MLP: Dog Shoots Cat Dead, and Other Tales

By rusty in News
Wed May 17, 2000 at 10:49:41 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

My "links" file is getting full, so I thought I'd dump some more Mindless Link Propagation on you all. Dog Shoots Cat, Man Gets Pregnant, Robots Self-Assemble, and much more. It's a weird batch. You've been warned. :-)

First and most importantly: for those of you in the NoCal area, don't forget to attend the DMCA protest at Stanford tomorrow! Your free speech will thank you for it.

Nikolai Bezroukov has an essay on Softpanorama considering aspects of the Open Source movement, as typified by Slashdot comments, as a form of Lysenkoism. For the confused, he offers the following definiton of Lysenkoism in the essay:
"So Lysenkoism is not only about intellectual pogrom, destruction of real science by pseudoscence committed in the name of political agendas and more or less openly supported by the ruling party/governmental officials. It is also (and probably more important) a cult-like system of distortions, omissions, and lies that are designed to support faulty or fraudulent research of the selected "politically correct" pseudo-scientists."
Heady stuff. (Disclaimer: I found this because one of my comments is cited in the essay. That fact means very little, really, but feel free to construct conspiracy theories if it makes you happy.)

The folks at Paperveins appear to be behind two of the oddest hoax sites I've seen in a while. POP! The first male pregnancy is about... well, a male pregnancy. I'm pretty sure it's a hoax. ;-) And Genochoice, billed as "the ecommerce site of the future", is a mockup of where genetic engineering might be headed. It purports to allow you to get "genetically scanned", and then design your child. You can even "Upgrade" to get rid of those pesky defects, like Alzheimer's and brown hair. It's really funny for a while, and then suddenly gets *really* creepy.

On a lighter note, The National Enquirer goes "Man Bites Dog" one better with Dog Shoots Cat Dead. Pull qoute of the week:

WHEN an annoying cat started teasing Lumpi the hound, the dog didn't pussyfoot around -- it shot the cat dead!
Note also that "Lumpy" was the name of Chewbacca's son in the Worst Filmed Entertainment of All Time, the Star Wars Christmas Special. Coincidence? Well, yeah, probably.

The toons at Badtech read K5. Check out the strips from the 13th and the 15th. Alright, so there's maybe, just possibly, a chance that their creator and I have been, shall we say, "in contact". Again, theorize conspiratorily at your leisure.

Dep't of Cool: New Scientist has an article about Self-Assembling Robots. Seriously. They genetically breed a design to accomplish a specific task, and then "print" themselves on a thermosplastic 3-D modeler. More info at the project homepage at Brandeis U.

And last, but far from least, the entire text of Neuromancer is now available online, courtesy of Nootrope. Score. If this has been around forever, please chastise me. I hadn't seen it before.

Many thanks to Robot Wisdom for a couple of these links. Others came from people on #kuro5hin.

o Slashdot
o project homepage
o entire text of Neuromancer
o Nootrope
o Robot Wisdom
o #kuro5hin
o Also by rusty

MLP: Dog Shoots Cat Dead, and Other Tales | 26 comments (26 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Badtech needs some spell-checking. ... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by bmetzler on Wed May 17, 2000 at 05:36:55 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

Badtech needs some spell-checking. I've never 'loosed' a game of Quake yet :)

But the K5 screenshot on the Slashdot panel was great!

-Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.
"Neat, post it!"... (1.00 / 1) (#4)
by evro on Wed May 17, 2000 at 06:07:01 PM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

"Neat, post it!"
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

We need a way of letting everyone d... (4.00 / 1) (#5)
by alisdair on Wed May 17, 2000 at 06:30:58 PM EST

alisdair voted 1 on this story.

We need a way of letting everyone do this; I want people to be able to submit a paragraph about an interesting link that doesn't necessarily have discussion value. Then, the top 10 get posted every, um, so often, and we all rejoice as we are relieved from the boredom of revision for critical exams.

Re: We need a way of letting everyone d... (5.00 / 1) (#11)
by rusty on Wed May 17, 2000 at 11:08:52 PM EST

I'm working on something like this. In the meantime, you can always email me. I keep a little link file of weird stuff, and purge when there are enough things.

____
Not the real rusty
/me nervously backs away from any d... (2.00 / 1) (#7)
by feline on Wed May 17, 2000 at 06:34:14 PM EST

feline voted 1 on this story.

/me nervously backs away from any dogs around...
------------------------------------------

'Hello sir, you don't look like someone who satisfies his wife.'

