DMCA Protest at Stanford

By rusty in News
Thu May 11, 2000 at 09:23:58 PM EST
Tags: Politics (all tags)
Politics

In the wake of today's DMCA related MS/Slashdot conflict, readers may be interested to know that Stanford area Linux users are planning a protest outside the Stanford Law school on May 18th, from 12PM to 2PM, during the further hearings associated with the US Copyright Office's "Rulemaking on Exemptions from Prohibition on Circumvention of Technological Measures that Control Access to Copyrighted Works" hearings. Unreadable title notwithstanding, the hearings are an attempt to gather testimony from interested parties about the DMCA. The protest web page invites:

"Freedom-loving people who want to preserve the rights of users, not just copyright holders. People who value fair use and the right to reverse engineer for compatibility. Free software enthusiasts. Internet users. Programmers. Engineers. Library card holders. Citizens."
to come and show their opposition to the DMCA. More info and a map are available on the protest page above.

o Slashdot
o MS/Slashdo t conflict
o protest
o Rulemaking on Exemptions from Prohibition on Circumvention of Technological Measures that Control Access to Copyrighted Works
o Also by rusty

DMCA Protest at Stanford | 16 comments (16 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
If I were in California, I'd be the... (none / 0) (#4)
by kovacsp on Thu May 11, 2000 at 06:36:15 PM EST

kovacsp voted 1 on this story.

If I were in California, I'd be there.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I dou... (2.00 / 1) (#5)
by Paradox on Thu May 11, 2000 at 06:46:07 PM EST

Paradox voted 1 on this story.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I doubt it will do much to protest. Since when have coperations cared about consumers, other than what they can sell the masses?
Dave "Paradox" Fayram

print print join q( ), split(q,q,,reverse qq;#qsti
qq)\;qlre;.q.pqevolqiqdog.);#1 reason to grin at Perl
print "\n";

Re: I hate to be pessimistic, but I dou... (4.00 / 1) (#8)
by Wah on Thu May 11, 2000 at 09:58:19 PM EST

"Since when have coperations cared about consumers"

Since consumers decided to tell corporations to bugger off. I'm thinking about a plane ticket.

Speak up or never be heard, that's MHO.
Fail to Obey?
Hmm, might have to check that out. ... (2.00 / 1) (#1)
by analog on Thu May 11, 2000 at 06:49:42 PM EST

analog voted 1 on this story.

Hmm, might have to check that out.

There's an interesting tidbit to be had by following the copyright office link; according to that page, the part of the DMCA prohibiting circumvention of technological access barriers doesn't go into effect until October 28th of this year.

Does this mean that the RIAA is persecuting young Mr. Johansen using as their legal justification a law that doesn't take effect until five months from now? Wouldn't ex post facto apply?

Re: Hmm, might have to check that out. ... (none / 0) (#7)
by analog on Thu May 11, 2000 at 09:35:14 PM EST

ummm, that should probably be MPAA not RIAA... ahh, screw it... call them the *AA and have done with it.

This one is time-sensitive, let's g... (3.00 / 2) (#3)
by warpeightbot on Thu May 11, 2000 at 06:55:01 PM EST

warpeightbot voted 1 on this story.

This one is time-sensitive, let's get it out the door asap.

Hopefully this will be better handled than some other demonstrations I could name (WTO)... and hopefully the PTO will listen... Maybe....

We have to be willing to take this one all the way, though. Without the First Amendment on the Internet, the rest of our rights will have an alarming tendency to go blotto.

I'm really starting to regret missi... (none / 0) (#6)
by genehack on Thu May 11, 2000 at 07:40:33 PM EST

genehack voted 1 on this story.

I'm really starting to regret missing DCLUG's DCMA protest a while back...

duh... (none / 0) (#2)
by Wah on Thu May 11, 2000 at 08:46:59 PM EST

Wah voted 1 on this story.

duh
Fail to Obey?

Importance of Stanford (none / 0) (#9)
by Elendale on Thu May 11, 2000 at 11:10:11 PM EST

This is particularly interesting because a non-computer school (at least, not like MIT, etc.) is doing the protesting- what's more its the law division that protests. While I doubt MS&Co. will really take note, other people might. Like the government and specifically the DOJ. Excellent timing here.

-Elendale (Here's hoping it goes off without a hitch)

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

Re: Importance of Stanford (none / 0) (#12)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri May 12, 2000 at 07:21:17 AM EST

The copyright office set the venue. They probably picked the law school because laws are written for lawyers, right?

Re: Importance of Stanford (none / 0) (#16)
by Anonymous Hero on Sun May 14, 2000 at 10:41:17 PM EST

Yeah....one thing is that if the CS department protested, they'd gather at the Gates Computer Science building.....

I would go.. (2.00 / 1) (#10)
by Nyarlathotep on Fri May 12, 2000 at 03:15:51 AM EST

..if I lived in the bay area. I have lived in the bay area at one point. They advertise protest on the collage radios there. You should try to get the cllage stations at Berkley, Stanford, and in San Fransisco to advertise the protezt.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!
I would go...if I lived in the US (none / 0) (#11)
by guppie on Fri May 12, 2000 at 04:15:04 AM EST

As a citizen of Norway, it's a tad difficult to do anything against the DCMA and other threats against Internet/Software freedom, but US laws are still important to us Europeans, because they set the tone of our legislation too.

Besides, with the Internet community, the national boundaries are not that important. Just look at the DeCSS case, where a Norwegian boy is in a ton of trouble for something (reverse engineering) that's perfectly legal in Norway.

But I'm rambeling, point is: I'm really greatful for you guys who stand up for freedom in the US, because you're fighting for all us foreigners also!

What? The land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy.
-Zack de la Rocha
Is there a calendar maintained of this stuff? (4.00 / 1) (#13)
by jason on Fri May 12, 2000 at 12:05:08 PM EST

I managed to schedule a class's poster session for exactly the same time as this demonstration, so no one from that class will be able to go. Argh.

Is there a weblog-ish calendar somewhere? One where people can post events and users can filter the topics? It'd be handy for avoiding this type of conflict.

Jason

EMERGENCY: PLEASE MIRROR CRYPTOME.ORG CONTENTS IMM (1.00 / 1) (#14)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri May 12, 2000 at 02:46:48 PM EST

British intelligence, probably MI6, is attacking cryptome, which hosts documents that MI6 and the NSA (and the MPAA, for that matter) don't want you to see.

URL for mirror is

Download+Mirror! Quickly!

cryptome.org is live (none / 0) (#15)
by kmself on Sun May 14, 2000 at 06:53:00 AM EST

Check it for yourself.

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

DMCA Protest at Stanford | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)