The table has turned on Amazon.com

By cthulhu in News
Sat Apr 15, 2000 at 12:54:12 AM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

The controversy over patent infringments, what is patentable and what should be patentable has turned the table on Amazon.com with Intouch Group, Inc's suit against Amazon.com.

As the problem increases, it will be interesting to see whether the current structure of PTO reviews and approvals supplemented by legal challenges to patents will permanently change the face of the patent process.

Increasingly, the legal challeges are becoming not only the most significant portion of the process, but the only portion of the process.

Whether or not we agree with Amazon's position on their recent patents, it seems that the old saying "what goes around comes around" is ever so true.

o Amazon.com
o Intouch Group, Inc's
o suit against Amazon.com
o Also by cthulhu

The table has turned on Amazon.com | 19 comments (19 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Patents suck. Duh. Like we didn't k... (1.00 / 1) (#13)
by Field Marshall Stack on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 02:44:30 PM EST

Field Marshall Stack voted -1 on this story.

Patents suck. Duh. Like we didn't know that already....
Ben Allen, hiway@speakeasy.org
"Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor"
-Peter Tork

Intouch Group Inc. actually has a p... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by techt on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 03:22:42 PM EST

techt voted 1 on this story.

Intouch Group Inc. actually has a patent on listening to music before you buy it. I'm dumbfounded.

The patent system here in the US is so broken I'm beginning to wonder if there is any hope of fixing it.
Proud member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation!
Are You? http://www.eff.org/support/joineff.html

oooooooooold... seems I heard abou... (1.00 / 1) (#6)
by evro on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 03:23:15 PM EST

evro voted -1 on this story.

oooooooooold... seems I heard about this last week (though it was probably just two days ago)
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

... (3.50 / 2) (#8)
by stimuli on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 03:25:15 PM EST

stimuli voted 1 on this story.

What goes around may indeed come around, but its still bad in every respect. Think of it this way, one of Amazon's claims was that they were aggresively pursuing and defending patent claims as a defensive posture. That may seem like bullshit when they're suing B&N, but this just goes to show that they are somewhat justified. The moral is: if you're a company involved in the web economy, you will get dragged into the patent wars -- there is no choice in that matter -- you're choice is whether you win or lose at the patent game.

What sucks is this is just the sort of environment where those folks who are actually clever, creative, and productive get screwed, and where those who are parasites thrive.

It will be a long time, and after a big pile of victims grows, before the patent office gets a clue, if they ever do.
-- Jeffrey Straszheim

Maybe you should add to the write-u... (1.00 / 1) (#3)
by Philipp on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 03:41:39 PM EST

Philipp voted 1 on this story.

Maybe you should add to the write-up what the suit is about.

alias kn 'killall -9 netscape-communicator'

This article should have probably g... (2.50 / 2) (#5)
by tnt on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 04:08:34 PM EST

tnt voted 1 on this story.

This article should have probably given a little history of the patent issues surronding Amazon.com. (Even though I know it, it really hasn't been discussed here as far as I know.)

Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.
__________________________________________________
  Kuro5hin user #279

I don't think this nonsense will st... (3.50 / 2) (#2)
by Emacs on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 04:57:46 PM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

I don't think this nonsense will stop anytime soon. We have seen the internet being taken away from the hacker/computer hobbiest and fall into the hands of the *corporate man* Of course the corporate man only cares about $$$$ so we have to deal with this crap. Anybody care to help start a new Internet... say we call it the Undernet. All we need are some new protocols, some big Unix servers and some phone lines.

Re: I don't think this nonsense will st... (none / 0) (#18)
by zotz on Sat Apr 15, 2000 at 07:33:46 PM EST

I keep having thoughts along the same lines. I wonder if it would take a completely seperate net.

Say we come up with a client server protocol to replace http. Then we find a way to protect it in such a way that anyone can use the client side of the protocol, but that in order to use the server side, you have to agree to x,y,z where x,y,z would include not bringing lawsuits based on software patents and the like.

