Ladies and Gentlemen: These are Unacceptable Words

By Teneo in News
Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 04:04:23 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

And you guys thought crayz had problems with censorship. Enter Stockport College, an institution, to be sure, but apparently not one of higher learning.

According to this article in today's (13 June) Washington Times, the College has banned thirty-two words from campus. Anyone caught using words like "lady," "gentleman," "history," "chairman," "manmade," "Mrs.," "normal couple" or "postman" could be denied admission or employment at the college.

Now that's what I call hardcore!

--Teneo

o crayz
o this article
o Washington Times
o Also by Teneo

Ladies and Gentlemen: These are Unacceptable Words | 43 comments (43 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Good article -- though worth noting... (3.00 / 2) (#3)
by jredburn on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 02:22:25 PM EST

jredburn voted 1 on this story.

Good article -- though worth noting that I remember the Washington Times as not much of a step up from Weekly World News.

Ladies and gentlemen, this story of... (3.70 / 3) (#6)
by meldroc on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 02:23:53 PM EST

meldroc voted 1 on this story.

Ladies and gentlemen, this story of a college gone mad is crazy enough to get on Kuro5hin, it just has a queer style to it.

Honestly, the story left me sort of... (3.00 / 2) (#13)
by Simpleton on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 02:40:44 PM EST

Simpleton voted -1 on this story.

Honestly, the story left me sort of half way between shock and anger. I've not read any story, ever, which seemed as much like a parody as this. And that is exactly why I gave it a -1... It's so stupid that I can't see anything but unanimous agreement on the part of anyone who reads it. What the hell is left to be said?

It's comforting to know that there ... (none / 0) (#5)
by The Baptist Death Ray on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 02:42:41 PM EST

The Baptist Death Ray voted 1 on this story.

It's comforting to know that there will always be idiots in the world.

The Baptist Death Ray
"The urge to destroy is a creative urge."
- M. Bakunin

They to add the word "intelligence"... (none / 0) (#11)
by w1ldb1ll on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 02:46:35 PM EST

w1ldb1ll voted 1 on this story.

They to add the word "intelligence". They banned it by default.

Anybody ever see PCU? I think that... (none / 0) (#1)
by Neuromancer on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 02:49:03 PM EST

Neuromancer voted 1 on this story.

Anybody ever see PCU? I think that a lot of people just need something to bitch about (whoops!)

Re: Anybody ever see PCU? I think that... (none / 0) (#16)
by bladerunner on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 04:20:36 PM EST

I LOVE that movie.
-Ex-slashdotter. I love cats, but hate Katz.
Re: Anybody ever see PCU? I think that... (none / 0) (#42)
by Neuromancer on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 08:25:28 AM EST

That's such a good movie man.

I thought we'd managed to get past ... (none / 0) (#7)
by Rasputin on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 02:54:58 PM EST

Rasputin voted 1 on this story.

I thought we'd managed to get past being this silly and finally start looking at serious issues. Do these people realize that the level of "political correctness" they're espousing is just as offensive as the attitudes they're trying to suppress?

"Discrimination is discrimination, no matter how right you tell people you are".
Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

censorship and societal control is ... (none / 0) (#14)
by speakpc on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 03:02:15 PM EST

speakpc voted 1 on this story.

censorship and societal control is dangerous to everyone! we need to bring it out in the open and deal with it before it smothers us all to death.
speakpeace

quosh censorship at all costs.... (none / 0) (#4)
by pdk on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 03:09:28 PM EST

pdk voted 1 on this story.

quosh censorship at all costs.

Re: quosh censorship at all costs.... (1.00 / 1) (#27)
by Anonymous Hero on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 08:07:36 PM EST

Or even quash it....

*cough* Freeks *cough*... (none / 0) (#12)
by Rich on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 03:11:06 PM EST

Rich voted 1 on this story.

*cough* Freeks *cough*
I Expect history will be kind to me as i intend to write is. Winston Churchill

Wow. Stupid idiots.... (none / 0) (#2)
by End on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 03:28:42 PM EST

End voted 1 on this story.

Wow. Stupid idiots.

-JD

It's lunacy. ... (none / 0) (#10)
by tzanger on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 03:44:16 PM EST

tzanger voted -1 on this story.

It's lunacy.

PC bullshit doesn't belong on a tech/culture site like this IMO. But then it *is* great for stirring up controversy...

