WWW9 Conference - Amsterdam

By gandalf_grey in News
Tue May 16, 2000 at 10:48:48 PM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

Well. I'm here in Amsterdam, attending the 9th international WWW conference. What can I say, beautiful city, beautiful weather (so far), and interesting content. For those of you who couldn't make it this year, a few of the highlights are below.

An interesting segment on the WWW and law. The W3C is apparently trying to improve the amount of legal content at the conference, and impressing upon delegates the need for an international awareness of copyright, trademark, and patents. Copyright is nearly internationally regonized. But trademarks and patents are so nationally bound that it's a wonder that companies can do business safely (from a legal standpoint). One titbit. The law allows to to define what territory or juristiction your web product/service abides by. So if you're selling widgits in the US, you should define that your site is bound by US restrictions and law. Otherwise, you could be tried in Cambodian court under Ryjustan law, because your widgets were defective. (And bad widgets carry a bad sentance in Ryjustan.

One other idea: The web is not a product, it's a tool. Yea. Tell that to the glossy-ware makers.

I do have to say that the conference is a little more commercially-oriented than I would like. Lots of ecommerce, ebusiness, epublishing. But then again, it's probably just the streams I've been attending lately. And I suppose it's a consequence of the overall trend from anarchy to commercialism that we've all noticed over the past 4-5 years.. Hopefully there will be more of the technical side later.

o Also by gandalf_grey

WWW9 Conference - Amsterdam | 16 comments (16 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
One interesting point: Web sites do... (3.00 / 1) (#7)
by Saint Zero on Tue May 16, 2000 at 12:33:01 PM EST

Saint Zero voted 1 on this story.

One interesting point: Web sites do need to point out what laws they are operating under someplace. God forbid I should have to travel to Saudia Arabia to sue someone. :)
---------- Patron Saint of Nothing, really.

I'm not sure there's enough in this... (none / 0) (#3)
by PrettyBoyTim on Tue May 16, 2000 at 12:35:43 PM EST

PrettyBoyTim voted -1 on this story.

I'm not sure there's enough in this to be worth a story. Perhaps a link to a page about the conference at least? Also, I think it would have benefitted from being previewed before it was sent...

Wow, I think I fell asleep during t... (none / 0) (#9)
by flamingcow on Tue May 16, 2000 at 12:42:38 PM EST

flamingcow voted -1 on this story.

Wow, I think I fell asleep during that writeup.

Wow, our first live reporter! :) ... (none / 0) (#1)
by joeyo on Tue May 16, 2000 at 12:55:36 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

Wow, our first live reporter! :) "This is gandalf_grey. Kuro5hin. Amsterdam."

Interesting write up, but I don't s... (none / 0) (#6)
by Rasputin on Tue May 16, 2000 at 01:32:23 PM EST

Rasputin voted 0 on this story.

Interesting write up, but I don't see where the discussion would be.
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

Post some technical details about w... (none / 0) (#8)
by deimos on Tue May 16, 2000 at 01:47:14 PM EST

deimos voted -1 on this story.

Post some technical details about what it going on, rather than the marketing drivel.
irc.kuro5hin.org: Good Monkeys, Great Typewriters.

It's a bit too short, I assume it's... (none / 0) (#10)
by stx23 on Tue May 16, 2000 at 01:58:21 PM EST

stx23 voted 0 on this story.

It's a bit too short, I assume it's a precursor for a bigger article later?
The revolution will not be webcast.

Write it up a bit more thoroughly w... (none / 0) (#4)
by inspire on Tue May 16, 2000 at 02:27:57 PM EST

inspire voted -1 on this story.

Write it up a bit more thoroughly when you get back. Timeliness isnt important in this article, and I'd like to see it fleshed out a bit more before it's posted.
What is the helix?

These are the highlights? I'm glad... (none / 0) (#11)
by robin on Tue May 16, 2000 at 02:35:39 PM EST

robin voted -1 on this story.

These are the highlights? I'm glad I didn't go, if that's all you've managed to glean from it so far. Or have you been spending your time enjoying the other pleasures Amsterdam has to offer..? I mean the Rijksmuseum, obviously
W.A.S.T.E. (do not antagonise the Horn)

More, including links please... (2.00 / 1) (#2)
by Strange Charmed One on Tue May 16, 2000 at 02:42:19 PM EST

Strange Charmed One voted 0 on this story.

More, including links please
Feel the urge to put excessively cute little quotes into your .sig?

JUST SAY NO!

If you or one of your friends is frequently plagued by this tendency, Help IS available- Ask me how.

Uhh... what was his point? Did he... (none / 0) (#5)
by Commienst on Tue May 16, 2000 at 07:12:36 PM EST

Commienst voted -1 on this story.

Uhh... what was his point? Did he even have one?

Choice of law made by the author? (4.00 / 2) (#12)
by PresJPolk on Wed May 17, 2000 at 02:14:47 AM EST

Somehow I doubt the US government will buy the idea that the author of the site shoudl choose the jurisdiction under which a server will be regulated.

Think of what that would imply for (scream!) gambling, or (gasp!) copyright infringement!

Other countries will balk, as well. Think of how huffy Germany gets regarding studies of National Socialism in the 1930s and 40s. Will they buy it, if amazon.de just says "We choose to be bound by US law, not German law, so neener neener."?

More information anyone? (none / 0) (#13)
by TheDude on Wed May 17, 2000 at 05:26:38 AM EST

Gotta agree with those comments above in requesting more detailed information on what exactly's going on at this conference. It's nice to know that there are conferences going on, but since I can't attend this one, I'd like to know about any important issues being discussed there. Anyone feel like posting a more detailed discussion of this conference?

TheDude of Smokedot
Drug Info, Rights, Laws, and Discussion
Visit #smokedot on irc.smokedot.org

Re: More information anyone? (1.00 / 1) (#15)
by DJBongHit on Wed May 17, 2000 at 06:33:08 AM EST

Uhhhh.... wierd. I just posted a comment, and I look down and my roommate posted the comment right after me (and it wasn't there when I started my comment.) Damn, wierd coincidence.

Anyway, this is completely off-topic, feel free to moderate me down.

~DJBongHit

GNU GPL: Free as in herpes.

Amsterdam (none / 0) (#14)
by DJBongHit on Wed May 17, 2000 at 06:29:07 AM EST

Damn, I want to go to Amsterdam. Sounds like the promised land to me, anyway :-)

Just wondering, how many people there speak English? And what's the consumer broadband like there?

~DJBongHit

GNU GPL: Free as in herpes.

Re: Amsterdam (none / 0) (#16)
by heinjan on Wed May 17, 2000 at 08:38:19 PM EST

As a Dutchman myself I can say almost everyone speaks Engish in Amsterdam/Holland. English is almost a second language to everyone in Holland. The education is pretty good. And most of the TV-series are in English, so you learn to listen en speak English when you watch TV.... Hein-Jan

WWW9 Conference - Amsterdam | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)