Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies

By End in News
Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 02:57:10 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

Here's a new idea I just had, which I'm wondering if we can build up some support for: nerd-oriented cereal. The idea is that we all like to read stuff during breakfast, but the most convenient reading material, the back of the cereal box, is usually filled with stupid cartoons or marketspeak. Why not a cereal for the open source community? You can also sign a petition to add your support to this Ha-Ha-Only-Serious idea.

I know we like writeups here, but the article pretty much says it all and I don't want to duplicate too much. What do you all think? Is there as much demand for this as I contend that there is? Is it feasible? I for one, as a longtime corn flakes-chomping programmer, would buy a cart of this stuff if it came out on thinkgeek.

o nerd-orien ted cereal
o Also by End

Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies | 84 comments (84 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
be sure to ... (2.33 / 3) (#1)
by rusty on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 02:59:42 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

be sure to
#include

:-)

____
Not the real rusty

I can't remember the last time I ha... (3.00 / 2) (#46)
by bgp4 on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:01:25 PM EST

bgp4 voted 1 on this story.

I can't remember the last time I had breakfast, but it sounds like a good idea.
May all your salads be eaten out of black hats

You said... ... (3.00 / 2) (#21)
by tnt on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:13:39 PM EST

tnt voted 1 on this story.

You said...

The idea is that we all like to read stuff during breakfast, but the most convenient reading material, the back of the cereal box, is usually filled with stupid cartoons...
Hey, I like the cartoons :-)

Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.
__________________________________________________
  Kuro5hin user #279

Geek cereal? No.... (1.00 / 1) (#20)
by skim123 on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:25:10 PM EST

skim123 voted -1 on this story.

Geek cereal? No.

PT Barnum

Still waiting for them quickies! :-... (3.00 / 2) (#15)
by Skippy on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:40:22 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

Still waiting for them quickies! :-)

Meta: The cure (5.00 / 1) (#60)
by kmself on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 05:15:04 AM EST

There are a number of issues with the submission queue, clearly. Quickies would be a good option to have.

This would be another radio-button type item on submission votes -- "quickie". Might cure the problem we've had of a bunch of essentially lightweight, low-commentary, but culturally/humorously justified contributions

Tack it on the to-do list....

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Silly... (1.33 / 3) (#54)
by TREE on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:48:18 PM EST

TREE voted -1 on this story.

Silly

It would be cool to have more infor... (1.00 / 1) (#3)
by JDogg on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 04:08:33 PM EST

JDogg voted 1 on this story.

It would be cool to have more informative stuff on cereal boxes. Although usually I watch TV or read the paper with cereal.

***It's like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, he's Ben Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED-UP BAR!!!***
-- Jay from Dogma

Definitely... they need to get the ... (3.00 / 3) (#7)
by ramses0 on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 04:31:13 PM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

Definitely... they need to get the "vi command reference chart" on the back of boxes.

Actually, if there were a cereal brand/company that printed random command summaries, awk, sed, grep man pages, or programming language structure, large advances in computer science on the back of boxes containing penguin-shaped corn flakes, I think I'd buy a truckload too.

But it'd have to be random, and the cereal would have to last a fairly long time. Maybe some lucky-charms knock-off would be better since it contains sugar, and we all know that techies like sugar (well, i do anyway :^)=

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

"Open your cereal port!" -- lol.... (1.50 / 2) (#22)
by evro on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 04:34:47 PM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

"Open your cereal port!" -- lol.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Hmm. I don't know about you guys, ... (1.00 / 1) (#38)
by enthalpyX on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 04:40:54 PM EST

enthalpyX voted 0 on this story.

Hmm. I don't know about you guys, but bagels for me every morning. :)

I think nerd-oriented "chips" would... (1.00 / 1) (#12)
by xah on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 05:01:40 PM EST

xah voted -1 on this story.

I think nerd-oriented "chips" would be a better idea. ;-)

Grow up and eat a proper breakfast,... (1.00 / 1) (#2)
by Paul Dunne on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 05:45:28 PM EST

Paul Dunne voted -1 on this story.

Grow up and eat a proper breakfast, you silly boy.

sounds good to me. I can't surround... (1.00 / 1) (#40)
by dlc on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 05:47:44 PM EST

dlc voted 1 on this story.

sounds good to me. I can't surround all aspects of my day with my favorite penguins.

