BeOpen Interview with Warrick Allison of Troll Tech's Qt Library

By in News
Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:35:15 PM EST
Tags: Interviews (all tags)
Interviews

Warwick Allison's interview covers a range of subjects including Open Source business strategy's success and faliure, the GPL, and KDE's ease of use approach. He is a software engineer for the Norwegian software company Troll Tech. A resident of Australia, the fact that he has become a key contributing member to Troll Tech's primary software project, the Qt library, is a sign of how Open Source is already changing the rules of commercial software development.

o interview
o Also by

BeOpen Interview with Warrick Allison of Troll Tech's Qt Library | 15 comments (15 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Simply pasting the first paragraph ... (1.00 / 1) (#8)
by Logan on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 11:42:04 AM EST

Logan voted -1 on this story.

Simply pasting the first paragraph of the page that is linked to isn't very interesting.

Yay, MLP! I don't know why other p... (none / 0) (#3)
by fluffy grue on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 11:43:01 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Yay, MLP! I don't know why other people don't like it so much, I love this stuff. :) I mean, you can't be intellectual and discussion-oriented all day, now, can you? :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

At k5, if you want to post somethin... (none / 0) (#5)
by End on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 11:44:01 AM EST

End voted -1 on this story.

At k5, if you want to post something, do a write-up with informative facts, interesting links, and do it on a relevant topic that has not already been beaten to death. I know us former slashdot people tend think that running a story consists of putting up a link and some pithy comments, but it's done differently here. Don't talk unless you have something to say :-)

-JD

Interesting article... pity about t... (none / 0) (#2)
by kraant on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 11:44:19 AM EST

kraant voted -1 on this story.

Interesting article... pity about the write up
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

It will be interesting to see where... (none / 0) (#11)
by bobm on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 12:15:29 PM EST

bobm voted 1 on this story.

It will be interesting to see where Be is in a couple years (hell, in internet time make that by the end of this year). I have it running on a P200 and it's runs just fine. Problem is that I don't have a bunch of stuff to do with it. It can't be a router (there isn't support for my wireless netcards), it doesn't have drivers to video capture/editing with my video card. I don't have time for games (and there aren't too many for the platform).

Metacomment: I would've liked to se... (none / 0) (#4)
by eann on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 12:52:25 PM EST

eann voted 1 on this story.

Metacomment: I would've liked to see more write-up.

Metacomet: a mountain in northern Connecticut

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

This is an interesting interview, b... (none / 0) (#1)
by lachoy on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 12:54:42 PM EST

lachoy voted 1 on this story.

This is an interesting interview, but I wish the poster would have put a little more thought into the writeup than "highlight first paragraph / copy / paste into k5 textarea"
M-x auto-bs-mode

More write up.... (none / 0) (#7)
by Rasputin on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 01:03:43 PM EST

Rasputin voted -1 on this story.

More write up.
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

We hear very little about Troll Tec... (1.00 / 1) (#12)
by seanl on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 01:54:08 PM EST

seanl voted 1 on this story.

We hear very little about Troll Tech's side of the whole KDE/QT/QPL story. Interesting stuff.

Re: We hear very little about Troll Tec... (none / 0) (#13)
by AArthur on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:43:46 PM EST

Actually the amount of insite seemed plenty for me, although I do agree it would have been neat to get some more insite. Most interesting would be hearing about his feeling about linking a GPL'd KDE app to the QPL'd Qt Library.

After reading his article, I kind of see where he is coming from with the QPL License, although I don't fully agree with it. My biggest problem with the QPL is it has no "recogizion" by the community in general, many don't see the QPL to be a fairly decent license (even though it does past the Debian Guidelines).

Andrew B. Arthur | aarthur@imaclinux.net | http://hvcc.edu/~aa310264

Re: We hear very little about Troll Tec... (none / 0) (#15)
by seanl on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 07:58:47 AM EST

Actually I meant in general we hear very little, whereas in this article we do hear about that stuff which is good. I'll try and be clearer next time :-)

I always like to see interviews wit... (none / 0) (#10)
by Denor on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 02:26:16 PM EST

Denor voted 1 on this story.

I always like to see interviews with the folks behind the scenes.

-Denor

Need more articles not from "the St... (none / 0) (#9)
by yoder on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 04:51:59 PM EST

yoder voted 1 on this story.

Need more articles not from "the States".

"I don't care. (0)" says it all rea... (none / 0) (#6)
by Dangermouse on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:25:17 PM EST

Dangermouse voted 0 on this story.

"I don't care. (0)" says it all really.

-----
No one has "Rights", neither machines nor flesh-and-blood. Persons...have opportunities, not rights, which they do or do not use. - Lazarus Long

Re: (none / 0) (#14)
by AArthur on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:46:43 PM EST

I can understand why many might not care about KDE/Qt since it isn't relevent to them (they use GNOME, another WM, Windows, etc.) Still for those (quite a few) we enjoy hearing about KDE.

I like a good balance of stories on this site. That way there are lots of stories I like, and lots that I don't care for. It's clear the moderation is helpful in choosing stories -- most of them are pretty good on kuro5hin.org :)

Andrew B. Arthur | aarthur@imaclinux.net | http://hvcc.edu/~aa310264

BeOpen Interview with Warrick Allison of Troll Tech's Qt Library | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)