Ads, MSNBC.com Headlines to Appear in New ATMs

By evro in News
Wed May 03, 2000 at 01:49:51 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

I suppose it was just a matter of time before this happened. Wired is reporting that Wells Fargo's new line of ATMs display advertisements, news stories from MSNBC.com, and movie trailers. "advertisements and news appear on the screen before customers insert their cards, after they have chosen their transaction type, and after they've finished their business, when they will receive a brand-new, full-color receipt with -- you guessed it -- more advertisements." C|NET also has coverage.

About a year ago, I was convinced that in the future everything would be free. Free long distance, free internet, free computer, free TV, free anything -- in exchange for advertising. I thought this was a pretty reasonable tradeoff. My girlfriend uses NetZero for net access and she likes it (though we slightly hacked it so that it doesn't display ads).

But now I think these intrusions are too much. Okay, ATMs are a convenience and not a necessity. But what am I paying my monthly fee to the bank for? If they are going to force me to see ads, shouldn't they cut their rates? One part of me says "Well, if you don't like it, switch banks." But what happens when every bank does this? I go to the ATM for two reasons, and only two reasons: to get money from my account and to deposit money into my account. ATMs are so successful because they are incredibly convenient -- open 24/7 -- and quick. No idiotic tellers to screw anything up, no small talk; you're in and you're out.

Wells Fargo spokeswoman Mary Rodrigues said ... the money machines' new features cost nothing to customers and don't add time to the average 45 seconds it takes for a transaction.

I find this difficult to believe. Movie trailers playing and it won't add any time to the transaction? According to the article, the machines allow consumers to get more information on advertised products, so it would seem this would add lots of time to each transaction. Do you want to be standing in line behind some guy who decided to "learn more" about why he should switch to MCI for long distance? I don't.

I remember hearing a few months ago that internet ad firms weren't doing too well because advertisers weren't getting too many clickthroughs. This supported my theory that advertising does not work. I know, everybody says "ads don't work on me," but the only times ads have influenced me is when they are for a brand new product that does something completely new that's just great; the ad shows how a product does something much better than all its competitors; or the ad shows some product that I already wanted at a really great price. I am not going to go choose Tide detergent over Fab because they have such wonderful advertisements, I am going to choose Tide over Fab because Tide smells better (note that this is not because Tide says it smells better).

Banner ads are really the first time advertisers have had a way to really measure the effectiveness of an ad. Put an ad up on TV, you can guess by the Nielsen ratings how many people saw it, but you can never be sure. And just because people saw the ad doesn't mean it's effective, they may just forget it completely. But with banner ads you can keep track of how many times the image was loaded, keep track of clickthroughs, even track people's ad habits (*cough* doubleclick *cough*).

I guess this isn't really that relevant to the story, but I think the free-services-for-ad-viewing idea has failed. The banks are going to profit from showing ads on their ATMs and the advertisers and viewers of those ads are going to be the big losers -- unless we get something in return for viewing them, like free checking. Of course, this will never happen because there is no reason for banks to do so.

The article also mentions that the ATMs will eventually have Internet access. While I guess this is nice if you really need to check your hotmail or something, it destroys the notion of convenience for everybody behind you in line.

In closing, I'll leave you with this line from the article: ""There's nothing wrong with advertising, but the problem is that commercialization of our mental environment is getting out of hand," said Kalle Lasn, editor of the online edition of Adbusters."

Hear, hear.

o reporting
o coverage
o Also by evro

Ads, MSNBC.com Headlines to Appear in New ATMs | 46 comments (46 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I agree with thought of having to w... (3.00 / 1) (#2)
by bmetzler on Tue May 02, 2000 at 08:33:34 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

I agree with thought of having to wait longer in line because someone is finding out about a great vacation in Cancun. I don't think it'll waste any more of my time though because I just will click through the ads.

The ads printed on receipts are perfectly acceptable. The grocery stores around here print receipts with ads on the back, and I'm assuming it's the same everywhere. It takes absolutely no more time, and provides many good deals. Today I got an offer for a free Whopper on the back of my receipt. Something like that would pay my atm fees, at least :)

-Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.
Not the only problem (none / 0) (#33)
by krogoth on Wed May 03, 2000 at 09:23:44 AM EST

It might increase the time that it takes, but that's not the only problem: i do NOT want to see ads in another place. If they do this i'll stop using ATMs completely (or at least try).
"If you've never removed your pants and climbed into a tree to swear drunkenly at stuck-up rich kids, I highly recommend it."
:wq
Eh? Document contains no data? Damm... (1.00 / 1) (#6)
by kraant on Tue May 02, 2000 at 08:54:01 PM EST

kraant voted 1 on this story.

