Borland Kylix Preview

By Dacta in News
Tue May 16, 2000 at 12:02:02 PM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

Borland's Kylix is a Delphi like RAD tool that allows the production of native cross platform GUI applications. Borland is currently doing previews of early version of it. Kylix will be based on the QT toolkit, but Borland are promising that you will be able to use choose to use native GTK widgets.

Well known Delphi expert Dr Bob has written an article with his impressions of a demo of one of the early versions. There is another good article at EXE Online which covers database access.

For all of us Delphi zealots, it looks like a dream come true. Delphi's amazing VCL (the visual component library) has become the CLX, which you can use to write applications that will run on either Windows of Linux.

For those of you who don't like Object Pascal, Kylix will support programming in C++.

Michael Swindell, Director of Product Management - Linux Tools has also said:

We are sensitive to open source licensing issues and are spending great efforts to make sure that Kylix will meet the needs of both open source and proprietary developers to the best of our ability. I'm not promising GPL, but what I am promising is that open source has been an important consideration in the Kylix project from the beginning and will continue to be.

Before you discard this as a meaningless bit of marketing speak, you might like to read the Interbase Public Licence, and remember than Interbase is owned by Borland.

It is going to be interesting to see what impactg this has on the penetration of Linux on the Desktop. I see a lot of Delphi companies very excited about this, so the demand is there.

o Borland
o promising
o article
o EXE Online
o said
o Interbase Public Licence
o Also by Dacta

Borland Kylix Preview | 13 comments (13 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
While I am not particularly interes... (none / 0) (#7)
by Sneakums on Tue May 16, 2000 at 05:35:02 AM EST

Sneakums voted 1 on this story.

While I am not particularly interested in IDEs and RAD tools, having played with VC++, VB and Delphi, I'm sure many other people are. Plus one it is.

RAD will be a boon for linux.... (none / 0) (#1)
by pope nihil on Tue May 16, 2000 at 08:45:36 AM EST

pope nihil voted 1 on this story.

RAD will be a boon for linux.

I voted.

Awesome. I've been interested in t... (none / 0) (#3)
by charsplat on Tue May 16, 2000 at 09:25:32 AM EST

charsplat voted 1 on this story.

Awesome. I've been interested in this for ages. I do "development" in Visual Basic and I'd kill to be able to switch development platform to Linux while still being able to build Win binaries. ( and yes I know any you can do this with say.. fltk and a cross compiler but ... )

More development tools are always a... (none / 0) (#2)
by YellowBook on Tue May 16, 2000 at 10:13:37 AM EST

YellowBook voted 0 on this story.

More development tools are always a good thing, but there are already plenty of cross-platform rapid development tools (e.g. Python). This is probably mostly interesting to Delphi users.

More writeups should be so thorough... (none / 0) (#5)
by leshert on Tue May 16, 2000 at 10:22:49 AM EST

leshert voted 1 on this story.

More writeups should be so thorough.

this reminds me of the oft-lambaste... (none / 0) (#6)
by haiku san on Tue May 16, 2000 at 11:21:34 AM EST

haiku san voted -1 on this story.

this reminds me of the oft-lambasted wonderboy.

If it's anything like C++ Builder f... (3.70 / 3) (#4)
by Rasputin on Tue May 16, 2000 at 11:34:29 AM EST

Rasputin voted 1 on this story.

If it's anything like C++ Builder for Wintendo, this could be a very useful product.

