Emacs Beginner's Tutorial

By noeld in News
Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 07:23:05 PM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

Jeremy D. Zawodny has written a great beginner's tutorial for emacs.
"Emacs is one of the most popular and powerful text editors used on Linux (and Unix). It is second in popularity only to vi. It is known for it huge feature set, ability to be easily customized, and lack of bugs. It's large feature set and ability to be customized actually are the result of how Emacs was designed and implemented. Without going into all the details, I'll simply point out that Emacs isn't ``just an editor''. It is an editor written mostly in the programming language Lisp. "

o beginner's tutorial for emacs
o Also by noeld

Emacs Beginner's Tutorial | 31 comments (31 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I love to love the editor that Linu... (3.00 / 1) (#15)
by pwhysall on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 07:30:44 AM EST

pwhysall voted 1 on this story.

I love to love the editor that Linus hates :)
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Re: I love to love the editor that Linu... (none / 0) (#26)
by hcchu on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 09:49:16 PM EST

Really? I had no idea :)

Just out of curiosity, what editor does Linus like???

Re: I love to love the editor that Linu... (4.50 / 2) (#27)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 11:23:58 PM EST

IIRC, he's a vi man. Or a man vi. I can never remember which.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: I love to love the editor that Linu... (3.00 / 1) (#30)
by rongen on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 11:12:53 AM EST

A friend of mine ran into him at the Linux Expo in Norfolk a couple of years ago. They had a vi/emacs paintball tournament at the Expo... My friend had been participating in it so he asked Linus what editor he liked... Linus said something like "Lucid Emacs" I think (my memory is foggy and my friend is tired of me asking---I'm an emacs freak, don't-cha-know, and he likes vi). Lucid Emacs is one of the variants... I think Lucid is now Xemacs... Again, I could be wrong... I am told Linus doesn't like being asked "partisan" questions like this... :)
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Linus uses Xemacs & rcs (none / 0) (#29)
by Paradox on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 04:31:51 AM EST

Linus Torvalds uses Xemacs, as of the last time he said so on an article that Slashdot reported several months back.

He said, "GNU Emacs is just evil." I agree. GNU Emacs makes direct calls to xlib, which is annoying and not very well behaved when you stress it. However, Xemacs uses the Xt toolkit which has NUMEROUS benefits.

Despite RMS's claims (all due respect to RMS), Xemacs is generally more stable, more usefull, and has terrific multi-lingual support.

Why he uses Rcs, I dunno.

Dave "Paradox" Fayram

print print join q( ), split(q,q,,reverse qq;#qsti
qq)\;qlre;.q.pqevolqiqdog.);#1 reason to grin at Perl
print "\n";
Nothing against promoting other sit... (2.00 / 1) (#20)
by homer on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 08:36:54 AM EST

homer voted -1 on this story.

Nothing against promoting other sites, but this RootPrompt.org stuff is getting out of hand. I dunno, maybe Rusty should join forces with them?
-----------
doh!

Metacomment: I'll probably still st... (2.00 / 1) (#12)
by eann on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 08:51:05 AM EST

eann voted 1 on this story.

Metacomment: I'll probably still stick with vi. But I won't discourage anyone learning more about the tools on their systems.

Metacomet: a mountain in northern Connecticut.

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Ok I found the article realy intere... (4.00 / 1) (#7)
by kraant on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 09:11:23 AM EST

kraant voted 0 on this story.

Ok I found the article realy interesting but I don't want to see link propagation I'd rather see original content or analysis.... If these articles keep popping up I am going to start voting -1 to them :/
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

The world needs a good emacs tutori... (1.00 / 1) (#8)
by Byzantine on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 09:17:18 AM EST

Byzantine voted 1 on this story.

The world needs a good emacs tutorial.
-=- JID: carson@theoretic.com

I already know emacs. And I'm a li... (1.00 / 1) (#17)
by marlowe on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 09:35:51 AM EST

marlowe voted 0 on this story.

