OMU - One Man Unix

By noeld in News
Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 10:12:25 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

In the late 1970s and early 1980s (the good old days of "hobby computing") before the IBM PC and its clones took over the world Steve Hosgood built a Unix clone at home. He was used to V7 Unix on the PDP-11 at university and wasn't keen to step backwards 10 years to the technology of CP/M and BASIC programming.

He did not know that eight years later a guy called Linus Torvalds was going to think the same thoughts and do much the same things. The big difference was that he was in the right place and the right time and had internet connectivity - Steve didn't have any of these advantages!

o Unix clone
o Also by noeld

OMU - One Man Unix | 15 comments (15 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
wasn't there also a $99.00 UNIX clo... (4.00 / 1) (#1)
by caliban on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:08:11 AM EST

caliban voted 0 on this story.

wasn't there also a $99.00 UNIX clone called Coherent by Mark ?Williams? I was curious but never tried it...

Re: wasn't there also a $99.00 UNIX clo... (none / 0) (#14)
by FlinkDelDinky on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 04:33:35 PM EST

Yes, and I've still got it!. It was originally for the 80286 (which is what I've got) and they had a version for the 80386 that had X (I bought it but sent it back, by that time Linux had already infected me.

I don't remember much about the 286 version, I only had it for play. At that time I was using DOS+DV386 (pretty cool setup). If I recall, it was pretty good, never crashed (but I never pushed it either), and I don't think it had virtual memory.

Maybe something to tell us about th... (none / 0) (#6)
by CodeWright on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:16:04 AM EST

CodeWright voted 0 on this story.

Maybe something to tell us about the status of OMU today?

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

Vote NO! against link propagation.... (1.00 / 1) (#2)
by Matthew Guenther on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 07:43:05 AM EST

Matthew Guenther voted -1 on this story.

Vote NO! against link propagation.

Re: Vote NO! against link propagation.... (none / 0) (#11)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:35:03 AM EST

What, exactly, do you mean by that?
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Vote NO! against link propagation.... (none / 0) (#13)
by Matthew Guenther on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 12:07:26 PM EST

This isn't really a story for discussion, it's just tiny blurb and a link to someone else's content. I think we can and should do better than this for stories on kuro5hin. Also, reading and discussion of rootprompt stories should be done on rootprompt. Linking like this merely dilutes the discussion across two sites.

Something like this should really be a quickie.

MBG

Re: Vote NO! against link propagation.... (none / 0) (#15)
by fluffy grue on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 12:01:27 PM EST

But I don't normally read <rootprompt | slashdot | advogato | ABCnews | every damned website on the planet>. I'm not a webspider, and I don't have the time to be a webspider. I'd personally rather have the diluted discussion than not know about this stuff, and I'm sure many agree.

Okay, you can point out my recent "old news" comment, which is somewhat hypocritical. I had found that there was a lot of implied whininess, of "I wasn't at the right place at the right time, waaaah" variety. Shit happens. I'd have been a lot more generous towards the story if it didn't imply that Linux got its fame when OMU should have instead.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

... (none / 0) (#8)
by boris on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 08:19:14 AM EST

boris voted 1 on this story.

A curious story. I didn't care about the technical details so much, but the very idea made me think once again about "being in the right place at the right time". This *could* have been Linux, but there was no Internet (and how much UNIX can you cram into 64K RAM? :-) P.S. this is my first voting on kuro5hin! regards, Boris.

Now that's geeky. ... (none / 0) (#7)
by marlowe on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 09:14:32 AM EST

marlowe voted 0 on this story.

Now that's geeky.

Didn't think to much of this articl... (none / 0) (#5)
by gnuchris on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 10:05:50 AM EST

gnuchris voted 1 on this story.

Didn't think to much of this article when I read it.. but when I got to the feedback someone posted "Could this be ported to the PalmPilot?".. thought that was an intersting enough topic in itself to get posted on Kuro5hin...
"He had alot to say, He had alot of nothing to say" -TOOL-

Cool article... (none / 0) (#3)
by emjay on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 10:10:03 AM EST

emjay voted 1 on this story.

Cool article
-------------------------
We can't stop here, this is bat country!

I hate to say this, but this was on... (1.00 / 1) (#4)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 10:10:36 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 0 on this story.

I hate to say this, but this was on Slashdot already - two years ago, in fact. Last night, Oliver Sacks spoke here at NMSU, and talked about how a big part of genius and creativity was being born at the right time and doing their work under the right circumstances; Einstein 30 years earlier wouldn't have made any difference, and 30 years later his work would have been done by someone else. The right place and the right time is the way things go, sorry.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: I hate to say this, but this was on... (none / 0) (#9)
by Skippy on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:33:19 AM EST

Can we stop with the "It's been on /. already" thing? We've established in previous threads that there will be overlap occasionally. I wasn't reading /. two years ago and found this story interesting in a human interst sort of way. I didn't start reading /. till about a year and a half ago :-)

I've always been fascinated with similar scenarios. Like how different would the world be if Fidel Castro had been just a little bit better a pitcher?

Re: I hate to say this, but this was on... (none / 0) (#10)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:34:33 AM EST

Well, it's just that two years ago it seemed whiny, and it still seems whiny.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: I hate to say this, but this was on... (none / 0) (#12)
by rusty on Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 11:55:38 AM EST

Ironic how it's all about being in the right place, at *the right time* isn't it? :-)

____
Not the real rusty
OMU - One Man Unix | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)