Students Take Control of FIDO

By feline in News
Thu May 18, 2000 at 09:09:15 AM EST
Tags: Science (all tags)
Science

JPL is putting together a program to let students from several high schools including some in Alabama, New York, Missouri, Arizona and a few from Denmark control the Field Integrated Design and Operations (FIDO) rover.

The FIDO rover is one of the possible candidates for the next Mars Rover. The FIDO rover weighs about 70 kilograms (about the size of a st. bernard :)) and moves at a snappy tenth of a mile per hour and even has a neato stereo imaging (means it has two eyes) that helps with collision avoidance...

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad
FIDO is also being joined by another rover. K9 is called by JPL a 'scout' rover in that it looks around for interesting rocks to sample before FIDO bothers with them. K9 uses a nifty GUI that helps the controllers control the rover. K9 has a nifty thingie called 'viz' that creates three-dee images (that's how I spell it, deal with it) using stereo cameras like FIDO.

Images of FIDO can be found here. I'd like to applaud the industrial designers (or whatever chicks are on the team) for actually making FIDO a pleasent site to look at. I'm convinced that the Martians shot down the polar lander because it was so horrible looking. (the mock lander they have set-up for FIDO to be released to isn't too bad either :))

o JPL
o here
o Also by feline

Students Take Control of FIDO | 18 comments (18 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Good writeup. Nice to see some scie... (none / 0) (#10)
by Anonymous Zero on Wed May 17, 2000 at 06:27:17 PM EST

Anonymous Zero voted 1 on this story.

Good writeup. Nice to see some science news on K5. Good job feline.

Yay... now if they can just integra... (none / 0) (#2)
by Inoshiro on Wed May 17, 2000 at 06:31:12 PM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

Yay... now if they can just integrate a neural network and teach it to kill spammers on command :-)

[ イノシロ ]

Bleh :( thought it was going to be ... (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by Field Marshall Stack on Wed May 17, 2000 at 07:44:04 PM EST

Field Marshall Stack voted 0 on this story.

Bleh :( thought it was going to be about FIDOnet
Ben Allen, hiway@speakeasy.org
"Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor"
-Peter Tork

I liked this post until I got to th... (none / 0) (#7)
by RobotSlave on Wed May 17, 2000 at 08:05:05 PM EST

RobotSlave voted -1 on this story.

I liked this post until I got to the horribly sexist quip at the end.

Re: I liked this post until I got to th... (none / 0) (#12)
by Skippy on Thu May 18, 2000 at 10:43:10 AM EST

Agreed. That was WAY out of line.
sorry!! (none / 0) (#17)
by feline on Thu May 18, 2000 at 04:29:54 PM EST

I'm so, so sorry. I didn't mean for my statement about FIDO to seem derogitory towards women, and it was definitly not meant that way, at all, merely as a joke.

Either way, I'm really super sorry about that and I shall try to think more carefully next time. :)
------------------------------------------

'Hello sir, you don't look like someone who satisfies his wife.'

Hehe, they should have called the o... (none / 0) (#9)
by Marcin on Thu May 18, 2000 at 12:01:07 AM EST

Marcin voted 1 on this story.

Hehe, they should have called the other rover K5! :)

Sounds pretty cool though.. space exploration rocks. It's a shame they don't do more of it :)
M.

K9 vs. K5 (none / 0) (#16)
by feline on Thu May 18, 2000 at 04:24:01 PM EST

FIDO, K9, get it? [hint: '...(...about the size of a st. bernard...)']
------------------------------------------

'Hello sir, you don't look like someone who satisfies his wife.'

Nice article, but at first I though... (none / 0) (#4)
by End on Thu May 18, 2000 at 12:59:23 AM EST

End voted 1 on this story.

Nice article, but at first I thought/hoped it was about good ol' FIDONET, reknowned in verse and song :-)

-JD

hands up if you read the title and ... (none / 0) (#6)
by sergent on Thu May 18, 2000 at 01:05:30 AM EST

sergent voted 1 on this story.

hands up if you read the title and thought about node addresses and echomail.

