Andover to launch a magazine

By nicktamm in News
Thu May 04, 2000 at 09:38:11 AM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

According to this article at The Register, Andover.net is launching a free magazine. Its going to be called "Open", and is going to be available for free to "qualified applicants". Its website is at www.openmagazine.net, and there is a form to fill out if you want to recieve it.

So what does everybody think of a web-based media company creating a magazine when many are proclaiming that print-media is dead? Its obvious that they are doing this to increase advertising revenues, but is this a vote of no-confidence on web-based advertising, or simply a compliment? Think that we'll soon be seeing magazines put out by popular websites become a common thing (we already have Yahoo! magazine and EBay magazine)? Is a Kuro5hin magazine in the works :)?

PS. I know this story is skimpy on details, but their website doesn't have very much information. Others will probably find all sorts of stories about it at news sites I don't visit, which probably will prompt a re-posting of this story by somebody else. I encourage this, I just wanted to make everyone aware of this, because I hadn't seen it anywhere else. So vote -1 on this in the hopes someone will write it up much better than I have. Assuming you are interested in it. If you aren't still vote -1 :)

o Kuro5hin
o Yahoo
o this article
o The Register
o www.openma gazine.net
o Also by nicktamm

Andover to launch a magazine | 29 comments (29 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
There's an eBay magazine? ... (5.00 / 1) (#3)
by bmetzler on Wed May 03, 2000 at 02:45:38 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

There's an eBay magazine?

Print media is very important. And it is only complemented by online publishing. I can't take an online magazine on a plane with me, for instance. I can take a print copy though.

-Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.
LinuxToday posted links to press re... (5.00 / 1) (#21)
by Anonymous Zero on Wed May 03, 2000 at 02:50:17 PM EST

Anonymous Zero voted 0 on this story.

LinuxToday posted links to press releases about this a few days ago.

There's really not much to discuss ... (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by mihalis on Wed May 03, 2000 at 03:04:32 PM EST

mihalis voted -1 on this story.

There's really not much to discuss yet. There will be a new magazine. It may be good or it may not. That's all there is, move along now.
-- Chris Morgan <see em at mihalis dot net>

I just applied. I really like free ... (5.00 / 1) (#22)
by Strongtium90 on Wed May 03, 2000 at 03:37:45 PM EST

Strongtium90 voted 1 on this story.

I just applied. I really like free stuff.

/me giggles uncontrollably. Please,... (5.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Wed May 03, 2000 at 04:17:51 PM EST

rusty voted -1 on this story.

/me giggles uncontrollably. Please, just look at the website. I bet Rob and Hemos are so embarrassed by this. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

"Open" this "open" that .. what is ... (5.00 / 1) (#6)
by mattc on Wed May 03, 2000 at 04:27:09 PM EST

mattc voted 0 on this story.

"Open" this "open" that .. what is wrong with "Free Software???"

(what is this, Steal This Book? :) ... (5.00 / 1) (#17)
by warpeightbot on Wed May 03, 2000 at 04:30:38 PM EST

warpeightbot voted 0 on this story.

(what is this, Steal This Book? :) OK, he doesn't want me to vote +1, but I'm interested in the tidbit as it is, and would read the followups to get the gory details... so here's a big fat goose egg. :)

A print version of Andover stuff so... (5.00 / 1) (#15)
by r[o]b on Wed May 03, 2000 at 04:38:56 PM EST

r[o]b voted 1 on this story.

A print version of Andover stuff sounds good to me although I'm not sure Open Magazine is really what I want. Print media will be gone someday but not anytime soon (in computer time). As for now, I do a lot of reading on the web but enjoy printed media as well. Both mediums have advantages over each other.

online magazines are great for read... (5.00 / 1) (#18)
by captain larry on Wed May 03, 2000 at 04:46:13 PM EST

captain larry voted 1 on this story.

online magazines are great for reading daily news but i still like magazines. i like seeing ads for stuff i'm interested in, i like being able to take them to the crapper or on road trips to browse and i like to be able to cut out articles and stash them away for a time when i'll need the info. online stuff is great but magazines are easier to read (especially with my crappy monitor :-).
-- Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. - Pablo Picasso

I wonder if they're using "Open" to... (5.00 / 1) (#9)
by evro on Wed May 03, 2000 at 05:40:40 PM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

I wonder if they're using "Open" to represent Open Source™ or open source. Judging by the recent Slashdot interview with RMS, the idea is not simply to open the source code, but to liberate software users. ESR seems to have given Open Source a bad name. I don't see anything wrong with an Internet media company making a print magazine, as long as it's quality. Lord knows we don't need another worthless waste of paper floating around. The problem I have is, won't whatever they print be outdated by the time it gets into the hands of the readers?
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Paper media is far from dead. Free... (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by skim123 on Wed May 03, 2000 at 05:47:22 PM EST

skim123 voted 1 on this story.

Paper media is far from dead. Free stuff is cool, and I'm all for it.

PT Barnum

Fuck Andover.... (3.00 / 2) (#11)
by Velian on Wed May 03, 2000 at 06:35:53 PM EST

Velian voted -1 on this story.

Fuck Andover.

If anyone needed any convincing tha... (5.00 / 1) (#14)
by mdxi on Wed May 03, 2000 at 06:45:21 PM EST

mdxi voted 1 on this story.

If anyone needed any convincing that Andover is simply and purely in this to make a fast buck of of us, I think this should be more than ample proof.