Re: /me nervously backs away from any d... (none / 0) (#12)
by Tr3534 on Wed May 17, 2000 at 11:47:30 PM EST

heh. why don't you just have one of those self-assembling robots mutate into a wall or bodyguard or something? or a decoy, maybe?
Sigmentation Fault: Post Dumped.
MLP, but bundled :)... (2.00 / 1) (#2)
by Inoshiro on Wed May 17, 2000 at 06:56:40 PM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

MLP, but bundled :)

[ イノシロ ]

Is there any question that this one... (1.00 / 1) (#3)
by Strange Charmed One on Wed May 17, 2000 at 09:02:26 PM EST

Strange Charmed One voted 1 on this story.

Is there any question that this one will be posted?
Feel the urge to put excessively cute little quotes into your .sig?

JUST SAY NO!

If you or one of your friends is frequently plagued by this tendency, Help IS available- Ask me how.

I love random link things like this... (2.00 / 1) (#9)
by Frigorific on Wed May 17, 2000 at 10:03:19 PM EST

Frigorific voted 1 on this story.

I love random link things like this :)
Who is John Galt? Rather, who is Vasilios Hoffman?

Love these little link collections.... (none / 0) (#8)
by Aldis Ozols on Wed May 17, 2000 at 10:05:29 PM EST

Aldis Ozols voted 1 on this story.

Love these little link collections. There's always something fascinating enough to keep me from my work. :-)

Some of these links are interesting... (3.00 / 1) (#6)
by madams on Wed May 17, 2000 at 10:38:30 PM EST

madams voted 0 on this story.

Some of these links are interesting. Self-Assembling Robots?! Those little guys are pretty cool, and cute to boot. (+1)

The article about Lysenkoism and it's applications to Slashdot sure raise some interesting points. I'm not much for conspiracy or cult theories, but it does make one wonder. I ignore the comments on Slashdot, and I mainly read it for the sometimes interesting links. The community moderation of K5 should, in theory, protect from this cult mentality, but that doesn't mean that K5 readers tend to have a pro-free software bent. But along the lines of Lysenkoism, would this article get posted if rusty hadn't written it? (-1)

Mark Adams
"But pay no attention to anonymous charges, for they are a bad precedent and are not worthy of our age." - Trajan's reply to Pliny the Younger, 112 A.D.

Re: Some of these links are interesting... (3.00 / 1) (#10)
by rusty on Wed May 17, 2000 at 11:07:35 PM EST

Fair enough point. I've demonstrated my idea of a good MLP session. Next week, why doesn't someone else take a shot at it. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Some of these links are interesting... (none / 0) (#13)
by madams on Wed May 17, 2000 at 11:48:23 PM EST

Well, to be fair, any submission that promotes discussion on K5 gets a +1 from me. The links were interesting, and I want other K5 readers to be able to read them.

I've sometimes given a 0 ("I don't care") rating to a mediocre story, only to see some really interesting discussion in the comments on the moderation page. The story is often worth posting just for the comments and discussion it generates.

Mark Adams

Re: MLP: Dog Shoots Cat Dead, and Other Tales (none / 0) (#14)
by mutende on Thu May 18, 2000 at 12:24:21 AM EST

The National Enquirer goes "Man Bites Dog" one better with Dog Shoots Cat Dead.

Way back in the late eighties I had a program called spew that emulated National Inquirer headlines.  Perhaps it came on a Fred Fish disk, perhaps not.  Anyways, this program also came with the source included ... now, does anyone have a pointer to the source, please?

//Mutende
Unselfish actions pay back better

Here you are (none / 0) (#16)
by pwhysall on Thu May 18, 2000 at 06:41:22 AM EST

You get some very funny links with this search but here's some code to play with.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

/me slaps forehead (none / 0) (#17)
by pwhysall on Thu May 18, 2000 at 06:46:10 AM EST

Duh. Here's the OS/2 version, replete with source code (which compiles nicely).
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown
Re: /me slaps forehead (none / 0) (#19)
by mutende on Thu May 18, 2000 at 09:59:35 AM EST

Here's the OS/2 version, replete with source code (which compiles nicely).

That's the beast.  Thanks a lot for the snappy answer!

//Mutende
Unselfish actions pay back better

All hooked up now (none / 0) (#22)
by pwhysall on Fri May 19, 2000 at 03:54:18 AM EST

I have a little perl program that makes a named pipe where my .signature is and feeds spew headlines to Netscape.

See, I *knew* named pipes were useful :)
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Netscape Mail, BTW. (none / 0) (#23)
by pwhysall on Fri May 19, 2000 at 03:56:08 AM EST

I haven't gotten round to writing my own proxy in Perl which fixes up, among other things, the narrowness of this text box.

