Badtech: Official K5 Comic?

By rusty in News
Sun May 21, 2000 at 05:22:49 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

James Sharman, the creator of the daily online comic Badtech, is a regular K5 reader, and has asked me if we'd like to syndicate Badtech here on Kuro5hin, because, in his words, "I haven't offered this to anyone but I have a feeling your site is the right one for such an aliance."

As usual, I defer to your decisions in matters of content, so consider this meta-story moderation. The questions at hand are:

1. Do you think we should carry Badtech daily?
  2. If so, what format would you like to see it appear in?
Update [2000-5-23 16:59:54 by rusty]: You have spoken, and you have mostly said no. I appreciate everyone who took the time to make their opinion known. Once again, you have saved me from having to make a decision. :-)

I also appreciate all your ideas about syndication, and I remain interested in the question of when or if syndication (beyond RDF titles) is appropriate. But Badtech has been vetoed. Thanks for your comments.

If we were to carry Badtech, it wouldn't make sense to vote on every individual comic. It also wouldn't make sense to have it appear on the front page as it's own story every day. So I imagine having it as a link to either a permanent story which imports the graphic fresh every day, or as a series of stories that update daily, but don't show up on the main page.

"Why not just link to badtech.com?", you might ask. I'd say so too, except that it could be fun to have a built-in discussion area for each strip. So it's up to you. Yea? Nay? The decision is in your hands.

o Kuro5hin
o Badtech
o Also by rusty

Badtech: Official K5 Comic? | 58 comments (58 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
It would be nice if it were like po... (none / 0) (#2)
by QueenFrag on Sat May 20, 2000 at 06:18:41 PM EST

QueenFrag voted 1 on this story.

It would be nice if it were like polls on TOS, so that there would be a story thread that clears on every update.
--- Sponsored by: Tulip Eyeglasses Shop

I don't see a problem with k5 hosti... (none / 0) (#5)
by fvw on Sat May 20, 2000 at 07:12:51 PM EST

fvw voted 1 on this story.

I don't see a problem with k5 hosting it/providing discussion forum for it, or giving a link to it on the frontpage. But I really don't think there's any sense in making the combination... So a 'Thanks, but no thanks' vote from me..

Hmm. On the one hand, at some prima... (none / 0) (#12)
by analog on Sat May 20, 2000 at 07:20:40 PM EST

analog voted 1 on this story.

Hmm. On the one hand, at some primal level I probably don't want to think too much about, I really like the idea of K5 having "our very own comic strip!". OTOH, I'm not sure it's appropriate for the site; 'course, that assumes that the purpose/intent/direction of the site is written in stone, which I tend to assume isn't true.

On the gripping hand, it's certainly a worthy topic of discussion, so +1 it is, and hopefully it'll all come out in the wash.

Too bad it's just a UF clone, inclu... (none / 0) (#29)
by farlukar on Sat May 20, 2000 at 07:31:58 PM EST

farlukar voted 1 on this story.

Too bad it's just a UF clone, including cut-and-paste graphics and 1-large-pic-on-sundays.
A comic on K5 would be nice, but I went through a couple of weeks of BadTech, and none of the comics I saw could produce a vague hint of a smile on my face.

<P.C. MODE>No offence, it's just my opinion, m'kay?</P.C. MODE>
______________________
$ make install not war

I say yes, post this story, and no,... (none / 0) (#21)
by End on Sat May 20, 2000 at 08:01:49 PM EST

End voted 1 on this story.

I say yes, post this story, and no, don't link up with badtech. Why not, you ask? Well I ask, why? Is there anything appealing or original in that comic? I'm not flaming anyone here, it's just that I find badtech insufficiently funny and I don't think 3D rendering and cartoons mix well.

-JD

I like the series that updates dail... (none / 0) (#23)
by cthulhu on Sat May 20, 2000 at 08:03:05 PM EST

cthulhu voted 1 on this story.

I like the series that updates daily.

If we are going to do running discu... (none / 0) (#1)
by joeyo on Sat May 20, 2000 at 08:08:17 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

If we are going to do running discussion then we need to have a fresh discussion page every day (or every new comic at least). I vote for the series of stories which update daily.