Write the clients and the servers in such a way that they contracted to these stipulations each time they communicated. A person would then have a decision to make: play in this new space/market and abide by this new way of doing things, or stay out and continue playing by the old rules. Let's say we call it the Vorld Vide Veb (to play with Bahamian pronunciations.) Now, if the VVV got to be popular enough, something along these lines may work?

I have never thought this through very far, so it may be hogwash. Even if it turns out to be, perhaps it will spark a better idea in someone.

zotz forever! ~~~the raggeded~~~

bslug.org

Sounds like you may be thinking about... (none / 0) (#19)
by techt on Sun Apr 16, 2000 at 08:20:44 AM EST

...Guerrilla.net: a project to build a libere amateur network using both wireless communications (mostly in line-of-sight microwave links, spread spectrum links, and also when necessary using packet radio) and VPN over the Internet for areas of the network which cannot reach others via wireless.
Proud member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation!
Are You? http://www.eff.org/support/joineff.html
stale... (1.00 / 1) (#14)
by prevostjm on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 05:01:52 PM EST

prevostjm voted -1 on this story.

stale

This took a while to find its way h... (1.00 / 1) (#10)
by eann on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 05:06:48 PM EST

eann voted 1 on this story.

This took a while to find its way here. I wondered if we'd avoid it entirely, since it's already on that other site, but I don't mind seeing more intelligent discussion of it over here too.

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Already been on Slashdot. ... (1.00 / 1) (#11)
by marlowe on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 05:52:43 PM EST

marlowe voted 0 on this story.

Already been on Slashdot.

As much as I hate Amazon, they've b... (3.50 / 2) (#7)
by fluffy grue on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 06:06:12 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

As much as I hate Amazon, they've been doing what's under dispute (having playable samples of music online) for a LONG time, long before this patent was even applied for. For once I hope they win this case (and maybe it'll finally give them some humility, especially since it's such a basic thing).
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

interesting topic, boring story... (1.00 / 1) (#9)
by alisdair on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 06:11:49 PM EST

alisdair voted 0 on this story.

interesting topic, boring story

Well, first off I found the last tw... (2.00 / 1) (#4)
by FlinkDelDinky on Fri Apr 14, 2000 at 10:07:31 PM EST

FlinkDelDinky voted 1 on this story.

Well, first off I found the last two links confusing, I thought it was just one link so wound up at a page I didn't want to see.

Before you talk about how sucky all these patent lawsuites are I wish to refresh your memories, or teach you some history, concerning prior lawsuits in the computer industry.

Do you remember Apple's look and feal lawsuites? Lotus had some too for their 123 spreadsheet. There were others but I don't recall them.

These patent lawsuites bug me though. On the onehand, patents make some kinds of products possible, on the other hand there are tons of bad patents out there.

This is a request: Will a lawyer please write an original article concerning patent law. What precisely it is, what it gives the owner, why we have them, what could possibly happen if we got rid of them, and also areas of potential reform and the obsticles that hinder reform of patents and the patent process.

I'm sick of patent stories. Why? Be... (2.00 / 1) (#12)
by Pike on Sat Apr 15, 2000 at 12:03:48 AM EST

Pike voted -1 on this story.

I'm sick of patent stories. Why? Because supply is high and demand is low.

-JD, Certified geek

I'd like to see everyone's thoughts... (1.00 / 1) (#15)
by PerlGeek on Sat Apr 15, 2000 at 12:54:12 AM EST

PerlGeek voted 1 on this story.

I'd like to see everyone's thoughts on this one...

Arrgh! (none / 0) (#16)
by fluffy grue on Sat Apr 15, 2000 at 12:32:34 PM EST

Rusty, I've said this before regarding the new layout, but I'll repeat myself anyway: on the moderation submission page, it's impossible to tell where the split between main page and detail page text is. If the split were visible, I'd have voted 'no' on this story due to its entire text being on the main page.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Arrgh! (none / 0) (#17)
by cthulhu on Sat Apr 15, 2000 at 01:19:58 PM EST

Sorry 'bout that. I'll be more careful next time.

The table has turned on Amazon.com | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)