"Quantum Project" first major film for Internet release

By Anonymous Zero in News
Sat May 06, 2000 at 01:18:16 AM EST
Tags: Movies (all tags)
Movies

According to this article in BBC news the sci-fi film "Quantum Project" starring John Cleese, Stephen Dorff, and Fae Masterson is the first major film produced exclusively for Internet release at www.sightsound.com. The film's production cost was $3million and it is 32 minutes long. Viewers pay a one-time charge of $3.95 to download the movie which is the full purchase price and not a rental fee.

Quote from the BBC article Cleese plays Dorff's father, internet pioneer Alexander, who asks the same questions as his son and is ultimately lonely because of his work. Unfortunately that all I know because the sightsound web site requires IE5 and Windows Media player.

o this article
o "Quantum Project"
o John Cleese
o Stephen Dorff
o Fae Masterson
o www.sights ound.com
o Also by Anonymous Zero

"Quantum Project" first major film for Internet release | 22 comments (22 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Pandering. ... (none / 0) (#12)
by RobotSlave on Fri May 05, 2000 at 12:00:39 PM EST

RobotSlave voted -1 on this story.

Pandering.

Does anyone else feel... targeted?
And -11 for linking to a page that makes my "back" button useless.

I don't like the look of sightsound-- they're founded on a "patent portfolio" covering internet distribution of music and film. 'nuff said.

Not much to go on here. rounding d... (none / 0) (#9)
by marlowe on Fri May 05, 2000 at 12:05:11 PM EST

marlowe voted -1 on this story.

Not much to go on here. rounding dwon from -0.5

Cool, sort of, but MS Media player-... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Fri May 05, 2000 at 12:25:07 PM EST

rusty voted 0 on this story.

Cool, sort of, but MS Media player-only. So that's kind of lame. Why don't these web media sites bother to encode for various platforms? It's not that hard, and it expands your potential customer base. That's always puzzled me...

____
Not the real rusty

Interesting. They seem to have diff... (4.00 / 1) (#13)
by nicktamm on Fri May 05, 2000 at 01:49:40 PM EST

nicktamm voted 1 on this story.

Interesting. They seem to have different versions of the movie, v3.0, v3.5, and v4.0. Each of the three versions are also available in a high res and regular version. Each seems to be a different price, and it seems that you can only get the one you pay for. The high res version of v4.0 is 166MB and the regular is 81MB. v3.0 and v3.5 are described as "alternate cuts", so I wonder if they are just different and the version numbers are marketing things, or are they actually older than the official cut, v4.0?
They seem to be using some features of Windows Media Player which allow anyone to download the file (a self-extracting .zip) through regular old HTTP, and then when the .asf (which is Windows Media Player's format I think) is launched, Media Player connects to them and you do your whole credit card transaction deal. I wonder what happens when you need to re-install Windows (this is Windows, after all)? It says you get a license key, but I wonder if that comes as a file you can save to a floppy somewhere for safe keeping. If it does though, I don't see what would prevent someone from uploading the key to a server somewhere and pirating their movie. Also, this is putting a lot of trust in Microsoft and their ability to properly encrypt the file... didn't somebody find a crack for an audio format of theirs a while back?
BTW, what "same questions" is "internet pioneer Alexander" asking? They don't mention what his son is asking in the BBC report. Is it just me, or does it seem like they left a paragraph out of the report right before that one. Oh, and a link which wasn't mentioned in the writeup is the movie's official homepage (not the distributor's) at <A HREF-"http://www.quantumproject.com">http://www.quantumproject.com
Nick Tamm nick-k5@echorequest.net http://www.nicktamm.org

Yes, Let's open a store and then on... (none / 0) (#2)
by bmetzler on Fri May 05, 2000 at 01:52:47 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

Yes, Let's open a store and then only allow people to shop there who are right-handed.
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

This could be a small glimpse of th... (none / 0) (#16)
by leshert on Fri May 05, 2000 at 02:35:09 PM EST

leshert voted 1 on this story.

This could be a small glimpse of the future, or a grossly overoptimistic fantasy. You make the call.

Very interesting... it's kinda dist... (4.00 / 1) (#7)
by fluffy grue on Fri May 05, 2000 at 03:04:12 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Very interesting... it's kinda disturbing that a half an hour film would cost $3M to produce, but still, I'd like to see more of this. In the meantime, there's a LOT of *very* good indie films available for free at Underground Film, as well as at atom films which I can't see because the MIME types on their Flash programs are wrong so Netscape gets confused even though the EMBED tags explicitly give the MIME type, and so I only know what they have based on things I recognize from their ads and a few things they've shown on Exposure. Oh, and Exposure has been showing some really cool stuff lately, as well.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Is there any mention of what format... (none / 0) (#6)
by evro on Fri May 05, 2000 at 03:23:05 PM EST

evro voted 1 on this story.

Is there any mention of what format it will be using? I hope it's something neutral, like .mpg. The worst would be if it's .asx, because ONLY Windows users can read that (MS's Windows Media Player for Mac [wonderful name] sucks horribly); .mov would include Mac users, but still not Linux. Ideally they'll have a variety of formats and you can just choose the one you want, but I somehow think MS or Apple will shell out the money to get an exclusive deal and somebody will be left out in the cold.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"

Interesting stuff indeed, a concret... (none / 0) (#11)
by pvg on Fri May 05, 2000 at 03:49:26 PM EST

pvg voted 1 on this story.

