(Timely) Microsoft rulings to be posted

By fluffy grue in News
Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 07:03:42 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

The Microsoft ruling is going to be posted at 5 PM EST today (in an hour, at the time of this writing). We can finally see what'll happen to our friends in Redmond.

We can also see if K5's story moderation can act fast enough on this one. :)

o posted at 5 PM EST
o Also by fluffy grue

(Timely) Microsoft rulings to be posted | 6 comments (6 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
This is on BBC news right as i type... (4.00 / 1) (#5)
by bse on Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 04:17:00 PM EST

bse voted 1 on this story.

This is on BBC news right as i type this. spooky. =P
i dont know what the people over the atlantic are getting on the news, but comments here are that they mgiht be forced into "Fair pricing", opening their source code, or splitting the company up into (i qoute) "lots of little microsofts".
source code wourldnt really help (random guess..) them. but anything is possible. and with bill taking a back seat now.. splitting up the company seems like a good possiblity (good for whom? =P )

my 2bits

"Please sir, tell me why, my life's so pitiful, but the future's so bright? When I look ahead, it burns my retinas." -- Pitchshifter - Please Sir

I expect a few "who cares about Mic... (5.00 / 1) (#4)
by analog on Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 04:17:13 PM EST

analog voted 1 on this story.

I expect a few "who cares about Microsoft" responses here, but really this affects all of us. The software industry in general (and Microsoft in particular) has gotten away with behavior for years that would never be tolerated in any other industry; this could well be the 'defining moment' that makes people take a hard look and decide they're not putting up with it any more (well, one can hope anyway ;).

Nope. :-)... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 06:38:09 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Nope. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

It's about time. ... (none / 0) (#2)
by bmetzler on Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 06:54:57 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

It's about time.

GUILTY!! GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY!!!

How I love that word!
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

yeah... I really hope k5's article... (none / 0) (#3)
by neonman on Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 07:03:42 PM EST

neonman voted 1 on this story.

yeah... I really hope k5's article moderation works quickly. I remember when the story on the color palms sat in moderation for 4 days before it got either lost or was posted (I can't remember).
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

Re: (Timely) Microsoft rulings to be posted (none / 0) (#6)
by fluffy grue on Mon Apr 03, 2000 at 10:29:07 PM EST

Well, that was a bit of a disappointment... it was only the verdict, and no sentence has been imposed yet. More disappointingly/frustratingly is that those boneheaded prosecutors had concentrated so much on Netscape that although MSFT were found guilty of violating several parts of the Sherman antitrust act, it only applies to the browser market and not software and OSes in general. Damnit. This means, of course, that the "fair" sentence might very well only force them to stop bundling MSIE with Windows, which personally I see as a Bad Thing (you *need* a browser, and I'm fine with MSIE being bundled, it's all the OTHER stuff, like killing OS/2 and DR-DOS and SCO and making it impossible forthings like BeOS to take a foothold in the market, that I hate them for). Damnit. At least it practically guarantees an automatic guilty in the class-action lawsuit.

Does anyone know if the Double Jeopardy statues apply to corporations, or do they just apply to individuals? That is, can MSFT still be put on federal trial for violating antitrust laws in the OS realm, or can only civil suits happen? I suppose a whole buttload of civil suits is still a Good Thing, but I'd rather see a circumstance which WOULD require a breakup. (I'm of the opinion that a breakup would be Good.)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

(Timely) Microsoft rulings to be posted | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)