It also would be cool if we could (as an option) display the daily comic somewhere on the main page. A la Ye Olde Rusty Cam.

MLP (none / 0) (#36)
by joeyo on Sun May 21, 2000 at 05:58:31 PM EST

Excuse me while I use this opportunity for some MLP: Here is one of the few webcomix which I do like and read fairly regularly- Dr Fun. (Some of these go back since before I was using the Internet)!

Lets discuss this..... (none / 0) (#24)
by bgp4 on Sat May 20, 2000 at 09:06:14 PM EST

bgp4 voted 1 on this story.

Lets discuss this..
May all your salads be eaten out of black hats

I think Badtech is hillarious, myse... (3.00 / 2) (#35)
by Reed on Sat May 20, 2000 at 09:41:09 PM EST

Reed voted 1 on this story.

I think Badtech is hillarious, myself. If it were to go on Kuro5hin on the front page, I think you'd have to have some sort of perminent link to a page, with fresh comments each day (and the new imported graphic), though it would also be nice to have links to historic comics and their related comments available with a little fishing.

I don't think a permanent story with fresh graphics would work, as the comments over time would be both confusing (reading a comment about a graphic that is no longer there doesn't make sense) and overwhelming.

keep k5 completely independent. the... (5.00 / 1) (#30)
by haiku san on Sat May 20, 2000 at 09:46:09 PM EST

haiku san voted -1 on this story.

keep k5 completely independent. the fewer the ties the better. and what's an 'aliance'?

Okay, here is my suggestion. Add a... (none / 0) (#4)
by bmetzler on Sat May 20, 2000 at 10:26:41 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

Okay, here is my suggestion. Add a link to the story only from the "Attention, People of Earth" section. Maybe at the bottom or something. Then that will go to a page displaying that days comments. That way it'll always be there, but won't be voted on, and won't need to continually be repopping up in the story list.
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

Not really ... If I want to read th... (none / 0) (#16)
by worth on Sat May 20, 2000 at 10:53:17 PM EST

worth voted 0 on this story.

Not really ... If I want to read the comic strip I can just go there--there won't be much discussion about a comic strip. On the other hand, I wouldnt mind this colaboration--if both K5 and Badtec h benefit from it, then go right ahead.

1) no. ... (none / 0) (#19)
by inspire on Sat May 20, 2000 at 11:38:40 PM EST

inspire voted -1 on this story.

1) no.
2) irrelevant.

What is the helix?

Ixnay. Just didn't think it was fun... (none / 0) (#8)
by Skippy on Sun May 21, 2000 at 12:05:33 AM EST

Skippy voted -1 on this story.

Ixnay. Just didn't think it was funny.

I presume 'meta-story' moderation m... (none / 0) (#22)
by sergent on Sun May 21, 2000 at 12:52:10 AM EST

sergent voted -1 on this story.

I presume 'meta-story' moderation means that if this story gets posted, so do the strips, so I'm voting -1. I don't like the comic strip very well.

User Friendly just did the whole 'd... (none / 0) (#28)
by Marcin on Sun May 21, 2000 at 12:58:15 AM EST

Marcin voted 1 on this story.

User Friendly just did the whole 'discussion for each strip' thing but the way they've done it annoys me. It loads the discussion for the strip with the strip itself, which means it takes a bit longer to load a strip. If you're doing the discussion thing then make it a link to a seperate discussion page.

As for how to present it, hm.. dunno :) The idea of having a permanent page that 'syndicates' the content everyday with a link to a discussion thread sounds alright.

With the discussion, what might be a good idea is a thread that's basically just a Badtech thread with a fairly short message life (say 1 week?) and so you're not looking at a different thread for each strip, but rather just one 'discussion' area.

The disadvantage is you can't see what people said about an old comic, but you're not going to be hosting old strips are you? I'd assume the archives would still be at Badtech itself??

Eh, just some ramblings :)
M.

Interesting idea. My first reaction... (none / 0) (#14)
by Ozymandias on Sun May 21, 2000 at 01:14:13 AM EST

Ozymandias voted 1 on this story.

Interesting idea. My first reaction is that it's not right for the site; not necessarily the comic strip itself, but the idea of a daily strip on Kuro5hin. But it would be an interesting experiment to have a daily discussion forum for each strip.

