New DVD Chipset with Native Linux Support!

By RJ11 in News
Wed May 31, 2000 at 05:17:39 PM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

SiS just announced their new SiS630 and SiS540, two new DVD decoding chipsets that are going to have native Linux support. This comes from a collaboration with InterVideo, who has been promising LinDVD for some months now, a Linux compliment to their WinDVD product.

o SiS630 and SiS540
o InterVideo
o Also by RJ11

New DVD Chipset with Native Linux Support! | 38 comments (38 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
woohoo! about f'ing time!... (none / 0) (#3)
by pope nihil on Wed May 31, 2000 at 12:50:12 AM EST

pope nihil voted 1 on this story.

woohoo! about f'ing time!

I voted.

sweeeet.... (none / 0) (#5)
by HiRes on Wed May 31, 2000 at 12:54:25 AM EST

HiRes voted 1 on this story.

sweeeet.
wcb
wait! before you rate, read.

Not only MLP(0), but MLP(0) with al... (none / 0) (#16)
by Qtmstr on Wed May 31, 2000 at 01:20:41 AM EST

Qtmstr voted -1 on this story.

Not only MLP(0), but MLP(0) with almost no writeup(-1).

Kuro5hin delenda est!

More hardware support for Linux is ... (none / 0) (#23)
by Falkkin on Wed May 31, 2000 at 01:44:05 AM EST

Falkkin voted 1 on this story.

More hardware support for Linux is always a good thing.
All portions of this document authored by myself are hereby released into the public domain.
View a copy of the public domain dedication at creativecommons.org.

I don't know about this project's o... (none / 0) (#1)
by Nyarlathotep on Wed May 31, 2000 at 02:11:05 AM EST

Nyarlathotep voted -1 on this story.

I don't know about this project's open source credentials, but I do not wasnt to run any DVD software which has closed soure portions. I want to have all my "fair use" rights with regard to any content I purchas on DVD period. End of discussion.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

Re: I don't know about this project's o... (none / 0) (#30)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed May 31, 2000 at 11:05:09 PM EST

guess you won't be watching any dvd any time soon. Being supportive of Open source is one thing, but being closed minded to other options is, well, closed minded.

Mindless Product Announcement?... (none / 0) (#7)
by inspire on Wed May 31, 2000 at 02:56:01 AM EST

inspire voted -1 on this story.

Mindless Product Announcement?
What is the helix?

About time - but I'd rather just ha... (none / 0) (#19)
by martin on Wed May 31, 2000 at 03:02:58 AM EST

martin voted 1 on this story.

About time - but I'd rather just have a plain DVD player into my TV

I'm still looking for open source d... (none / 0) (#15)
by feline on Wed May 31, 2000 at 03:48:49 AM EST

feline voted 1 on this story.

I'm still looking for open source dvd decorders, but I guess that's not coming any time soon, so I guess this'll do for the time being (DAMN YOU MPAA, or is it RIAA? I can never tell anymore. oh well, they suck anway.
------------------------------------------

'Hello sir, you don't look like someone who satisfies his wife.'

This is both good and bad news. It... (5.00 / 1) (#14)
by marm on Wed May 31, 2000 at 03:50:56 AM EST

marm voted 1 on this story.

This is both good and bad news. It's about time hardware manufacturers started taking Linux seriously as an OS of choice, as opposed to it being an afterthought, and it's good that the drivers they're developing for the chips use the standard DRI API for 3D (take note NVidia). It's also good that we might finally see 'official' DVD support for Linux.

But take a step back.... this is SiS we're talking about. When was the last time you bought SiS gear because of its quality?
It's a shame that LinDVD has to be proprietary too - whilst I can see the problems relating to CSS licensing, surely it wouldn't be unimaginable to release it as a free, open-source MPEG-2 player, and then have a small binary plugin to deal with CSS decryption? Just a thought...

Perhaps other companies thinking about developing an 'approved' DVD player for Linux might like to think about that - harness the power of open-source development for the vast majority of the work, give the community back something very useful in and of itself (a free MPEG-2 player) and then make your money by selling the comparatively small amount of code that is required for CSS decryption as a binary-only add-on. In addition this means you could then conceivably support many more *NIX architectures than would be possible if you were writing a wholly proprietary program...

Please Sir can I have some more? ... (1.00 / 1) (#2)
by kraant on Wed May 31, 2000 at 03:51:23 AM EST

kraant voted -1 on this story.

Please Sir can I have some more?

More? You want more?
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

Looks like an ad to me...... (2.00 / 2) (#4)
by pwhysall on Wed May 31, 2000 at 06:56:07 AM EST

pwhysall voted -1 on this story.

Looks like an ad to me...
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

hmm Linux seems to become more and ... (none / 0) (#21)
by fengor on Wed May 31, 2000 at 08:06:46 AM EST

fengor voted 0 on this story.

hmm Linux seems to become more and more Mainstream it certainly has his advantages but i wonder what the cost will be...
hackers do it with bugs.