(darren)

Am I the only one that sits at my d... (1.00 / 1) (#17)
by spinergy on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 08:56:04 PM EST

spinergy voted 1 on this story.

Am I the only one that sits at my desk and eats breakfast. I get a good dose of e-mail, web logs, and some other random stuff. You people actually eat at the table like normal civilizied human beings? ;)
<Insert Cheesy Comment Here>

I'd be all over that during breakfa... (2.00 / 1) (#48)
by Michael_Cox on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 09:37:10 PM EST

Michael_Cox voted 1 on this story.

I'd be all over that during breakfast, better than trying to "Find Cap'n" in the morning before work, put all kinds of TLA's in it to decypher and stuff, I'd like it at least :)

This isn't news. I want news. :)... (2.60 / 5) (#28)
by Anonymous Coward on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 09:40:36 PM EST

Anonymous Coward voted -1 on this story.

This isn't news. I want news. :)

Re: This isn't news. I want news. :)... (5.00 / 1) (#61)
by 348 on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 08:18:50 AM EST

I agree, seems sort of like "forced" culture/quickies stuff. Overall the site is coming along nicely, but I would caution on falling into the same holes that /. did.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

Not interesting to a large enough g... (1.00 / 1) (#47)
by owen on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 10:56:01 PM EST

owen voted -1 on this story.

Not interesting to a large enough group of people

it's dumb, dump it... (3.00 / 3) (#43)
by tpck on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 10:57:47 PM EST

tpck voted -1 on this story.

it's dumb, dump it

Report: ... (2.00 / 1) (#14)
by caliban on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 11:13:31 PM EST

caliban voted -1 on this story.

Report: Most Terrorists Do Not Start The Day Off With A Good Breakfast (from theonion)

yawn... (1.00 / 1) (#10)
by fvw on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 11:57:02 PM EST

fvw voted -1 on this story.

yawn

Neither I, nor any of the geeks I k... (1.00 / 1) (#51)
by jetpack on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 12:05:40 AM EST

jetpack voted -1 on this story.

Neither I, nor any of the geeks I know eat breakfast. The first meal of the day is coffee when I/we get to work. In fact, I dont even eat breakfast on the weekend unless I managed to convice some chick to stay the night and feels the need for breakfast. And if that is the case, we sure as hell aint eatin' cereal.
/* The beatings will continue until morale improves */

Could you not get the same effect b... (4.00 / 3) (#42)
by SDrifter on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 01:54:15 AM EST

SDrifter voted 0 on this story.

Could you not get the same effect by stapling something to the back of your cereal box?
It burns!!!
It's loaded with wasabi!

Heh, reality hacking is Good. :) ... (1.00 / 1) (#24)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 01:54:29 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Heh, reality hacking is Good. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

cool!! I want! ;)... (1.00 / 1) (#11)
by henrik on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 02:21:13 AM EST

henrik voted 1 on this story.

cool!! I want! ;)

Akademiska Intresseklubben antecknar!

Nice idea -- although personally, I... (none / 0) (#13)
by mattm on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 05:03:21 AM EST

mattm voted 1 on this story.

Re: Nice idea -- although personally, I... (3.00 / 1) (#75)
by mattm on Sun Apr 23, 2000 at 12:42:13 AM EST

Jeezus. Amazing how long this article sat in the queue. Amazing how many immature brats voted "-1, I don't like cereal!" or "-1, I don't eat breakfast!" Amazing that there's STILL no preview option when voting and my broken parent comment sat with me unable to do anything ... gads, embarassing. :) Anyway, here goes:

Nice idea -- although personally, I'd rather just get one of the dirt-cheap plastic-bagged cereals from companies like Malt-O-Meal, not the paying-for-an-image tripe that, I suspect, any "Linux Cereal" would turn out to be. Getting better bang for your buck and sticking it to the corporate flakes (no pun intended) -- that's the (free|open source) software spirit!

Some new material just so this isn't totally a cut and paste: I also like Shredded Wheat, Grape-Nuts, Corn-Flakes, et cetera. Basic, no-frills eatins to get that first jolt of complex carbohydrates in your day. Grape-Nuts in particular -- a little bit goes a long, long, looooooong way. :)

And anyway, Linux is overrated, so nyaah.

