Judge: my.mp3.com Violates Copyright

By evro in News
Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 03:31:53 AM EST
Tags: Music (all tags)
Music

According to the ZDNet story (which doesn't have much meat), MP3.com's my.mp3.com service, which lets people download MP3s if they have the CD, violates copyright, and MP3 is "liable for copyright infringement." They were suing for the site to be shutdown, so I don't think MP3.com has to pay anything, but... well... take a look at their stock price.

While simply proving you have an album doesn't mean you own it, if you have access to the album anyway, can't you just rip it to MP3 on your own? Is this the point of contention with the RIAA? Or is it possible to give your login and pw to someone else who can then go and download the songs? I've never used the service so I don't know how it works.

I used to think MP3.com was a complete waste of bandwidth, but I noticed that if you buy a CD through cheap-cds.com you can download the tracks from MP3.com. That, IMO, is a really cool feature... I'm hoping to try it out soon. Cheap-CDs is cool.

o ZDNet
o the ZDNet story
o my.mp3.com
o their stock price
o cheap-cds. com
o try it out
o Also by evro

Judge: my.mp3.com Violates Copyright | 18 comments (18 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Well, I certainly can't complain ab... (none / 0) (#4)
by fluffy grue on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 02:54:38 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Well, I certainly can't complain about their stock price plummeting, given that I feel that mp3.com is one of those Andover-like companies which has no real product and no business HAVING stock. However, my.mp3.com certainly doen't violate copyright IMO, since it's only acting as a broker for data for which the users already have a license to use. However, the technological problems in preventing abuse of it are likely a good enough reason for it to be considered a breach of copyright, so I can't say I'm too annoyed about it being shut down.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Well, I certainly can't complain ab... (4.00 / 1) (#18)
by davidu on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 10:47:24 PM EST

Your wrong!

Do you consider your ISP to have a product? Cuz they don't, they offer a service. MP3.com does the same. They are a Music Service Provider. Also, if you don't think they have a product, what do you call all their CD sales. (That they make on-demand)

I know MP3.com very well and I don't think your comment was very well-informed.

Who goes to that site anyway?... (none / 0) (#5)
by Velian on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 03:25:49 PM EST

Velian voted -1 on this story.

Who goes to that site anyway?

I must vote no on the principle tha... (none / 0) (#2)
by Emacs on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 04:42:27 PM EST

Emacs voted -1 on this story.

I think they don't care about the f... (none / 0) (#9)
by sergent on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 04:47:23 PM EST

sergent voted -1 on this story.

I think they don't care about the fact that you could rip them on your own -- they're saying that mp3.com can't distribute the tracks regardless of whether they know you own the album.

I AM GETTING VERY TIRED OF MP3 STOR... (none / 0) (#7)
by End on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 05:11:38 PM EST

End voted -1 on this story.

I AM GETTING VERY TIRED OF MP3 STORIES. THERE ARE TOO MANY OF THEM.

-JD

Re: I AM GETTING VERY TIRED OF MP3 STOR... (none / 0) (#14)
by evro on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 02:32:36 PM EST

My apologies; they're news, and definitely an example of culture and technology so I think they fit the site like a glove.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"
Re: I AM GETTING VERY TIRED OF MP3 STOR... (none / 0) (#17)
by End on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 09:49:16 PM EST

Well and good, and I wouldn't mind but that there's an oversaturation of MP3 stories...when there's a headline about it every day it's no longer news, and maybe we should start looking for more interesting and insightful things to think about.

-JD

Wasn't the buy it on CD and listen ... (none / 0) (#11)
by nicktamm on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 07:01:28 PM EST

nicktamm voted 1 on this story.

Wasn't the buy it on CD and listen to it before UPS delivers it part of the whole my.mp3.com thing? If they are shutting it down, you better hurry if you want to try it :).
Nick Tamm nick-k5@echorequest.net http://www.nicktamm.org

Old news. Heard it three times alr... (none / 0) (#8)
by buzzbomb on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 10:19:21 PM EST

buzzbomb voted 0 on this story.

Old news. Heard it three times already...

Sorry but this was all over the net... (none / 0) (#6)
by mihalis on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 10:49:09 PM EST

mihalis voted -1 on this story.

Sorry but this was all over the net all day long. Nothing wrong with the story except it's a little old.
-- Chris Morgan <see em at mihalis dot net>

I figure since i work there, I care... (none / 0) (#3)
by davidu on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 11:12:27 PM EST

davidu voted 1 on this story.

I figure since i work there, I care.

Not enough writeup and an overly fa... (none / 0) (#1)
by Demona on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 11:48:55 PM EST

Demona voted 0 on this story.

Not enough writeup and an overly familiar topic with nothing really new.

We've seen this ruling all over the... (none / 0) (#10)
by magney on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 03:31:53 AM EST

magney voted 1 on this story.

We've seen this ruling all over the place, including at That Other Site. But I like the write-up for this one. Personally, I think the my.mp3.com service was legally precarious from the start, particularly with the likes of the RIAA lined up against it. I just hope the fallout from the death of my.mp3.com doesn't kill mp3.com.

Do I look like I speak for my employer?

[OT] ObRant "That Other Site" (none / 0) (#12)
by Inoshiro on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 04:31:15 AM EST

I'd just like to say, as I see this every few days or so, that I just don't read That Other Site like I used to. I see my stories here first, and maybe there a day or more later. I tend to avoid The Other Side because the quality tends to be less :-/

So, in future, let's have less complaints about duping, because to some of us, it's not duping at all! :-)

[ イノシロ ]
Re: [OT] ObRant "That Other Site" (none / 0) (#13)
by rusty on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 04:58:48 AM EST

Man, I thought that was a fairly positive comment, for a "TOS". There were several that were much more terse and less understanding of what we're about. Maybe this one was just nearest to the top. :-)

In any case, the TOS's lately have been I think a result of the inevitable culture clash of lots of new users. Give everyone time, and they'll all be reading stuff here instead too. It doesn't hurt to remind folks from time to time, though.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: We've seen this ruling all over the... (none / 0) (#15)
by evro on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 02:50:14 PM EST

Just FYI, I submitted this here before it was run on Slashdot. IMO, one problem with story moderation is that it adds a lot of latency into story posting. Love'em or hate'em, any time you have one person deciding which stories to post, the stories are going to get posted way quicker than if you use a committee. As for this having already been "all over the net," I usually have to rely on other sites (normally Wired News, ZDNet, and C|Net) to get my news, so most of the things I find are from those sites. I don't really know whether or not to assume everybody reads those sites as well, because if I do that then I won't be posting too many stories. But if kuro5hin.org is a person's first source of news, I think it's worth them seeing it here.

On an offtopic note, I notice that some people have been voting stories down for very stupid reasons. Some examples:

• Who goes to that site anyway?
  • I must vote no on the principle that zdnet is a complete and utter waste of a site. They care very little for facts or reality.
  • Not enough writeup and an overly familiar topic with nothing really new. [I especially love this one. They lost the case and may be subject to pay damages in the billions of dollars, which will put them out of business, but it's "not really new"]
Now, everybody is free to vote however they like for whatever reasons they like, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I think everybody needs to consider more criteria than "I hate that site you linked to" or "This is so old," when the submission was posted within hours of the story becoming news. I have voted down stories with the "this is so old" mantra, but usually only after the story was 2 or 3 days old.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"
Re: We've seen this ruling all over the... (none / 0) (#16)
by mortal on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 08:19:51 PM EST

Isn't the main reason for this site to discuss the news in a semi intelligent way. Not to hear new news

Judge: my.mp3.com Violates Copyright | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)