have to agree with Inoshiro. I too can be uncannily "empathic" to the point of knowing how a person feels better than they do. I used to think it was a special ability but as I examined the experience I realized I was just picking up cues from body language to minute voice intonations. Its not something I've ever been able to explain to someone else how to do, though not for lack of trying.
Re: Ok, serious reply now. :-) (5.00 / 1) (#39)
by psicE on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 08:52:06 AM EST

But have you ever known the person's feelings before they have themselves? Or been able to tell in a chat room environment where body language and/or speech tone would not be applicable?

Re: Ok, serious reply now. :-) (none / 0) (#44)
by Skippy on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 09:49:13 AM EST

Yes to the first one and a partial yes to the second. I've absolutely done the first, but I can only do the second if I know the person in question.

Perhaps I should clarify. I'm not saying that there isn't more to it than acute observation, however, I think acute observation accounts for most of it.

Re: Ok, serious reply now. :-) (none / 0) (#54)
by Inoshiro on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 11:38:31 AM EST

Yes to the first, after I've talked to the person and really observed them. Once you observe a person, and how they react, you can predict (with high degrees of accuracy) what reaction will acompany a certain action. I tend to use it to help people explore themselves. If you observe yourself in this way, you can learn even more.

As to the second, it's very dependant on some variables. If I know the person, I can infer emotions. Problems arrise when the person is not articulate enough to properly get their point across, as in the case of illiterate and semi-illiterate people (I was very shocked when a fellow in my Calculus class didn't know what the word inevitable meant -- he pointed to it on paper and said, "what's that word?"). You can often choose a semi-stereo typical mental patern to go with their words based on their spelling, punctuation (or lack thereof), and some reactions. As you get older, it becomes easier as your mind correlates more and more information from your experiences. :-)

[ イノシロ ]
Re: Ok, serious reply now. :-) (none / 0) (#32)
by FlinkDelDinky on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 02:08:43 AM EST

When I was younger, around 12 I think, I went to a place and some odd things occured.

I wouldn't neccessarily say what occured was psychic though. Spiritual may be a better word. And I just don't have a clrear memory of it.

I'm not psychic and scientest don't seem to find mutch good evidence for it. I'm curious about any ongoing real science. I had a web page but I can't seem to find it. I'll get back to it later.

Re: Personality Types (1.00 / 1) (#12)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:39:32 PM EST

Too bad children couldn't understand this. It could really help their self-esteem.

Some points. (5.00 / 1) (#24)
by Inoshiro on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 10:25:58 PM EST

First off, this is exactly the kind of culture thing we need. Thank you, psicE. To the fellow that complained about the grammar: get over it. No one likes a person who nit picks, even if they're right ;-) You have to learn to accept things like that and present positive critisism.

So what am I? Details of questionaire: I: Reserved (Introverted) = 7/10, J: Scheduling (Judgement) = 7/10 Your score of each temperament was: (lower number meaning preferred) NT = 25; NF = 44; SJ = 42; SP = 49;

Fairly even distribution, with a sharp tilt towards rationality (being a ration mastermind, iNTj).

[ イノシロ ]
Nitpicks (5.00 / 1) (#25)
by rusty on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 10:36:23 PM EST

No one likes a person who nit picks, even if they're right ;-)

You!! You!! Of all the people to--!! Of all the baldfaced--!! I'm speechless! ;-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Nitpicks (3.00 / 2) (#27)
by Inoshiro on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:54:28 PM EST

You see, I don't nitpick. I present constructive criticism! :-) (Although I can bitch and whine about things if the mood strikes me)

[ イノシロ ]
Re: Personality Types (none / 0) (#26)
by shepd on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:45:28 PM EST

Last time I took such a test (7 years ago) I was an ISTP...  Now I'm an INTP.
Not that it is a big deal, of course... :-)

Re: Personality Types (none / 0) (#29)
by henrik on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 12:07:53 AM EST

INTJ myself - just as you thought we'd be. :)

-henrik

Akademiska Intresseklubben antecknar!

Re: Personality Types (none / 0) (#33)
by techt on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 05:32:36 AM EST

Neat page. It says my variant temperament is Architect : iNTp.
Proud member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation!
Are You? http://www.eff.org/support/joineff.html
Re: Personality Types (none / 0) (#34)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 05:47:22 AM EST

INTJ hooray hooray.

p.s. any particular good traits about this character type?