I'd do it this way; a link on the front page to the comic strip section; each day is a new discussion in that section. The old discussions are archived, and after, say, three days, no more comments can be added. Or, you could leave the discussions open; I don't imagine heavy traffic would last more than a few days per strip, anyway.
- Ozymandias

As long as it's not specifically on... (none / 0) (#27)
by Rasputin on Sun May 21, 2000 at 01:18:39 AM EST

Rasputin voted 0 on this story.

As long as it's not specifically on the front page, why not? It's not really my kind of comic, but it could very well be the kind of comic the majority here like. For those of us who would read it occassionally at best, a link or seperate discussion area would suffice. This assumes the comics could generate discussion, and I honestly haven't read enough to comment on that.
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

As long as they're funny -- I don't... (none / 0) (#33)
by jmcneill on Sun May 21, 2000 at 01:30:36 AM EST

jmcneill voted 1 on this story.

As long as they're funny -- I don't like comics when I don't get the joke or when the joke is just not funny.
``Of course it runs NetBSD.''

The comics just aren't that funny. ... (5.00 / 1) (#13)
by Velian on Sun May 21, 2000 at 02:08:51 AM EST

Velian voted 0 on this story.

The comics just aren't that funny. =( They're VERY cool, however.

Personally, I don't find BadTech to... (none / 0) (#25)
by Greyjack on Sun May 21, 2000 at 02:25:30 AM EST

Greyjack voted -1 on this story.

Personally, I don't find BadTech to be funny, and the dialogue could use an editing pass (from the few that I've read). But most of all, those orange-and-green striped walls in his 'toons. If they start showing up prominently around here, ugh.

Here is my philosophy: Everything changes (the word "everything" has just changed as the word "change" has: it now means "no change") --Ron Padgett

"I haven't offered this to anyone b... (none / 0) (#6)
by Perpetual Newbie on Sun May 21, 2000 at 02:33:23 AM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted 1 on this story.

"I haven't offered this to anyone but I have a feeling your site is the right one for such an aliance." Ah ha, he might be promising an alliance now, but in twenty turns he'll be sending his Vast Horde over your undefended border while you've been concentrating resources towards tech instead of units!

Badtech is one of the strips I read daily, and they've sure plugged k5 enough. You got it well planned out, I like the idea of a link on the side that goes to a daily-updating strip+discussion area.

Badtech can be really funny. I wou... (none / 0) (#32)
by Lupei on Sun May 21, 2000 at 02:40:02 AM EST

Lupei voted 1 on this story.

Badtech can be really funny. I wouldn't mind it having it's own link off the front page. It would need to have a discussion per strip tho, and not just one discussion area that covers all strips. The link on the front page should always go to that days strip.

It's a good thing the comic's only ... (2.33 / 3) (#11)
by bobsquatch on Sun May 21, 2000 at 03:58:28 AM EST

bobsquatch voted 1 on this story.

It's a good thing the comic's only been around for two months -- I could read it all. Unfortunately, I only found one or two strips with jokes that hadn't been done (better) in User Friendly. If this becomes K5's official comic, I hope it goes someplace where I can easily ignore it.

I can find these things on my own, ... (none / 0) (#20)
by dieman on Sun May 21, 2000 at 04:10:50 AM EST

dieman voted -1 on this story.

I can find these things on my own, thank you.
blah

Sure, badtech could be carried in s... (none / 0) (#31)
by feline on Sun May 21, 2000 at 05:07:20 AM EST

feline voted 1 on this story.

Sure, badtech could be carried in some form or another on kuro5hin. Perhaps, you could do something like the 'radio' area on slashdot.
------------------------------------------

'Hello sir, you don't look like someone who satisfies his wife.'

Yes - I think the series of stories... (5.00 / 1) (#10)
by Dacta on Sun May 21, 2000 at 06:56:20 AM EST

Dacta voted 1 on this story.

Yes - I think the series of stories, with a link on the main page to the series.

Hadn't heard of Badtech, but I thin... (none / 0) (#26)
by jackyb on Sun May 21, 2000 at 08:01:55 AM EST

jackyb voted 1 on this story.