Eh? Document contains no data? Dammit I hope I'm not voting twice

Mod this down to 1 please
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

If I see advertisements on an ATM I... (4.00 / 1) (#8)
by your_desired_username on Tue May 02, 2000 at 09:06:23 PM EST

your_desired_username voted 1 on this story.

If I see advertisements on an ATM I use, I will complain loudly, and then I will change banks.

I despise ads. If want to know about a product, I will look for that information. If I want a tool for a purpose, I will search for a tool. These are things ads do not help me with. I particularly dislike misdirected marketing.

Ha, I remember being shocked when m... (3.00 / 1) (#12)
by nicktamm on Tue May 02, 2000 at 09:38:40 PM EST

nicktamm voted 1 on this story.

Ha, I remember being shocked when my ATM offered to sell me stamps.

I'd think that someone could argue that advertising does work for the very reason you mention it doesn't. Would you have tried Fab to dicover that it smells worse than Tide if you hadn't seen ads for Fab? Now, you may not choose to continue using Fab, and like Tide more, but there will be some people who choose Fab over Tide after trying it.
Nick Tamm nick-k5@echorequest.net http://www.nicktamm.org

Nice writeup. ... (5.00 / 2) (#4)
by mattc on Tue May 02, 2000 at 10:00:44 PM EST

mattc voted 1 on this story.

Nice writeup.

I can see a future like Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age where ads are plastered on every single thing in sight, floating in air, flashing, animated, playing sounds, jumping out at you in 3d, etc. Imagine driving down those streets. Ugh.

Personally, I find some ads offensive or annoying, making me purposely decide NOT to buy their product. The net effect of ads on me is definitely negative, although there have been one or two times I clicked on banner ads and found something interesting (although not useful). I think I am a rare exception though, because I see co-workers rushing out to buy the latest fad at Old Navy, then driving in their SUV to Starbucks to drink coffee, while wearing Nike shoes. It is almost like living in an alien society where every citizen takes daily instructions from the TV God. Ah, the suburbs.. :-)

I agree with you that you should not have to watch ads for something you have already payed for. That is just wrong.

Re: Nice writeup.... (2.50 / 2) (#28)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed May 03, 2000 at 05:08:45 AM EST

i totally agree with you about not chooisng certain products. One thing I will never buy is Red Bull. I absoluytely detest those "Red Bull gives you wings" commercials. Ugh.

Re: Nice writeup.... (none / 0) (#44)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu May 04, 2000 at 04:47:17 AM EST

Hello Matt C., my name is also Matt C, eh? eh? ok, so it's not that amusing, still, eh? eh?

Advertising, in general, doesn't work on me. I'm quite sure that it's having less of an effect as the years go on (some would call this cynicism, i'd say it's reached a level of saturation and can't go no further).

I'm not quite sure about the US, but here in New Zealand practically every store has EFTPOS. Every store has the ability to give money to you with no purchase as the terminal connects to a server and removes the money. Each store might have conditions: "sorry we don't give out money", "minimum purchase $2", but most of the time it's no problem getting a hundred dollars.

ATMs here have advertising. Not nearly as snazzy as movie previews or anything interactive; just who the bank sponsors, sometimes who's sponsored this ATM. It doesn't get in the way.

One point though-- if they *replace... (4.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Tue May 02, 2000 at 10:20:47 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

One point though-- if they *replace* the $1.50 or $2.00 transaction charge with these ads, I'm all for them. And if they're doing anything shady like reporting transactions ("anonymously, of course!") to advertisers, well then it's time for the class-action suits to begin.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: One point though-- if they *replace... (none / 0) (#13)
by evro on Wed May 03, 2000 at 02:23:16 AM EST

Yes, definitely. If they take away the transaction charge this could be a source of wonderful PR for the bank -- the only bank with no transaction charge! If they don't do this, it will be lots of bad PR. Of course, it's up to them.