Re: Personality Types (none / 0) (#35)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 06:02:20 AM EST

aw crap its changed, its now INFP. i blame my partner! he's such an idealist! not sure about the healer business.

Re: Personality Types (none / 0) (#38)
by Matthew Guenther on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 08:50:29 AM EST

INTJ as well. Go figure.

MBG

Re: Personality Types (3.00 / 2) (#41)
by Emacs on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 09:24:46 AM EST

Hey...according to this I'm a BSOD..er uh... no wait.I'm a INTP. Well, I think that's actually pretty acurate although I feel out of place being lumped in with Albert Einstein and Marie Curie... sorta makes me feel like an under-acheiver...oh wait.. I am an under-acheiver. Ack, too much instrospection too early in the morning.

Experimantal errors and inconsistency (none / 0) (#42)
by jabber on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 09:30:39 AM EST

Your Temperament is Idealist : NF Your variant temperament is Healer : INFP Interesting. I took this same test about three months ago, and came back as a Rational Architect. I guess I need a more consistent caffeine intake. :)

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Re: Experimantal errors and inconsistency (4.00 / 1) (#45)
by rusty on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 11:00:12 AM EST

I was INTP, but a very close second was INFP. Perhaps the two are often found combined...

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Experimantal errors and inconsistency (4.00 / 1) (#48)
by psicE on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 10:22:38 AM EST

NTs and NFs can sometimes get confused, especially when they are also introverted. The most common confusion, though, is INFP/INFJ. You might want to read the INFJ information to see if it describes you: http://www.infj.org . Most notably: Are you a bad speller? :)

*sigh* .. It turns out that I'm another INTJ just (none / 0) (#43)
by stimuli on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 09:48:30 AM EST

It hurts so much to be successfully predicted. I think we should find another personallity test where we can all be different.

-- Jeffrey Straszheim

Re: *sigh* .. It turns out that I'm another INTJ j (none / 0) (#49)
by psicE on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 10:23:37 AM EST

Don't worry, you're not "just another INTJ." Most of the people here are INTPs and INFJs, not INTJs. And INTJs are one of the rarest types! Don't worry, be happy. :)

Re: Personality Types (none / 0) (#53)
by Teneo on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 11:13:31 AM EST

Time for a bit of variety: I am a clear eStJ.

--Teneo

Re: Personality Types (none / 0) (#47)
by Strider on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 12:28:09 PM EST

Hmmm... That's uncanny, it described me to a tee. eNFp.
"it's like having gravity suddenly replaced by cheez-whiz" - rusty
Re: Personality Types (none / 0) (#50)
by psicE on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 10:26:04 AM EST

It tends to be able to do that for NFs/Idealists. We're also more interested in personality tests than any other temperament, so we probably look more closely anyway. :)

Re: Personality Types (none / 0) (#51)
by psicE on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 10:30:35 AM EST

Wow! (4.00 / 1) (#55)
by Dacta on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 09:28:01 PM EST

I've done one of these before and I got a ENTJ/INTJ (I scored exactly midway between the Introverted & Extroverted things)

This time I got a ISTJ - and I was very Introverted (9/10), and fairly high on the "S", as well.

It's really interesting to note that INTJ's are traditionally around about 10% of the population. I worked for a company a while ago where they did this testing, and they said that around about 70% of their workers were INTJ - I'd guess it would be even higher here.

Going by their stats, though ( http://keirsey.com/cgi-bin/keirsey/stats.cgi ) I'd say were are a pretty... unrepresentitive... bunch ;-)

Re: Personality Types (2.00 / 1) (#56)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 07:56:06 AM EST

I find most tests like this to be rather uninformative. I think it is inpossible to put everyone in neat little boxes, but on the otherhand labels sometimes can be good in the sense of interaction guidelines. I took this test a long time ago and dont quite remember what I am, but it is a mix between intro/extro and logical/feeling (or whatever it is). I hope that no one here thinks this is a definitive personality typing scheme.

Just my 2 cents.

