$50 boxen?

By neonman in News
Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 02:46:47 PM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

Well, while fooling around with my iopener, I spotted this on linux-hacker.net. Apparently, yet another company has built a Net appliance with standard pc hardware. I could list the specs of this thing right here, but you might as well follow the link for more details. I picked one up yesterday. This thing has a lot of potential.

o this
o linux-hack er.net.
o Also by neonman

$50 boxen? | 26 comments (26 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
might wanna list the specs when you... (2.00 / 1) (#12)
by confidential on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 01:39:23 PM EST

confidential voted 0 on this story.

might wanna list the specs when you say you're going to ;-) yes rusty, this is yet another "should be deleted after commentes end" post ^_~ other then that, great link, thanks

16mb permanent storage? Yuck, not ... (2.00 / 1) (#20)
by flamingcow on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 01:48:01 PM EST

flamingcow voted -1 on this story.

16mb permanent storage? Yuck, not worth the $50.

Saw this one today also. It's pret... (5.00 / 1) (#2)
by techt on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 02:02:20 PM EST

techt voted 1 on this story.

Saw this one today also. It's pretty neat. One also gets a wireless keyboard with integrated pointing device in the deal. Buying one requires the purchase of a 2 year internet service also -- but reports are most dealers aren't currently enforcing it. (I'm sure once they learn of the hacks, they'll be sure to enforce the 2 year service purchase.)
Proud member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation!
Are You? http://www.eff.org/support/joineff.html

Where do you buy them, and what doe... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 02:17:22 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Where do you buy them, and what does the $50 get you? Monitor included?

____
Not the real rusty

Uhh... Cyrix 180? Isn't that like ... (3.00 / 1) (#8)
by evro on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 03:10:08 PM EST

evro voted 0 on this story.

Uhh... Cyrix 180? Isn't that like a Pentium 133? 16 MB memory? I think you can get celerons that are more usable than this for about the same price (~$200), if you don't count a monitor.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

cool, but personally I found the iO... (3.00 / 1) (#14)
by nicktamm on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 03:31:32 PM EST

nicktamm voted 1 on this story.

cool, but personally I found the iOpener more interesting since it had a built-in screen. I like the keyboard/mouse on this, though.
Nick Tamm nick-k5@echorequest.net http://www.nicktamm.org

Good God! How can these people stay... (3.00 / 1) (#9)
by fluffy grue on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 04:21:43 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Good God! How can these people stay in business?! I want one. Or fifty.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

YA "el cheapo" box linked to a suck... (3.00 / 1) (#13)
by warpeightbot on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 04:48:51 PM EST

warpeightbot voted 0 on this story.

YA "el cheapo" box linked to a sucky ISP. Ho, hum. Might generate some good discussion, but I dunno.

Re: YA "el cheapo" box linked to a suck... (none / 0) (#23)
by neonman on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 03:24:46 PM EST

well, its qnx software seems to allow the use of another isp. That is one of their options, at least, but I don't intend to use qnx on this anyway.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org
No, I might not as well follow the ... (1.00 / 1) (#11)
by Velian on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 05:51:34 PM EST

Velian voted -1 on this story.

No, I might not as well follow the link. Summaries... are good. That's not why I give this -1, though. It's just not interesting to me. :)

Looks cool, and maybe one of these ... (4.00 / 1) (#18)
by Wodin on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 06:00:53 PM EST

Wodin voted 1 on this story.

Looks cool, and maybe one of these companies will get the idea that we like this kind of thing and start offering versions ready to modify...

+$600 ISP subscription...... (1.00 / 1) (#5)
by fvw on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 07:52:20 PM EST

fvw voted -1 on this story.

+$600 ISP subscription...

list some of the specs next time. ;... (3.00 / 1) (#4)
by mr. creep on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 08:20:48 PM EST

mr. creep voted 1 on this story.

list some of the specs next time. ;P~
brian - geeknik.net

Not news.... (1.00 / 1) (#17)
by heinzkeinz on Sat Apr 29, 2000 at 08:30:35 PM EST

heinzkeinz voted -1 on this story.

Not news.

WTWU? (Where's the Write Up?)... (3.00 / 1) (#7)
by skim123 on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 03:56:25 AM EST

skim123 voted -1 on this story.

