Cracked! Part 3: Hunting the Hunter

By davidu in News
Mon May 29, 2000 at 10:42:04 AM EST
Tags: Security (all tags)
Security

Since Noeld has decided to no longer post reminders of his #rootprompt.org articles on being cracked, I thought I would point out the third article in the series

"At this point I am more than a little nervous. He has noticed my port scan within seconds and has already tracked me back to Texas. I rm the port scanner and log out. Hoping that I have not let the cat out of the bag. By this point I am beginning to assume that he may have root on any machine. But the same things that are his friend are mine. There are so many systems and so many connections that a search for me on the Texas system even if he has access to the logs would most likely drown in a sea of information."

In this chapter Noel begins to turn the tables on the cracker and begins to track him down. While I admire Noel's determination in tracking down the intruder, personally, I believe it will be a futile attempt. Since this attack crosses international borders more than a few times, the possibility of an arrest resulting is slim, not to mention monetary compensation for damages.

What do other K5'ers think? Should Noel let the cracker know he is on to him and scare him away, or continue on his mission to discover the cracker's identity?

o Noeld
o #rootpromp t.org
o the third article in the series
o Also by davidu

Cracked! Part 3: Hunting the Hunter | 15 comments (15 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I think the politics behind the dec... (none / 0) (#6)
by bgp4 on Sun May 28, 2000 at 04:00:23 PM EST

bgp4 voted -1 on this story.

I think the politics behind the decision to post/not post this series will drown out any useful conversation.
May all your salads be eaten out of black hats

Re: I think the politics behind the dec... (none / 0) (#15)
by Marcin on Tue May 30, 2000 at 02:36:25 AM EST

Yet another reason why we need a tickbox or similar to say whether this is a comment on the story to spark discussion or a comment on why you didn't like the story which doesn't carry through.

Personally, I don't mind reading these articles on K5, there's only so many weblogs I have time to visit in one day, although a customisable box system might do the trick instead.

I've gone way off topic. :)
M.

I've already read all this. "Kuro5... (none / 0) (#10)
by _cbj on Sun May 28, 2000 at 06:16:42 PM EST

_cbj voted -1 on this story.

I've already read all this. "Kuro5hin: Technology and Culture Reheated from Rootprompt via LinuxToday".

It would be nice to have a link to ... (none / 0) (#1)
by Perpetual Newbie on Sun May 28, 2000 at 06:24:04 PM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted -1 on this story.

It would be nice to have a link to the actual article.

Your writing style strikes me as being a bit too submissive and apologetic(much like mine). You can ditch entirely that sentence after the selected quote; If you didn't think the story was worth posting you wouldn't be posting it, right? =)

Verdict: Resubmit with minor changes.

I like your writeup but I think the... (none / 0) (#7)
by ishbak on Sun May 28, 2000 at 06:31:25 PM EST

ishbak voted -1 on this story.

I like your writeup but I think the article is redundant(it's on another weblog) and it's already a week old.

Didn't Cliff Stoll write a book abo... (none / 0) (#3)
by eann on Sun May 28, 2000 at 10:02:58 PM EST

eann voted 0 on this story.

Didn't Cliff Stoll write a book about tracking down a cracker? Years ago?

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Re: Didn't Cliff Stoll write a book abo... (none / 0) (#14)
by warpeightbot on Tue May 30, 2000 at 02:06:28 AM EST

Called the Cuckoo's Egg. Great yarn.

I have liked the first two can't wa... (none / 0) (#8)
by JumpSuit Boy on Sun May 28, 2000 at 10:27:11 PM EST

JumpSuit Boy voted 1 on this story.

I have liked the first two can't wait to read the rest. Thank's for pointing it out.
The Director disavows any knowledge of the preceding comment.

Well, +1 just to complete the serie... (none / 0) (#4)
by inspire on Sun May 28, 2000 at 11:57:20 PM EST

inspire voted 1 on this story.

Well, +1 just to complete the series. But dont do it again.
What is the helix?

If Cliff Stoll, a once-has-been ast... (none / 0) (#5)
by warpeightbot on Mon May 29, 2000 at 01:56:59 AM EST

warpeightbot voted 1 on this story.

If Cliff Stoll, a once-has-been astronomer, can reel in the bad guys and get the German courts to issue the smack-down, so can Noel. Go for it. The book alone is worth a million bucks....

Besides, it would do my little pea-pickin' heart good to see the bad guys get it in the ass for a change.

warpeightbot, open can of whoop-ass

i've read this story and it is very... (none / 0) (#2)
by pope nihil on Mon May 29, 2000 at 02:26:21 AM EST

pope nihil voted 1 on this story.

i've read this story and it is very interesting.

I voted.

I find it exciting... but I have a ... (none / 0) (#11)
by Mantis on Mon May 29, 2000 at 04:11:21 AM EST

Mantis voted 1 on this story.

I find it exciting... but I have a boring life and therefore ain't much of a reference. Mantis

Re: I find it exciting... but I have a ... (none / 0) (#13)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon May 29, 2000 at 11:12:08 PM EST

I have a boring life...

I should be so lucky. Currently, my life is far to 'interesting' ( in the classical sense of 'may you live in interesting times' ).

As an aside - concerning the comments "this has already been posted on rootprompt, yadda, yadda, yadda!", speaking for myself, the only reason that I now know about rootprompt is because the previous articles were posted here at kuro5hin.

As for security issues in general, the problem is the mind set of people.

This is not simple the general public ( as per the recent problems with 'ILoveYou' ), but it's also a common problem amongst many IT proffesionals.

Stop and think about this for a second. The average senior IT manager in the commercial sector would be in their late fourties/early fifties. They have considerable experience with setting up and running large systems, but most of them are new to the Internet.

One of the consequences of this is that many of them don't see the need to upgrade/install security patches as they become available. Likewise, they don't see the need to keep abreast of the latest exploit reports or to proactively monitor their systems for trouble.

The result of this is that intrusions will often occur without being detected for long periods of time ( in fact, up to several years, as in the case of this series of articles ).

In this regard, a fundemental shift in perspective is required when you connect to the Internet. This is not only true of the general public. It's also true of those of us who are supposed to maintain and run these systems.

You might be strangling my chicken, but you don't want to know what I'm doing to your hampster.

I was going to vote -1 until I... (none / 0) (#9)
by Rasputin on Mon May 29, 2000 at 08:35:44 AM EST

Rasputin voted 0 on this story.

I was going to vote -1 until I saw the little bit of a question hiding at the end. This discussion still probably fits better as part of Inoshiro's ongoing security articles.
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

Very informative and interesting re... (none / 0) (#12)
by Logan on Mon May 29, 2000 at 10:42:04 AM EST

Logan voted 1 on this story.

Very informative and interesting reading.

Cracked! Part 3: Hunting the Hunter | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)