Re: Nice idea -- although personally, I... (3.00 / 1) (#76)
by rusty on Sun Apr 23, 2000 at 01:49:25 AM EST

Shame... shame... The new filter actually catches that (lack of closing quotes in an HREF), but there still needs to be preview. I'm sorry. :-(

____
Not the real rusty

Shredded Wheat rules, although it's... (3.50 / 4) (#33)
by pwhysall on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 07:23:35 AM EST

pwhysall voted 1 on this story.

Shredded Wheat rules, although it's not very featureful as a geek breakfast.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Luser! Grape Nuts all the way: (5.00 / 1) (#73)
by kmself on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 08:18:07 PM EST

• Modular construction.
  • Great throughput.
  • Robust.
  • Feature^WFiber-rich
  • High S/N^W weight/volume ratio
  • Great for high-hops network connections
  • Spam-free

...of course, the only downside that if you leave it in milk too long it has a tendency to become micro soft granules.

Or as a roommate once said, "why don't you just cut out the middleman and pour it down the toilet?"

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Re: Luser! Grape Nuts all the way: (4.00 / 2) (#74)
by rusty on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 09:10:34 PM EST

Argh! I hate grape nuts, partly because of the taste, or lack thereof, but mostly for one simple reason-- have you ever let moist grape nuts dry out in the bowl? They become *part* of the bowl. Those things are little concrete granules just waiting for a substrate to bond to! They are impossible to clean off once dried. It scares me to think about what they might be doing inside my stomach.

And the other reason is of course, "Grape Nuts": No grape. No nuts. WTF?

____
Not the real rusty

The irony... (3.00 / 1) (#78)
by kmself on Sun Apr 23, 2000 at 04:09:39 AM EST

...of someone named "Rusty", at a site called Kuro5hin, complaining about foreign substances reacting and bonding to surfaces, is not lost on me...

I find that after a week or two of soaking in the sink, most of my dishes have enough other stuff on them that the bonded grape nuts nuggets are only a minor concern.

For serious jobs, I pull out the naval jelly.

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Why "Grape-Nuts"? (3.00 / 2) (#80)
by mattm on Sun Apr 23, 2000 at 08:02:04 PM EST

Grape-Nuts contains either maltose or dextrose depending on whom you ask, and whichever it is, apparently it was commonly known as "grape sugar" when the cereal was invented in the 1890's.

As for the "nuts" part ... well, they do have a flavor to them, so there!

Incidentally, although I've tried and enjoyed the original Grape-Nuts, I find the flakes and O's utterly bletcherous. Your mileage may vary.

Do we have a quickies system? I've ... (1.00 / 1) (#18)
by kraant on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 10:04:03 AM EST

kraant voted 0 on this story.

Do we have a quickies system? I've never quite figured that out....
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

Interesting article. I prefer grape... (1.00 / 1) (#44)
by angelo on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 10:59:00 AM EST

angelo voted 1 on this story.

Interesting article. I prefer grape nuts, or the Randall Waterhouse special, Cap'n Crunch!
lowmagnet.org

The discussion could be amusing. I... (1.00 / 1) (#45)
by YellowBook on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 12:56:17 PM EST

YellowBook voted 1 on this story.

The discussion could be amusing. I probably remember things from the back of cereal boxes better than things I actually study anyway.

My breakfast needs are already met.... (2.00 / 1) (#26)
by error 404 on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 05:39:59 PM EST

error 404 voted 0 on this story.

My breakfast needs are already met. My beer is open-source, and since I bottle it myself, I already author the labels. That makes them a little dull to read, but since I consume a significant quantity of the product in the course of bottling (have to start the siphons somehow) the literature on the label often comes as a surprise to me anyway.
..................................
Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase
- Donovan

hmm, cereal with content *not* for ... (1.00 / 1) (#49)
by tex on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 07:06:28 PM EST

tex voted 1 on this story.

hmm, cereal with content *not* for kids. I like it.

I prefer to have two croicants stuf... (1.50 / 2) (#6)
by ebunga on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 11:33:00 PM EST

ebunga voted -1 on this story.