WTWU? (Where's the Write Up?)

PT Barnum

I'd prefer more of a write up, but ... (3.00 / 1) (#3)
by Inoshiro on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 04:00:16 AM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

I'd prefer more of a write up, but I can't resist these cute-little proto PCs :-)

[ イノシロ ]

If this keeps happening, perhaps th... (4.00 / 1) (#15)
by Fyndalf on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 05:08:49 AM EST

Fyndalf voted 1 on this story.

If this keeps happening, perhaps they'll stop all they annoying "plans" (ie. schemes) for hardware/service bundling and things will be simpler?

mlp... (1.00 / 1) (#10)
by alisdair on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 07:54:43 AM EST

alisdair voted -1 on this story.

mlp

N3470 ... (1.00 / 1) (#16)
by stardot8 on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 09:42:40 AM EST

stardot8 voted 1 on this story.

N3470 sW337 y4H.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ who died and left you buckwheat?

Don't you see these things in the b... (3.00 / 1) (#19)
by deimos on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 10:27:45 AM EST

deimos voted 0 on this story.

Don't you see these things in the back pages of trade rags?
irc.kuro5hin.org: Good Monkeys, Great Typewriters.

Re: Don't you see these things in the b... (none / 0) (#24)
by neonman on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 04:47:41 PM EST

Well, their web site seems to talk about their product being some sort of kit or building platform for internet appliances. Not sure, though.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org
sorry: bad url (none / 0) (#25)
by neonman on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 04:51:57 PM EST

the people apparently want the www. Here it is again.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org
for those of us who missed the i-op... (3.00 / 1) (#6)
by typhatix on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 01:48:05 PM EST

typhatix voted 1 on this story.

for those of us who missed the i-opener before it was all bought up...WOO HOO!

Interesting, but it looks like the ... (3.00 / 1) (#21)
by Graeme on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 02:46:47 PM EST

Graeme voted 1 on this story.

Interesting, but it looks like the box is $199, not $50. Not as cool as the iopener, bud it'd be neat to have an X terminal running on my TV.

Specs (3.50 / 2) (#22)
by neonman on Sun Apr 30, 2000 at 03:18:35 PM EST

Okay, these are the specs as they are currently known:
- Cyrix 180 Mhz
- 16Mb dimm... probably 66 Mhz given the cpu
- 16Mb Disk On Chip by M-Systems (apparently, this isn't ide)
- wireless keyboard/mouse unit (reciever on front of box)
- vga and ntsc output from a trident cyberpro (1mb video ram, I believe)
- s-video output
- rca sound output connectors (there are also solder pads for 1/8" connectors for mic/stereo audio output and input)
- ps2 keyboard and mouse connectors (tabs must be removed from case to utilize these)
- riser card with a shared pci/isa slot (It may be possible to put stuff on both busses)
- real 56k isa modem
- solder pads on motherboard for ide header (this apparently works)
- solder pads for a 10/100 ethernet chipset and an rj45 connector (I believe that some models come with ethernet for broadband access. Supposedly, these use an intel chipset)

I hope I didn't leave any details out. Sorry about that.

Other than that, these units sell at CompUSA under the name WebSurfer Pro and the brand name "innovator". They are really hard to get as far as I understand. An employee at one store told me that one guy came in and bought 6 at one time. I was only able to get one. It is also rumored that the $49.95 price could have been an error.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org
same hardware, different company (5.00 / 1) (#26)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon May 01, 2000 at 01:17:19 PM EST

The same hardware is being sold by Cedar Systems as 'thin clients'. The company
I work for uses them as terminals connected to a windows terminal server. They
are identical (and look identical) to the websurfer machines but the cedars
feature network adapters and don't have a wireless keyboard. It uses wince and
has a built-in ica/rdp client. I don't know if it is possible to connect a
harddisk without soldering.

Unfortunatelly they cost 800 dutch guilders (about $330 with the current
exchange rate, but you might get them cheaper in the US). Have a look at
http://cedarsystems.com/ (they've redesigned the machine, there are no pictures
of the 'old' websurfer-like models on this site).

$50 boxen? | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)