Anonymous user is trying to sue Yahoo!

By in News
Fri May 12, 2000 at 01:27:11 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

Aquacool_2000, a Yahoo! user, is trying to sue Yahoo! for illegally turning over his info without notifying him.

[editor's note, by rusty] I think this needs a little more explaining. It seems that a user of Yahoo!'s financial message boards, going under the name of "Aquacool_2000", was sued for defamation due to things he posted there. He is now, in turn, suing Yahoo! for turning over his user info to the people who are suing him. He claims that Yahoo! did not notify or warn him in any way before turning over the info, and he had no chance to defend his anonymity. According to this ZDNet article, it is standard practice for ISP's to notify customers if they have been subpoenaed, but Yahoo! did no such thing here. So what's the deal?

o ZDNet
o Yahoo
o sue Yahoo!
o Also by

Anonymous user is trying to sue Yahoo! | 18 comments (18 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
[Meta] We need a quickies section d... (4.50 / 2) (#5)
by kraant on Fri May 12, 2000 at 05:47:58 AM EST

kraant voted 1 on this story.

[Meta] We need a quickies section desperately
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

Fix the link. ... (2.00 / 1) (#2)
by hattig on Fri May 12, 2000 at 06:15:59 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Fix the link.

I think that the user had it coming to him - he was obviously posting bad things about the company for them to get so annoyed. He was abusing his right to anonymity.

Interesting story, but way too shor... (2.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Fri May 12, 2000 at 06:42:36 AM EST

rusty voted -1 on this story.

Interesting story, but way too short. If no one wants to take this up, I might write it up myself.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Interesting story, but way too shor... (none / 0) (#20)
by Anonymous Hero on Sat May 13, 2000 at 05:37:00 AM EST

I might write it up myself.

It would be appreciated if you did. So far we don't know much at all about this except that the ACLU and EPIC have become involved. In and of itself, that tends to imply that the defendent does have a case. Some things that you might want to add are

1). What does Yahoo! have to say on the matter.

2). What were the actuall comments that started the whole thing? Were they of an obviously libelous/defamatory nature or is AnswerThink just throwing their weight around?

3). Is the EFF interested in the case? Have they issued a statement on the matter?

Just a few questions that poped into my head when I read the article.

You might be strangling my chicken, but you don't want to know what I'm doing to your hampster.

Interesting piece of mindless link ... (2.00 / 1) (#3)
by Strange Charmed One on Fri May 12, 2000 at 07:25:52 AM EST

Strange Charmed One voted 1 on this story.

Interesting piece of mindless link propogation. Thanks for the additional info, Rusty- but more wanted even though I am voting for it.
Feel the urge to put excessively cute little quotes into your .sig?

JUST SAY NO!

If you or one of your friends is frequently plagued by this tendency, Help IS available- Ask me how.

The ZDnet article doesn't have any ... (3.00 / 1) (#13)
by duxup on Fri May 12, 2000 at 07:45:58 AM EST

duxup voted -1 on this story.

The ZDnet article doesn't have any info on Yahoo's side of the story. There are no other sources. It sounds somewhat suspicious. Normally 1 source is good for me, but too many of ZDs writer's will post anything with the word internet in it for me to take it at face value.

I would like to see more info in th... (2.50 / 2) (#7)
by scorpion on Fri May 12, 2000 at 08:46:56 AM EST

scorpion voted 1 on this story.

I would like to see more info in the writeup. But interesting article in the newspaper. Boston Globe 5/12/00.

rusty shouldn't have to make the st... (4.00 / 2) (#6)
by Velian on Fri May 12, 2000 at 09:15:39 AM EST

Velian voted -1 on this story.

rusty shouldn't have to make the stories decent. Just submit it as a real, good story instead of editing it.

I've had cause recently to make a f... (4.00 / 1) (#11)
by h2odragon on Fri May 12, 2000 at 10:43:16 AM EST

h2odragon voted 1 on this story.