As for tracking through ads, am I the only one who wakes up in a cold sweat with the words "your statistics will only be used in aggregate" running through his mind?
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Re: One point though-- if they *replace... (none / 0) (#18)
by rusty on Wed May 03, 2000 at 02:37:06 AM EST

your statistics will only be used in aggregate

/me shudders.

Damn those #kuro5hin monkeys. Damn them.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: One point though-- if they *replace... (none / 0) (#20)
by skim123 on Wed May 03, 2000 at 03:04:36 AM EST

What? Don't most banks have zero charge if you use their ATM and have an account at their bank?

PT Barnum

Woe be to the freaks who decide to ... (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by Pelorat on Tue May 02, 2000 at 10:56:46 PM EST

Pelorat voted 1 on this story.

Woe be to the freaks who decide to watch those movie trailers instead of getting their asses in gear and finishing their transactions. This is not unlike the braille-enhanced ATMs that were in the news a few years back (there's one in my hometown, I'm so ashamed...): both are a dumb, ignorant concept. Hmm. Which should I visit, the Coke ATM, or the Pepsi ATM? I can't decide!!

Ads work on everyone. They may not... (4.00 / 1) (#11)
by Commienst on Tue May 02, 2000 at 11:11:04 PM EST

Commienst voted 1 on this story.

Ads work on everyone. They may not make someone buy said product over another but they do help people know a certain product or company is "alive".

Re: Ads work on everyone. They may not... (none / 0) (#19)
by mattm on Wed May 03, 2000 at 02:54:02 AM EST

I don't know. When I see or hear a heavy ad blitz for a company that's been around for a long while with little or no advertising, my gut reaction is that the company must be near-death and desperate for business, not alive (or at least, not vibrantly alive). Like the recent Burger King ads which whine about everything being "Jeeust neeahnty-neeahn ceeyents!!". But then, maybe I'm the only one who took the most cynical possible viewpoint to their blatantly bosting about how their "Big King" and disgustingly revamped fries are like the McD's equivalent, only better. Bah, humbug.

Re: Ads work on everyone. They may not... (none / 0) (#22)
by Commienst on Wed May 03, 2000 at 03:25:35 AM EST

Your nuts the Burger Fries are fucking delicious. When the Chicken Sandwhich was $.99 at Burger King I ate 2 ever day, it too is fucking delicious. Do not tell me you like McDonald's those overpriced bastards $3.99 for a Big Mac (it is tiny btw)! Hey I am 18 here try to live on $170 a week (well my mom provides food and shelter for free) I can not afford to spend money on McDonalds and other over priced restaurants all the time.

Re: Ads work on everyone. They may not... (none / 0) (#23)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed May 03, 2000 at 03:46:05 AM EST

uh... you just said you mom provides food for free... so why do you have to buy anything at all? 170 a week is a lot if your rent is paid and mom's making food for you. What expenses do you have? Car insurance, gas? what else? I personally think McDonalds... well, everything of theirs kicks everything of BK's ass. Their horrible fries are... horrible. I remember when they rolled them out and were giving away their "new, more delicious fries" for free... I had 4 little bags of them and couldn't bring myself to eat the 3rd or 4th, even for free. they are so bad. The Mcdonalds crispy chicken will kick BK's and YOUR ass all over. Step off! And quit eating junkfood, fatass!

Re: Ads work on everyone. They may not... (none / 0) (#30)
by pretzelgod on Wed May 03, 2000 at 07:43:42 AM EST

<cite>And quit eating junkfood, fatass!</cite>

Look who's talking! Meat is junk food. Not to mention a waste of food. Did you forget what you learned in biology class, that each level of predation yields less food? We should be going directly for the plants, not livestock. A third of the world's grain is wasted on cattle alone.

And i don't want to hear any whining about there not being any good vegan food. Most of the things i eat are better than what i ate before i made the change. The only people who i can imagine having trouble switching to vegetarianism are peole who eat the way my dad does--a slab of plain meat with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy, and some corn or something. Of course, i don't like such plain food to begin with. As long as you like Chinese, Italian, and Mexican food, you'll love being vegetarian.

Okay, i'm done ranting now :)

Ever heard of the School of the Americas?