I am more than a little concerned, however, by the ease with which people who have no idea what they're doing can now create bad software for *nix platforms. I still believe software should be developed either by people who have reasonable exeperience or are being mentored by people with experience. Yes this is becoming a problem in open source as well. In the last 3 weeks, I've seen several examples of such all time favorites as "goto" and occasionally worse ;) With a GUI RAD tool the barriers to VB jockeys moving into C/C++ on *nix are dropping quickly and we can expect to see a lot more silliness. Before you say "but bad code cannot survive in an open source world", consider that to the thousands of former VB users, it isn't really bad code. They don't know any better, so they will continue to propagate these horrors until they are finally taught the appropriate ways to abuse the language. If they can be taught at all. I've met more than a couple "developers" who think that 4 years of VB qualifies them as software gurus, and there was absolutely nothing they needed to learn from people like me.
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

Linux desperately needs this... (none / 0) (#8)
by Alhazred on Wed May 17, 2000 at 01:59:38 PM EST

Linux has absolutely desperately needed a good commercial grade RAD tool for years. Delphi is the best one there is, hands down. Linux wins!

Now the real question is going to be how well does Kylix interoperate with long-established Unix tools like GNU Autoconf GNU make, etc. Obviously this isn't going to be exactly a simple tool you can just run with. Its adoption may also be seriously impeded if existing OS projects can't simply pick it up and run with it.

I mean I want to be able to make Apache modules and when I'm done package them up with the existing ones. That means other people are going to have to take my code and compile it with gcc/egcs and use Autoconf with it. Thats something I'd very much like to see addressed by Borland. If they can do that gracefully then Kylix will no doubt dominate the Linux desktop world, and maybe in other areas too.

(after all, once your on Linux, its a small step to Solaris etc...)
That is not dead which may eternal lie And with strange aeons death itself may die.
Apache Modules? Hmmm... (none / 0) (#9)
by torpor on Thu May 18, 2000 at 01:28:47 AM EST

But how will a project to build apache modules benefit from an interactive, Rapid Application Development tool which is primarily *visual* as an environment?

Where Delphi shines is in the area of user interface design and rapid implementation. I fail to see how this is going to be beneficial to a module project, although I'm certainly not trying to be negative - being a long time user of both Delphi *and* Linux, I really look forward to Kylix ...

I'm just not sure of the benefits you think you're going to get from using an interactive/visual tool like Kylix to build projects that cater to the './configure ; make ; make install' way of doing projects such as Apache modules, etc.

j. -- boink! i have no sig!
Re: Apache Modules? Hmmm... (none / 0) (#10)
by Anonymous Hero on Sat May 20, 2000 at 12:51:29 AM EST

Delphi uses RAD to make building ISAPI DLL's quite easy, so I see no reason why it can't do the same for Apache modules. It makes it a snap to attach databases to your web server extensions, so there should be a lot of good things for an Apache developer.

Re: Apache Modules? Hmmm... (none / 0) (#11)
by Alhazred on Tue May 30, 2000 at 05:01:03 PM EST

I guess my main point was that there are litterally 10s of 1000's of gnu autoconf based projects out there, and millions of programmers that have a need to distribute code packaged that way. Any dev system, visual or not, MUST be compatible with autoconf in order to survive in the Linux world of today. Yes, maybe we'll all just end up building RPM's or whatnot for end user distribution someday, but open source projects can't be built on a single proprietary build system, and Linux tool vendors have to understand that.
Re: Linux desperately needs this... (none / 0) (#12)
by Anonymous Hero on Tue Jun 06, 2000 at 11:50:38 PM EST

I am in ** COMPLETE ** agreement. Today Linux, tomorrow the World.

Viva La Kylix (none / 0) (#13)
by Anonymous Hero on Sat Jun 17, 2000 at 01:44:04 AM EST

When the first pre release published of the Kylix i will put my bloody crashing Windoz painbox to the trash bin... And i will never have to be concentrate to foolish MS (Money Safe) techniques. Saying this. Please don't pay attention to MS supporting XML bunk. Please come to Java tent. Please remember that we all people against some idiot yuppies under Open Source umbrella... We can make money in any way. We are clever. Please help the Open Source community to shape a new good future. Meanwhile... Why there is no strong ideas about the new CPU's... And new generation really AI languages. Think about it.... Be inside of you... Be careful :=))

Borland Kylix Preview | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)