Kuro5hin's Focus

By typo in News
Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 04:20:00 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

I often find myself wondering if I should vote to post some article because, altough it is sometimes well written and interesting, I feel in doubt about it's topic and how it fits into Kuro5hin. How does everyone feel about the focus kuro5hin should take and do you think the mission text should be rewritten or extended?

"technology and culture, from the trenches" is a great little model to follow but gives little info about the real issues that Kuro5hin should attend to. I believe in meta moderation's ability to filter the good from the bad stories but shouldn't we article writes have some kind of guidelines to tell us what's related and what isn't?

o Kuro5hin
o Also by typo

Kuro5hin's Focus | 48 comments (48 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I find that any well written, well ... (4.00 / 1) (#5)
by Inoshiro on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 07:16:25 PM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

I find that any well written, well thought out piece deserves to be viewed and commented upon. Obviously technology related news gets a bit of bias, but I like to think that the Kuro5hin reading public are open minded :)

[ イノシロ ]

Too many guidelines makes the proce... (3.00 / 1) (#16)
by hooty on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 07:30:19 PM EST

hooty voted 1 on this story.

Too many guidelines makes the process more automatic.... you just need to use your judgement.

When I submit stories either here o... (3.00 / 1) (#23)
by Buck Satan on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 07:44:13 PM EST

Buck Satan voted 1 on this story.

When I submit stories either here on K5, or slashdot, or wherever, I just do a simple test: Is it cool? If it is, then somebody else will probably think it is cool too.

While k5 may have specific or narro... (3.00 / 1) (#6)
by Demona on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 07:55:03 PM EST

Demona voted -1 on this story.

While k5 may have specific or narrow focus in some folks' minds, I've simply come to think of it as a more "eclectic" geek news service. While guidelines for presentation would be helpful, I feel that guidelines for content would end up being overly limiting. As it is, k5 sees a wide variety of submissions, and even ones that get dumped instead of posted help us in the continual process of discovering what k5 is and what we want it to be.

I don't care if something fits a my... (3.00 / 1) (#12)
by fluffy grue on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 07:55:24 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

I don't care if something fits a mythical "plan" behind K5. I just vote up things I find interesting and vote down things I don't, and stay neutral on stuff I don't care one way or the other about. It's that simple.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Seems like kuro5hin can be what eve... (3.70 / 3) (#22)
by abe1x on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 08:00:45 PM EST

abe1x voted -1 on this story.

Seems like kuro5hin can be what ever we want it to be until rusty pulls the plug. If you are interested in reading about a topic vote for it. If you are not don't vote for it, you have the power. No need to second guess whether a topic is appropriate or not, that mechanism is built into the system.

The beauty of K5, and the scoop engine in general, is that once a site is set up it is dangerously close to being a self organizing system. What's appropriate for the site is whatever its readers want to be on the site. Until of course the creator decides the site is no longer to their liking and implements moderators and karma.

Please quit the endless self reflection and vote for whatever the fuck you want to read about.

We need a persistant meta forum for... (none / 0) (#10)
by kmself on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 08:06:58 PM EST

kmself voted -1 on this story.

We need a persistant meta forum for issues like this.

We also need a "story proposal" type mechanism for people to collaborate on submissions. Add this to the "edit" vote button.

And mind you, I do value meta discussions.

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

No. Post it if you want to. Peopl... (3.00 / 1) (#4)
by ramses0 on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 08:28:38 PM EST

ramses0 voted -1 on this story.

No. Post it if you want to. People will read it if they want to. :^)=
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

I think we should focus on longer a... (3.00 / 1) (#7)
by Perpetual Newbie on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 09:19:11 PM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted -1 on this story.

I think we should focus on longer articles and editorials than this one.

Personally, I think that if you fin... (3.00 / 1) (#3)
by joeyo on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 09:20:01 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

Personally, I think that if you find a story interesting, chances are someone else will find it interesting too. My only guidance would be to suggest that you express your own opinion on the story not just submit a link and an executive summary- tell us why you think it is important, how/if the story changed your opinions, or at the very least give us some choice quotes...