Re: Ads work on everyone. They may not... (none / 0) (#31)
by pretzelgod on Wed May 03, 2000 at 07:48:35 AM EST

<cite>And quit eating junkfood, fatass!</cite>

Yes, i'm an idiot :). One day i'll learn the difference between those two P-word buttons...

Why isn't the cite tag allowed anyway?

Ever heard of the School of the Americas?

Re: Ads work on everyone. They may not... (none / 0) (#34)
by rusty on Wed May 03, 2000 at 10:24:40 AM EST

<I>Why isn't the cite tag allowed anyway?</I><P>
Honestly, because I wasn't aware of it's existence. What is it supposed to do?

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Ads work on everyone. They may not... (none / 0) (#35)
by rusty on Wed May 03, 2000 at 10:26:16 AM EST

Ach! Hoist on my own petard!! :-)

I forgot I was set to "plain text" mode. Dammit. On comments like that, I frequently don't preview, because it's easy to read and see that I haven't misspelled anything. Maybe I need to stop that habit before it starts. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

[OT] cite tag (none / 0) (#38)
by pretzelgod on Wed May 03, 2000 at 11:27:19 AM EST

It indicates that the text is quoted from another source. It's up to the browser how to display it, but all GUI browsers i've seen display it as italics. You're not actually supposed to use <b>, <i>, etc., which describe appearance. You're supposed to describe the content, using <strong>, <cite> etc.

Ever heard of the School of the Americas?

Re: Ads work on everyone. They may not... (none / 0) (#32)
by Commienst on Wed May 03, 2000 at 07:58:19 AM EST

Man... my mom will not buy me fast food whenever I want it. Burger King chicken sandwhich is the best its all juicy and tasty unlike McDonalds dry crap. I will take flame broiled everyday over the microwave crap. You can really taste the difference between flame broiled and microwave just like the commercial says (lame attempt to get back on topic).

I hope you were trying(extra stress on the trying cause it was not even close to humorous) to be funny and not actually verbally attacking anyone over fast food preference cause that would just be sad.

First off, very good write-up. ... (2.00 / 1) (#7)
by skim123 on Tue May 02, 2000 at 11:36:56 PM EST

skim123 voted 1 on this story.

First off, very good write-up. However, I think your statement:

This supported my theory that advertising does not work

is rediculously false. Why would companies around the world spend trillions of dollars on advertising if it didn't work!? Advertising does work; while you may not think back to a specific ad to make a choice over two known brands, you do choose the brands you've heard of. For example, if you went to a store to get detergent and you say a bottle of Tide and a bottle of Mr. Shine-O's Happy Clothes Detergent, you would buy the Tide, even if it cost more, since Tide has brand recognition. Tide == detergent. No brand can expect to survive without advertising, hence advertising is vital.

Building a brand is essential for a product to survive. Advertising helps build that brand. (For a good discussion on brand building, pick up a copy of The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding.)

PT Barnum

Re: First off, very good write-up. ... (none / 0) (#14)
by evro on Wed May 03, 2000 at 02:29:48 AM EST

Yes, this was the one huge error I knew I was making as I was making it. I wanted to say that the reason I choose Tide is because I know it is a respected brand, but I figured that would make the rest of my points look dumb. But really, I do like it because of the smell.

Building brand awareness is incredibly important, and in that regard I'll admit that it is quite effective. Why else would anybody buy Evian® bottled spring water for $1.89 a gallon when A&P Generic Bottled water is $.69 a gallon? Why do I have an uncontrollable urge to buy Nikes and not Kmart shoes? (this one is due to quality really, I have found that Nikes tend to last far longer than other brands of shoe, though I don't know if their durability is proportional to their price)

But yes, thank you for bringing up this point. Ads do serve a purpose and are successful in that -- that's why Amazon.com is known everywhere, even by my mother, though she doesn't know what it is.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Re: First off, very good write-up.... (none / 0) (#21)
by skim123 on Wed May 03, 2000 at 03:07:59 AM EST

AHHH! They've brainwashed you! That's what their ads have led you to believe! :-)

On a slightly related note, I saw an interesting piece on Michael Jordan a while back, and one of the guys talking said he made Nike what it is today. He was kind of baffled and amazed at what effect Jordan's celebrity had on Nike - here is a fucking huge company, known around the world, and all it does is sell tennis shoes! Amazing.