I prefer to have two croicants stuffed with ham and swiss cheese and a pint of chocolate milk. Cereal just doesn't suit me. The story just doesn't feel important to me, either.

It would seem difficult to convince... (1.00 / 1) (#31)
by your_desired_username on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 12:02:41 AM EST

your_desired_username voted 0 on this story.

It would seem difficult to convince a ceral vendor to put excerpts from O'Reilly books on the backs of cearal boxes.

Anyway, how would this be better then simply bringing a book to your meal? Obviously, one hand is for holding the book, and the other eating. If this comment sucks, it is not my fault; there is no preview for voting.

Personally, I don't think it would ... (1.00 / 1) (#50)
by nicktamm on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 12:49:31 AM EST

nicktamm voted 1 on this story.

Personally, I don't think it would sell very well (but then again I don't eat cereal anyway), but it is a cool/funny idea, so I think that this should be posted. The question though is what could you put on the back that would keep hackers entertained until its time to purchase a new box (which amounts to around a month's time or so, I would guess)? After all, kids tend to be slightly more easily entertained, and as the page linked to in this story says, even the stuff targeted at the kids gets kind of boring once you know how to read. The other problem is that cereal boxes are required to be in the stores for an extended period of time. This however doesn't fit in with the current form of most geek media (Slashdot, Kuro5hin, etc.) are all pretty much only relevant at the moment. The only other cereal box fodder would be things like "How To Use Emacs" which would just drive off vi-using customers. All that is left is the occasional ESR essay which is only fun for most people when you can start a flame war over what he said. It would still be a cool product, and with the current fade of marketing many things at geeks (such as caffeinated mints), it might actually find a niche market, but I doubt that Kellogs could be persuaded.
Nick Tamm nick-k5@echorequest.net http://www.nicktamm.org

I'll be like marlowe. I would have ... (1.00 / 1) (#32)
by CodeWright on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 07:07:58 AM EST

CodeWright voted 1 on this story.

I'll be like marlowe. I would have voted 0.5 on this, but I couldn't, so I'll round up.

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

I like me Lucky Charms ... (1.00 / 1) (#19)
by Greener on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 11:25:50 AM EST

Greener voted 1 on this story.

I like me Lucky Charms

Plus they come with a comic on the back and an activity book inside.

Only problem is they don't make good finger food. Your hands get all sticky and it messes up your keyboard.

Uhh. Do yourself a favour and read ... (1.00 / 1) (#35)
by inspire on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 11:29:08 AM EST

inspire voted -1 on this story.

Uhh. Do yourself a favour and read a magazine or a newspaper during breakfast. It's not hard.
What is the helix?

Kelloggs Frosties ... (1.00 / 1) (#8)
by hattig on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 12:26:23 PM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Kelloggs Frosties

New! Kelloggs Geekofrosts!

Read a review of the new AMD Spitfire and Thunderbird Processors - under the Nutrition Information. Built your own IR-Tranceiver - with extra vitamins!

For some odd reason the first thoug... (1.00 / 1) (#5)
by joeyo on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 12:43:14 PM EST

joeyo voted 0 on this story.

For some odd reason the first thought in my head when I thought of a nerd seriel^H^H^H^H^H^Hcereal was the episode of Third Rock where they were eating themselves a bowl of monopoly houses and hotels....

Great idea, but there isn't anythin... (2.00 / 1) (#53)
by zoo on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 04:31:53 PM EST

zoo voted 0 on this story.

Great idea, but there isn't anything close to the required market volume. You'd be martketing to (guess) 1% of the population, then you'd have to have a cereal that they'd all want to eat on top of it all; further fractioning that 1%. I'd be slow to jump on that one if I was a major cereal manufacturer.

Sounds like fun. I've read more stu... (2.00 / 2) (#23)
by raph on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 05:04:00 PM EST

raph voted 1 on this story.

Sounds like fun. I've read more stupid stuff on the backs of cereal boxes than I'd care to admit (not as much as on /. though :).

Bad idea. >:(... (1.00 / 1) (#27)
by Velian on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 07:56:41 PM EST

Velian voted -1 on this story.

Bad idea. >:(

Opensource cereal would be cool, bu... (1.00 / 1) (#41)
by mock on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 09:19:26 PM EST

mock voted 1 on this story.