Marduk - the storm god

Re: Personality Types (5.00 / 3) (#58)
by roffe on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 04:02:56 PM EST

as a psychologist with a specialization in personality I feel that I must comment on this.

personality typing was in fact not invented by Jung. his model is very popular, but even at Jung's time there were other models. (in fact the MBTI was created independently of Jungs typology, which was added to it later). Jung made very little out of his system, it seems he invented it to get even with Freud (the details are too complex to get into here).

in academic circles, the MBTI (and other systems) to a great extent has been eclipsed by the Big 5 personality taxonomy, which emerged in the early 1980s as a least common denominator of those of the models that were known at the time and that had shown some sort of scientific merit.

there is a (weak) link between the Big 5 and the MBTI. the Big 5 lists as the basic personality traits

1. extraversion (~ E/I)
  2. agreeableness (~ T/F)
  3. conscientiousness (~ J/P)
  4. emotional stability (NA)
  5. openness to ideas (~ S/N)

there is general agreement that the big 5 describes normal personality and that all combinations of the big 5 are valuable and useful.

more information can be found at The Personality Project. a recent book that covers the current research in detail is Hogan, Johnson & Briggs (1997) Handbook of Personality Psychology.

Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren
roffe@extern.uio.no

Re: Personality Types (2.00 / 1) (#59)
by CodeWright on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 10:25:26 PM EST

always been _very_ INTJ

$0.02

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

Re: Personality Types (3.00 / 1) (#60)
by semaj on Sat Apr 15, 2000 at 01:51:33 AM EST

This turned out to very interesting... I just had the time to take the test and I came out as a eNTj.
My results were E+6 N+2 T+13 J+0 which I think it pretty close to how I actually am. Not to sure on that FieldMarshall thing, and having Bill Gates as an example didn't do me too much good.
there are billions of people on this planet, why hang around the bad ones.
Re: Personality Types (2.00 / 1) (#61)
by zztzed on Sat Apr 15, 2000 at 09:02:04 AM EST

The character sorter says I'm ISFJ. The temperament sorter, last time I took it, said I was INFP, and this still appears to be the case. I don't think these are particularly correct, but then again I've never been a very objective judge of myself.

Yes! (3.00 / 1) (#62)
by pb on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 02:27:12 PM EST

I think Meyers-Briggs tests are really cool, and I wanted to do some research on this in High School, and try to correlate them with something else, (Zodiac signs?) but I couldn't get it approved. Ah well....

Incidentally, yes, I believe that some of this is fluid; I'm always at least xNxP, and I'm usually rational too, but E/I or T/F can depend a lot on mood as well. So usually I'm an ENTP, but if I'm depressed or pissed off, that can change somewhat.

However, judging from the descriptions, these tests definitely add value to our understanding of people and personalities; I just wish there were more categories, so we could refine things a bit. :)
-- pwhysall
Re: Personality Types (3.00 / 1) (#63)
by ocelot on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 04:07:44 PM EST

INFP. Every time I take the test, I'm convinced that this time I'm going to get something different because I feel that I'm answering stuff in more of a technical way than I used to. But I still always get INFP.

Not that I object to it. I'm happy with being an INFP :) And some descriptions I've seen of INFPs are scarily accurate (like the one here).

Meyers-Briggs (none / 0) (#64)
by muchagecko on Wed Jan 08, 2003 at 09:40:50 AM EST

is really just a tool used for evaluating workplaces. It is simple enough to group large bunches of workers and deem them unsuitable for promotion or whatever.

I hate being labeled with the various Meyers-Briggs tests because the tests vary so much that my results are always different.

Want to really know how you tick? Go see a psychologist and take the Rorschach Inkblot test. It doesn't paint a pretty picture of anyone - its really just a tool to define personality problems - but its fascinating.

Which brings me to the topic of personality testing as a whole. Do I really want someone with some agenda to define what my personality is? Yet why do I find myself constantly taking personality tests? They fascinate, yet repulse me. They probably mean as much to me as my horoscope, which has nothing to do with me or the stars. I still have hope for the tests though. Maybe someday I'll find some inner truth in one.

"Do you think Mr. Fantastic can stretch his dinky also? And do you think The Thing is hard all over? I mean really all over."

Personality Types | 64 comments (64 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)