PT Barnum

Re: First off, very good write-up.... (none / 0) (#15)
by pretzelgod on Wed May 03, 2000 at 02:30:11 AM EST

I always give the generic product a try first. Usually, it's just as good. Off the top of my head, food is the only thing where i ever buy name brands, and even then it's not very often. And i'm not alone. If i were, there wouldn't be any generic brands.

Ever heard of the School of the Americas?

Oh great. In the future we will be ... (5.00 / 1) (#10)
by End on Tue May 02, 2000 at 11:54:15 PM EST

End voted 0 on this story.

Oh great. In the future we will be having an uproar when Disney pulls ABC channels off the ATMs.

-JD

I think the notion that ads are bec... (2.00 / 1) (#9)
by HiRes on Wed May 03, 2000 at 12:07:29 AM EST

HiRes voted 1 on this story.

I think the notion that ads are becoming more intrusive and/or ubiquitous is fallacious. What about the supposed golden ages of TV and radio, when an entire program would be sponsored by the New Cadillac Dreadnought or Rich, Nutritous Ovaltine? Haven't the walls of MLB outfields been plastered with ads since before the turn of the (previous) century?

People have been trying to sell us stuff for a long time, and will continue to do so. I think it's a small price to pay for the privilege of living in a k3wl capitalist society.

Now what would really be nice is if they didn't charge me three-fscking-fifty to use someone else's ATM...
wcb
wait! before you rate, read.

Re: I think the notion that ads are bec... (none / 0) (#16)
by evro on Wed May 03, 2000 at 02:34:35 AM EST

While it is true that corporate sponsorship is nothing new, I think the extent to which advertising has invaded our conciousness is alarming, to say the least. Ovaltine sponsoring Seinfeld is one thing; Vitamins.com ads on the back of buses, in subways, invading your subconcious -- that's quite another.

I'm willing to "pay the price" to live in a capitalist society, but I don't think we have to surrender our conciousness to advertising firms at every turn. Is nothing sacred? Do you feel nothing should be sacred?
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Re: I think the notion that ads are bec... (none / 0) (#37)
by slycer on Wed May 03, 2000 at 11:00:02 AM EST

Hmm, the back/interior of a bus/subway are not sacred to me. Let them be plastered with ads. I don't look at them, I don't read them, same way I ignore banner ads. Are they invading my subconcious? I doubt it, otherwise I'd be out buying ovaltine for no reason at all. I read a book on the bus/subway, and I read the content of a webpage, not look at the ads.

OTOH, I think that these "interactive ads" on ATM machines are a Bad Thing, it takes long enough to grab money now, let alone waiting for someone to finish getting more information about Joe Blow's Tractor repair service.

Tech and culture? Whodathunkit? Tha... (5.00 / 1) (#3)
by Demona on Wed May 03, 2000 at 01:39:22 AM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

Tech and culture? Whodathunkit? Thanks for a decent writeup, ev.

I think there'll be a massive shakeout. Right now too many Internet services are advertising themselves as "free", but we all know there ain't no such animal -- there is always a cost to someone, in some form. In the cases of webhosting services, one's "free" webpages are subject to being graffitoed with all manner of banners -- which the terms of service prohibit one's "getting around". Answer? Pay for the service, or find a gratis one that doesn't impose undue burdens or restrictions -- they do exist few and far between, and depending on one's circumstances (student, free software developer, goth) you can probably find a hosting service that caters to your niche community. Gratis e-mail accounts are another one; it's almost impossible these days NOT to have an email address of some kind, what with all these yahoos (groan) literally popping out of the woodwork.

These are perks and not necessities of life, however. And as advertising grows more pervasive, it will certainly become harder to avoid. This is another thing that gives capitalism a bad name, and rightfully so: The corporate/fascist mindset that says, "Oh sure, you have choices! Country AND Western! Tweedledee AND Tweedledum!" And when anyone expresses a choice of "None of the above", their widdle feewings are hurt. And sometimes, they actually get bitchy...