Opensource cereal would be cool, but only if there were opensource trading cards in every box. Damn that would be cool.

What we really need is some Weed-ie... (1.00 / 1) (#55)
by SPUI on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 10:42:53 PM EST

SPUI voted 1 on this story.

What we really need is some Weed-ies :P

Breakfast? What's that? ;)oops!... (1.00 / 1) (#39)
by Notromda on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 11:44:22 PM EST

Notromda voted 0 on this story.

Breakfast? What's that? ;)

oops!

Very funny, but I think the target ... (1.00 / 1) (#4)
by lachoy on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 11:52:45 PM EST

lachoy voted 1 on this story.

Very funny, but I think the target audience is not only miniscule, but frequently skips breakfast since they wake up noonish....
M-x auto-bs-mode

Re: Very funny, but I think the target ... (2.00 / 1) (#72)
by Inoshiro on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 04:00:52 PM EST

No.. That just means breakfast happens around 13:00.. Lunch is around 17:30, and supper is at midnight :-)

[ イノシロ ]
Try a book, the paper, or even a la... (1.00 / 1) (#30)
by Ozymandias on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 01:25:16 AM EST

Ozymandias voted -1 on this story.

Try a book, the paper, or even a laptop. Think of all the submissions you could vote on over your Cheerios...
- Ozymandias

At first I thought this was one of ... (2.00 / 1) (#36)
by Field Marshall Stack on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 02:38:31 AM EST

Field Marshall Stack voted -1 on this story.

At first I thought this was one of those "oh, what the hell...it's silly, but maybe it might start a decent discussion" stories, but...nah. It's one of those ideas that's best mentioned and then promptly dropped.
Ben Allen, hiway@speakeasy.org
"Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor"
-Peter Tork

Eh.. why not ? We already have Dilb... (1.00 / 1) (#57)
by Camelot on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 05:04:45 AM EST

Camelot voted 1 on this story.

Eh.. why not ? We already have Dilbertos :)

Sorry if this touches a raw nerve! ... (4.33 / 3) (#25)
by hoss10 on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 06:14:19 AM EST

hoss10 voted -1 on this story.

Sorry if this touches a raw nerve!

I'm a geek. I like it because I write code, it's a challenge, I get a nice feeling if others use it (I contributed a wee patch to aumix. wahey ;) etc.

I see absolutely no point in geek food, geek t-shirts, geek anything-not-to-do-with-technology.

People who like this kinda thing are just trying to hide, find other antisocial freaks like themselves. Being a geek is a hobby, a mindset or whatever, it's not a whole culture/religion/diet/dress sense/language/species

Cereal sucks...just like this idea.... (1.00 / 1) (#37)
by buzzbomb on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 06:24:32 AM EST

buzzbomb voted -1 on this story.

Cereal sucks...just like this idea. So there.

Brilliant idea! ... (1.00 / 1) (#34)
by Teneo on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 10:10:48 AM EST

Teneo voted 1 on this story.

Brilliant idea!

--Teneo

I eat oatmeal for breakfast in fron... (1.00 / 1) (#29)
by mihalis on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 11:13:11 AM EST

mihalis voted 0 on this story.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast in front of my workstation at work and browse the web and do email at the same time. The geek friendly carton would struggle to gain my attention.
-- Chris Morgan <see em at mihalis dot net>

Hmm. Suger Coated Linux-O's. Rand... (3.00 / 1) (#9)
by mr. creep on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 12:03:13 PM EST

mr. creep voted 1 on this story.

Hmm. Suger Coated Linux-O's. Random man pages on each box. LOL. God, I think I might buy that. Hahahah. But only if the money goes to like the Free Software Foundation or something like that, and not to Red Hat.
brian - geeknik.net

You know, it's amazing how much tim... (1.00 / 1) (#52)
by Paradox on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 01:42:56 PM EST

Paradox voted 0 on this story.

You know, it's amazing how much time people have on their hands. Really... amazing.
Dave "Paradox" Fayram

print print join q( ), split(q,q,,reverse qq;#qsti
qq)\;qlre;.q.pqevolqiqdog.);#1 reason to grin at Perl
print "\n";

This is almost funny...but not quit... (1.00 / 1) (#58)
by aor on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 01:45:00 PM EST

aor voted -1 on this story.