Anything that you feel is relevant ... (4.00 / 1) (#17)
by deimos on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 09:22:37 PM EST

deimos voted 0 on this story.

Anything that you feel is relevant will be voted upon. If it doesn't show up, then you know "we" didn't think it was relevant. Sound fair?
irc.kuro5hin.org: Good Monkeys, Great Typewriters.

how about writing up what you thing... (3.00 / 1) (#18)
by named on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 09:42:47 PM EST

named voted -1 on this story.

how about writing up what you thing & using that as a base for discussion?

Better than asking "shouldn't we?" ... (3.00 / 1) (#13)
by Pseudonymous Coward on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 09:59:57 PM EST

Pseudonymous Coward voted 0 on this story.

Better than asking "shouldn't we?" how about writing them yourself, or calling for a submission? K5 isn't the ideal environment for collaborative editing, but a submission of proposed author's guidelines might be quite welcomed.

See What kind of stories should I s... (4.00 / 1) (#19)
by madams on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 10:05:34 PM EST

madams voted 0 on this story.

See What kind of stories should I submit here? in the FAQ.. /me ponders while writing this submission moderation comment whether other people have already suggested this. Oh well, no way to know until I click Vote.

Mark Adams
"But pay no attention to anonymous charges, for they are a bad precedent and are not worthy of our age." - Trajan's reply to Pliny the Younger, 112 A.D.

I think the focus should by as dyna... (3.00 / 1) (#9)
by skim123 on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 10:08:23 PM EST

skim123 voted 1 on this story.

I think the focus should by as dynamic as the stories being posted. Post a story if you are unsure if it "qualifies." It will either be accepted or rejected, showing you if the story "fits" or not. Rather than having Rusty define what the site's focus should be, let us, the visitors, define the site, democratically.

PT Barnum

Submit the story. Voting might mak... (3.00 / 1) (#11)
by bobsquatch on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 10:24:14 PM EST

bobsquatch voted 1 on this story.

Submit the story. Voting might makes the story right.

"I believe in meta moderation'... (2.00 / 1) (#21)
by the Epopt on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 10:35:24 PM EST

the Epopt voted -1 on this story.

"I believe in meta moderation's ability to filter the good from the bad...." -- now watch it in action!

Most people who need to be shot need to be shot soon and a lot.
Very few people need to be shot later or just a little.

K5_Arguing_HOWTO
Everything is related, this is a f... (2.00 / 1) (#15)
by SgtPepper on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 11:07:59 PM EST

SgtPepper voted 1 on this story.

Everything is related, this is a free-form site :)

Umm... isn't one of the reasons we ... (4.00 / 1) (#2)
by lachoy on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 11:23:24 PM EST

lachoy voted -1 on this story.

Umm... isn't one of the reasons we have moderation so that WE can choose what k5 should focus on? Of course, this leads to: what happens if a bunch of scientologists (or whomever) invade the site and moderate THEIR stories up but no others?
M-x auto-bs-mode

Elron (4.00 / 1) (#27)
by rusty on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:07:36 AM EST

Then we become a scientology (or whatever) site. Let's hope they never hear about it eh?

Another funny thought is, what if we follow the slashdot life trajectory? Get really popular, and then get invaded by trolls. We'd actually become a troll site, instead of being a troll site pretending to be a tech news site. And wouldn't that be amusing. I can't decide which fate is worse, though.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Elron (3.00 / 1) (#30)
by Anonymous Hero on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 09:39:37 AM EST

"a troll site pretending to be a tech news site"

-- ooooh!! nice dig, and totally true!

p.s. the trolls are one of slashdot's redeeming features. in a week where they posted some machine's boot logs, some boring screen shots, top ten algorithms of the century, a Javaone report, the trolls (and even haikus) are the only thing that keep the place worth reading.

It would be nice if K5 had a longer moderation queue, but if that's the cream of the Slashdot queue then I'm quite content with what we get at the moment!