SYN SYN NAK

Re: If anyone needed any convincing tha... (none / 0) (#29)
by Paul Dunne on Fri May 05, 2000 at 04:34:22 AM EST

Oh, that's a bit harsh. Andover are a company; making money is the reason for their existence. I don't think they are trying to cash in, at least no more than any other company. If the magazine's any good, it'll get circulation and thus advertising revenue; if not, it'll fade away. Fair enough, I think.
Oh my god... that openmagazine.net ... (5.00 / 1) (#10)
by fluffy grue on Wed May 03, 2000 at 07:41:49 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Oh my god... that openmagazine.net site was just TOO funny. "Prepare for your Open Source computing..." what the FUCK?! "Make the most of your Open Source e-business dollar." It seemed more like a joke site making fun of buzzword-bingo press releases, except knowing Andover, it's for reals. Good GOD.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I've been wondering when something ... (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by Dacta on Wed May 03, 2000 at 07:47:45 PM EST

Dacta voted 1 on this story.

I've been wondering when something like this would happen. I'm not sure they will be able to continue to give it away free, though

Re: I've been wondering when something ... (none / 0) (#24)
by leshert on Thu May 04, 2000 at 11:29:04 AM EST

Why not? What about print rags like InfoWorld, InfoWeek, and the like that are given away gratis in exactly the same way? They don't seem to to going away...

Who's idea was this?... (5.00 / 1) (#16)
by sergent on Wed May 03, 2000 at 08:28:04 PM EST

sergent voted 0 on this story.

Who's idea was this?

I think andorver is weird... (5.00 / 1) (#5)
by davidu on Wed May 03, 2000 at 09:32:28 PM EST

davidu voted 1 on this story.

I think andorver is weird

I've seen the Open Magazine website... (5.00 / 1) (#23)
by madams on Thu May 04, 2000 at 12:45:11 AM EST

madams voted 1 on this story.

I've seen the Open Magazine website, but haven't seen any articles about it on Other Sites(TM). The postscript could have been left off. I mean, jeez, you don't need to tell us the write-up is skimpy.

Mark Adams
"But pay no attention to anonymous charges, for they are a bad precedent and are not worthy of our age." - Trajan's reply to Pliny the Younger, 112 A.D.

Why is it that every Internet-relat... (5.00 / 1) (#20)
by leshert on Thu May 04, 2000 at 12:48:38 AM EST

leshert voted 1 on this story.

Why is it that every Internet-related advancement is assumed to be a replacement for a real-world technology?

At first I thought "well, that's ju... (5.00 / 1) (#19)
by Marcin on Thu May 04, 2000 at 01:16:36 AM EST

Marcin voted 1 on this story.

At first I thought "well, that's just dumb" :) but when I read the reasoning for it, it makes sense.

Basically, it is aimed more at business people. All the business people I know (not too many :) ) are more likely to 'believe' something they read on paper than on a website.. [shrug] It's just the way it is.

The reason I thought it was 'dumb' when I read the idea was that opensource news and whatever is already covered by sites like /. and FreshMeat (err, from the Andover point of view), but this magazine contains more indepth articles and 'reviews', and more importantly how to integrate open source in your business.

Good luck to them in spreading the good word to clueless management ;)
M.

I know it's link propagation but it... (5.00 / 1) (#13)
by pwhysall on Thu May 04, 2000 at 03:43:02 AM EST

pwhysall voted 1 on this story.

I know it's link propagation but it's interesting nonetheless.

I notice the criteria for "qualification" are carefully hidden...
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Re: I know it's link propagation but it... (none / 0) (#27)
by Dr.Dubious DDQ on Thu May 04, 2000 at 06:22:30 PM EST

>I notice the criteria for "qualification" are carefully hidden...

Yes...but you can get some hints from the mandatory questionnaire.

It appears as though you need to work for a relatively large company that would make a good target for their computer-company advertisers. I stopped and gave up when I saw the "how big is the company you work for" question - and the and number of employees bottomed out at "100-499". As I work for a lab with a workforce somewhat smaller than 100, I suspect they'd ignore me, so I say, "nuts to 'em".
"Given the pace of technology, I propose we leave math to the machines and go play outside." -- Calvin
Free subscription questionnaires (none / 0) (#28)
by Paul Dunne on Fri May 05, 2000 at 04:31:21 AM EST

They say you don't have to tell the truth when filling out these things. Not that I would ever advocate that sort of behaviour. Oh, no.
The idea is that in a corporate env... (5.00 / 1) (#2)
by hattig on Thu May 04, 2000 at 08:05:00 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

The idea is that in a corporate environment (like they will be giving the magazine to students etc) the magazine will probably be left lying around, or someone (even low down) might find something of interest to their workgroup.

Bet the magazine is pretty boring though. Still, worth a look for free. I imagine a 1000page magazine with 100 pages of editorial and 900 pages of adverts. Especially if they have to mail it abroad, like they seem to be offering.

Print media will never die. There i... (5.00 / 1) (#4)
by Emacs on Thu May 04, 2000 at 09:38:11 AM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

Print media will never die. There is nothing like flopping down on the couch..fluffing a couple pillows...and grabbing your favorite book/magazine/newspaper to read.

Re: Andover to launch a magazine (5.00 / 1) (#25)
by Paul Dunne on Thu May 04, 2000 at 12:07:45 PM EST

Could someone post a translation of that web page? I don't read corpspeak.
Re: Andover to launch a magazine (5.00 / 1) (#26)
by Saint Zero on Thu May 04, 2000 at 03:48:11 PM EST

Oh Boy. I'm not surprised, really. Not everyone reads all these web sites. It is an effective way to reach a target audience. And you don't have people writing "First Post" or "Hot Grits" or other BullSh!t that clogs Slashdot. I applied for my free subscription. Might be good. :)
---------- Patron Saint of Nothing, really.
Andover to launch a magazine | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)