This is almost funny...but not quite.
-- Michael Bruce web@jhereg.net

Yes, I am sick of bagels. They hav... (1.00 / 1) (#59)
by Hard_Code on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 04:09:29 PM EST

Hard_Code voted 1 on this story.

Yes, I am sick of bagels. They have very little technical literature value. I would definately switch to a cereal with technical articles on it. And they might as well make milk cartons with technical articles then, too. Shampoo bottles would be good too.

Jazilla - the pure Java browser

Well, if my cereal box could teach ... (3.00 / 3) (#16)
by neonman on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 12:05:56 AM EST

neonman voted 1 on this story.

Well, if my cereal box could teach me something new each day, I wouldn't mind that. Gosh.. This story has been sitting in moderation for days. I just thought I would vote on it so we could get it out of here. I don't know if it is worth making it to the main index, though.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

I like the Idea. It could go well... (3.00 / 2) (#56)
by JumpSuit Boy on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 01:18:28 AM EST

JumpSuit Boy voted 1 on this story.

I like the Idea. It could go well with Dilberritotes (sp) for Dinner.
The Director disavows any knowledge of the preceding comment.

Re: Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies (3.83 / 6) (#62)
by Pike on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 09:58:32 AM EST

Wow. This story spent a lot of time in moderation. I was surprised how many people voted -1, citing the fact that they prefer bagels or don't eat breakfast. C'mon! That's not how you're supposed to vote; you're supposed to vote based on whether you think the story belongs on this site, not whether you prefer the product being discussed.

Also, I was surprised that many people didn't understand that the article is half-serious, half humorous. I think there's room for the occasional screwy nerd idea on k5 as well as the excellent security articles, etc.

Re: Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies (3.00 / 1) (#63)
by End on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 10:10:38 AM EST

Man, some people jut didn't get it :-D However, I think I could have done a better job of explaining myself.

You see, I and a lot of guys I know still live at home with our parents. We all eat at the table with the family, not at our desks. My mom, bless her heart, does not allow books and magazines at the table, because they cut down on the sociability-with-the family factor. However, I have seen that it's alright to read cereal boxes; perhaps she doesn't notice because cereal boxes are less absorbing than books and tend to not cut down on inter-family-member communication.

So all I have to read at the table is cereal boxes. Hence the idea.

-JD

Re: Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies (none / 0) (#64)
by mattdm on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 12:27:22 PM EST

But if the cereal boxes were actually cool -- interesting and therefore absorbing -- wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

Re: Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies (none / 0) (#69)
by End on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 02:31:23 PM EST

Well, the other thing is that even when a cereal box is interesting, they get passed around the table, etc. There's also less material on a cereal box than a magazine. I don't think they'd notice ;-)

-JD

Re: Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies (none / 0) (#70)
by rusty on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 03:02:16 PM EST

You know, it'd be cool if there was actually a magazine attached to the back of the cereal box. I always wished there was more to read on cereal boxes, too. That's why I tended to go for the Honeycombs-- they came in that huge-ass box, so there was more text. But I was a really weird kid. :-) I used to buy candy based on how many individual candy units it provided for the cost. Nerds were pretty much the champ, all those gravelly bits o joy, and for such a low, low price. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies (1.00 / 1) (#65)
by Greener on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 12:31:53 PM EST

Obfuscated C or Perl or whatever would be cool on the back of a box. Something to read and make you think.

Cereal Boxes (2.00 / 1) (#66)
by Pinball Wizard on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 12:52:57 PM EST

Seeing how cereal is one of those mass commodity products whereas reading vi commands on your cereal box might only be interesting for a relatively few people, why not just make the boxes?

I've seen preferences for several different kinds of cereal here.(mine is Life) Just doing the boxes would actually make this idea feasible. I'd take 30 seconds to pour a box of cereal into a geek-friendly box, wouldn't you?

Re: Cereal Boxes (none / 0) (#79)
by SDrifter on Sun Apr 23, 2000 at 06:38:26 PM EST

So, then, basically, you're suggesting the concept of "skins" for your cereal box? I could go for that. However, I think that it would be even easier just to make another box that's only slightly larger than the cereal box and pop the cereal box into that bad boy.