About that Double Post (1.00 / 2) (#17)
by 18buddhas on Wed May 03, 2000 at 02:34:54 AM EST

my bad, i didn't mean to double post

other obnoxious ATM stuff (4.00 / 1) (#24)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed May 03, 2000 at 03:46:21 AM EST

They already hold your transaction hostage to force you to answer questions:

"Do you want to buy extra insurance? y/n"
"Do you want to buy overdraft protection? y/n"
"Do you want to sign up for on-line banking? y/n"

I may actually be interested in some of these things, but when I go to an ATM, I want my money, not a pop quiz. The ATM doesn't let you do anything until you answer their stupid questions. I don't need this BS from my bank; I'm considering taking my business elsewhere.

Re: other obnoxious ATM stuff (none / 0) (#25)
by rusty on Wed May 03, 2000 at 03:55:01 AM EST

Really? Ugh. Get a different bank. I've never had an ATM do that to me. I suppose it's only a matter of time though. :-/

____
Not the real rusty
Language Select... (none / 0) (#29)
by Pelorat on Wed May 03, 2000 at 07:28:02 AM EST

One of Wachovia's slogans runs along the lines of, "We dont treat you like a faceless entity, we know who you are."

OK, then why do I have to tell the machine that I want to conduct the transaction in English *every damn time*? That kind of info could easily be put on the card...

So far, they haven't responded. Time to send it the complaint again, I guess.

Re: Language Select... (none / 0) (#36)
by evro on Wed May 03, 2000 at 10:56:46 AM EST

Ha, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought of this!
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Rant 0x01 (4.50 / 4) (#26)
by TomG on Wed May 03, 2000 at 03:56:16 AM EST

I hate advertisements. If I want a product, I will pick up a physical directory, or search a web directory, or ask a friend how to get what I want. The only point in advertising is to convince people they want things that they do not. This is a very bad thing.

I like knowing what I want. I like make decisions based on evidence and experience of myself and those I respect to decide what I want. I do not respect any company to give me honest opinions. Do not ask a barber if you need a hair cut.

There are advertisements everywhere. They are on T.V.. They are on busses. They are in busses. They are on bus stop benches. They are on cars on trucks. They are on sides of buildings. They are on billboards. They fill half of magazines. They fill half of newspapers. They sit on top and bottom and sides of web pages. They sit undismissable on your screen using some kind of internet access. They are on the radio. They are on people's clothes. They are on people's bags. They are on refrigerator magnets. They are on mousepads. They are on AOL's instant messenging client. They are on the gates that let people out of parking garages. They are in your snail mail. They are in your e-mail. They are at the bottom of hotmail and yahoo mail messages. Yeachh!

Many occasions, advertising is the price you pay for accepting a service. You watch television. You get a show, they get to bombard you with messages. It's an exchange, a trade, it's a form of commerce.

The real problem is when you aren't getting anything in return. I should be allowed to go for a walk, outside, in my country, without being hit with advertising from land, sea, and air. I am not gaining anything. The advertiser did not pay for the sidewalk I am using, the government did. As far as I'm concerned, they have no right to advertise to me.

Even worse. People seem to accept that advertisements come with things. People PAY for services, and then accept the ads for it, and then not care!

What the real danger is. It's brainwashing. You cannot live and escape advertising. It is a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to accept one single idea. The idea is not "Buy my product". The idea is not "Buy our service". The idea is "do as we say". Six thousand messages a day all having the common theme of "give us what we want".

No one can stand up to this. Everyone buys things they don't really need, everyone watches advertising they could just change the channel for. It's very sad.

Screw them.

Screw the banks, who give you the privelidge of allowing them to borrow your money.

Screw television, who advertises to you during commercials, during shows, and between both.

Screw netzero, who lets you talk to the internet in exchange for a portion of your mind and identity.

Sensing angst yet?

Screw every last corporation that does not treat you with the respect you deserve. And yes, that's pretty much all of them.

Don't use banks. Use cash, you are in control.

Don't watch T.V., it's 99.99% crap, read a book.

Don't use netzero, pay for honest to goodness internet access, or use none at all.

Have respect for yourself. Don't buy products that have advertising that insults your self worth. Buying a case of beer does not make scantily clad girls appear at your door.

MAKE the money sucking corporations only advertise when you want them to.

Re: Rant 0x01 (none / 0) (#41)
by xah on Wed May 03, 2000 at 02:16:48 PM EST

Nice comment. I agree. The disaster of our society is the commodification of everything. Advertising is just a component piece of the grand master plan of corporate domination. Who does it benefit? A select few. You might see some of them in an airplane before they pull the curtain to sheid their privacy from the unwashed masses in the back. Down with the elite.