I already know emacs. And I'm a little leery of starting a the emacs vs vi flamewar. On the other hand, this might be useful to some people. I'm rounding sideways from "conflicted".

I'm a big fan of emacs but I realiz... (4.00 / 1) (#4)
by Emacs on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 09:43:33 AM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

I'm a big fan of emacs but I realize that looking over the docs would make most sane people turn and run for their lives. The truth is that Emacs does *way* more than most humans would need, but you don't have to learn how to use/do everything. I started out just learning how to open files and save files. Then I learned some of the simple Control/Atl commands... C-e = go to the end of the line C-a go to the begining..etc. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that this is a nice tutorial but I think a real newbie would suffer from information overload. It might be better to have a tutorial that starts with the *real* basic commands and walks you through little functional exercises. This would help you to build confidence and actually do usefull stuff while learning. That said.. this is still al nice intro. I'm wondering if Kuro5in shouldn't just have a standard link to rootprompt.org :)

Well, since the vi tutorial got pos... (1.00 / 1) (#11)
by stimuli on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 09:56:52 AM EST

stimuli voted 1 on this story.

Well, since the vi tutorial got posted, it's only fair :)
-- Jeffrey Straszheim

Well, I'm interested in the tutoria... (1.00 / 1) (#14)
by worth on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 09:58:56 AM EST

worth voted 1 on this story.

Well, I'm interested in the tutorial so I'll give it a +1, even though it will probably not generate a big discussion.

One of my favorite quotes: "Unix is... (3.00 / 1) (#19)
by dlc on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 10:09:18 AM EST

dlc voted 1 on this story.

One of my favorite quotes: "Unix is a process that runs under Emacs"

What does emacs really stand for? "Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping"

Post it! And, while you're at it, follow it up with a huge in-depth tutorial on Lisp!

(darren)

Hmm, rootprompt is good, but I don'... (3.00 / 1) (#2)
by Paul Dunne on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 11:08:22 AM EST

Paul Dunne voted 0 on this story.

Hmm, rootprompt is good, but I don't see the point of every second article from there popping up here too.

This tutorial has been around for a... (2.00 / 1) (#22)
by bgp4 on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 11:26:05 AM EST

bgp4 voted -1 on this story.

This tutorial has been around for a while, plus it's another feeder for rootprompt. I'd vote -2 if I could.
May all your salads be eaten out of black hats

I'm voting against these until they... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 12:01:08 PM EST

rusty voted -1 on this story.

I'm voting against these until they do a little more than just copy the first paragraph from rootprompt. There's just too many... and anyway, Emacs. Blahg.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: I'm voting against these until they... (none / 0) (#28)
by skim123 on Thu Apr 20, 2000 at 01:37:07 AM EST

Yeah, pico is definately the way to go.

I get made fun of daily from my friends who use vi, but pico rocks.  :)

PT Barnum

It looks like a pretty good introdu... (4.00 / 1) (#21)
by YellowBook on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 12:49:38 PM EST

YellowBook voted 1 on this story.

It looks like a pretty good introduction, and it gets at the main reason Emacs is so cool -- the implementation language and the extension language are the same, so you can twiddle with the editor's basic functionality from the extension language.

Yes. More Emacs for more people, I... (2.00 / 1) (#10)
by fluffy grue on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 12:57:20 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Yes. More Emacs for more people, I always say. vi's great for quick editing jobs, pico's good for newbies who don't know any better, but when I want to get any real work done, I always go into Emacs. It's also nice to be able to play simple games while looking like I'm actually working on code. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Eh, a little bit of prejudice showi... (3.00 / 1) (#18)
by enthalpyX on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 01:05:01 PM EST

enthalpyX voted 0 on this story.

Eh, a little bit of prejudice showing through here, but this tutorial isn't exactly any different from what you could get from C-h t . . . Not very newsish/interesting . . .

I love Emacs.... (1.00 / 1) (#13)
by gnuchris on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 02:55:18 PM EST

gnuchris voted 1 on this story.