Usefull information... (none / 0) (#9)
by pzb on Wed May 31, 2000 at 08:48:24 AM EST

pzb voted 1 on this story.

Usefull information

This will probably be closed-source... (none / 0) (#18)
by mind21_98 on Wed May 31, 2000 at 09:07:37 AM EST

mind21_98 voted 1 on this story.

This will probably be closed-source, mainly because of the MPAA and other related organizations. However this is still better than not having any Linux support at all.

mind21_98 - http://www.translator.cx/
"Ask not if the article is utter BS, but what BS can be exposed in said article."

no ads... (none / 0) (#12)
by ishbak on Wed May 31, 2000 at 09:26:59 AM EST

ishbak voted -1 on this story.

no ads

Blurby MLP. Pass.... (none / 0) (#6)
by Pseudonymous Coward on Wed May 31, 2000 at 09:58:32 AM EST

Pseudonymous Coward voted -1 on this story.

Blurby MLP. Pass.

It's not clear from the press relea... (2.00 / 1) (#11)
by YellowBook on Wed May 31, 2000 at 11:14:11 AM EST

YellowBook voted 1 on this story.

It's not clear from the press release whether the driver is Free software. It's possible that it could be, if all the decryption is done in the hardware. I generally feel better about smarter peripherals anyway --- I don't want my CPU doing things that a PPU is better suited for.

Re: It's not clear from the press relea... (4.00 / 1) (#32)
by techt on Thu Jun 01, 2000 at 08:31:49 AM EST

It appears as if it will not be free software. One of the developers of the product, on the LiViD developer mailing list, wrote "the hardware register spec and software library is 'classified' and under control of another department." The developer has tried to convince them "several times" to free it, but has not met with success.

Linux isn't friendly to binary-only drivers. The kernel structures can change without notice. There is also the fact that not everyone is using an x86 machine. Unfortunately, if InterVideo and SiS don't understand this and free their driver source, then ultimately it will only be used by a segment of the potential GNU/Linux users. Their strategy is not optimal for the GNU/Linux market. As such, in a time they may look back and, based on sales, decide GNU/Linux users really don't want DVD as a whole -- which is just plain wrong. We want DVD. We also want freedom.

Proud member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation!
Are You? http://www.eff.org/support/joineff.html
Re: It's not clear from the press relea... (none / 0) (#33)
by YellowBook on Thu Jun 01, 2000 at 10:09:52 AM EST

Guess I won't be getting one then. I suppose I should write to the manufacturer and tell them why.

Cool!... (none / 0) (#13)
by GeoffinIdaho on Wed May 31, 2000 at 11:48:13 AM EST

GeoffinIdaho voted 1 on this story.

Cool!

Doesn't seem to mention how open th... (none / 0) (#17)
by El Volio on Wed May 31, 2000 at 12:06:48 PM EST

El Volio voted 1 on this story.

Doesn't seem to mention how open the drivers will be, unless I missed it...

Linux is struggling to provide many... (none / 0) (#24)
by runyan on Wed May 31, 2000 at 12:22:27 PM EST

runyan voted 1 on this story.

Linux is struggling to provide many of the capabilities of windows. Anything that provides information on that struggle is worth seeing.

My goal is to have a Linux box whic... (2.00 / 1) (#22)
by Jake96 on Wed May 31, 2000 at 12:52:59 PM EST

Jake96 voted 1 on this story.

My goal is to have a Linux box which I can use to watch DVD's and cable television, listen to radio, CD's and mp3's, browse and write for the web, word process, program, study, make breakfast and calculate the answer to, you know, life, the universe and everything. Thanks to SiS, I'm now one step closer!

I wouldn't be so grateful (none / 0) (#31)
by squigly on Thu Jun 01, 2000 at 06:36:15 AM EST

The industry as a whole has finally realised that Linux is a suitable platform, on the condition that you have an intel compatible CPU, and are happy about being restricted to only using DVD's from a single region, and it doesn't matter to you how these things work, or the fact that if there is a trivial bug, then you can't fix it yourself, but have to wait until the publishers deem it worthy for correction

God I'm cynical

People who sig other people have nothing intelligent to say for themselves - anonimouse
I think this could promote some int... (none / 0) (#20)
by agl on Wed May 31, 2000 at 02:06:28 PM EST

agl voted 1 on this story.

I think this could promote some interresting discussion regarding DVD's fundimental pricipals (of controling the user etc) when we have Linux support.

DVD stories are alway good, but thi... (none / 0) (#8)
by SgtPepper on Wed May 31, 2000 at 02:07:04 PM EST

SgtPepper voted 1 on this story.