Hadn't heard of Badtech, but I think this is a fantastic idea. Have it appear as a link on the front page (on the right) to a discussion area. Each cartoon spawns its own discussion.

It just doesn't fit with the theme ... (none / 0) (#7)
by Pelorat on Sun May 21, 2000 at 08:26:51 AM EST

Pelorat voted 1 on this story.

It just doesn't fit with the theme of this site. If I saw a daily comic on a [mostly] serious discussion board like this, I'd promptly think the only reason it was there would be to gather some extra hits for the comic site. No, I'm not bashing on BadTech, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't belong here, is all.

Re: It just doesn't fit with the theme ... (agreem (none / 0) (#41)
by bgp4 on Sun May 21, 2000 at 07:36:47 PM EST

Just to toss in my 2 cents.. I totally agree. I don't think it belongs here either.
May all your salads be eaten out of black hats
I think it would be good to have a ... (none / 0) (#15)
by scorpion on Sun May 21, 2000 at 09:41:41 AM EST

scorpion voted 1 on this story.

I think it would be good to have a discussion area for each comic rather than just a link to the other site. It starts to expand the "content" of K5 with an interesting twist.

More than the comic itself, I'd be ... (none / 0) (#17)
by Pseudonymous Coward on Sun May 21, 2000 at 12:45:34 PM EST

Pseudonymous Coward voted 1 on this story.

More than the comic itself, I'd be interested in the mechanism by which the syndication is presented to k5 users. How does a daily feature fit into k5's primary architecture of a linear, date-sorted article list?

not particularly fond of the style.... (none / 0) (#34)
by decomyn on Sun May 21, 2000 at 01:43:31 PM EST

decomyn voted 0 on this story.

not particularly fond of the style. If it goes up, I'd rather it be easy to miss.

it's not that funny....... (none / 0) (#9)
by mattdm on Sun May 21, 2000 at 01:53:44 PM EST

mattdm voted 0 on this story.

it's not that funny....

No thanks. I don't like User Friend... (none / 0) (#18)
by mdxi on Sun May 21, 2000 at 02:33:02 PM EST

mdxi voted -1 on this story.

No thanks. I don't like User Friendly, and this just feels like User Friendly run through a POVRAY filter or something. Also, I couldn't help but notice the shameless K5 screenshots pasted into the last few episodes. Yeah, I'm a bastard....

SYN SYN NAK

My other half says: don't put it on... (none / 0) (#3)
by hattig on Sun May 21, 2000 at 04:17:04 PM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

My other half says: don't put it on k5, its boring. People who want to find it already know where to go. There are too many user friendly/dilbert cartoon wannabes, and the problem with the user friendly/dilbert luser stock is that they weren't funny in the first place.

K5 Strip (none / 0) (#37)
by FlinkDelDinky on Sun May 21, 2000 at 06:38:32 PM EST

Well, I can't say I'm for it. Can't say I'm against it either.

If K5 carries it maybe you'd have it display a micro scaled version and then you click on it and the full size version + discussion of the particular strip pops up.

I'm leaning against it on grounds that K5 looks pretty when it comes up on the screen. A strip would ruin the beauty of the front page. I think if you're not going to display it on the front page than what's the point?

I guess on final analysis that I'm against it. Perhaps make it so that story submitters can have graphics and let him submit his strip everyday. If it makes it to the front page a lot then ask this question.

Now I'm getting kind of offended. Why does this guy get special treatment? All the rest of us get to go through 'filtration' but this guy goes strait to the top, front page everyday. Favoratism on K5? Naw, impossible.

Re: K5 Strip (none / 0) (#38)
by rusty on Sun May 21, 2000 at 06:48:49 PM EST

Hey now! :-)

I think I wasn't quite clear enough in the question. The strip isn't going to show up on the front page every day. I agree with you, it'd add needless graphics and uglify the front page up. So that's not going to happen.

Since the strip is a daily one, it would be silly to have it appear every single day in the story list. Rather I would do something like link to a persistent story, perhaps refreshed on a weekly basis. The "article" itself would be the comic. Below that would be the normal discussion thread. But this link would *not* be in the article list-- it would be somewhere up top, like "Read today's Badtech".

