Mafiaboy arrested for DDoS attack.

By skim123 in News
Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 01:19:41 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

According to ABCNews.com, 15 year old Canadian hacker Mafiaboy has been arrested and "charged with at least one of the attacks that took down leading Web sites such as Yahoo!, CNN.com, Amazon.com and E*TRADE."

They arrested Mafiaboy based on chat logs where Mafiaboy asked those what site(s) he should take down. Supposedly, shortly after being suggested CNN.com, CNN.com went down, and Mafiaboy claimed responsibility. A little shaky on the proof side, but such chat logs don't make it look too good for Mafiaboy.

o Yahoo
o According to ABCNews.com
o Also by skim123

Mafiaboy arrested for DDoS attack. | 22 comments (22 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
There's a press conference tomorrow... (none / 0) (#8)
by bgp4 on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 02:47:55 AM EST

bgp4 voted 1 on this story.

There's a press conference tomorrow in Montreal by the RCMP that should answer a lot of questions
May all your salads be eaten out of black hats

Re: There's a press conference tomorrow... (none / 0) (#13)
by Inoshiro on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 05:41:36 PM EST

"We were not aware that young boys tend to brag on IRC." among others, I hope :-)

[ イノシロ ]
Seems like people are being arreste... (none / 0) (#1)
by rongen on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 06:01:30 AM EST

rongen voted 1 on this story.

Seems like people are being arrested on pretty slim pretexts here... If I was asking "where should I command lightning to strike next?" during a thunderstorm and someone said "the big tree on the hill!" and it happened, should I be arrested for that? Hmm, maybe if we used a computer to discuss the lightning strikes?

Incidentally, I think it might be illegal to publish this fellow's name in Canada because of the Young Offenders Act but I could be low-balling the age a bit there.
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Re: Young Offenders Act (none / 0) (#10)
by Greener on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 01:49:42 PM EST

I'ts illegal to publish the name of any Canadian who committed a crime under the age of 18 or 19 i believe. Once he reaches legal age his criminal record will be wiped clean so we may never know who he was.

Young offender's act (none / 0) (#16)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 11:54:12 PM EST

Individuals are charged under the Young Offender's Act if they are between the age of 12 and 18. Their names are not published, in order to protect their identity. However, in certain circumstances, youths are moved into adult court, whereupon their names are published and the trial proceeds as usual. Offenders under the age of 12 are not chargeable with any crime in Canada. This is what I gather, my dad being a judge.

Re: Young offender's act (none / 0) (#17)
by shepd on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 12:56:39 AM EST

Yes, all very true (to the best of my knowledge).  Especially the part where
people under 12 are not chargeable with any crime.

Which explains why nutcase kids (like some local to my area) are able to hang
kids on coat racks by their shirt collar, strangling and killing them in the
process, as a joke and get away with it.  Or can pour lighter fluid on other
students and light them on fire without real repurcussions.  Of course, once
they hit 12 they learn the hard way to quit it.  Sorry, but for some crimes
(murder and torture) ANY child that can walk and talk knows they are wrong.
And if they don't, they need to learn quickly, not when they are 12.

I figure if kids like that had to talk to a judge, and were to be shown what
their life will end up as if they continue down that path (not putting them in
jail, just showing them it -- now that's pretty reasonable), they might decide
to direct their life a little differently.  Perhaps before they killed someone.

Yeah, I'm going on way too much.  Sorry, I just have strong opinions against
this part of Canadian law... :-|

Just my 2 cents.  No part of the above statement was necessarialy true, yadda
yadda.	:-)

Sad script kiddie cracker stories =... (none / 0) (#5)
by pwhysall on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 07:29:58 AM EST

pwhysall voted -1 on this story.

Sad script kiddie cracker stories == dull.

Real power crackers a la "Cuckoo's Egg" == good.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

It's a coverup! The U.S. governmen... (none / 0) (#7)
by homer on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 08:32:52 AM EST

homer voted 1 on this story.

