G is for Gorey, whose heart choked on blood

By rusty in News
Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 05:35:05 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

Edward Gorey, the writer and illustrator who delighted many of us with his gloomy and morbid children's books, died of a heart attack on Saturday in Hyannis, MA, at the age of 75. Today's Washington Post features an excellent eulogy for the man who singlehandedly saved us from the syrupy mess that children's literature had become since the days of the Brothers Grimm.

If you don't recognize the name, you'll surely recognize the style of his art. He's recently known for the titles on PBS's "Mystery" series, and loved all over for his alphabet book, The Gashleycrumb Tinies (which inspired the title for this story). My favorite Tinies are
K is for Kate, who was struck with an axe.
for the sheer amount of blood, and the total randomness of a little girl alone in the forest in her nightie, somehow getting a huge axe in the chest, and,
W is for Winnie, embedded in ice.
Because it shows just how much punch Gorey could pack into an illustration that barely even has anything in it.

He was a great and original artist, and he will be missed by many.

o heart attack
o Washington Post
o eulogy
o The Gashleycrumb Tinies
o who was struck with an axe
o embedded in ice
o Also by rusty

G is for Gorey, whose heart choked on blood | 11 comments (11 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
A guy who made children's 'horror' ... (none / 0) (#1)
by bmetzler on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 02:38:02 PM EST

bmetzler voted -1 on this story.

A guy who made children's 'horror' books? Sorry, this is even to sick for me to vote for.

Oh, and the 'w' link is wrong

www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.
Re: A guy who made children's 'horror' ... (none / 0) (#10)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 06:37:01 PM EST

Thanks for the tip about the link.

And there's a long tradition of children's horror. Have you ever read the *real* Grimm's Fairy Tales? They're just beastly, full of blood and guts and people getting chopped up. I'm sure people can provide you with 8 dozen other examples. Anyway, I think they put it best in the Post: (to paraphrase) children *like* this stuff. They don't have the blockages adults do...

____
Not the real rusty

never heard of him... (none / 0) (#6)
by gnuchris on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 02:54:23 PM EST

gnuchris voted -1 on this story.

never heard of him
"He had alot to say, He had alot of nothing to say" -TOOL-

He will be sorely missed :( ... (none / 0) (#3)
by kraant on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 03:30:47 PM EST

kraant voted 1 on this story.

He will be sorely missed :(

daniel - who sez rusty has good taste in childrens books
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

Good write-up. I disagree about ch... (none / 0) (#2)
by mattm on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 03:31:38 PM EST

mattm voted 1 on this story.

Good write-up. I disagree about children's literature being "a syrupy mess" post-Grimm, though; haven't you ever heard of Lewis Carroll?

No tech anywhere to be seen, but I'... (none / 0) (#7)
by nascent on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 04:12:23 PM EST

nascent voted 1 on this story.

No tech anywhere to be seen, but I'll wager there isn't a techie who didn't at least delight in one of his gruesome sentences. Maybe people here could take a [ahem] stab at a few of their own.

B is for Bill, squished flat by a patent.

R is for Rich (Stallman), brain popped trying to hack it.
nascent

Edward Gorey was the greatest. My ... (none / 0) (#8)
by YellowBook on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 04:51:55 PM EST

YellowBook voted 1 on this story.

Edward Gorey was the greatest. My favourite Gashleycrumb tiny is Neville (who died of ennui).

I'd like to say I care, but I just ... (none / 0) (#4)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 04:59:38 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 0 on this story.

I'd like to say I care, but I just don't.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I'm sure eulogies are all over the ... (none / 0) (#9)
by RobotSlave on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 05:10:13 PM EST

RobotSlave voted 1 on this story.

I'm sure eulogies are all over the web by now-- I first got the news from Salon, when they re-ran a profile from february along with a note about his death.

I must vote for this. ... (none / 0) (#5)
by error 404 on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 05:26:48 PM EST

error 404 voted 1 on this story.

I must vote for this. My entire ethos is based on his A Moral Alphabet.
..................................
Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase
- Donovan

Re: G is for Gorey, whose heart choked on blood (none / 0) (#11)
by Radagast on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 09:30:23 PM EST

Sad news indeed, and also an excellent opportunity for people who aren't familiar with Gorey's work to go out and experience some. There's enough on the web to prime you, at least, Yahoo has a comprehensive listing.

Also, this might be a good time to get that Gorey tattoo I designed last year, but haven't gotten around to having done yet.

As for children's horror, Gorey is one of the luminaries, but the genre also includes the brothers Grimm, and, more recently, Clive Barker, whose "The Thief of Always" is excellent for children and adults both. Actually, if you like Barker's illustration style, you're bound to like Gorey's, and the other way around too, I believe.

G is for Gorey, whose heart choked on blood | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)