NANDO Times Story: AOL liable for online music piracy, German court rules

By in News
Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 12:25:54 PM EST
Tags: Freedom (all tags)
Freedom

MUNICH, Germany (April 12, 2000 12:01 p.m. EDT) - In a ruling that could empower the music industry against Internet piracy, a court said Wednesday that America Online is responsible when users swap bootleg music files on its service. Full story is here.

zotz says - if this flies, it will make it mandetory for aol to watch everything you do. And this from Germany, where, if what I have read is correct, it was not possible to get an itemized phone bill for the longest time due to fears of traffic analysis as conducted in WWII.

o here.
o Also by

NANDO Times Story: AOL liable for online music piracy, German court rules | 13 comments (13 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
yro revisited... :)... (none / 0) (#5)
by inspire on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 06:54:37 AM EST

inspire voted 1 on this story.

yro revisited... :)
What is the helix?

Just as English ISPs are held in li... (1.00 / 1) (#9)
by angelo on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 07:54:52 AM EST

angelo voted 1 on this story.

Just as English ISPs are held in libel for content their users post. I'm kinda glad I live in a republic instead of a "democracy" like England or Germany
lowmagnet.org

Re: Just as English ISPs are held in li... (none / 0) (#11)
by Paul Dunne on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 12:34:48 PM EST

Ho, hum. Dumb stories attract dumb comments...
Re: Just as English ISPs are held in li... (1.00 / 1) (#12)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 09:52:08 AM EST

Yea, dumb comments like yours.

Too late. Already made it to slash... (none / 0) (#6)
by jrennie on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 07:58:56 AM EST

jrennie voted -1 on this story.

Too late. Already made it to slashdot. No sense repeating it...

This whole business of internet mus... (none / 0) (#2)
by dgl on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 08:43:16 AM EST

dgl voted 1 on this story.

This whole business of internet music is getting out of hand, basically the law needs to catch up with the medium. Even though the DMCA was supposed to that we need to remember there are other countries in the world and the whole nature of the internet is distributed.

This is too repetitive, too "discus... (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by psicE on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 09:01:52 AM EST

psicE voted -1 on this story.

This is too repetitive, too "discussion-less", too... boring. How does this contribute to anyone's knowledge of the subject? Only hurts som of our conscienses.

I'm suing God; His creation of hand... (none / 0) (#10)
by Inferno on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 09:41:24 AM EST

Inferno voted 1 on this story.

I'm suing God; His creation of hands allows me to kill and steal.

I just heard that on the radio. ... (none / 0) (#3)
by tnt on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 09:49:21 AM EST

tnt voted 1 on this story.

I just heard that on the radio.

It is a bad idea to blame them for what happens on the networks. In the same way it is a bad to blame the phone companies for what people talk about on their phones; or bad to blame you for what others do on the side walk in front of your house; or bad to blame the car manufacturing companies for all accidents that happen with the cars they make; or bad to blame store owners for all the crimes (shop lifting) happening in their stores. And I find it scary that it will make it mandetory for AOL to watch everything you do.... Would they be a little brother, or a big little brother?

Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.
__________________________________________________
  Kuro5hin user #279

This was a stupid ruling. ISPs need... (none / 0) (#1)
by hattig on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 11:12:13 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

This was a stupid ruling. ISPs need protection - they are not liable for what is carried over their systems, like Telcos are not liable for the data and conversations carried over their networks and Fred the DIY Store man is not liable for selling Joe the Chainsaw that he kills his neighbour Sam with.

This is made even worse by the fact that AOL actually removed the offending items when asked to. This will kill the Internet, or make it prohibitively expensive - imagine the people that would have to be hired to monitor every user on the system and make sure that they don't do anything illegal!

Dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Poor style, spelling and grammar. ... (1.00 / 1) (#8)
by dave0 on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 11:20:21 AM EST

dave0 voted -1 on this story.

Poor style, spelling and grammar.

I just read this on Slashdot. I get... (3.00 / 3) (#4)
by Anonymous Coward on Thu Apr 13, 2000 at 11:54:35 AM EST

Anonymous Coward voted -1 on this story.

I just read this on Slashdot. I get the feeling you did too. ;)

Re: I just read this on Slashdot. I get... (none / 0) (#13)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 08:23:10 AM EST

This is zotz here,

something is wrong with my account so I am posting as the her0.

Actually, I read the nando times sports page almost every day and take the link
to their tech page fairly often. That is where I saw it.

I tried to throw in a little bit about traffic analysis and WWII to spice up
the article a bit. IIRC, the NAZIs would do traffic analyses of call patterns
from people that they busted and use the results to further target others. As a
result of this, after WWII, the german phone system was set up in such a way
that no records were kept of where calls were placed to in order to prevent
this happening in the future. As a result of this, you could not get an
itemized phone bill.

Now the same country is in effect telling AOL that it must actively listen in
on ewverthing that happens on the network or face penalties. WOW!

I know it is old hat, but I don't see any improvement in the trend. It seems
like things are headed in the wrong direction from a legal point of view. Is
the only solution going to be a technological one? Is a technological solution
possible in the face of a legal system bent on other outcomes?

zotz forever - the raggeded ~~~

NANDO Times Story: AOL liable for online music piracy, German court rules | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)