On another note, the source code for the game of life would make a great skin for Life cereal boxes.

It burns!!!
It's loaded with wasabi!
Re: Cereal Boxes (none / 0) (#81)
by CmdrPinkTaco on Mon Apr 24, 2000 at 01:57:53 AM EST

This is my first post to k5, and I nearly fell out of my seat when I read a poast to a story that contained the phrase "pour a box of" that wasn't followed by "hot grits down my pants." It is so refreshing to see people who actually post comments on topic and who actually care about how their site is presented.

I think that you guys are on to something here... slash was a good start, it is time for something better to take its place.
Guess CmdrPinkTaco's .sig and win - nothing :)
Re: Cereal Boxes (none / 0) (#82)
by rusty on Mon Apr 24, 2000 at 03:20:13 AM EST

I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw that nick. God, I hope most people don't "get it". :-) That's pretty funny though.

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Cereal Boxes (none / 0) (#83)
by eann on Mon Apr 24, 2000 at 02:43:56 PM EST

That's cruel, Rusty. I hope most people do "get" it. That's probably not the case around here, but that's not my problem.

I'm married. That's my problem. :)

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Re: Cereal Boxes (none / 0) (#84)
by rusty on Mon Apr 24, 2000 at 03:15:10 PM EST

Ha! That one took me a long time. But I finally "got it". Ok, this conversation has to end now. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies (2.50 / 2) (#67)
by Velian on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 01:54:33 PM EST

Did anyone else notice that someone went down on the first 40 posts or so and rated them all 1.00?

Should we feel special? The first, though very minor and small, abuse of the system has arrived! :P

Re: Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies (3.00 / 2) (#68)
by rusty on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 02:05:44 PM EST

Hm. That's not much of an abuse, considering most people (AFAIK) sort by "ignore ratings, newest first". :-) What amuses me is that this story got 140-something votes, and 59 comments before it finally got posted. That's definitely 2 records broken there. And hey, it finally went up on a slow-news Saturday, so everything worked out ok.

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies (1.00 / 1) (#71)
by Velian on Sat Apr 22, 2000 at 03:58:33 PM EST

I do "ignore rating, oldest first" myself.

You're right. It's not much of an abuse at all, but it still is one. :P It's not as noticeable now, but pretty quickly after it was posted, someone who has a lot of time on their hands went down and rated them all 1.00. Like you said, not very harmful. But... interesting?

Moderation (none / 0) (#77)
by kmself on Sun Apr 23, 2000 at 04:06:01 AM EST

Minor abuse, easily corrected.

What we've seen to date is a very small number of people moderating articles. I usually do, and I often rate down comments which IMO are appropriate only in the submission moderation section. I didn't, AFAIK, contribute all of the "1" votes in this forum, though I did cast a few myself. It's a tough call, but IMO submissions ought to get a straigh "yea or nay" vote, unless theres' something substantial to add, which might also be meaningful if forwarded to the discussion. Part of the issue is getting to choose whether your submission comments are posted or not.

In the case of the downward moderation -- several "honest" rankings will correct for a single attacker -- the important value is the mean, not the distribution of votes. With just a handful -- say five -- honest voters, the displayed vote for posts whose "true" values were, say, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, would be 1, 1.83, 2.67, 3.50, and 4.33. Not a huge discrepency. If moderation participation increases, the reported values will be even closer to the "true" value.

As traffic increases, filtering tools are added, and "one click moderation" (you got that patent filing ready, Rusty?) is implemented, moderation will become easier.

It's still possible that moderation may be spoofed. A cool advanced feature would be to be able to select an editor (or editors) whose own moderating preferences tend to agree with your own. This could be an overt or covert mechanism -- you might be able to select moderators by name, or you might be able to have anyone whose recent preferences were within some metric of yours act as a moderator. This essentially allows you to create your own editorial panel through the moderating process.

WRT this article -- IMO it probably should have died on the vine. It's not overwhelmingly interesting to me, though the careful reader might now know how I start my day (or afternoon, depending <g>). But I'm not going to winge about it.

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Breakfast of Champions: Cereal for Techies | 84 comments (84 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)