This is so sick - it's interesting!... (none / 0) (#8)
by MeanGene on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 03:47:40 PM EST

MeanGene voted 1 on this story.

This is so sick - it's interesting!

Wow. I've got a word for Stockport ... (none / 0) (#9)
by Anonymous Zero on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 03:58:52 PM EST

Anonymous Zero voted 1 on this story.

Wow. I've got a word for Stockport College: "gimmeafuckingbreak"

Oh, already posted. (none / 0) (#15)
by _cbj on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 04:14:25 PM EST

I was just saying how this was plainly a joke at the expense of the Washington Times. Anyone know of a reliable local source, like www.bbc.co.uk, which has it? (They don't, by the way.) Remarkable the credulity Americans possess.

Go to the source... maybe... (3.00 / 1) (#18)
by Anonymous Commando on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:15:48 PM EST

Haven't found it in any other news sources (not that I really looked that much), but the Stockport College website is at http://www.stockport.ac.uk/.

Not a lot of info there, but I did notice some sections that were quoted in the Washington Times article (including the reference to "clowns of mature age" at their "Celebration of Diversity days" - see the "Equal Opps" section), and most of the stuff there has such a "touchy-feely-huggy" style to it that I have no problem believing that they would institute such a policy...

And just what the hell is a clown of mature age supposed to be, anyhow? :-)
Corporate Jenga™: You take a blockhead from the bottom and you put him on top...

Re: Oh, already posted. (none / 0) (#29)
by dgph on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 02:51:26 AM EST

Reuters has the story. Here is a small excerpt:

The examples come from a list of more than 40 potentially offensive words compiled at Manchester's Stockport College in northwest England as part of an "equal opportunities awareness" course for the staff.

Unlike the WT article, it makes no mention of people potentially being denied employment or admission if they are PC-challenged.

Their website... (4.30 / 3) (#17)
by lhand on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:14:21 PM EST

is http://www.stockport.ac.uk/ and they use "Mrs" as a woman's title there. Also at the student union's web page at http://www.stockportcsu.free-online.co.uk/ they mention the two bars, the Trantor Bar and the Endsleigh Bar. The 4Play Zone is a Saturday night event at the bar.

I think the article belongs in the Inquirer.

Re: Their website... (5.00 / 1) (#19)
by Anonymous Commando on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:20:10 PM EST

Anyone else notice that the title of all the pages on their site is "test2"? One of two things at work here:
  1. Inept HTML programming (possibly a design class project?)
  2. Site isn't meant for public viewing yet
I'm leaning towards the first option, as the site was relatively easy to find with MetaCralwer...
They seem to take astronomy seriously.... heh (none / 0) (#20)
by Buck Satan on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 05:32:12 PM EST

Okay, the site says they now have an astronomy class. Well, they are using a 4 inch telescope. Um, doesn't this school have any money at all??? A four inch scope is good for folks who are getting started in astronomy. But that is it! They are not what you want to be teaching people with!

Maybe these are the people who keep sending me the "Get your college diploma for $25" spams....

Re: They seem to take astronomy seriously.... heh (none / 0) (#22)
by KindBud on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:29:12 PM EST

4 inch refractors were, and still are common at English and American colleges. Alvan Clark didn't produce crapola, his optics are exquisite, and his refractors make fine teaching telescopes. Besides, if this college is anywhere near an urban center, the light pollution would nullify most of the advantage of a larger aperture. Smaller instruments are also less susceptible to poor seeing.

CCD imagers, however, can overcome most of the effects of light pollution. If a CCD is fitted to this 4 inch scope, it can reach 18th magnitude easily, despite the light pollution.

just roll a fatty

Re: They seem to take astronomy seriously.... heh (none / 0) (#23)
by KindBud on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:34:44 PM EST

I rescind my post. I just found the page with a picture of the department store 4 1/2" Newtonian reflector. Sad thing is, they can buy a scope of that size with computerized go-to pointing for under $500 nowadays. Yet they took this one as a donation? Hmmm????

just roll a fatty

Re: Their website... (none / 0) (#24)
by AArthur on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:49:58 PM EST

When they are referring to "Mrs." they mean something like "Hey Mrs., over here -- check this out!". That is using "Mrs." as a subtitue for a person's name, and not using their real name.

Actually, I kind of like the idea, it does make people learn names MUCH faster, and it make college more personal -- no more "Hey, dude -- help me out!"

