Ask Jeeves Interview

By caliban in News
Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 11:56:32 PM EST
Tags: Interviews (all tags)
Interviews

FNwire 'interviews' the AskJeeves search engine.

Its kinda funny and illustrates how far off the mark current search engine AI is.

o 'interviews'
o Also by caliban

Ask Jeeves Interview | 16 comments (16 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
too late, sorry ... (none / 0) (#3)
by ramses0 on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 04:37:51 AM EST

ramses0 voted -1 on this story.

too late, sorry
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

I've seen interviews with Oliver St... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 05:58:59 AM EST

rusty voted 0 on this story.

I've seen interviews with Oliver Stone that were significantly less coherent than that.

Seriously though, has anyone found a subset of information that Ask Jeeves is good for? It's never done anything even remotely useful for me. It's more like a random response thing. Ask enough questions, probability ensures you'll get an interesting response...

____
Not the real rusty

What Jeeves is good for (none / 0) (#13)
by evro on Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 12:17:08 AM EST

I've found ask.com good for things like "What's the capital of Zaire?" Basic elementary school type stuff. But anything reasonably difficult, such as "what kind of carburetor came with a '69 Camaro?" or anything requiring thought usually turns up duds (this example was just a guess, it may actually give you the right answer... though, I wouldn't know whether it was right or wrong...)
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"
Re: What Jeeves is good for (none / 0) (#14)
by shepd on Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 02:22:02 AM EST

Asking "ask jeeves" what kind of carburetor came with a '69 Camaro? gives you
these (highest ranked) responses:

- mutual oral sex, bondage, masochism, etc... (wow... the number 69 must carry
a LOT of weight!)
 - carburetors
 - Chevrolet Camaro

1/2 way there... :-)

Q-u-i-c-k-i-e..... ... (none / 0) (#6)
by mattdm on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 12:42:40 PM EST

mattdm voted 0 on this story.

Q-u-i-c-k-i-e..... (Hey look, a comment that is appropriate for the moderation stage, but should be discarded afterward. I sure wish there were a check box for that. *grin*)

Re: Q-u-i-c-k-i-e........ (none / 0) (#16)
by Strange Charmed One on Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 04:23:51 PM EST

I had something to that effect as a sig- Rusty said he would deal with it, but hasn't. I may have to revert my sig.
Feel the urge to put excessively cute little quotes into your .sig?

JUST SAY NO!

If you or one of your friends is frequently plagued by this tendency, Help IS available- Ask me how.

If this is in fact what it purports... (none / 0) (#5)
by Skippy on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 12:49:23 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

If this is in fact what it purports to be, it's hilarious!

This should be on like AOL's start ... (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by Anonymous Coward on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 01:44:45 PM EST

Anonymous Coward voted -1 on this story.

This should be on like AOL's start page, 'cause I don't think anyone but AOLers use ASKJEEVES.

I laughed. This was hilarious. ... (none / 0) (#7)
by evro on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 02:30:37 PM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

I laughed. This was hilarious.

guy: "Bees? I don't understand."
Jeeves: "Bees don't get Arthritis."
lol. You can't write stuff like that.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Bloody Hillarious... (none / 0) (#2)
by joeyo on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 03:18:40 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

Bloody Hillarious

Ah, what the hell.... (none / 0) (#10)
by marlowe on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 05:56:19 PM EST

marlowe voted 1 on this story.

Ah, what the hell.

This is a lot funnier than I expect... (none / 0) (#9)
by nascent on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 06:44:59 PM EST

nascent voted 1 on this story.

This is a lot funnier than I expected. Anyone heard about the AI IRC Bot contest that was going on? What's the skinny on that little hoo-ha?
nascent

Humorous. More evidence that www.g... (none / 0) (#12)
by jrennie on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 07:05:19 PM EST

jrennie voted 1 on this story.

Humorous. More evidence that www.google.com is the only search engine you need.... :-)

Very nicely done.... (none / 0) (#4)
by fvw on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 07:40:55 PM EST

fvw voted 1 on this story.

Very nicely done.

It is very funny!!!... (none / 0) (#11)
by hgayosso on Sun Apr 02, 2000 at 11:21:58 PM EST

hgayosso voted 1 on this story.

It is very funny!!!
support the Free Software!!! http://www.gnu.org

Re: Ask Jeeves Interview (none / 0) (#15)
by skim123 on Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 03:43:50 AM EST

Man, that was hilarious. I was literally laughing outloud on several of those comments. I liked the:

Myth: AskJeeves is not an answer database

Tee hee! Too funny.

PT Barnum

Ask Jeeves Interview | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)