kuro5hin.ircnetwork.net

By deimos in News
Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 04:31:19 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

kuro5hin.org and ircnetwork.net have joined forces to let you flame your fellow readers in real time. The new ircnetwork.net is in the process of breaking away from it's SlashNet origins and expanding to create more communities with less netsplits. Join us at kuro5hin.ircnetwork.net.

ircnetwork.net: Good Monkeys, Great Typewriters.

o Kuro5hin
o Also by deimos

kuro5hin.ircnetwork.net | 20 comments (20 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
As I told them, I personally hate I... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 04:57:56 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

As I told them, I personally hate IRC. But many of you like it, so I say Go Forth and Chat. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: As I told them, I personally hate I... (none / 0) (#14)
by Commienst on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 05:33:40 AM EST

I hate IRC too. What does everyone see in a network where everyone idles all day and overuses lol, rofl, and imho? Plus it is ridicilous how people long to be irc channel operators, it makes for unnecessary politics.

Re: As I told them, I personally hate I... (none / 0) (#17)
by rusty on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 02:27:32 PM EST

I just don't like it because it's too complicated for what it is. If I'm in the mood to talk to people, then kind of by definition, I'm *not* in the mood to learn all the intracacies of ops and netsplits and whatever else they have going on on that beast. Give me back telnet chat please. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: As I told them, I personally hate I... (none / 0) (#18)
by mattm on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 03:13:26 PM EST

Oh, a talk hold-out, are you! Well, I guess I shouldn't try to recommend any TinyMUDs or MUCKs then, eh? :)

Re: As I told them, I personally hate I... (none / 0) (#19)
by rusty on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 03:18:43 PM EST

Ha. Amusingly, the only live conversation I've had with Inoshiro so far has been on talk(1). I personally think Opium Den was the height of quality in console-based chat, but I can't find the code anymore. Otherwise I'd have a telnet chat running too, that I could use. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Talkers, Opium Den, Capsi Chat (3.00 / 1) (#20)
by mattm on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 04:46:25 PM EST

Couldn't find Opium Den in a cursory search (maybe it wasshut down by the Feds. [snigger]) but I found a talker apparently based on it, Capsi Chat. Give it a try.

Personally, as long as the IRC'ers are chewing up bandwidth on ircnetwork.net instead of here, hey! I don't mind at all!

I'm terribly addicted to IRC. Hope... (none / 0) (#2)
by bmetzler on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 05:33:43 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

I'm terribly addicted to IRC. Hope to see you all there.
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

Couldn't there be a seperate sectio... (none / 0) (#11)
by Mrs Edna Graustein on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 06:21:35 PM EST

Mrs Edna Graustein voted 1 on this story.

Couldn't there be a seperate section of kuro5hin updates?
And if any of you put that in a .sig, I'll hunt you down and kill you twice. ;-)
Rusty

Yay! :P... (none / 0) (#4)
by Velian on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 06:25:11 PM EST

Velian voted 1 on this story.

Yay! :P

Cool. I should use IRC more. And is... (none / 0) (#10)
by nicktamm on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 07:09:50 PM EST

nicktamm voted 1 on this story.

Cool. I should use IRC more. And isn't that the same slogan as slashnet's? Or is it a general slogan?
Nick Tamm nick-k5@echorequest.net http://www.nicktamm.org

IRC. Better than AIM or ICQ ;)... (none / 0) (#8)
by enthalpyX on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 09:23:52 PM EST

enthalpyX voted 1 on this story.

IRC. Better than AIM or ICQ ;)

Wonder if I can get banned as fast ... (none / 0) (#3)
by Demona on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 10:06:16 PM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

Wonder if I can get banned as fast as I did from #slashdot?

There are already enough IRC networ... (3.00 / 3) (#7)
by buzzbomb on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 10:14:57 PM EST

buzzbomb voted -1 on this story.

There are already enough IRC networks. Networks with a diverse group of people. Why the hell would I want to join one with just a bunch of geeks?

no more networks! (none / 0) (#15)
by mattc on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 09:57:20 AM EST

I agree we don't need any more networks!! Why not have the #kuro5hin channel on an already existing network like openprojects, undernet, ircnet, or even (ugh) efnet.

I usually use Undernet, mainly because that is where my friends hang out. But openprojects would be a good choice too because it is easy to register a channel.

Anyway, it is hard to stay connected to one server, let alone two or three!

Re: no more networks! (none / 0) (#16)
by shonson on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 10:50:30 AM EST

Something that was failed to be mentioned, ircnetwork.net is SlashNET, home of the official slashdot irc channel. So its not a new network, its just a new name for an existing network.
-- Steven in #kuro5hin
I think IRC is better for chat and ... (none / 0) (#5)
by mihalis on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 10:45:28 PM EST

mihalis voted 1 on this story.

I think IRC is better for chat and web threads better for something just slightly more well thought out.
-- Chris Morgan <see em at mihalis dot net>

I like this idea, its good to see a... (none / 0) (#12)
by shonson on Fri Apr 28, 2000 at 11:19:32 PM EST

shonson voted 1 on this story.

I like this idea, its good to see an official #kuro5hin channel apear.
-- Steven in #kuro5hin

Cool, a K5 irc site... definitely w... (1.33 / 3) (#9)
by warpeightbot on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 01:27:33 AM EST

warpeightbot voted 1 on this story.

Cool, a K5 irc site... definitely want to get the word out. Post away.

When you have a scene from Hamlet, ... (none / 0) (#6)
by your_desired_username on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 04:31:19 AM EST

your_desired_username voted 1 on this story.

When you have a scene from Hamlet, or Macbeth, or even the Tempest, *then*, you will have something to talk about.

Fight for previews at the kuro5hin voting box!

Re: When you have a scene from Hamlet, ... (none / 0) (#13)
by rusty on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 04:41:45 AM EST

I'm sorry it's taking so long to get the moderation stuff fixed (previews, and marking comments "post" or "don't"). The project stuff is pretty much all set up now, though, so I'm doing development again. There will be fixes RSN-- and if you want to keep track of where things are, or recommend improvements, scoop.kuro5hin.org is the place to be.

____
Not the real rusty
kuro5hin.ircnetwork.net | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)