It's a coverup! The U.S. government is responsible. Run for your life!
-----------
doh!

"Mafiaboy"?... gotta love the scri... (none / 0) (#2)
by neonman on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 09:27:34 AM EST

neonman voted 1 on this story.

"Mafiaboy"?... gotta love the script kiddies
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

Rounding up from +0.5. I'm not yet... (none / 0) (#6)
by marlowe on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 09:33:55 AM EST

marlowe voted 1 on this story.

Rounding up from +0.5. I'm not yet at overload on this topic, but I'm getting there.

Re: Rounding up from +0.5. I'm not yet... (none / 0) (#9)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 01:35:10 PM EST

You're just a generally kind of indecisive guy, aren't you? :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Rounding up from +0.5. I'm not yet... (none / 0) (#14)
by ramses0 on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 07:04:59 PM EST

Hey, he's acting like a k5 weatherman here,,, providing a valuable service to our little community.

--Robert

(ps. do we get penguin mints for guessing other people's sig's? i recognized something from "Three Kings" in the moderation queue :^)=
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: Rounding up from +0.5. I'm not yet... (none / 0) (#15)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 07:25:50 PM EST

That was JDogg (the 3 kings reference). He won the first tin of mints, so if he wants to give them to you, that'd be up to him. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
*sigh*... (none / 0) (#4)
by worth on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 09:57:09 AM EST

worth voted -1 on this story.

*sigh*

Ha ha, just goes to show that maybe... (4.00 / 1) (#3)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 01:03:38 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Ha ha, just goes to show that maybe logging all your uber1337 3xpl0t5 isn't the best thing to do if you want to get off scot-free. :) Maybe he also shouldn't have used his usual nickname or Internet account (plenty of free shells out there which give you a variety of IRC clients to use), and maybe shouldn't have been such a braggart about it.

Whether he's guilty or not, it's funny to think that an egomaniacal 15-year-old skript kiddie (wait, that's redundant) is responsible for taking down all those big sites. This just goes to show that people should stop being so nonchalant about security of other systems; what happens to other peoples' systems DOES affect you.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Ha ha, just goes to show that maybe... (none / 0) (#21)
by ZeeDraak on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 04:40:06 AM EST

testing...

Re: Mafiaboy arrested for DDoS attack. (none / 0) (#11)
by Emacs on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 02:06:58 PM EST

Without knowing a darn thing about the facts here, (I never let lack of facts stop me from commenting :) it seems that most crackers/script kiddies do themselves in by bragging about their exploits. I have to wonder if a real sharp criminal wouldn't get away without ever getting caught if he/she just kept quiet and went about a life of crime.

FREE Mafia-boy :)

Re: Mafiaboy arrested for DDoS attack. (1.00 / 1) (#19)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 01:05:40 PM EST

Yeah but... can you imagine a Beowulf Cluster of these.

Hey! (none / 0) (#12)
by Inoshiro on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 05:41:02 PM EST

"Give me some names of websites, and I'll do my best to take them down!

.. So when should I expect to be arrested for "hacking" ? :-) Maybe he should just tell the cops that he was high on cough syrup.

[ イノシロ ]
Whoa, hang on a second! (none / 0) (#18)
by TomG on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 11:07:43 AM EST

If Mafiaboy was arrested for this, then what the hell was Coolio arrested for?

And fsck, it's CRACKING, not HACKING. I don't care what ABCNews says it is.

Re: Whoa, hang on a second! (1.00 / 1) (#20)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 02:26:04 PM EST

Neither is it cracking. Cracking is implicitly intrusive, the DDOS attack used is not an intrusion, it's an exclusion. :o) Calling this cracking is like calling the WTO/IMF protests burglary.

Re: Whoa, hang on a second! (none / 0) (#22)
by TomG on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 06:00:33 AM EST

You have a point. BUT, it doesn't take much broadening of your definition of cracking to make it fit. Either way, it's breaking computer/networks so they don't work like they should.

Mafiaboy arrested for DDoS attack. | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)