Re: hands up if you read the title and ... (none / 0) (#14)
by tzanger on Thu May 18, 2000 at 02:31:38 PM EST

hands up if you read the title and thought about node addresses and echomail.

<cautiously raises hand>

For a minute I thought it was the old dognet... It's been years, but I used ot be either 1:519/something.77 or 1:221/something.77. Wow it's been years since I had a point. That was the best thing at the time... you called up and grabbed your mail, read at leisure and connected again to send it off (and get the next bunch) none of this waiting biz... call at 4am. Hell IIRC you could get files through fido too. And the internet gateway. And ANSI colour... and...

wow... I'm dating myself here. :-)

Re: hands up if you read the title and ... (none / 0) (#18)
by Marcin on Thu May 18, 2000 at 06:18:43 PM EST

hands up if you read the title and thought about node addresses and echomail.

Yeah :) Although I was only about 10-15 when I was using FidoNet so I don't remember any node addresses or anything fancy like that, I just remember using it to read / post in SIGs related to coding and stuff.. ah, those were the days. I think I still have some floppies with BlueBeep (That was the name of that Offline Mail Reader wasn't it??) and some fidonet downloads.

Meeeeeeeemories.. :)
M.

Totally interesting, and entertaini... (none / 0) (#11)
by vtkstef on Thu May 18, 2000 at 01:49:47 AM EST

vtkstef voted 1 on this story.

Totally interesting, and entertaining

Robots are definitely the future of... (none / 0) (#3)
by mattc on Thu May 18, 2000 at 02:47:31 AM EST

mattc voted 1 on this story.

Robots are definitely the future of space exploration. Robots are expendable -- humans are not (at least in today's society). I have a feeling we won't see a human on Mars until we can get robots to build a few apartment buildings and restaurants there first. ;-) Go robots!!

Fix the spelling, and explain how a... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by hattig on Thu May 18, 2000 at 07:43:23 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Fix the spelling, and explain how a box with a solar panel on it is "pleasant looking"

Like anyone will go to Mars before 2050 anyway. Dealing with our own planet is hard enough, and people are realising that. I was hoping for people on Mars by 2020, and a few years ago by 2010, but there are so many issues, both PR and technical.

The Chinese will get there first. They don't seem to mind losing a few people to get somewhere. It happens when you are exploring. People die in accidents. I didn't notice that no-one ever died sailing the seas over the last few centuries exploration. Of course, when it looks like the Chinese are going to get there, then America will try and get there, but this time it will be too late...

Of course, I don't want to be an explorer.

not talking about the solar panels (none / 0) (#15)
by feline on Thu May 18, 2000 at 04:19:10 PM EST

didn't you notice the blue-coloured paint on the support bars? the wheels were pretty nice looking too, all shiny-like.

I guess it's just a matter of oppinion.
------------------------------------------

'Hello sir, you don't look like someone who satisfies his wife.'

I'm pretty sure some PC sensitive g... (none / 0) (#8)
by nictamer on Thu May 18, 2000 at 08:02:56 AM EST

nictamer voted 1 on this story.

I'm pretty sure some PC sensitive guy will comment negatively on the "whatever chick is on the team" ... ;)
Religion is for sheep.

Dr. Who reference? (none / 0) (#13)
by mahlen on Thu May 18, 2000 at 10:44:28 AM EST

Wasn't K9 the name of the little robot dog in Dr. Who oh so many years ago? Has anyone tracked the pop culture references in spacecraft naming? Off the top i can think of Enterprise (the test Space Shuttle used to test the landing properties) and Snoopy (one of the lunar mission modules.

mahlen

He whose face gives no light shall never become a star.
--William Blake, English poet and artist (1757-1827)

Students Take Control of FIDO | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)