As for favoritism, that's what this discussion is all about avoiding. It would also be silly to have to vote on every individual strip, every day. So this is moderation for the whole syndication package. Do we want to carry it, or not? That's the question. I'm trying to let you make the decision, as I said.

Does that clarify things?

____
Not the real rusty

Re: K5 Strip (none / 0) (#45)
by FlinkDelDinky on Sun May 21, 2000 at 11:48:40 PM EST

Things are clear. But I still don't 'get' why this'd be a 'good thing'. I know you like it, if I read it I actually might like it too, but why make it part of K5?

I'm all for original K5 content. But that content must go through K5 'filtration' to actually be, in the truest sense, original K5 content. Plus, it's not original to the K5 site, it's an import.

Part of me wants this non-news oriented content. I won't go into why now, perhaps you'll find out in six months (perhaps not). But filtration is important.

After all, I can be funny, here let me tell you a joke...er...hmmm...well maybe now's not a good time.

Um. No. (5.00 / 2) (#39)
by alisdair on Sun May 21, 2000 at 06:49:41 PM EST

`Do one thing and do it well' is a fantastically useful concept which isn't applied often enough. Web portals suck (I don't want your regurgitated content!) because they do too much. Windows sucks partially because it tries to do everything in the OS. Office suites suck because... well, you get the idea.

k5 would start down this road if we had an official cartoon. If you really like it, rusty, link to it from the bluebar at the top. I don't like it much, mainly because I can't see it (i'm using lynx at the moment), but even if it was the next Garfield, I don't think it's appropriate here.

In short: no.

I don't think so . . . (5.00 / 1) (#40)
by adamant on Sun May 21, 2000 at 07:23:33 PM EST

I don't think that it belongs here. Add a link to the bluebar maybe. If there's something real groundbreaking in the strip, I'm sure that some reader will submit it.

I did like the idea however of developing a mechanism for syndication here on k5. We just need better content to syndicate!

;)

-adam

little boxes (none / 0) (#42)
by evro on Sun May 21, 2000 at 09:57:17 PM EST

How about a little box on the right, near the features, etc.? Something using an rdf maybe to specify a story number? I hate to call it a Slashbox, but that's the only name I know for it.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"
Marginal, at best. (none / 0) (#43)
by eann on Sun May 21, 2000 at 10:35:47 PM EST

I think the best way to attach this is with a slashbox-like mechanism. (Hrm. Time to come up with a generic term for that.) People who like it can click on it every day to see and contribute to the discussion. People who don't can set their user preferences not to show that box. If enough people really dislike the strip, default it to off and let users turn that feature on if they want it.

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

I don't like it (3.50 / 2) (#44)
by TomG on Sun May 21, 2000 at 10:47:00 PM EST

I don't think BadTech is amusing. And I don't think Kuro5hin needs (or could use) an official comic strip.

It doesn't interest me. (NAY!) (3.80 / 4) (#46)
by jwsh on Mon May 22, 2000 at 01:00:59 AM EST

Sorry, but I just don't see the use. As a side note, I was not particularly impressed with the comic, but I don't really think that any comic has a particular place on the site. I just don't think it would integrate that well, and I also don't see the need to discuss each and every strip. I think it would just degrade into a bunch of people posting "This comic sucks!" "No it doesn't" etc.. etc.. If you want to link to it, well, I guess I can't object to that.

No limit (3.00 / 1) (#47)
by duxup on Mon May 22, 2000 at 03:21:19 AM EST

Badtech is nice, but I hope this doesn't mean we couldn't add more official comics if warranted.

Erm. No (4.20 / 5) (#48)
by Gentry on Mon May 22, 2000 at 04:28:16 AM EST

1) It's not funny.
2) www.badtech.com isn't hard to type.

4 items (none / 0) (#49)
by DesiredUsername on Mon May 22, 2000 at 08:40:40 AM EST

1) I'm new here. Hi!

2) Thanks for calling it "Anonymous Hero" rather than "Anonymous Coward"

3) BadTech is OK, but the "lighting" is terrible. Spiff that up, James.

