Guess my .sig, and win Penguin Mints

By rusty in News
Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 08:35:54 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Kuro5hin.org is running it's first-ever contest: tell rusty where his .sig comes from and win a free tin of Penguin Mints! For all the details, see the contest page. The summary version is:

• Look for posts by rusty
  • Read the .sig
  • Email me at rusty@kuro5hin.org if you know where it comes from
  • Win a tin of Penguin Mints!
This contest is supported by the folks at ifive Brands, makers of Penguin mints, so if you buy anything, tell them kuro5hin sent you. :-) Now get guessing!

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o Kuro5hin
o Penguin Mints
o contest page
o rusty
o rusty@kuro 5hin.org
o ifive Brands
o Also by rusty

Guess my .sig, and win Penguin Mints | 31 comments (31 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
yeah I like contests!... (none / 0) (#1)
by JDogg on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:10:45 PM EST

JDogg voted 1 on this story.

yeah I like contests!

***It's like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, he's Ben Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED-UP BAR!!!***
-- Jay from Dogma

not very interesting,, not that ner... (none / 0) (#3)
by fox on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:16:58 PM EST

fox voted -1 on this story.

not very interesting,, not that nerdy cool.

I love these things...The packaging... (none / 0) (#9)
by End on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:19:38 PM EST

End voted 1 on this story.

I love these things...The packaging is useful too...

-JD

-JD

contests with a point are great.. ... (none / 0) (#12)
by bgp4 on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:34:19 PM EST

bgp4 voted -1 on this story.

contests with a point are great.. this one doesn't seem to have a point (no offense intended to the moderator ;) BTW: does scoop allow a "moderator" to put something on the homepage regardless of the number of votes?
May all your salads be eaten out of black hats

Oooh, oooh! I love contests!... (none / 0) (#5)
by Skippy on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:36:56 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

Oooh, oooh! I love contests!

OK, I've sent in (emailed) my answe... (none / 0) (#6)
by tnt on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 03:48:42 PM EST

tnt voted 1 on this story.

OK, I've sent in (emailed) my answer to the question. Tell me when I get my prize   :-)

Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.
__________________________________________________
  Kuro5hin user #279

I guess this should be posted??? I ... (none / 0) (#8)
by gnuchris on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 04:15:10 PM EST

gnuchris voted 1 on this story.

I guess this should be posted??? I mean not very techie, but what kind of contest would it be if no one knows about?
"He had alot to say, He had alot of nothing to say" -TOOL-

Very neat idea, and the prize sound... (none / 0) (#13)
by Eimi on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 04:24:52 PM EST

Eimi voted 1 on this story.

Very neat idea, and the prize sounds somehow fitting.

This isn't news! what are you tryi... (none / 0) (#2)
by ramses0 on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 04:27:18 PM EST

ramses0 voted -1 on this story.

This isn't news! what are you trying to pull, rusty! ;^)=

I only voted -1 because I know it'll get posted anyway

[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]
well, I don't know where it's from,... (none / 0) (#7)
by evro on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 04:31:25 PM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

well, I don't know where it's from, but sounds like fun!
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Sorry, Rusty.... (none / 0) (#4)
by xah on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 05:00:51 PM EST

xah voted -1 on this story.

Sorry, Rusty.

why not?... (none / 0) (#14)
by Skinny Puppy on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 05:11:15 PM EST

Skinny Puppy voted 1 on this story.

why not?
Skinny Puppy

I know the answer, ha ha! :)... (none / 0) (#10)
by dlc on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 05:45:35 PM EST

dlc voted 1 on this story.

I know the answer, ha ha! :)

(darren)

Ahahaha, this is just plain cool.... (none / 0) (#11)
by tpck on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 05:49:05 PM EST

tpck voted 1 on this story.

Ahahaha, this is just plain cool.

Contests are only fun for 1 person ... (none / 0) (#15)
by Commienst on Tue Apr 18, 2000 at 08:47:06 PM EST

Contests are only fun for 1 person ... and thats the winner. With my luck I am never the winner so I hate contests.

Notes on Day One (4.00 / 1) (#16)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 12:52:49 AM EST

Ok, I gotta make these a *lot* harder. Two winners in one day, I'm gonna give away all my mints in a week at this rate! I can't email all of you who guessed, but just for the record, you were all right. Today's winners are on the contest page (mentioned above). I'll have a new .sig just as soon as I find one that won't be guessed within five minutes. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Notes on Day One (none / 0) (#17)
by henrik on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 02:15:05 AM EST

Small hint: Make sure it's not searchable on any of the big search engines. I just entered the quote in altavista and it popped up the lyrics for the song.