Re: Elron (none / 0) (#31)
by rusty on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 09:52:24 AM EST

Ha! Interesting thought though. Imagine if K5 was at the place slashdot appears to be now. If the majority of contributing readers were really just into it to out-troll each other, we might just become "News for Trolls" officially, and post nothing but troll- and flamebait stories, for the sheer joy of anarchic foolishness. It'd be weird, but somehow I'd feel like the site was still serving it's purpose, of being the most interesting for the majority of the readers. I'm hoping that won't happen, because of the story moderation stuff-- that is, hopefully there won't be any incentive to troll K5, because it's *your* site, not mine, or Andover's, or VA Linux's or whatever. Who wants to troll their own site?

About the queue, I wish more people would submit stuff. However, the majority of people here tend to like essays more than news tidbits, which kind of necessarily cuts down on volume. There's just less essay-writing than MLP. I still think we actually end up with an amazing number of articles, even with that. Also, articles don't get multi-submitted much, because users can see that someone else has already submitted their news. When you see "356 stories pending" on slashdot, how many of those do you think are different writeups of the same story? I have no idea, but I'm guessing that a generous estimate would be, on average, ten writeups for one story. So our ratio of users to stories is probably about the same as theirs.

____
Not the real rusty

Fork (3.00 / 1) (#34)
by error 404 on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 10:15:27 AM EST

If the trajectory goes too far, forking isn't neccessarily a bad thing.
..................................
Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase
- Donovan

Re: Fork (5.00 / 1) (#37)
by rusty on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 11:40:04 AM EST

This is true. No reason a "site fork" couldn't occur, if there were irreconcilable differences amongst the readership.

____
Not the real rusty
Per the Adams quote (none / 0) (#48)
by kmself on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 12:20:49 PM EST

...some would argue this has already happened. I see K5 as a fork of Slashdot, though the fork is procedural/mechanical (voted submissions, moderation process) rather than topical (excluding troll content).

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Re: Elron (2.00 / 1) (#41)
by Anonymous Hero on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 03:59:17 PM EST

"There is a theory that states that if we ever discover what this universe is, and why it is here, that it will be replaced with something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened."
-- Douglas Adams (paraphrased)

I basically see it as, "Is it inter... (3.00 / 1) (#14)
by confidential on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 11:25:33 PM EST

confidential voted 1 on this story.

I basically see it as, "Is it interesting? Would others find it interesting? Is it non <country>centirc? Does it have discussion value?" and finally "Have we seen it before?" I thing ther "technology and culture, from the trenches" is taken a little too literally by some, and unless it relates directly to technology or their culture, then they vote -1... i dunno, i ramble, so i'm gonna scoot...

I think the issues we should attend... (3.60 / 5) (#1)
by rusty on Mon Jun 12, 2000 at 11:55:06 PM EST

rusty voted -1 on this story.

I think the issues we should attend to are the ones people vote onto the front page. It's that simple, people. Vote for yourselves, not what you think other people want to see. If we were suddenly invaded by 3,000 video game fans, I'd fully expect K5 to become a gaming site. That's the *point* of voting, and that's also why you can't see any scores until you've voted. Please vote your mind! :-) -1 because I think there's been a bit too much navel gazing lately...

____
Not the real rusty

This is a very poignant topic, espe... (4.00 / 1) (#20)
by Potsy on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 12:23:25 AM EST

Potsy voted 1 on this story.

This is a very poignant topic, especially considering the amount of increased traffic this site is getting these days (no doubt due to the occasional mentions of K5 on that <a href="http://slashdot.org>other weblog technology discussion site).

I'm really of two minds here. The way I see it, there are really just two main routes that can be followed:

• Establish guidelines
    I've often thought that K5 should have some kind of guidelines, charter, or manifesto that spell out in more detail what topics are considered good material for the site and what isn't. As for what those guidelines should actually be, I think a more detailed explanation of the original catch phrase, "technology and culture, from the trenches", with examples. Also, the guidelines might include further guidelines for the focus of the ensuing discussions, with examples of good and bad posts. But on the other hand, when I look back at this paragraph, I realize that this whole scheme can sound rather draconian and not in keeping with the idea of a free discussion group, if I think about it a little.
  • Laissez-faire
    On the other hand, it could be said that the focus of K5 is simply whatever the participants choose to make it, and thus anything goes. There should be no guidelines, no examples of what is considered "good". But I can see that this sort of "anything goes" system could lead to the breakdown of any and all intelligent discussion here. And if taken too far, the strict democratic approach could say that even the slogan is hints at a restriction, and is thus an impediment to the freedom of the forum.