Interesting stuff indeed, a concrete data point in the discussion about intellectual property ownership and distribution in the digital age (fuckin'a bubba, I can't believe I just typed that cliche). I'd like to see this but I don't think I'm going to buy it or rent it. For one thing, it's a windows-only viewable file. I'm typing this on a w2k box but if I want to own a movie I'd like it to last longer than an OS fad, I'd like it to be in an open format so that one day I'll be able to pipe it into, say, a digital TV. Furthermore, the terms of the license weren't quite clear from the webpage, the micropayment wasn't quite micro enough and the distribution method is 'closed trusted client'. Take a look at it for yourself <a href=http://www.sightsound.com>here

Interesting.. wish it was longer th... (none / 0) (#5)
by emjay on Fri May 05, 2000 at 05:24:19 PM EST

emjay voted 1 on this story.

Interesting.. wish it was longer than 32 minutes though.
-------------------------
We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Neat concept, too bad all it suppor... (none / 0) (#15)
by slycer on Fri May 05, 2000 at 05:30:15 PM EST

slycer voted 1 on this story.

Neat concept, too bad all it supports is media player. You have to wonder how they are going to protect this, I mean $3.95 is a pretty cheap price to pay if the movie is any good, but because you are downloading it, it's going to be pretty easy to pirate. Is this going to be the "next big thing". I doubt it, simply due to the fact that pirating would be big.

Re: Neat concept, too bad all it suppor... (none / 0) (#17)
by rusty on Sat May 06, 2000 at 01:30:28 AM EST

Think about the cost of bandwidth though, for 1/2 hr movie downloads. I think the pirating you'd see on this is "Oh, Bob in accounting has that, we'll just whip it over the 100M ethernet onto this laptop" rather than huge FTP servers over the net. The distribution site is bound to have more bandwidth than 98% of the pirate FTP servers, and if it's a choice between 400K/s for 5 bucks, and 60K/s for free, I know I'd pay, and probably a lot of other people would too. Time will tell, though.

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Neat concept, too bad all it suppor... (none / 0) (#18)
by Inoshiro on Sat May 06, 2000 at 02:38:45 AM EST

Of course this doesn't apply to dialup users ;-)

[ イノシロ ]
This would be where we cajole apple... (none / 0) (#14)
by adric on Fri May 05, 2000 at 05:31:08 PM EST

adric voted 1 on this story.

This would be where we cajole apple into OS'ing Quicktime, or at least porting the fsking thing, right?

Windows Media Player. Bah. Too bad. It sounds like an interesting half-hour diversion.

+1 for the issue. ... (none / 0) (#3)
by FlinkDelDinky on Fri May 05, 2000 at 05:45:00 PM EST

FlinkDelDinky voted 1 on this story.

+1 for the issue.

I think this is the ultimate future of for profit media like films. You'll pay a one time fee and your automated 'media center tv/radio/computer thing' will download the film and burn a perfect copy onto your disc to be viewed any time you wish.

To avoid piracy they will probably only charge between $5 to $10 for it. This is what they've done for videos. This is the future, not trusted client.

So much for your "future" (none / 0) (#22)
by Anonymous Hero on Sun May 07, 2000 at 09:26:12 AM EST

Quantumn Project is the only movie from that site that isn't a rental. The rest are all "trusted client" movies, that work with MediaPlayer. If that's the future, well... sketchy.

I like the story not enough write u... (none / 0) (#4)
by kraant on Fri May 05, 2000 at 08:13:12 PM EST

kraant voted 0 on this story.

I like the story not enough write up tho
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

Is it Fae or Fay? And I don't find... (none / 0) (#8)
by TomG on Sat May 06, 2000 at 12:32:51 AM EST

TomG voted -1 on this story.

Is it Fae or Fay? And I don't find it interesting.

Interesting. I wonder whether they'... (none / 0) (#10)
by End on Sat May 06, 2000 at 12:40:42 AM EST

End voted 1 on this story.

Interesting. I wonder whether they'll have the same problem Stephen King did.

(Was that a question?)

-JD

Re: Interesting. I wonder whether they'... (none / 0) (#19)
by FlinkDelDinky on Sat May 06, 2000 at 02:43:18 AM EST

What was King's problem?

Re: Interesting. I wonder whether they'... (none / 0) (#20)
by rusty on Sat May 06, 2000 at 03:29:47 AM EST

It wasn't his problem, so much as the online distributors of his download-only book, Riding the Bullet. We ran a story about it back in March-- basically King had a new novella, and he only distibuted it on the internet. Amazon and Barnes and Noble carried it for free, and their servers nearly melted down with the demand. I suspect that for a 1/2 hour movie, with a recognizable and popular star, the demand is going to far outstrip the bandwidth supply. But I guess we'll see. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Interesting. I wonder whether they'... (none / 0) (#21)
by End on Sat May 06, 2000 at 01:39:57 PM EST

Actually his problem, the one I was referring to anyway, was rampant unauthorized copying of the book, in addition to all the demand from the official sources.

-JD

"Quantum Project" first major film for Internet release | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)