Google didn't find it though. :)

What good does having the sum of all human knowledge at your fingertips do if you can't hold a decent contest anymore? ;)

-henrik

Akademiska Intresseklubben antecknar!

Re: Notes on Day One (none / 0) (#20)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 03:19:05 AM EST

Dammit dammit dammit. I looked on google and it didn't even come *close*. Ok, when I find a new one, boy are you people gonna be sorry!!! :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Notes on Day One (none / 0) (#24)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 12:40:06 PM EST

My reason for not even having a chance at winning the previous two was because they were announced and over before I even knew about them. That's kind of unfair. Perhaps you should take answers for two days, then when the time's up, hold a drawing between all correct answers. That way you can also have some sort of pacing for those quotes which are completely unfindable.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Notes on Day One (none / 0) (#26)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 12:56:11 PM EST

Nah. If you didn't win one, there's always the next. This contest will be continuous for as long as everyone thinks it's fun. Anyway, half the fun is seeing who's quickest on the trigger. :-)

BTW, I notice none of you clever web-searchers are flooding me with mail about the new one. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Notes on Day One (none / 0) (#27)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 01:06:41 PM EST

Well, yeah. Whenever I need penguin mints, I just order a couple cases of 12 anyway (that tends to last me for a couple months). Still, it just seems like this is kinda rewarding "first post syndrome" or something.

And yes, none of those clever web-searchers are flooding you with mail. You probably made that quote up, or got it out of some random economics text from college. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Notes on Day One (none / 0) (#21)
by Inoshiro on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 04:41:45 AM EST

"Google didn't find it though. :)"

That's my official excuse for not winning that one ;-).. still, this is an interesting application of knowledge mining.

[ イノシロ ]
Re: Notes on Day One (none / 0) (#18)
by evro on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 03:13:28 AM EST

"4/18/2000: Joel Dueck knew that "I'm trying to find my way home... I'm sorry..." was from the song "Good Morning Captain" on their Spiderland album. Two in one day. I'm gonna have to make this a lot harder."

Whose Spiderland album?
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Re: Notes on Day One (none / 0) (#19)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 03:18:15 AM EST

Oops. Sorry, Slint is the name of the band.

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Notes on Day One (none / 0) (#28)
by bos on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 02:50:27 PM EST

You should also maybe make sure that your mail exchanger is working :-(

I tried mailing the correct answer (it's from a certain book by a certain author who was sentenced to death by a certain dead Iranian cleric) yesterday, but my mail bounced because intes.net's mailer wasn't configured to accept mail for kuro5hin.org.

Re: Notes on Day One (none / 0) (#29)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 04:18:28 PM EST

Grrr. Yeah, they picked yesterday of all days to shuffle our mailservers all around, and everything was screwed up. I *really* wish there was some warning first. I'm really sorry about that.

____
Not the real rusty
Penguin Mints (none / 0) (#22)
by angelo on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 10:59:09 AM EST

Does anybody get severe headaches after eating these mints? The have both Aspartame AND Caffiene, and that's a helluva comedown. The big part is the Aspartame. I once had some Lactaid chewables and they had the serious side-effect of severe headaches. I think I'm somewhat sensitive to Phenalyene.

lowmagnet.org
Re: Penguin Mints (none / 0) (#23)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 12:36:29 PM EST

Many people are. If you're so sensitive to phenylalanine, maybe you shouldn't eat things with it. :)

Lately I've been trying to slowly build up a tolerance to it, myself, since it *does* have the nice side-effect of boosting your metabolism (it's the "phen" in fen-phen, the "fen" being some sort of appetite suppressant IIRC), and I've been working on losing weight for some time now.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Penguin Mints (none / 0) (#25)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 12:50:08 PM EST

My mother is severely allergic to caffeine, and she gets really bad headaches after eating or drinking anything with caffeine in it. This could be your problem...

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Penguin Mints (none / 0) (#30)
by angelo on Mon May 01, 2000 at 08:20:29 AM EST

Naah, I drink 24 oz of caffienated beverage every morning without incident. but a few pMints, and I'm hurtin' bad.
lowmagnet.org
Re: Penguin Mints (none / 0) (#31)
by rusty on Mon May 01, 2000 at 08:41:05 AM EST

See fluffy's reply about phenelalynine then. Chances are you're allergic to that. Do you ever drink Diet Coke or anything else with aspartame as a sweetener?

____
Not the real rusty
Guess my .sig, and win Penguin Mints | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)