Well, I can't really say which approach I favor, except to say most likely a happy medium between the two will be the best approach. I look forward to seeing this hashed out in discussion (did I just endorse choice number 2 from above?)

Re: This is a very poignant topic, espe... (5.00 / 1) (#26)
by rusty on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:04:51 AM EST

1. "Poignant"?

2. I've often thought that K5 should have some kind of guidelines, charter, or manifesto that spell out in more detail what topics are considered good material for the site and what isn't.

Mission statement

FAQ

In case you wondered where I dredged those links up, they're cleverly hidden at the top and bottom of every page.

3. The slogan is there because someone requested that we have a little hint as to direction. See the historical roots of the slogan for more info.
I'm sorry if this sounded just a wee bit bitchy. It's nothing personal, but it amused me that you literally described the contents of two of the top of page links, without apparently having ever noticed that they were there. I think a lot of people's confusion would be soothed if they spent about fifteen minutes poking around those little links that everyone always ignores.

____
Not the real rusty
Re: This is a very poignant topic, espe... (4.00 / 1) (#43)
by Potsy on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 09:12:51 PM EST

Okay, you're right. I should have read the docs (again) before writing that post. I did read them once, but it was a long time ago, and I had forgotten what they said.

At the time I read it, I thought the story was something that needed to be talked about since this site is getting a lot more traffic now. Just a few months ago a typical story got maybe 10-20 comments and the S/N ratio was pretty good. Now a typical story gets twice or even three times that many comments, and some get over 100 comments. I worry that this site, which I enjoy reading a great deal, is quickly going to become like Slashdot, complete with HotGrtis, Portman, and "Frist Post" clogging every discussion.

That said, I think that the "everyone moderates" system here is much better than /., and no matter what, trolls will always want to hang around /. rather than other places, just to get the most exposure. I suppose that all my worry is over nothing, since despite the increased traffic, I haven't seen any trolls here. As you pointed out, the existing documentation does pretty much cover what I was suggesting in my post. And after all, guidelines don't really prevent noise and trolls from entering discussions, so additional docs wouldn't really help anyway.

So in summary, I agree with you about the existing docs being sufficient and summarily withdraw my previous suggestion. And don't worry, I didn't take your response as being "a wee bit bitchy". It was perfectly reasonable, given what I had said.

You would be absolutely amazed at the lengths.... (none / 0) (#47)
by kmself on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 12:09:59 PM EST

...people will go to not see what's clearly and plainly put in front of their eyes.

Repetitive elements, particularly FAQ and similar links, unsubscribe instructions in mailing lists (the number of queries on the SVLUG and debian-user lists stuns me), etc., are often simply glazed over. Worse, slight ambiguities -- whose meaning is painfully clear to someone familiar with a process or product -- are overwhelming to many newcomers. This is an interface element that must be carefully considered.

While the details are emphasized and repeated on the submissions page itself, they might be made a bit clearer in light of experience to date. If I get bored I might wordsmith the FAQ a bit.

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

I'm sick of these stories. IF YOU ... (3.20 / 8) (#8)
by FlinkDelDinky on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 01:26:07 AM EST

FlinkDelDinky voted -1 on this story.

I'm sick of these stories. IF YOU LIKE THE F***ING STORY THEN VOTE FOR IT, if you don't like a story vote against it, if you don't care vote 0. K5 will define itself automagically and doesn't require you to fret over its direction.

Is that such a hard concept to understand?

Re: I'm sick of these stories. IF YOU ... (4.30 / 3) (#25)
by rusty on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:57:46 AM EST

You tell 'em. I was kind of hoping that the whole concept of a user-driven website would mitigate against this kind of question even coming up. Matter of fact, the reason we're a "technology and culture" site to begin with is that that's what people seemed to want to submit, from the start. When I was the only one writing stories here it wasn't actually about technology at all. See the original discussion about this, way back on February 14th. That's my explanation of where technology and culture came from. Enough navel-gazing already. Please just think for yourselves, and everything will work out fine. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Yeah.... (1.00 / 1) (#24)
by Gossi The Dog on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 04:20:00 AM EST

Gossi The Dog voted 1 on this story.