BTW, Ayn Rand's pseudophilosophy can go straight to here.

For each advertisement (3.00 / 1) (#27)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed May 03, 2000 at 04:14:28 AM EST

$1.00 - for witty advertisements
$5.00 - for stupid advertisements
$15.00 - for indifferent advertisements

I decide which one is which. Invoice will be sent to the bank.

Why they're doing it (3.70 / 3) (#39)
by FFFish on Wed May 03, 2000 at 12:33:54 PM EST

Obviously, for the money. But also because they don't want you using the ATM. ATMs are too expensive: the machines cost a bundle to purchase and install, to maintain, to stock with twenties, to keep the area clean, to build the kiosk or modify the building.

They want you to start using transaction cards. To pay for purchases using your ATM card at the store till. To request an extra twenty from the till. To move all the costs to the store owner.

Certainly this is happening in Canada: you're hard pressed to find a store that doesn't support point-of-sale "cash card" use. It's becoming as ubiquitous as VISA.

With deposit-to-account, telephone/Internet banking and POS ATMs, the banks are rapidly moving toward ridding themselves of physical properties.

In fact, I bank with a virtual bank. www.citizensbank.ca. They have no public physical plant presence. They're also no-fee, high-interest, ethical-fund-oriented, etcetera. It's the way of the future.

Money is conceptual, not concrete. It doesn't bank buildings, tellers or ATMs...

Re: Why they're doing it (none / 0) (#42)
by Dr.Dubious DDQ on Wed May 03, 2000 at 03:40:05 PM EST

>But also because they don't want you using the ATM. Oooo. I hate to admit it, but that hadn't even occurred to me. It's a sad day indeed when they replace actual tellers with cheaper to maintain (aren't they?) machines...and decide they STILL don't like investing even that much money to keep up their customer service. I used to have, years ago, an account with Wells Fargo. I got really tired of them raking in money off of me on mystery fees, on "you used someone else's atm" fees, and so on, so I switched banks. I think this story only confirms my impression that Wells Fargo (and presumably similarly huge banks like "Bank of America") are no longer so much "companies" as they are "Machines for mining money" from their "ore" of customers.
"Given the pace of technology, I propose we leave math to the machines and go play outside." -- Calvin
Money is also anonymous (none / 0) (#45)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu May 04, 2000 at 08:42:49 AM EST

Money is also anonymous or at least it used to be. Banks have an economic incentive to promote electronic transaction. Governments have a political incentive to promote it. Unless electronic transactions becomes as anonymous as cash, I'd stay away on principle alone.

let's apply an old principle here: good government (none / 0) (#40)
by xah on Wed May 03, 2000 at 01:55:38 PM EST

I am so down on ATM's already, this is only going to make me more angry about the relentless megaprofits the huge banking corporations make. I do not really enjoy pop culture. I don't like most of the popular movies. But now, in order to get cash, I'll have to watch some "trailer." Or have thrust into my hands an obnoxious handbill for half off on McDonaldland cookies or whatever. How completely annoying. It's just another example of the commercialization of everything.

There was talk a few years ago of Nike and other companies sending into orbit giant light fabric "logos" that could be seen with the naked eye from various spots around the globe. I urge the capitalist class to read PS Shelley's Ozymandias for an example of where they're headed.

I think this calls for the old principle of "good government." If they want to advertise at locations that are essentially public, they should contribute half of all ATM fees to charity, public parks, and Third World debt relief.

That would simply... (none / 0) (#46)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu May 04, 2000 at 08:49:35 AM EST

... double ATM fees.

Re: Ads, MSNBC.com Headlines to Appear in New ATMs (4.00 / 1) (#43)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed May 03, 2000 at 07:42:24 PM EST

If you have an opportunity to use the services of a non-profit credit union, my advice to you is to take advantage of it. They don't screw you like banks do. When I first signed onto my credit union, I asked if they release my information to other sources. They claimed that they never release or sell customer infomation, and I have yet to receive any junk mail that might have originated from a list provided by my credit union.

Ads, MSNBC.com Headlines to Appear in New ATMs | 46 comments (46 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)