Andrew B. Arthur | aarthur@imaclinux.net | http://hvcc.edu/~aa310264

Person-chester! (3.20 / 5) (#21)
by Pelorat on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 06:10:21 PM EST

That quote reminds me of a [urban legend?] story I read about a session of Parliament - and I actually found it just now.. gotta love Google:

a little anecdote taken from the annals of the House of Commons in the UK...

At the end of the last century, there was a great "return" to "original" Anglo-Saxon ways and words, and this fashion swept the country. In an attempt to eradicate all the nasty foreign (especially latinate) words that had crept up on English speakers unawares, purists attempted to find Anglo-Saxon equivalents for all sorts of terms.

This purification of the language had, of course, a cultural and nationalistic agenda which naturally enough extended to questions of religious belief and practice. Words of common usage in English, such as Michaelmas and Candlemas and, yes, Christmas, were suddenly spotlighted as preserving perfidious papist attitudes and ideas in the affix "-mas", which is a contraction of the older word "Mass".

One Grand Old Tory in the House rose to denounce this "romanization" of the pure tongue of the Angles and Saxons. This fellow, who rejoiced in the name of Sir Thomas Massey-Massey, proposed the following:

"That all words incorporating this foreign papist incursion should be either replaced outright, or have the word "tide" inserted where the offended syllable currently existed. Hence, we would have "Christ-tide", and "Michael-tide" and so forth."

This daft but apparently harmless notion was being greeted with a roar of approval when one of the members of the opposition sprang to his feet, was recognised by the speaker, and trumpeted:

"I rise to support the motion of Sir To-tide Tidey-Tidey, and move that the House adopt his recommendation immediately!"

He never got to finish, of course, since the howls of laughter drowned out the last words as the original motion was exposed for the unworkable proposition it really was.

And so, in the grand scheme of herstory, ther little tale proves that personkind tends to see cranially-different ideas rightfully mocked and ridiculed and discarded.

Another thought, wouldn't it be a hoot to come up with a "PC-filter", like the Swedish Chef and Redneck web page filters.. just to see how retarded this whole idea of word-banning and -swapping makes the English language sound when implemented.

PC filter (none / 0) (#31)
by WWWWolf on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 05:28:56 AM EST

Debian "filters" package comes with "censor"... it's quite effective. It doesn't seem to like Pablo Pic[BUTTOCKS]o's opinions of computes. And combining with other filters creates a lot of [FORNICATE]ing great stuff!

-- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north...

yeah, well... (2.00 / 1) (#25)
by crayz on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 07:35:41 PM EST

This is somewhat different from normal censorship, but I think most reasonable people are pretty sick of this PC crap by now. Anyone can be offended by anything, and that's just too fucking bad.

There are certain words that I think are very, very offensive, but I still wouldn't use the law to stop people from saying them. But we're not even talking about clear racial/ethnic slurs here...anyone who is offended by the word "history" needs serious medical assistance.

As a side note, I live in the northern United States, and I find the name "New York Yankees" patently offensive, and I demand it be changed immediately.

Memo to the Faculty (4.90 / 9) (#26)
by Skyshadow on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 07:55:29 PM EST

To our tresured faculty --

In regards to our memo of 6-13 concerning the newly-created list of banned words: Several of you have requested a list of alternative words to use in place of these outdated, sexist words and phrases. As such, my 14 year-old has come up with a list based on his latest "Emenem" mp3s:

Lady: Acceptible alternatives include, but are not limited to, slut, ho, ho-bag, douchebag, and several others not listed here. In terms of using the word as a hail (as in the sexist, outdated "Hey lady, you forgot your change"), try using "Yo baby", "Whazup honey" or the ever-popular "You want somma this, bitch?".

Gentleman: While Ms. Williams-Thompson-Tyler, the institution's Women's Studies department chair, recommends "Cock-Man Oppressor", there are also other acceptible terms to be found in the multicultural arena. Simply the word, "Whazzup" has gained prominance lately, but "suckah", "motherfucker" and "cocksucker" are also acceptible alternatives.

History will now be referred to as "back in the day".

-man suffix words: Simply replace the word "man" with "fucker". For example, "postfucker" or "chairfucker", or even (for those of you in colder climates) "snowfucker".

Thank you for your support, fucker.