Yeah.
Gossi Da Dawg!

So let's have another go. (3.00 / 1) (#28)
by typo on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 08:26:29 AM EST

I read throught the comments on the story and the main critics where about have written too little and that I should just forget about this because meta moderation is the next best thing since the wheel was invented.

Well, as rusty said "If we were suddenly invaded by 3,000 video game fans, I'd fully expect K5 to become a gaming site" and that's fine. All I was saying is that if K5 does not have those guidelines it will be easier for it to change from technology and culture to Mary's cooking secrets. I'm not saying it will happen, just that it might.

I have no problem with voting for stories. I've been doing that since I came here. My only doubt is if I should vote for what I want to see or if I should try to stay on topic with the site itself. Anyway, I will never vote -1 to a story that I feel is offtopic.

EOT (I hope)

Nothing personal (4.00 / 1) (#29)
by rusty on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 09:36:15 AM EST

Don't take the comments too personally. There have been kind of a lot of meta-stories like this lately-- look at it this way, it got posted. So although there were negative comments, enough people wanted to see it to get it up here.

I understand what you're saying, I just felt that there is a pretty clear focus already, or at least, as clear as there ought to be. Did you write this story after reading the mission statement and the FAQ, and hanging out here for a week or two, seeing what kinds of things got posted?

My feeling is, vote for what you want to see. I'd rather have the readers satisfied than have you all voting for things because they "seem to fit", even though you're not interested. The result of all this is supposed to be that the front page ends up being a snapshot of all of the readers' collective interests and thoughts, pretty much.

To sum up: Vote for you. We'll vote for us. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Saves me the trouble of submitting a meta-discussi (5.00 / 1) (#32)
by Rasputin on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 10:01:57 AM EST

I tend to agree with the majority of comments here, the site will become what it becomes, so let's just enjoy the trip ;)

I have noticed, though, that almost every story that gets submitted eventually makes it to the front page. Even the majority of MLP's with no write-up that I've seen in the queue seem to make it. I have no idea why, since just reading the comments about them, I would expect them to die. Any thoughts about this? I actually suspect that any story that isn't a troll will eventually make it to the front page given enough time in the queue, and I honestly don't know if this is a good thing or not. So far it has been good, but who knows what the future will bring.

I'm sure that this original topic and my slightly tangential babbling would make a very interesting discussion in a meta-discussion area. It seems, though, that for now the majority seems to find these topics quite acceptable for the front page. Or am I wrong about that as well? ;)
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

Re: Saves me the trouble of submitting a meta-disc (3.00 / 1) (#33)
by Alhazred on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 10:08:58 AM EST

I think its fine on the front page, its relevant to all readers, and its not like these topics get so numerous they are a bother.

In fact I think the volume here is pretty low compared to a lot of sites and I think that also explains why almost everything gets posted eventually. There simply aren't enough items to really fill the site, so nothing can really be rejected. I think the true test of this site will be if it has 100k readers, not the few 100 or couple 1000 I suspect use it now. At the level we're at now the moderation system isn't even getting a workout. /. worked fine too at the size Kuro5hin is now.
That is not dead which may eternal lie And with strange aeons death itself may die.
Re: Saves me the trouble of submitting a meta-disc (5.00 / 1) (#35)
by inspire on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 10:25:42 AM EST

The "all stories tend to eventually make it" observation has been discussed for a while in the "What Now?" meta-thread.

You should be able to find an appropriate point to start reading if you go to that thread and search for the word "decay", in relation to a proposed mechanism where stories lose points for staying in the queue too long.
What is the helix?

Re: Saves me the trouble of submitting a meta-disc (4.00 / 1) (#36)
by rusty on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 11:33:20 AM EST

Actually, 1/3 to 1/2 of submissions don't make it. Many people only see the ones that probably will make it. Basically, if you look at the queue once a day, chances are slim that you'll ever see a story that gets voted down. But I have the full list, and believe me, there are a lot that don't fly.