I've had cause recently to make a few informal queries on the subject of disclosing client information. I will certainly notify my customers before answering any sort of official (and probably most unoffical) questions.

Several of the folks whose opinions I've sampled would also notify the customer as well as terminating any services, which is a much more interesting question. Folks who are just in business would rather not have the hassle (understandable), which could quickly lead to easy and effective censorship by anybody who can get a subpoena issued... or perhaps even sound legitimate while making the threat.

I've heard of FBI agents assuring ISPs that subpoenas for client information were a common matter, to be settled the same day via fax. That might leave time for notification but probably not sufficient to allow for a real response by the client.

Mr. Sobel's comments at the end of the ZDnet article are well taken, though I've got to wonder what "all the major ISPs" are. Yahoo is certainly major, they are supplying services, they didn't provide notification...

How many of us who are not major ISPs, yet provide services, care to participate in this kind of a fight?

Good topic, but anyone who honestly... (2.00 / 1) (#8)
by DemiGodez on Fri May 12, 2000 at 10:48:50 AM EST

DemiGodez voted 1 on this story.

Good topic, but anyone who honestly believes in anonymity and the expectation of privacy on any of the big sites is very naive.

I think this could be an important ... (2.00 / 1) (#12)
by Alhazred on Fri May 12, 2000 at 10:52:15 AM EST

Alhazred voted 1 on this story.

I think this could be an important decision, especially in the light of the EU's privacy rules.
That is not dead which may eternal lie And with strange aeons death itself may die.

Elaborate. See my post on how to e... (2.00 / 1) (#4)
by mr. creep on Fri May 12, 2000 at 11:10:16 AM EST

mr. creep voted -1 on this story.

Elaborate. See my post on how to embellish. :)
brian - geeknik.net

Eh.... (1.00 / 2) (#14)
by Xidus on Fri May 12, 2000 at 11:40:58 AM EST

Xidus voted -1 on this story.

Eh.
Blerg, eat sig.

*yawn* If he was really posting def... (1.00 / 1) (#10)
by Saint Zero on Fri May 12, 2000 at 12:10:11 PM EST

Saint Zero voted 0 on this story.

*yawn* If he was really posting defamation, then he should know better. Might get yahoo in trouble, I suppose. Any time you get lawyers involved, everyone loses.
---------- Patron Saint of Nothing, really.

I'm not completely sure the law wou... (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by Rasputin on Fri May 12, 2000 at 12:16:42 PM EST

Rasputin voted 1 on this story.

I'm not completely sure the law would favour Aquacool_2000. If it's legal for companies to sell personal information for advertising purposes (even though most of us object) I can't see it being illegal to give away the same information for legal purposes.

The publicity for Yahoo will probably be quite negative, regardless of the outcome.

We really need some clarification of the privacy laws wrt on-line information. The situation here in Canada is no less confused, although there's been less activity in the mainstream to date.
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

EMERGENCY: PLEASE MIRROR CRYPTOME.ORG CONTENTS IMM (2.00 / 1) (#16)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri May 12, 2000 at 02:42:35 PM EST

British intelligence, probably MI6, is attacking cyrptome, which hosts documents that MI6 and the NSA (and the MPAA, for that matter) don't want you to see.

URL for mirror is

Download+Mirror! Quickly!

Re: EMERGENCY: PLEASE MIRROR CRYPTOME.ORG CONTENTS (none / 0) (#17)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri May 12, 2000 at 02:48:16 PM EST

This is for real - check out

Cryptome is moving to a new server. Everything's o (5.00 / 1) (#18)
by rachel on Fri May 12, 2000 at 05:39:11 PM EST

I just called John Young in New York and the Cryptome problems are a direct result of moving to a new, more powerful server to *resist* DDoS attacks. The site should be back on its feet in a day or two.

Anonymous user is trying to sue Yahoo! | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)