However I have some code to start with written by Marlowe of IWETHEY which does this kind of thing.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Lysenkoism (3.00 / 1) (#15)
by mattc on Thu May 18, 2000 at 02:28:42 AM EST

While slashdot is often biased, they are certainly more fair and honest than the majority of media. Anyone can post a reply and unless it is an obvious troll it usually isn't moderated down. The comments attached to a slashdot article are just as important as the article itself (IMO), and as long as people are able to post opposing views I don't see what the problem is.

Of course I like Kuro5hin's system better, where the readers can select which stories are displayed.. much more democratic than slashdot. However, I don't think CmdrTaco and Hemos have evil intentions and are trying to form a cult of personality or anything like that as the author suggests.

I think Nikolai is overreacting. Perhaps a disgruntled Windows user? :-P

Re: Lysenkoism (none / 0) (#25)
by rusty on Fri May 19, 2000 at 10:28:24 PM EST

See my comment above. I agree with you, mostly. But to be fair, he does capture one aspect of the community-- not necessarily w/r/t Rob & Hemos, but in general.

____
Not the real rusty
Neuromancer (4.00 / 1) (#18)
by pacc on Thu May 18, 2000 at 09:21:03 AM EST

Oh, I guess William Gibson must have put it there and decided to leave out the (c) so all of us could read it for free.

Of course it's been around forever - it's just not legal.

Though if you don't wan't to wait for WG to die, and then another 70 years (+ coming future extensions when the companies is faces with releasing stuff for free again) for Neuromancer to show up on Project Gutenberg you could check out lib.ru because the russians seems to have a slack attitude towards copyrights. (Google dates the file back to 1997.)

SoftPanorama & Lysenkoism (none / 0) (#20)
by orabidoo on Thu May 18, 2000 at 10:28:40 AM EST

The guy at SoftPanorama (Nikolai Bezroukov) seems to have a very pointed and opinionated mindset; I've read some of his articles in his "slightly skeptical open source software educational society", and I get the impression that he goes on and on about some odd points, like his strange ideas of "orthodoxy" in file managers and text editors, and generally speaking tries to be so much on top of everything, that he loses sight of the PRACTICAL uses of the software he's talking about, or of the people he's discussing. He seems to make a point of pointing out all kinds of character flaws in people, design flaws in programming languages, and now he paints a vivid picture of the worst side of the free software/open source community, intermixing odd jargon in the middle ("orthodoxy" in programs, "lysenkoism"). I'd say, read with a grain of salt... and let's keep our feet solidly on the ground.

Re: SoftPanorama & Lysenkoism (none / 0) (#24)
by rusty on Fri May 19, 2000 at 10:25:36 PM EST

I'd say that's a pretty solid assessment. Mainly I posted it because I've had it floating around in my bookmarks for a while now, and it's just so... odd.

____
Not the real rusty
Re: SoftPanorama & Lysenkoism (none / 0) (#26)
by mattm on Sun May 21, 2000 at 05:10:28 AM EST

Indeed. The article comes across as, dare I say it, J** K***-like, expounding impenetrable opinions and leaving the reader scrambling to catch up. Bezroukov also seems to have an ever so slight air of the holier-than-thou, too; "education society", my hairy leg. I do not necessarily disagree with Bezroukov's views, but it's fairly obvious that slashdot's biases get pilloried often enough right on slashdot.

Oh, just incidentally ... Nutsy is me (or more precisely a plush toy squirrel who serves as something approaching a mascot for me -- breaks up the monotonous matte-black of the stereo system, y'know); The post quoted is a reply to a comment of mine, in turn posted as a reply to a previous post of his/her/its; when I saw this comment I decided he/she/it was beyond all hope and not worth replying to. One of the most important statements a person can make is silence.

paperveins.org admits the hoax (none / 0) (#21)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu May 18, 2000 at 11:55:48 PM EST

Specifically, http://www.paperveins.org/cafe/virgil_b.html says:

Virgil Wong is the founding artist of the PaperVeins Museum of Art and the creator of this web site. He is best known for his award-winning net art about babies and biotechnology, including GenoChoice: Create Your Own Genetically Healthy Child Online!

His most recent project, MalePregnancy.com (with Artist Lee Mingwei), received a 1999 INVISION New Media Silver Medal and has generated hate mail from such diverse groups as a Christian conservatives in Wyoming to female transvestites in Tokyo. Serious e-mail requests from men "wanting to be the next pregnant man" come in daily.

A fine hoax. I loved it.

-WaldoJ

MLP: Dog Shoots Cat Dead, and Other Tales | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)