____
Not the real rusty
Could we see that list? (none / 0) (#46)
by kmself on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 12:00:27 PM EST

I think a "bone pile" of discarded stories might be useful -- both as a reference, and to get an idea of what doesn't fly, topically or structurally.

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Vagueness (3.00 / 1) (#38)
by dlc on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 11:46:51 AM EST

I feel that technology and culture is sufficiently vague as to warrant discussion on almost any topic, so I very rarely vote -1, and vote 0 only occasionally. The few times I have voted -1 it has been because of the quality of how the post was written, or because the topic has been beaten to death already, but these occurances are pretty rare.

darren

(darren)

I'd say let k5 *settle* a bit, feature-wise. (3.00 / 1) (#39)
by torpor on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 03:29:55 PM EST

It's in a good state - things are working well, and feature/direction wise, my personal feeling is that it's working well.

The only suggestion I'd make is to work harder on getting a bigger readership, and thus get more stories submitted. I read K5 every day, but quite often there's only 2 or 3 new stories per day - this is simplay a numbers thing.

The engine works, the hull is sound, but I feel that K5 has yet to be cast out to sea ...

So, what about thinking more about ways to increase readership, which would put the existing engine to better use, and give us a lot more content.

Stories are being voted into publication primarily because there are so few of them. Lets see how the quality fairs when there's a few hundred stories in the queue from a few thousand subscribers...
j. -- boink! i have no sig!
Form vs substance (5.00 / 1) (#40)
by End on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 03:48:47 PM EST

I don't really care as much about the subject matter of stuff submitted here, as long as the chosen subject hasn't been already exhausted.

What I do care about is that it be in an acceptable form, and here on kuro5hin that means: write-up. Give some background, do some research, include lots of informative facts and links, and make something more out of it than a link and a single paragraph that equates to "what do you think?"

I believe that using this form is at least as important as choosing a good subject/story. I often find myself getting interested in articles that are about things I know little or nothing about, because they give a good, informative view of the factors involved; something your brain can chew on even without knowing all the facts. In this way you can interest "newbies" in your subject while providing new information to readers of all other levels.

In fact, this was how I got interested in Linux at first; I read some things online that were not really meant for newbies, but they had a lot of information and links. I began reading more, filling in the blanks and assuming things, revising my assumptions, etc. Pretty soon I found I had learned quite a bit through this kind of osmosis.

Also: Please stop double-submitting stories. If you hit submit and you don't like the way it turns out, you can't just hit the back-button, change it and hit submit again! Use the preview button every time you revise it, 'cos once you hit Submit, it's in the queue and there's no changing it.

-JD

Whatever happened to the trenches? (4.00 / 1) (#42)
by Mad Matt on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 07:19:15 PM EST

Looking over all the comments so far I see one thing big and bold:

There has been much mention of `technology and culture' but little mention of `from the trenches'. Isn't K5 about what's happening now, what will happen soon, whatever might be going on if only we knew ... it's about the action.

If enough people are interested then it's going on now and it's from the trenches and it's as much K5 as any technology or culture post.

The focus of K5 is whatever we post and vote for . . . not the other way 'round! :) :) :)

Just my 2 arbitrary monetary units.
Enjoy!
I haven't lost my mind!
I've got it backed up on floppy somewhere.

From a reader non poster.. (1.00 / 1) (#44)
by ejbst25 on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 08:01:46 PM EST

I rarely log in...I never really post...I never really read posts. But I read kuro5hin every day. I am more interested in the latest news than what people have to think about it. No offense to all of you out there..but I at a place and with enough other tech guys that I often don't need to hear yet another opinion. I'd like to see k5 have longer articles...not the here is an article...isn't that spiffy? I'd like to see more writings about something they found interesting in this or that article. I hope that makes sense. -Erik

From a reader non poster.. (2.00 / 1) (#45)
by ejbst25 on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 08:01:51 PM EST

-Erik

Kuro5hin's Focus | 48 comments (48 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)