DVD stories are alway good, but this still doesn't REALLY help us get open standards. Sure interoperateability is good. But this is at the hardware level, you're still playing a RIAA license tax everytime you buy a card. So sure, post it, it's intresting, but is it really a "Good Thing"?

Re: DVD stories are alway good, but thi... (none / 0) (#37)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Jun 07, 2000 at 04:49:38 PM EST

Sorry to be a technical asshole, but MPAA, not RIAA :)

-Erik- (neat site, never visited before)

Re: DVD stories are alway good, but thi... (none / 0) (#38)
by SgtPepper on Sun Jun 11, 2000 at 09:48:55 AM EST

Damnit, I KNOW that, but i keep DOING it :)

Hrrm, yet another "Supports linux" ... (none / 0) (#25)
by docpaperboy on Wed May 31, 2000 at 03:16:58 PM EST

docpaperboy voted -1 on this story.

Hrrm, yet another "Supports linux" announcement. This is why I left /. I don't see how this is going to promote discussion (at least no the kind I would like to read/particip in). Perhaps the RJ11 should have considered using this as an opening to discuss the issues behind the whole DVD debate, but this has been beat to death elsewhere... JM$.02 BTW. vasty impressed by the quality of material and discussion on this site. Thanks to all for thier contributions.

Re: Hrrm, yet another (none / 0) (#26)
by RJ11 on Wed May 31, 2000 at 05:45:25 PM EST

Perhaps the docpaperboy fails to see that this is possibly the first/only hardware DVD product that has announced Linux support before its release. This is an entirely different issue, and has yet to be beaten to death.

Re: Hrrm, yet another (none / 0) (#35)
by docpaperboy on Thu Jun 01, 2000 at 05:57:22 PM EST

Okay, IMHO whether linux would eventually have native support for DVD was not the _real_ issue here. I'm overjoyed that some company has finally pulled it together, but it was bound to happen eventually. I'm more concerned with the copywrite protection issues behind this. Something which has been discussed quite a bit. If you just want to get excited that there's some nifty hardware on the way, fine. Buy one and enjoy...I'll bring the popcorn.

Re: Hrrm, yet another (none / 0) (#36)
by fluffy grue on Thu Jun 01, 2000 at 09:25:58 PM EST

Evans and Sutherland made a similar pre-hardware-release announcement about Linux support for one of their high-end workstation OpenGL cards. You never heard about it because the Slashdot editors didn't think my story on it was suitable, though I'm sure there were far less-suitable stories on /. that day.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

It does mean more then just Linux toys (3.00 / 1) (#27)
by fear_the_penguin on Wed May 31, 2000 at 10:10:40 PM EST

long long ago, in a monopoly far far from sane, the DVD mafia lived in a happy camp. Then came the big bad linux kids and their gosh darn reverse engineering. All of the sudden, DVD wasnt as secure as it once was, Why you ask? Cause those darn linux kiddies now had a means to play a DVD that also allows the encryption on a DVD to be negated. Thus all those neat levels of protection that keeps people from making perfect copies of a DVD, are gone. What's the result? Anyone played with DVD audio yet? didnt think so. Why? because they are reworking the protection schemes to keep something like what happened with DVD video from happening to audio as well. What does this mean in the context of this story? It means that 1. SiS, if they are able to deliver on said product, will have a whole new market of users crashing down their door and new PR for the company. 2., the fiasco that was and is DVD decryption could have been side stepped entirely if companies with much greater budgets and man power then SiS had taken a look around at the other OS's out there instead of adding to a bloated market, months ago. 3. I will finally be able to nuke any traces of windows from my systems before I ship off to the military.
...and the geek shall inherit the earth...
"Multiple AC97 codes"? Does this m... (none / 0) (#10)
by warpeightbot on Wed May 31, 2000 at 05:11:26 PM EST

warpeightbot voted 1 on this story.

"Multiple AC97 codes"? Does this mean the thing isn't Region-locked? If it is, it's time I started saving for that 21" monitor I've been lusting after.....

Re: Region codes (none / 0) (#28)
by Mulad on Wed May 31, 2000 at 10:23:15 PM EST

Well, most DVD software asks you what region you are in when you install... Re-install, and you're suddenly in a different region..

Re: Region codes (none / 0) (#29)
by Mulad on Wed May 31, 2000 at 10:23:15 PM EST

What about support for BSD? Solaris? SCO? (1.00 / 1) (#34)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Jun 01, 2000 at 01:35:31 PM EST

*yawn*

1) this is not a shipping product. When it ships, then I might care.
2) If I want to run a non-Microsoft DVD, for under $200 I can buy a dedicated player or I could buy a Mac.
3) Where is the support of BeOS, Solaris, BSD, SCO, and everyone else?
4) When they say 'Linux' do they mean a specific version of one of the 150+ different Linux versions, or are they going to support LINUX-the whole ball of wax?
5) X86 OpCode only?

New DVD Chipset with Native Linux Support! | 38 comments (38 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)