I love Emacs.
"He had alot to say, He had alot of nothing to say" -TOOL-

Gvim is the one true way. But I ha... (4.00 / 1) (#6)
by FlinkDelDinky on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 03:41:51 PM EST

FlinkDelDinky voted 1 on this story.

Gvim is the one true way. But I have nothing against the heathens out there so for them I put a +1. :-) Just in case you've got a gun to my head, I like emacs too.

I do have a concern with this link propogation. We need an option where we can place good links that could be useful to people.

Perhaps you can have a section on the front page called Links! (My creativity sometimes scares me). Here's how it could work, a link with a one line blurb is submitted to the que. It gets voted to the front page. On the front page is Links!, which is a fixed size, that lists all the new links. As it fills up it's allocated space it scrolls the links.

But is, of course, a link to list of all (recently, perhaps the more a link is used the more it persists, is that possible?) submitted links. I'm e-mailing Rusty with this idea.

How much discussion is this going t... (2.00 / 1) (#16)
by nascent on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 04:17:14 PM EST

nascent voted 0 on this story.

How much discussion is this going to prompt, really?
nascent

We have to.. I mean, we did post th... (3.00 / 1) (#3)
by Inoshiro on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 05:28:54 PM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

We have to.. I mean, we did post that VI tutorial :)

[ イノシロ ]

Well, I'm still pretty much a begin... (2.00 / 1) (#9)
by evro on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 05:33:13 PM EST

evro voted 0 on this story.

Well, I'm still pretty much a beginner in emacs myself, but this doesn't seem too relevant here... I think there were emacs tutorials before this one, weren't there?
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Vote -1... ... (2.00 / 1) (#5)
by Slamtilt on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 06:40:09 PM EST

Slamtilt voted 0 on this story.

Vote -1... Nah, I think we all knoq^h AH! It's gone mad! I don't need help, I just wanted to deletr^h STOP BEEPING AT ME! Maybe I'll change that vote to a 0...

Re: Vote -1...... (none / 0) (#25)
by rusty on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 07:26:44 PM EST

Ha! That's an exact transcript of every experince I've ever had with emacs. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Eh, this tutorial is just a partial... (3.00 / 2) (#23)
by RobotSlave on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 06:54:08 PM EST

RobotSlave voted -1 on this story.

Eh, this tutorial is just a partial outline of the O'Reilly book, which isn't such a great guide to emacs to begin with. The short and mean guide to using emacs: 1) Since you are interested in emacs, you must be a programmer, and you don't need to be treated like an idiot. Therefore, the emacs tutorial will probably annoy you, but you should work through it anyway, just so you know how to delete things and move around. Fire up emacs. Follow the directions to do the tutorial. Come back when you're done. 2) Ask the person in the next cube, or someone friendly online, how to build and use your TAGS file, how to turn on syntax highlighting, how to use the built-in cvs interface, and whatever else you feel you need to know before you can start doing any real work. 3) Learn elisp and start fixing all the "features" that you've run into. If you're a saint, expand the built-in tutorial while you're at it.

Emacs, or more specifically Xemacs,... (2.00 / 1) (#24)
by Paradox on Wed Apr 19, 2000 at 07:20:18 PM EST

Paradox voted 1 on this story.

Emacs, or more specifically Xemacs, is by far the most featureful and powerful editor in existance. Emacs makes far more sense than the minimalist vi in a day and age where computing time is cheap.
Dave "Paradox" Fayram

print print join q( ), split(q,q,,reverse qq;#qsti
qq)\;qlre;.q.pqevolqiqdog.);#1 reason to grin at Perl
print "\n";

A little (semi) off-topic quote I ran across this (none / 0) (#31)
by dlc on Fri Apr 21, 2000 at 08:45:29 AM EST

...as I was discussing Life With Unix with a co-worker:

The only use I can find for vi is editing emacs sources while porting them to a new machine
      Larry Campbell

(I found it amusing as an emacs-to-vi convert's point of view.)

darren

(darren)

Emacs Beginner's Tutorial | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)