Re: Memo to the Faculty (none / 0) (#38)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 09:41:59 AM EST

Hehe "I'm attempting to earn my B.A. in Back-in-the-Day"

Re: Memo to the Faculty (none / 0) (#43)
by fluffy grue on Thu Jun 15, 2000 at 09:52:53 PM EST

My god... that is the funniest thing I've read in weeks.

I just had to say that. Thank you.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

PCU (none / 0) (#28)
by Neuromancer on Tue Jun 13, 2000 at 10:49:36 PM EST

See this movie, see this school in parody ;-)

They should join the AHS: (4.00 / 1) (#30)
by pwhysall on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 04:02:44 AM EST

The American Hypen Society is a community-based, not-for-profit, grass-roots conciousness-raising/education-research alliance that seeks to help effectuate the across-the-board self-empowerment of wide-ranging culture-, nationality-, ethnicity-, creed-, gender-, and sexual-orientation defined identity groups by excising all multiculturally-less-than-sensitive terminology from the English language, and replacing it with counter-hegemonic, cruelty-, gender-, bias-, and, if necessary, content-free speech.

The society's motto is "It became necessary to destroy the language in order to save it".

Its headquarters are in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Hmph. (none / 0) (#32)
by WWWWolf on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 05:36:53 AM EST

This is definitely harkkore.

No "history" or such words? I think their life will become hideously complicated... "A person who controls the gone times controls the future times..." =)

What next? Since "postman" was banned, I think they'll ban "mail daemon" too, turning it into... wait, I'm slipping into the realm of Stupid Ancient Jokes, I mean, the field of humorous stories that are considered by majority to be largely unhumorous due to degeneration of humor value over time.

-- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north...

Re: Hmph. (none / 0) (#40)
by crayz on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:40:08 PM EST

From 1984:

'Who controls the past,' ran the Party slogan, 'controls
the future: who controls the present controls the past.'

I don't see why you'd have to change that.

Re: Hmph. (none / 0) (#41)
by WWWWolf on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 02:59:27 PM EST

The mangling of the word "history" just reminded me of 1984 (not that quote though, more indirectly)...

In the book, change of language to suit political needs lead to... do I need to continue? =)

-- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north...

Anyone else don't believe this? (none / 0) (#33)
by Luis Casillas on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 06:44:55 AM EST

I saw that at least one poster was skeptical about this.

Frankly, to me, the article reads like an urban legend. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit that if one went and did a proper investigative job, the whole story could be shot down.

The Washington Post probably isn't telling the tru (none / 0) (#34)
by Paul Crowley on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 06:45:59 AM EST

This story is likely taken from a UK newspaper, and UK newspapers have a grand old tradition of lying about the efforts of institutions to combat bigotry in a way that makes them seem ridiculous, stretching back to the days when the "News of the World" made up a story about a book called "Jenny Lives with Eric and Martin" about a schoolkid brought up by a gay couple being supplied to schoolchildren.

Point me to a Stockton College web page outlining the policy, and I'll believe it. Otherwise, it's probably part of a wider active campaign to promote bigotry by ridiculing attempts to oppose it.
Paul Crowley aka ciphergoth. Crypto and sex politics. Diary.
A Nit (none / 0) (#35)
by pwhysall on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 08:07:35 AM EST

It's Stockport, not Stockton.

I know a couple of people who work at the latter but the former is on the other side of the country :)

Otherwise you appear to have sussed our fine journalistic tradition...
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Oops, left out an important bit: (none / 0) (#36)
by Paul Crowley on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 08:20:47 AM EST

"Jenny lives with Eric and Martin" was real. The story that it was placed on school bookshelves was a lie.

And I should mention that I expect Stockport really have published a document with the title named, which even makes suggestions about appropriate language: I'm just guessing that you wouldn't recognise it from the description.
Paul Crowley aka ciphergoth. Crypto and sex politics. Diary.
They forgot one! (5.00 / 1) (#37)
by HiQ on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 08:25:50 AM EST

They forgot historectomy (zpelling?)
How to make a sig
without having an idea
just made a HiQ
History (4.00 / 1) (#39)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 10:01:53 AM EST

Just for the record; the word "history" has nothing to so with either "his" or "story"; it comes from "historia", meaning "to seek out". The word "herstory" was, I am told, first used by scholarly feminists as a knowing pun, and later taken up by PC types who were, as is usually the case, ignorant of the language they were trying to reform. I've nothing against new coinages, but first ... Read The Fucking Personual.

Ladies and Gentlemen: These are Unacceptable Words | 43 comments (43 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)