4) Why not allow a Comic "Slashbox"? Each user can pick which comment they want to show and there can be a discussion area for each choice. So, say I pick UF and Joe Schmoe picks BT. Joe then posts and read the BT discussion while I'm in the UF discussion.

Play 囲碁
What will it do to the audience? (none / 0) (#50)
by Alhazred on Mon May 22, 2000 at 09:39:37 AM EST

The only thing I wonder about is what will happen if you end up with something really popular here on Kuro5hin. Forgive me for revealing my ignorance, but I haven't seen badtech and I don't know how popular it is. I guess I don't REALLY know how many people know about k5 and how fast the audience is growing either.

Guess what I'm saying is that if it leads to a stampede of 100,000 of the grade of morons that generally post at "that other site (tm)" then maybe it should be someplace else...?

Don't let me spoil your party though, I just think k5 is unique. I suppose hoping for "quality through obscurity" is a bad idea anyway though, hehe.
That is not dead which may eternal lie And with strange aeons death itself may die.
Thumbs down (none / 0) (#51)
by PrettyBoyTim on Mon May 22, 2000 at 10:59:24 AM EST

I vote against it, I just don't think it's very funny.
Also, what has it got to do with kuro5shin.org? I can't really see it promoting discussion... except this one.

No. (3.00 / 1) (#52)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon May 22, 2000 at 11:28:45 AM EST

1. No.
2. In a 1x1 size gif^Wpng image.

Badtech is just plain horrible. Using raytraced, badly modeled (spheres and ellipses just don't cut it) graphics would alone be reason enough for no one to read the comic, but the writing (or lack thereof) makes the whole thing absolutely horrible.

No, I say. Hell no.

Yea or Nay? (none / 0) (#53)
by Paul Dunne on Mon May 22, 2000 at 03:33:43 PM EST

Well, since you ask -- Nay. I hate to sound old-fashioned, but aren't comics supposed to be drawn?
Perfect (5.00 / 1) (#54)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon May 22, 2000 at 03:57:53 PM EST

Badtech is a clone of user friendly. Kuro5hin is a clone of slashdot. Clones united!

Why is innovation absent from the linux community?

Re: Perfect (none / 0) (#55)
by rusty on Mon May 22, 2000 at 04:07:52 PM EST

It hurts me, inside, when you say those things...

No, we've never made much pretense to not be a slashdot clone. You see, I believe in free software, and the principles thereof. If something works, use it. If it's broken, fix it. K5 is an effort to fix what's broken about slashdot, while keeping what works. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater and all that. Innovation for it's own sake rarely produces a net benefit, whereas incremental improvement almost always does.

And of course, the inevitable "put up or shut up": Where's your innovation?

____
Not the real rusty

Better comic (4.00 / 1) (#56)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon May 22, 2000 at 10:39:20 PM EST

Tug House rules! :)

Re: Better comic (none / 0) (#58)
by Inoshiro on Wed May 24, 2000 at 02:21:42 AM EST

Yes, yes it does. :-)

(After spending the past 2 hours doing nothing but reading the comic)

[ イノシロ ]
Uuuugh. (none / 0) (#57)
by Slack on Tue May 23, 2000 at 04:32:37 PM EST

I kind of feel bad about saying this, since the guy is a regular k5 reader and it is a good idea and all, but I just find NOTHING appealing about this comic. Most of the jokes have already been done better on User Friendly, the wallpaper colors hurt my eyes, the rendering is clumsy, the dialogue is stilted, et cetera... personally, I'd do it like this: Have a (preferably togglable) slashbox with a miniaturized comic that acts as a link to the full-sized comic, along with the discussion threads. But again I have to ask: Why Badtech? Why not Sluggy Freelance, or User Friendly, or... guah.
I guess I don't see why we need an "official" comic, especially not Badtech. Another format that might work would be to have the k5 funny pages, with more than one syndicated strip so people could get their Badtech, Sluggy Freelance, User Friendly, et cetera all in one shot. Of course, the authors of those comics probably wouldn't agree to do it, with the obvious exception of the Badtech guy.
-- Slack (slack@mlug.missouri.edu) "Jesus saves vs. poison, and takes half damage!"
Badtech: Official K5 Comic? | 58 comments (58 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)